GCSE subject choices

stardancer

Hi I homeschool my dd and this week we are in a bit of a dilemma .my dd has any choice to take any gcse ,but what do the vocational schools require you to have.

I had no joy with any of them ,although very friendly ,they are telling me not to put to much in to it,what I am asking is my dd is going to take english ,French,and Japanese ,and maybe gcse dance,should she take maths and biology ,or is it not needed,funds are getting very tight with dance fees aswell

English & Maths definitely, and another language would be helpful. None of the vocational upper schools are bothered whether you have GCSE Dance or not, so it might be better to do another subject instead. 

Although maybe avoid coursework-heavy subjects such as Art (unless it is one of your DC's best subjects) because there is a huge amount of homework and someone who dances every evening/weekend might struggle to get it done.

Are you in the UK?

• Like 1

If a UK child does not have a grade C (or whatever they decide the 1-9 equivalent will be) in maths & English then they have to re-take them until they pass.

If your child goes to a vocational school where a levels are studied they may have to prove competence but I know home educated children are allowed to go onto a level courses without formal qualifications.

If it's a degree/diploma course different arrangements may apply but again children are expected to retake maths & English if they hsvnt passed them.

• Like 1

What is your dd's plan if she doesn't get into vocational school for sixth form? If it is a local college or sixth form I would be asking them what their entry requirements are. Vocational school will offer places on dance potential alone but as you know places are hard to come by and she needs a plan b.

The school with DaDA funding expect their students to study at diploma level. Elmhurst with 2 A levels squeezed in too. Central, Rambert, RCS degree level.

• Like 3

Hi I think maths it is ,and thank you for the tip on the art ,my dd will not be taking that,although art is very beautiful.

I phoned elmhurst and they told me as long as she takes one a level,the royal also but tring said no gcses but five would be lovely at A to C,and a levels do not have to be taken.

How true is any of the information I have been given

For a normal 6th form I think they expect you to have a minimum of 5 GCSEs in order to study A levels. These would include English and Maths - as another poster said if grade c (or equivalent in the new system) is not achieved a student has to retake until the age of 18. So it might not apply to your DD but given that these 2 subjects are expected, they would be good ones for her to attain.

For other subjects, I think it really is a case of what interests your DD and what she might do best in. At the parents talk for Northern Ballet, GCSEs were talked about - the Principal was only interested in how many GCSEs were predicted at GCSE and not what the subjects were. She made it quite clear that when she asked the students in their mini interview she was looking for a number and no further detail and she mentioned 5 as guideline for minimum - just to give them an idea.

Any vocational school is however mostly interested in the audition and the dance ability and not the number of academic qualifications. This is especially true when the child has not followed typical UK schooling ie home schooled, different age at entry, coming from a different country. I do know of students at vocational school without GCSEs, who have successfully gained places - not necessarily from abroad.

I believe it is correct that you do not need to do A levels at Tring. Other ballet schools without compulsory A levels include Central School of Ballet and Northern Ballet. I know Central in their 'how to apply' section do list their entry requirements. Not sure if you have considered there.

• Like 1

If you're "future proofing" your DD's CV, then English and Maths are essential. She may not need them for vocational dance, but a dancer's career is short, and she'll need them later. Although if she's not a natural in Maths, then she could pick up a Maths GCSE as an adult later, but it might limit her options.

I'd add in a foreign language as well. If she dances professionally, it may not be in the UK, so facility and practice in learning a language would be a good preparation for this. She may not end up dancing in the language she learns, but it will give her confidence and experience in learning another language.

Then, if you're training an artist and a theatre practitioner, maybe some subjects that will help this? English is the obvious subject, but then what about Art, or Drama, or Photography? All subjects which will give her skills and experience in composition, experimentation with genres and styles, a visual/literary sense of creating and appreciating art. 

We forget that dancers are training to be artists, and we should equip them with a working knowledge of aesthetics.

• Like 2

I do not know what the vocational schools require students to achieve at GCSE level in order to study A'Levels. However, if our DD had stayed on at her local school, she would only be allowed to study A'Levels if she had achieved A* (or possibly A) at GCSE level in the subjects she had chosen. Also, for certain A'Level subjects (such as chemistry), a very high grade such as A/A* in GCSE maths would be required in order to study further. The school obtains excellent AS and A'Level results, so I believe their approach is working.

A'Levels (and AS Levels where they still exist) are a big step up from GCSE examinations. They may seem a long way away, but it is good to think ahead about what subjects may be chosen as your choice of GCSE subjects can affect your future A'Level choices.

