San Francisco Ballet to visit London in 2019

Sitting in Hamburg Airport I took the time to catch up on the much valued links section. 

In an Arts Desk review of San Francisco Ballet's Unbound Festival it stated: 

'But when San Francisco Ballet makes one of its rare visits to London next year, .... '

Does anyone know when and where this will be?

Any advice would be much appreciated 

• Like 2

I think that link was one of 'mine' and I admit to having scanned through that vital point!  There's been nothing else on such a visit that I can recall, but might we presume that the venue would be Sadler's Wells?   Possibly a mix of two bills?  Including the 'keepers' from the recent Unbound 2018 season?  (With one in particular, from a personal viewpoint?)  All questions, with no answers just yet.

• Like 1

I can't see that it could be anywhere but Sadler's Wells, given that the Bolshoi will be ensconced in the ROH over the summer.  Thanks for picking up on it, Bruce!  I'll look forward to it.

Thanks to all ... I'm certainly plugging for at least one of the Peck pieces in their rep - It would be the first Peck BALLET if it was ... (and there are plenty now to choose from ... and several have been created for SFB) .... and the Marston piece, Snowblind, which sounds wonderfully intriguing.  Really did appreciate her balletic advancement of the narrative art in Jane Eyre ... much like NB's 1984 or SB's Streetcar ... or ENB's Broken Wings ... or Mark Bruce's Dracula  ... or McGregor's Woolf Works or, indeed, the taught fictive reportage of Obsidian Tear .... or Wheeldon's Winter's Tale ... or Bourne's stunning Lord of the Flies or Pite's bravely inspirational Flight Pattern ... They all have added SO much to the conversation ... I wish MacMillan were around.  I wonder how he would have responded ... because respond I'm sure he would - as he did to/with Cranko.    He too would have moved on ... He would have had to.  It would have been glorious to witness.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

@Bruce Wall Snowblind is indeed an amazing ballet, i loved it, so atmospheric, another example of Marston's brilliant narrative power. On the same evening I also very much enjoyed David Dawson's Amina Aminus, so beautiful to watch one of my favourite ballerinas Sofiane Sylve in this gorgeous ballet. Both ballets were a huge success with cheers and standing ovation. I felt really proud to be English that night. And btw ex RB Solomon Golding really stood out that night too and I think he will go far in this company.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sharon said:

And btw ex RB Solomon Golding really stood out that night too and I think he will go far in this company.

Lovely to hear that about Solomon Golding.   On World Ballet Day 2017, I'm pretty sure I spotted him in a SFB rehearsal segment & hoped he would do well there.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 21/05/2018 at 04:46, Bruce Wall said:

Sitting in Hamburg Airport I took the time to catch up on the much valued links section. 

In an Arts Desk review of San Francisco Ballet's Unbound Festival it stated: 

'But when San Francisco Ballet makes one of its rare visits to London next year, .... '

Does anyone know when and where this will be?

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Just spotted this! https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2019/san-francisco-ballet/

No fewer than four programmes, including a Ratmansky/Shostakovich feast and Cathy Marston's Snowblind - happy days!

Edited by Lizbie1
Duplicate "a" :)
  • Like 6

At last London audiences will get to see the Shostakovich Trilogy ... and a Peck BALLET.  Can't wait for the Marston either .... Think I will go to them all ... Such a fine company ... Watch out for Joseph Walsh .... Superb!  Best news of the day ... so far :)

• Like 4

• John Mallinson changed the title to SFB to visit London in 2019

Thanks, Lizbie.  Normally I would have known this, but since the annual overview of performances sent to me by the ROH instead of the "season" booklets doesn't specify performance dates I wasn't sure.  Okay, will have to fit SFB around the RB for the time being, since we'll have no way of knowing casting by then.

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Thanks, Lizbie.  Normally I would have known this, but since the annual overview of performances sent to me by the ROH instead of the "season" booklets doesn't specify performance dates I wasn't sure.  

I'm indebted to RuthE for her master spreadsheet!

I've just checked, and the ENB Wheeldon Cinderella at the RAH opens on 6th June.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mary said:

Golly, what riches.  But if you had to choose one -- as  I think I will have to - which one would it be please, all those who know more about SFB than I do-? (i.e.  everyone) -?

Mary,  all I can say is that the Ratmansky trilogy is a master work .... one now celebrated by companies around the world.  Moreover, I've seen SFB do two different parts of it on different bills and they were brilliant.  

• Like 6

• alison changed the title to San Francisco Ballet to visit London in 2019

I'm so excited for this!  It's going to be very hard to choose between them.  After reading this thread I will definitely book the Ratmansky but I'm also dying to see literally anything by Peck.  But then the other 2 bills look pretty great too...decisions decisions.

• Like 1