Raising funding independently for 6th form dance course

529015A

Has anyone had the experience of trying to raise funding independently ? My dd has been given a place on a 6th form dance course but very sadly no funding and without help she cannot except the offer .

I have already contacted my local education authority but because we are 'choosing'to send her to an independent school they cannot help financially . I have written to approx 16 or more Charitable Trusts associated with the performing arts but a lot support clubs and not individuals .

Unfortunately I am on a time limit as registration forms and a large deposit need to be completed very soon and to be honest if I cannot get the funding in time the deposit is needed elsewhere .

Check with the school also to see if they hold a list of organisations/charities that have previously helped students .

I have known some people raise money through gofundme as well, though none I personally know of have raised enough to actually cover funding.

As well as your local library, check out local charitable organisations through your local county services webpages.  I think with most charities you are lucky to get donations into the hundreds though, let alone the thousands.

Asking about bursaries is always a good idea. Do you have links with a Rotary Club or similar in your area? Charitable organisations like that often have small bursaries available.

I'm not sure if your daughter is currently in full-time training but don't forget the numerous other expenses associated with dance training - as well as tuition fees you may have to pay for accommodation, uniform, private health insurance, dance shoes, food, exam entry fees, music lessons...and even now I've probably missed something.

I take it the school isn't eligible for student finance, or part of the DaDa scheme? Did your daughter audition elsewhere that she's still waiting to hear from?

2dancersmum , I rang the school as soon as we got the offer and the only person who can give me a list they use is away on leave until the Friday 17th and forms need to be by tues 21st .

Lisa O'Brien , unfortunately it's 6th form so you can only audition once .

As a parent you feel so badly for your child knowing how much they want this and how hard they have trained for it then you can't help them at this last hurdle .

• Like 2

It's a Trinity level 6 Diploma and yes they do have Dada's but unfortunately can't offer them for this years intake due to an error when applying this time round . They have scholarships but dd has been offered her place without this .

Dd is auditioning elsewhere as well .

• Like 1

I will do everything I can within in the next week but if nothing comes up then at least I can look back and say I have tried and dd completely understands that .

It's just a shame that she's good enough to get a place but can't take it .

• Like 2

I will do everything I can within in the next week but if nothing comes up then at least I can look back and say I have tried and dd completely understands that .

It's just a shame that she's good enough to get a place but can't take it .

I feel for you....Are there other options for her (CAT schemes, RAD BA, Laban, Rambert.... European Schools etc) which may be financially achievable ? x 

• Like 2

Thankyou for your all your replies . I was hoping there maybe a parent out there who had actually had the same scenario who may say either 'yes' it is possible to get private funding or a case of ' I tried 'but it didn't happen for one reason of another .

As parents , we both work , earn a decent living and have two children at uni who we support already but 30k plus a year for fees is not achievable for dc no3 .

They screwed up the student finance stuff (for all their students presumably) and they can't send you a list that they already have? Are they possibly...not that great?

This years intake of 6th formers can not access DADA due to (in my view) one hell of a cock up! It actusllly does not effect any other funding or year groups. They did put a scholarship/bursary fund in place to offset the error but no one knows what that looks like yet. Every year there are students who are offered unfunded places regardless of the current situation. I would suggest that if dd is good enough to get an offer (Even an unfunded one) then she will soon be looking at an offer from another school which will be funded in some way. The best of luck, this is a difficult, uncertain time for everyone but there is still a long way to go until decisions are finalised and places settle.

• Like 3

Thankyou for your all your replies . I was hoping there maybe a parent out there who had actually had the same scenario who may say either 'yes' it is possible to get private funding or a case of ' I tried 'but it didn't happen for one reason of another .

As parents , we both work , earn a decent living and have two children at uni who we support already but 30k plus a year for fees is not achievable for dc no3 .

Which would likely be the case for most people - 90K is a lot of money over 3 years plus all the other expenses that arise. Maybe focus on courses that are classed as degrees then your dd can access the same funding arrangements as your older children at university.

It's a Trinity level 6 Diploma and yes they do have Dada's but unfortunately can't offer them for this years intake due to an error when applying this time round . They have scholarships but dd has been offered her place without this .

Dd is auditioning elsewhere as well .

Has your dd done any local theatre work or anything linked to a local company?  My dd's 16 year old friend, who is in a similar position, having done several consecutive years of panto at local theatre, has contacted them to ask for sponsorship. It is ongoing, but she received a very positive reaction and they said they sometimes do.