• Like 1

This might be of some help: https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/508/What-are-my-GCSE-Options%3F

If your dd was at school, I think she would have to study the core subjects of Maths, English Language, English Literature and at least one science subject. These are the minimum I would think a student would need to get a good non-dancing job, and almost every career would require a minimum of pass in both Maths and English or equivalent.

To be perfectly honest, no dance student is guaranteed a job as a dancer when leaving school - the exception being Royal Ballet Upper School students, but even they can get injured/assessed out/change their minds. Injuries are common in the first year of 16+ training and sadly, some can be serious; even meaning a change of career choice. And as people have already said, a dancer's career is really relatively short. To keep their options open - for even the most dedicated dancer should be allowed to change their mind and decide to do something completely different - it makes sense for dance students to have a reasonable set of GCSEs, core subjects at a minimum plus a language and/or a humanities subject.

• Like 3

I know that as a science teacher I'm biased, but I firmly believe dancers need an understanding of how their body works. To that end, GCSE biology would be worth considering. 5 GCSE's is the minimum requirement for further study of anything, at A-Level or BTEC and while it is true that the biggest most prestigious ballet schools don't necessarily require much more than that, I personally feel that your DD would be at a disadvantage of having a narrow education if you were to focus only on 3/4 subjects. She may not get a place at one of these schools. She may get an awful injury (hopefully not). Something else might happen in her life which means that she does not graduate from one of these schools, even if she is lucky enough to get a place. I would recommend at least doing English, Maths, Biology (or the new AQA course "synergy" which is a combined applied science course), a language, and something else such as art/music/psychology/history/geography/sociology/media studies. The EBACC or English Baccalaureate consists of English, Maths, Science, Language, and history or geography so that might be worth considering too although it is more of a school performance measure than a qualification.

• Like 4

I also feel my dd should take as many gcse as possible biology was her favourite, but I probably have to swap it for maths,for financial reasons.

I feel guilty I cannot give her all the gcses, but homeschooling has given her a fantastic education, she just lacks the paper at the end.

Thank you everyone for your advice,, maths and English it is,us as parents can only do our best,and with me homeschooling, working and having to travel four times a week to her dancing school,which is a hundred mile all round trip it can be exhausting

Is the homeschooling a fixed thing, or could she go to a State-funded school for her studies now? It seems that it's the reason you feel finances are stretched, so is that the bit in the jigsaw puzzle which could shift (I always feel life is a moving jigsaw puzzle, where the pieces do fit, but they're also constantly shifting!)

• Like 3

Hull has a point about minimum grades required at GCSE before an A level in that subject can be taken. Around here 'B' is the minimum grade for most subjects at GCSE before they can be taken at A level. Perhaps worth checking with Elmhurst what A level subjects they actually offer and if a minimum grade is required. Though English and Maths are probably still advised.

Check also the school's entry criteria in terms of age. Students starting after age 16 might not be required to take A levels in any case, especially coming from an alternative schooling system.

The recommended minimum GCSE is 5 ( A-C grades) including Maths and English. I would also suggest at least one science, a language and a humanities subject. Around here you have to have at least a B at GSCE to take the subject at A level unless it is a science subject and then you need an A in the subject plus minimum of B in Maths. This is across all the local schools and colleges including state and independent.

Personally I would be very careful, you simply don't know what is round the corner. Your daughter may have a wonderful career in dance but that won't be forever. They all need a back up plan.

Good luck with it all

I have a home schooling friend whose children haven't done any formal exams but whose eldest child has secured a place on a fairly prestigious higher education course nevertheless. So obviously it's possible to be successful without. But, if you are planning to do some GCSEs then personally I would make sure that maths and English language are amongst them. Those are the ones that are most widely regarded as "important" and are often core requirements for employment or further study. I might be completely wrong, but I somehow think it might be easier to explain to future tutors or employers that she was homeschooled and didn't take exams but has done x,y and z than to explain doing some GVSEs but not taking the two subjects that are generally considered the most important. Someone scanning a CV might even spot the exam results and think that she had failed english and maths if they aren't listed, if they are only used to looking at applications from someone who has been conventionally educated. I'm sure it won't matter a jot for dance purposes, but has others have said, plans B,C and beyond are important too.

Good luck with everything.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 5

I work in Further education and would recommend Maths, English & Science for your daughter if nothing else.  If you are struggling financially for your child to do everything you want, give your local college a call.  Most FE colleges will do maths & English for Home Educated learners and its free.  Then perhaps you could spend your money on other courses your daughter would like to do.  Most FE colleges are also very good at supporting elected home educated learners from a pastoral viewpoint as well and it gives a taste of what college is like without having to do a full time course.  Not sure where in the country you are but feel free to PM me if you want further info on College's in your area.

• Like 2