Pointe Shoe Prep Question!

ArucariaBallerina

I think some people prefer to wear a bit before darning if the satin is too stuck down as wearing kind of loosens it a bit to get needle in. However we've always darned straight away as dd doesn't want to do anything in pointes if slippery.

ive steamed the top of a pair gently over a kettle for a few seconds just to loosen by rubbing the satin and just get needle in a bit easier 

20 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

My dd point blank refuses to darn her pointes!

My dd did a pair with a sort of wide, lazy spiral. Took for ever though, if the Bayeux tapestry had been one of her projects would still be stitching the last panel.

Hello again, thank you for all your replies!

Im going to break them in slightly first so the satin is easier to cut away, as I'm a bit scared of pointe shoes and water together! It was hard the first time I had to burn the ribbons to stop the fray (it was so worth it though!) 

i just need need a bit of darning advice... For my previous pointe shoes I simply used a satin stitch around the perimeter of the platform, but I've heard lots of dancers use a blanket stitch or a chain stitch... Are these better? Also, I've heard many people do the whole platform (they must have a lot of time on their hand... Took me about an hour to darn one shoe just around the outside!), is this the 'best way' ? 

I use a blanket stitch across the full platform as this is what DD prefers - it gives her more stability she feels.

I can now do elastics, ribbons and darning in roughly 2 hours per shoe - just find a good movie from Netflix, pop it on and get comfy.  Not wanting to boast too much, but my shoe preparation has been called out by many of her teachers as outstanding (she says with just a slightly smug expression :rolleyes:!)

Yes I know she should do these herself but I feel it's a fair trade - I prepare her shoes and she does the long list of household chores that I prepare for her AND I receive 'on demand' cups of tea as required.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, ballettaxi said:

I can now do elastics, ribbons and darning in roughly 2 hours per shoe 

Now you see... this is where I start dreading DD getting point shoes as I don't think I ever have 2hrs to sit down! 

Understand what you're saying Pixiewoo - I should have added that those 2 hours tend to be very late on a Saturday night (I'm such a party animal) and my I'm struggling to keep my eyes open by the end of each shoe - but needs must.

• Like 1

My dd and I sew her pointes together, I darn ( Perimeter of pointe x 2 in blanket stitch) and she sews ribbons and elastics! In front of a good film our production line manages two pairs in 1 1/2 hrs !!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 09:26, ArucariaBallerina said:

i just need need a bit of darning advice... For my previous pointe shoes I simply used a satin stitch around the perimeter of the platform, but I've heard lots of dancers use a blanket stitch or a chain stitch... Are these better? Also, I've heard many people do the whole platform (they must have a lot of time on their hand... Took me about an hour to darn one shoe just around the outside!), is this the 'best way' ? 

Hello Acuraria,

As I'm sure you know, preparing Pointe shoes is a very personal thing and is also determined by the floor you will be dancing on. The technique that I find works very well for darning is to cut the satin from the platform and toe pleats that run from sole to plaform, wear the shoes a few times, then do a blanket/chain stitch round and round the cut satin edge on the edge of the platform. I like to get this stitch really chunky, almost like a rim. This helps with traction, and gives a nice line to the foot. If your shoes mis-shape with use you can add more layers of chain stitch to level out the platform. I don't darn the platform itself at all I leave it as raw canvas. There is no way 'better' than another though really :)

Edited by _emeralds
Clarity

Finished in a record of 30 mins per shoe! I opted for a blanket stitch and think it looks rather more beautiful! It was hard though, as Russian Pointe satin appears to be superglued to box, and I have only worn them once! 

Edited by ArucariaBallerina
Forgot to add text!
  • Like 2

DD is only a non-vocational student, so we may be entirely wrong...but I start with new shoes, cut nothing, steam nothing, but work a series of horseshoe-shaped loops of chain stitch from the edge of the sole, round the top of the platform, and back again. Once the full area between platform and sole is full (it's narrower than the platform) I end up with more of a spiral centred on the platform itself. There isn't any satin visible between the rows, and I use a straight needle.

I can do a pair including ribbons in an evening, though I have to say my speed has increased and I've done sewing all my life (I made my own clothes from early teenage, and still make many of DD's costumes - don't do Lycra stuff, though, as until recently i used a 1950s sewing machine that only really did straight stitching)

It is very very sturdy, and DD likes it! Nearest picture to what it ends up looking like is a cross between the end of the shoe looking like this http://www.infobarrel.com/Media/Pointe_Shoe_Darning(though my chain stitch is smaller and closer together) and the ones shown here (though I use chain stitch not blanket stitch)  http://doasido.weebly.com/blog/how-i-darn-pointe-shoes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 10:03, ballettaxi said:

I use a blanket stitch across the full platform as this is what DD prefers - it gives her more stability she feels.

I can now do elastics, ribbons and darning in roughly 2 hours per shoe - just find a good movie from Netflix, pop it on and get comfy.  Not wanting to boast too much, but my shoe preparation has been called out by many of her teachers as outstanding (she says with just a slightly smug expression :rolleyes:!)

Yes I know she should do these herself but I feel it's a fair trade - I prepare her shoes and she does the long list of household chores that I prepare for her AND I receive 'on demand' cups of tea as required.

That's my method as well fortunately or unfortunately (depending on which way you are looking at it). It now only takes me 45 mins for each shoe. Full darn, elastic and ribbons. 

My housework list has had to be shortened ;)

• Like 1