EYB audition

Sugarplummum

Hi can anyone give me a heads up?

My daughter has developed a love of ballet, shes been dancing for nearly 3 years and managed to achieve a distinction in both her pre primary and primary exams. 

For her to be able to gain more experience her teacher suggested she should audition for EYB (they are performing on our doorstep).

Ive put the application in, but so nervous for her as this is the first time shes done anything like this 😣

Could anyone let me know their experience with them, what sort of things do they get them to do in the audition (dd is currently working on grade 1 atm so is still imature in that sense), do you know straight away if you have been successful?

Tia xx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sugarplummum said:

Hi can anyone give me a heads up?

My daughter has developed a love of ballet, shes been dancing for nearly 3 years and managed to achieve a distinction in both her pre primary and primary exams. 

For her to be able to gain more experience her teacher suggested she should audition for EYB (they are performing on our doorstep).

Ive put the application in, but so nervous for her as this is the first time shes done anything like this 😣

Could anyone let me know their experience with them, what sort of things do they get them to do in the audition (dd is currently working on grade 1 atm so is still imature in that sense), do you know straight away if you have been successful?

Tia xx

Absolutely an amazing experience for them my DS has done 3 now and loves it. to work with principal dancers is so exciting for them. they learn so much. They also award out 1/2 and full scholarships.  

Your daughter will love it. x

• Like 1

My two did a senior audition recently but I think the junior audition takes the same format. 

The children are given a number to wear based on when they arrive (ie first there gets number 1) and then they are arranged on stage in rows of ten. The teacher then teaches an exercise which the group will perform in front of the panel and once that exercise is complete that row goes to the back and so on. Sometimes the rows are staggered so that individuals can be seen better and frequently the exercise is danced  one row at a time.

Parents can watch the whole audition and you find out at the end if you have a place. My dds really enjoyed the audition and are very excited about rehearsals and performing this summer.

Good luck!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys, feeling alot less apprehensive about it now, and I suppose she has to start somewhere can't keep wrapping her up in cotton wool. 

Even if it is a no, it sounds like the audition experience itself was invaluable 😊

I've told her she'llprobably come across stuff she hasn't done before but give it your best shot...with a smile 😁

Going to browse the EYB tag now 

Thank you 🤗

• Like 4

On 22/03/2018 at 08:13, MAK said:

My two did a senior audition recently but I think the junior audition takes the same format. 

The children are given a number to wear based on when they arrive (ie first there gets number 1) and then they are arranged on stage in rows of ten. The teacher then teaches an exercise which the group will perform in front of the panel and once that exercise is complete that row goes to the back and so on. Sometimes the rows are staggered so that individuals can be seen better and frequently the exercise is danced  one row at a time.

Parents can watch the whole audition and you find out at the end if you have a place. My dds really enjoyed the audition and are very excited about rehearsals and performing this summer.

Good luck!!

Yes it was the same for juniors

My daughter just did her first EYB audition - I’d say the things we didn’t realise were:

- that they don’t allow any warm up gear (cardigans etc) even though it was freezing, some children had to come off the stage to hand spare clothes back

- that it goes on for ages (go to the loo first!)

- that there are lots of children so there’s a lot of waiting at the back or in the wings in a pack with 100 others, until it’s the turn for your line, and you need to keep your ears open for your number (and definitely remember your number!)

- that at the end it’s just ‘stand up if your number is called’, and those are the ones who get a place.

Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugarplummum said:

@Confuddled thank you 

Did your daughter enjoy it?

Is this her first time auditioning for anything? X

She did enjoy it (more than I did, I found it nerve-wracking watching). She hadn’t done a big audition with parents watching before, but she had done a couple for our local youth ballet (which is organised differently, and has far fewer children auditioning). If your daughter likes performing / an audience then I would have thought she’d be fine.

It is pretty hard if they’re not picked, though, as there’s nowhere to hide. At least getting a letter or e-mail later they can have a cry in the privacy of their own home and then put a brave face on it later if necessary. I was ready to make a quick escape if she hadn’t got in, as she wouldn’t have wanted commiserations / questions from the friends she auditioned with.

• Like 3

that  is the worry isnt it, the rejection. 

But I have tried to prepare her for it explaining that 50 dancers wont get in and it dosnt mean you are a bad dancer 😊

I agree that it is exposing and like you I'll be getting ready to run with her out of the nearest exit 🙈

• Like 1

DD didn’t get into EYB until her 3rd audition and then it was from the reserve list. She is very grateful it didn’t happen instantly. I think it was harder for me than her but it made her want it even more and work hard. She only ever audition as a senior and has gone on to perform with EYB 5 times now and is now at vocational 6th form. 

• Like 2

When we auditioned DD was in the first group of 10 so she had a lot of waiting around. My advice is to hang back a while before registering so your DD is given a higher number. That way she will get to see how the other auditionees dance. 

DD wasn't successful but she wasn't too bothered. All her dance classes were on Saturdays back then and she wanted to be at her weekly classes with her friends. 

Edited by Tatasmum
  • Like 2

When our dds attended they rotated the rows after each exercise so it seemed fairly even. We had also been given advice to show that you are enjoying yourself (smile!) and the old one: "wrong and strong" 😉

• Like 1

Good luck 

my dd first auditioned age 8 and our intention was “for the experience” and we were delighted for her when she got offered a place

it was a huge turning point for her and she fell in love with ballet after her first EYB

this was 6 years ago and at the time the children who did not get their numbers called out and offered a place cried. This was heart wrenching and our first experience of anything like that. There were parents literally clambering over chairs to get to their crying child on stage. Last year dd did another EYB as a senior and after the numbers were called the children not selected were taken into another room and spoken with and I don’t know what eyb staff said to them but when they came out there were no tears. Big improvement from our experience. I’m only telling you this as hopefully this is a new format and if anyone tells you that the audition can be upsetting or harsh, then hopefully things have changed from what I saw last year, 

my dd has done eyb 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time. 

As as others have said it’s fairly basic exercises to start with but they get a little trickier as the audition goes on. There are some audition tips on the eyb website too

have fun 

• Like 1

Good luck from here too!

Yes, as long as you go with hope more than expectation, and treat it as a learning experience, then it should be a positive experience. Miss Lewis manages to combine professionalism with kindness.

Even if there's crying/disappointment to begin with, it can lead to more resilience and determination in the future.

We all have to start somewhere, and this is a great place to start...

Edited by thewinelake
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

Can anyone tell me is the senior audition all on pointe? Or is it still in flats?

thanks

Senior audition is in flat shoes. The instructions say to bring pointe shoes if you have them, but I've never known here be any pointe work in the audition - it's usually saved til the casting day.