• Like 1

Possibly not what you want to hear,but I do know of a couple of girls who were in this position who tried but we're unsuccessful at raising funding but were unsuccessful unfortunately. Most of the charities etc they approached would not support individuals, only community groups etc. One girl eventually got a funded offer elsewhere, the other, I believe, self funded through some kind of loan, but it wasn't student finance. I don't know the details or know the family well enough to ask though I'm afraid.

Has your dd done any local theatre work or anything linked to a local company?  My dd's 16 year old friend, who is in a similar position, having done several consecutive years of panto at local theatre, has contacted them to ask for sponsorship. It is ongoing, but she received a very positive reaction and they said they sometimes do.

Hello Rosebud and welcome to the Forum!

Given the amount of money involved and the very short time scale, I would have thought it unlikely that you could fund raise such a large sum. However there are other ways of meeting fees payment which may be right for you depending on your circumstances. Have a look at some of the websites aimed for general independent education (The Daily Telegraph do a lot). Some people get help from grandparents that goes directly to the child thus utilising the childs own tax allowance. Other parents aged 55 years and over with a solid pension fund do a cash draw down (but take a hit on their future income). You do need to get excellent advice though and make sure that you understand both the short and long term implications. Not just for you but for your whole family. One of my children has a scholarship at an independent school, and whist she has done really well and I will never regret sending her there, it means we drive a 12-year old car and have cheap holidays in the UK (whilst both parents are working flat out) because the scholarship only covers part of the cost. We are actually looking forward to her going to University because it will be cheaper. I really hope that it all works out for the best for you, Good Luck!

Well clearly it is possible to raise the funds because I read a newspaper article about the British girl who recently graduated from the Bolshoi ballet academy. The article said that her mother raised £15,000 in three months to pay for her first year of study.

Very inspiring and admirable, especially as I think she must have initiated all sorts of money raising events and sought sponsorship by herself. I'd love to here more about this. I think she contributes to this forum sometimes...

I think fundraising for the Bolshoi is perhaps more likely to have success than a school over here, simply because so few British students ever get offered a place there. This means it often attracts a lot of publicity with articles in local or national newspapers, interviews etc and so often a lot more support can be gained for the gofundme fundraising campaigns for these individuals.  As I said before, I have known several students who have attempted to raise funds for UK school but never enough to cover fees, not even close.

It is a real shame when a child is good enough to get a place but  funding is either not available or  not offered to them.  My DD always knew we could only accept a place with funding and she was lucky. Its not a nice situation to be in

Kat09, luckily I have my head screwed on the right way and won't be doing that .

I know all about degree courses and student finance as have two at uni already .

Dd may or may not have auditioned for one or half a dozen places covering degrees , HND's and level 6 diplomas but my original post was ' has anyone had experience of trying to raise funding independently' and a couple of people have said they have heard people have tried but it's no way near the amount required so I think that answers my original question.

Thankyou for all your replies and suggestions though .

Yes, I agree with 2dancersmum. Whilst I don't imagine it is actually easy to raise funds for anywhere, it's probably easier to interest people in contributing to a fund for the Bolshoi than just about anywhere else. Even people who have little or no interest in ballet have heard of the Bolshoi and will recognise that it's a big achievement and an amazing opportunity to win a place there. But your average person in the street probably hasn't even heard of any of the schools in this country except perhaps the Royal Ballet School so there won't be the same level of interest. There is of course no harm in trying, but from my observations I would think it's unlikely to be possible to raise the full amount unless you are lucky enough to find a generous sponsor.

We restricted DD's auditions to degree courses eligible for student finance for this very reason. There were a number of Diploma courses that she would have loved to try for, but we wouldn't have been eligible for a DaDA even if she proved good enough to win one, and with 2 other children to consider, self funding was not a realistic option. It's a very difficult situation, especially if you have other children - I hope everything works out for your daughter in the end OP.

• Like 1

My advice would not to be to take a 2nd mortgage!!

Oh I absolutely agree. But there are some people who would absolutely do whatever it took for their child, including re-mortgaging the house,if need be, rightly or wrongly. I merely thought I would mention it in case it was something she hadn't thought of. Best to look at every single angle. As for the degree option, this sounds the most practical. Would your DD need to have A Levels first though? Not sure how degrees at dance vocational schools work.