Rambert summer school - what is needed?

straceydor

Hi the info packs were sent out third week in May. You should also have been sent a medical/consent form. The deadline for completing the form is this Monday, so if you haven't received it I would strongly recommend to phone the school.

Last year everything was sent by email and quite a way in advance.  I second Mnemo's advice to contact the school (and check your junk mail folders). 

In the meantime, I think the girls needed a black leotard and pink tights for "watching day" with optional black skirt.  For the other days it was any colour and style leotard for ballet, comfortable clothes like shorts and vest tops for contemporary, black footless tights etc. Pointe shoes, flats, packed lunch and plenty to drink.

Girls’ Ballet Uniform: ballet leotard, tights,

soft ballet shoes, hair out of eyes (e.g. bun),

pointe shoes (if already practising pointe)

- Contemporary/Conditioning Uniform:

comfortable clothing that allows movement

(e.g. t-shirt and leggings/dance trousers. No

crop tops), hair out of face, bare feet

- Warm clothing to wear between classes

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Rambert summer school - what is needed?
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 08/03/2020 at 00:40, Dance.Mum said:

We are considering Rambert summer school - can anyone give me insight into what the course is like for a 14 year old?

We have a place on the summer course but have still not decided, assuming if it runs, if this is the right course for us.  Has anyone here had a DC attend?  What did they think about the level of training?  What is the timetable in terms of dance hours and mix? 

Possibly a contentious comment here....but with RBS Soring cancelled & Summer possibly in the balance... should applicants get the £36 each course application fee refunded? TBH, pretty much any other course/institution I would’ve dream of considering this but the Royal a) no doubtedly get more public subsidy than any other dance training institution & b) year on year thousands of us parents fill their coffers with these extortionate fees for them to merely look at photographs....

The return of those £36 fees I’m sure would be very welcome in these difficult times where to maintain dance many are having to invest in flooring/barre/online classes/tech to view these on etc.

I do think it wrong frankly to pay merely to apply to any course, though I do appreciate there is a certain amount of admin required. The course fees charged to attendees I am sure could subsume these costs. I’m equally quite sure that for the £36 application fee, actual auditions for those that prefer could be budgeted & surely provide a better & fairer way to select attendees? Plus give many more the opportunity to experience the Royal in some small way.....

Just a thought! 

18 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Possibly a contentious comment here....but with RBS Soring cancelled & Summer possibly in the balance... should applicants get the £36 each course application fee refunded? TBH, pretty much any other course/institution I would’ve dream of considering this but the Royal a) no doubtedly get more public subsidy than any other dance training institution & b) year on year thousands of us parents fill their coffers with these extortionate fees for them to merely look at photographs....

The return of those £36 fees I’m sure would be very welcome in these difficult times where to maintain dance many are having to invest in flooring/barre/online classes/tech to view these on etc.

I do think it wrong frankly to pay merely to apply to any course, though I do appreciate there is a certain amount of admin required. The course fees charged to attendees I am sure could subsume these costs. I’m equally quite sure that for the £36 application fee, actual auditions for those that prefer could be budgeted & surely provide a better & fairer way to select attendees? Plus give many more the opportunity to experience the Royal in some small way.....

Just a thought! 

I think, like most arts organisations, Royal will be finding themselves in a difficult financial situation this year with the cancellations and refunds they already will have to make for spring and summer, plus the international intensives. A lot of the money they make from the intensives goes towards the school supporting bursaries for students who otherwise couldn't afford to train with the Royal whether it is in full-time training or as a subsidy to the associate programme fees or intensives. By asking for a refund it is taking this money from the most disadvantaged families who really need the additional financial help. I don't think Royal do any of this to make a profit. At the end of the day, I'd rather my £36 went to help an inspiring dancer who really needed the financial help rather than asking for a refund.

Well, in theory..... but if you add up all those fees????? Plus the fact that ALL eligible UK resident students (so could include many Euro students? Happy to to be corrected...) will be offered NDS government funding which is means tested & very generous. Much associate scheme funding comes from again extremely generous support from well known arts supporting foundations - it is on the website. Bursaries you mention are quite possibly going to those outside this criteria....overseas students? Those super talented with multiple offers where an ‘attractive’ offer may secure the student fir the school? Of course this is only supposition in my part....more transparency from all government funded schools I think would be a good idea!!! 

My sympathies to all arts organisations who have quite simply had the rug pulled from under them. I suspect some will be more robust than others....and RBS I am sure will be in less danger of closure/reduced services etc than the vast majority out there. 

Just my own musing OPINIONS expressed here....

• Like 1

The MDS calculations mean that the families of most students are paying as much as they could possibly afford. The calculations don’t take mortgage payments and other commitments and I know of families that have really struggled, despite being funded by MDS. Given that many households are facing a drop in income, this could mean that more than usual are in need of additional support. Are all UK based upper school students also on MDS? Often bursaries are given to upper school as a priority. Hopefully most parents will take the same view as Nala: that their £36 might go towards an emergency bursary for a student that might otherwise have to give up their place.

No, some schools offer MDS but for Upper School the majority, I think, are on DADA. There is no accommodation/maintenance component of DADA except for the very lowest income families. 

However, I am inclined to agree with Peanut with regards to excessive “audition” fees simply for assessing a photograph. 

• Like 1