Raising funding independently for 6th form dance course

529015A

It was Tala Lee Turton who went to Bolshoi. Her website is talaleeturton Wordpress. You can contact her/read about her journey.

You can try and raise funds on gofundme but be prepared to get some negative comments as some people don't realise the hardship of getting a place. Recently I read one and some comments were suggesting dancers should just go to normal college. However other people had donated so you never know.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi ... Not sure if anyone has suggested turn2us . It is a charity search there are hundreds of charities and benefactors you can search through some will be specific for your area and circumstances , some quite random if you have the surname McDonald or are descended from certain clans.

Out of the hundreds I found around 4 that fit the criteria for my dd although I had no cause to apply in the end .I have heard of one young man who was funded for a course in our area although not to the tune of £90,000.

As I am sure you know it is a massive undertaking trying to raise such a large amount and another factor to take into consideration is , that if your dd felt it wasn't what she wanted in the end the money would have to be paid back.

• Like 1

Which would likely be the case for most people - 90K is a lot of money over 3 years plus all the other expenses that arise. Maybe focus on courses that are classed as degrees then your dd can access the same funding arrangements as your older children at university.

Can I just clarify a point...so dance degree courses ...you can apply for the same loans as standard degrees?

Out of interest how does anyone deal with the funding situation for London Studio Centre, without the full student loan. If her audition were to be successful am sure DD would love to go there. Realise at the audition they talked about making up the gap with scholarships etc. Got the impression these are largely means tested? We usually fall into a category where you don't then qualify, but realistically don't feel we can fund things when , for example, still paying a mortgage and already funding a child a uni it's still really out of reach!

Can I just clarify a point...so dance degree courses ...you can apply for the same loans as standard degrees?

Absolutely you can. Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance. The conservatoire linked schools can access £9,000 pa tuition fee loan. Ballet West is a private university so its the £6,000 pa figure. Don't forget these are loans, but the student doesn't have to repay until salary reaches a threshold - so not a major worry for your average dancer! I've quoted figures for England, other parts of UK are slightly different. If you apply for a non degree course and then don't succeed in securing funding other options include treating it as per any other independent school 6th form offer. It helps to do some advance planning here and be completely realistic about what you are prepared to do to raise the finance. There are options other than passing round a hat, but it is a highly personal decision and needs expert advice. The costs for 3 years sound pretty horrendous especially for a boarding place, but I honestly think that you have to plan for this eventuality, as the worst possible outcome must be to have to take a child away from a school because the money has run out.

Absolutely you can. Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance. The conservatoire linked schools can access £9,000 pa tuition fee loan. Ballet West is a private university so its the £6,000 pa figure. Don't forget these are loans, but the student doesn't have to repay until salary reaches a threshold - so not a major worry for your average dancer! I've quoted figures for England, other parts of UK are slightly different. If you apply for a non degree course and then don't succeed in securing funding other options include treating it as per any other independent school 6th form offer. It helps to do some advance planning here and be completely realistic about what you are prepared to do to raise the finance. There are options other than passing round a hat, but it is a highly personal decision and needs expert advice. The costs for 3 years sound pretty horrendous especially for a boarding place, but I honestly think that you have to plan for this eventuality, as the worst possible outcome must be to have to take a child away from a school because the money has run out.

Thank you, that really helps.

I would just like to add that with Ballet West you can take out the student loan for £6000 tuition fees and maintenance loan.If however your child drops out of the course part way through the year you are no longer entitled for the student loans.This leaves a shortfall and Ballet West expect you to pay the remaining balance to them for tuition fees and accommodation for the rest of the year.

Aileen - maintenance grants have been abolished but loans are still available. Up until recently, for low income families there was the possibility of a non repayable grant towards living expenses but that has now been withdrawn. Everyone can apply for a maintenance loan, but it's means tested and obviously has to be repaid in the same way as the loan for fees. I suspect that most parents end up having to "top up" their child's maintenance loan significantly - we certainly do as DD only entitled to the minimum. (I'm glad the gaps between my children mean that if all goes smoothly I will never have more than one in higher education at the same time, though I will probably have to work til I am about 103 to fund it all!)

• Like 4

Sorry, I misread an earlier post. Maintenance LOANS are, of course, still available. It's maintenance GRANTS which are being abolished, I think. As others have said, the loans are often insufficient to cover living costs. Parents have to top them up and / or students have to work during the holidays and perhaps during term time. However, the nature and intensity of upper school training would probably make a term time job impractical if not impossible.

Sorry, I misread an earlier post. Maintenance LOANS are, of course, still available. It's maintenance GRANTS which are being abolished, I think. As others have said, the loans are often insufficient to cover living costs. Parents have to top them up and / or students have to work during the holidays and perhaps during term time. However, the nature and intensity of upper school training would probably make a term time job impractical if not impossible.

On the induction day parents' talk at my dd's upper school we were told that they recommend that students don't take a part-time job as it is so physically demanding.  They would be too tired, and need to rest when they aren't at school.

Yes, my DD set off with every intention of getting a job in her spare time, and had in fact found somewhere. But when it actually came to it she found that spare time was too infrequent, too unpredictable and too valuable so she abandoned the idea of a term time job. She does work in the holidays though.

529015A....Earlier on in this thread I mentioned bursaries and although it's worth a try I imagine that even if you were awarded one and if you have to cover your DD's accomodation, food etc it may be a very high mountain to climb.....My non dancing DS has had to work part time since he's been at uni, it's been difficult, but he's managed so far, but to be honest I can't see how my dancing DS would have the time or the energy to do the same (although I do know students who have done it - but post 18). It is obviously a very personal choice, but perhaps (as has been mentioned) look at the courses which are eligible for student funding...I know that Rambert for example accepts students from the age of 16....Your DD would leave with a BA, and a student loan to pay back....but still possibly more economic than Tring. Once again good luck. X

The gap between costs and funding seems to grow ever wider :( . My dd was thrilled to discover that she had been awarded a bursary in recognition of getting a full time offer... it was for £50....not that we are ungrateful. Every little helps as they say, the whole system is just out of kilter...

As I expected no luck with funding . I have had back 3 replies out of 17 . It seems to be only organisations are supported and not individuals or on the other hand low income families .

On a much more positive note and offers from elsewhere dd has decided on one and can't wait to start in September . Thankyou all for advice & suggestions .

• Like 10