Benvolio Brandon Lawrence

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the cast I was hoping for - given the two leads are retiring - and the ONLY performance I can currently make .... the Thursday matinee.  Perfect timing :)  .... Thank you BRB.  Shocked at - even now - how undersold that performance is ... and it is MacMillan's R&J!!   Those poor people who think that if it isn't at the ROH ... or by the RB .... it doesn't matter definitely lose out in my book.  Sadly we don't get an opportunity to see the cast shown on the BRB poster - and I've had it twice through the post.  Something tells me that those 26 RB performances of MacMillan's same (that's three more than the current run of the new RB SL) will sell out pretty promptly.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB Romeo and Juliet & mixed programme Sadler's Wells Casting
10 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Shocked at - even now - how undersold that performance is ... and it is MacMillan's R&J!!   

I don't think that BRB has helped itself by announcing the casting so late for a week when both Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are on in London as well.

• Like 6

Lots of Brandon in all performances of the triple bill.  Seems odd to have him as Romeo on the posters but not have him dancing the role.

Either way, if he is not  promoted this season it will be time for a revolution.

• Like 4

Yes, I've been chewing my fingernails (metaphorically) ever since I realised I'd agreed to go to the live relay of Swan Lake with a friend and it was on the first night of R&J!  Oh well, I'd been aiming for the matinee anyway, so it'll be good to be able to give Chi and Nao a send-off.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

Lots of Brandon in all performances of the triple bill.  Seems odd to have him as Romeo on the posters but not have him dancing the role.

Either way, if he is not  promoted this season it will be time for a revolution.

I will be at the barricades with you, 2P!   How I would have loved to see him and Delia dance R&J at Sadler's Wells!  😢

• Like 3

There is just too much on at once, and a limit to the ticket fund and to the number of life's minor, i.e. non-ballet obligations  I can cancel in the next 2 weeks- argh!

May I make a plea again for the use of full or surnames,  as I always get confused by a lot of first name only references?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Those poor people who think that if it isn't at the ROH ... or by the RB .... it doesn't matter definitely lose out in my book.

I hadn't even registered that it was on until I received a flyer in yesterday's post (and even if I had, I wouldn't have been free for any performance in only a 2-day run at my busiest time of year).

It's not that I always ignore SW, or BRB's visits there, but ballet has always been something I have to fit in around opera, and sometimes I forget even to look at what's on at SW.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sim said:

How I would have loved to see him and Delia dance R&J at Sadler's Wells!  😢

And the fact that Brandon Lawrence and Delia Matthews are not cast for Sadlers Wells does rather point to a further lack of marketing awareness on the part of BRB.

Yes, I know that there are many casting considerations in play BUT....................

• Like 3

I see it as giving the London audience an opportunity to say goodbye to three long standing, stellar principals.

Brandon Lawrence was partnering Celine Gittens in R&J in America.  I have no foreknowledge but I am wondering if Delia Matthews may be partnered by Tyrone Singleton in Birmingham (if he has more than one performance and Jenna doesn't).  Delia was partnered IIRC by William Bracewell las time this was performed.

54 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I hadn't even registered that it was on until I received a flyer in yesterday's post (and even if I had, I wouldn't have been free for any performance in only a 2-day run at my busiest time of year).

It's not that I always ignore SW, or BRB's visits there, but ballet has always been something I have to fit in around opera, and sometimes I forget even to look at what's on at SW.

I'm in much the same boat as your good self, Ruth.  Happily on this occasion I can make the matinee ... and it was - miraculously - the cast I really wanted to see as it is my 'last chance saloon' to see them before they retire.  As it is ballet is - or has become - very intermittent at SW.  Still they do have some fine programmes.  The ENB mixed bills are definite highlights - and I look forward to SFB if indeed that is where they are to come as has been here suggested.  

Now that one I had registered, Jan - I hope I can get to see Fille.

Bruce, just checking for your benefit: you mentioned the Thursday matinee (of R&J). You know it's only Tuesday and Wednesday?

I tend to be aware of ENB when they're there, as I "follow" them to a greater extent than I do BRB. And in both cases I'm most likely to go to performances of repertoire which I haven't recently seen a zillion times at the RB (where, if one stands, it's invariably cheaper).

And... it's just occurred to me that I'm on leave next Wednesday!!

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, capybara said:

And the fact that Brandon Lawrence and Delia Matthews are not cast for Sadlers Wells does rather point to a further lack of marketing awareness on the part of BRB.

Yes, I know that there are many casting considerations in play BUT....................

Including whether Delia is still injured, I guess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Now that one I had registered, Jan - I hope I can get to see Fille.

Bruce, just checking for your benefit: you mentioned the Thursday matinee (of R&J). You know it's only Tuesday and Wednesday?

I tend to be aware of ENB when they're there, as I "follow" them to a greater extent than I do BRB. And in both cases I'm most likely to go to performances of repertoire which I haven't recently seen a zillion times at the RB (where, if one stands, it's invariably cheaper).

And... it's just occurred to me that I'm on leave next Wednesday!!

Thanks ... yes, did mean Wednesday ... and, as it happens, I'm at Lohengrin that evening :)  A full day :) ... with a sandwich in between :)

• Like 1

Lucky the matinee is a 2pm start, then, as with a 6pm curtain at Covent Garden you'd struggle to make it in time otherwise.

Does anyone (alison?) know if BRB's less-well-sold performances at SW typically come up at TKTS? Not that they are expensive to start with, but the matinee is quite empty at present and I'd like to get a deal if possible.

I don't really know, Ruth.  I'd hope so, but I'm not sure.  I certainly don't remember seeing any tickets for ENB there recently, and I'm not sure to what extent that's a company-specific policy or down to Sadler's.

• Like 1

I *think* somebody on this forum said one or two performances of the recent ENB/SW mixed bill did come up at TKTS (it wasn't listed on the TKTS website, as I looked on the day in question, but I think there were some available when the poster visited in person).

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I *think* somebody on this forum said one or two performances of the recent ENB/SW mixed bill did come up at TKTS (it wasn't listed on the TKTS website, as I looked on the day in question, but I think there were some available when the poster visited in person).

Ah.  Well, that's a fat lot of use for those of us who rely on the website rather than make a special journey just on the off-chance.

Just now, alison said:

Hmm, did we know that BRB were doing Nutcracker at the Albert Hall again this year, and Hobson's Choice and an unspecified mixed bill at Sadler's Wells next year?

Yes, the Albert Hall gig was announced ages ago as was the whole of the Spring 2019 tour.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2018 at 11:49, RuthE said:

Does anyone (alison?) know if BRB's less-well-sold performances at SW typically come up at TKTS? Not that they are expensive to start with, but the matinee is quite empty at present and I'd like to get a deal if possible.

For the record, TKTS didn’t get it. However as top price is only £35 I treated myself to a decent seat anyway.