Summer schools

dancerbabe82

I generally don't run my own summer school because so many of my 'less committed' pupils' families go on holiday but I've got a few kids who are looking at the various options. Where are people heading this year? Particularly interested in the 'all round' type summer school rather than pure ballet, as some of my kids aren't going to be ballet dancers but are stronger in contemporary/ modern etc

Thanks!

My DD is also not doing a summer school this year because the majority seem to clash with the intensive dance week that is part of her CAT scheme.

We did contemplate York Scholars but in the end I've decided that this year I am going to be "less committed" and we're hitting the beaches of the South of France for 3 weeks instead!! :-D

I have heard good things about Northern Ballet School's (Manchester) Summer school. They include tap and modern jazz as well as ballet. :-)

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

Dd not old enough for Elmhurst. If she wasn't doing EYB, she'd probably have wanted to do LCB's performance one at the beginning of the holidays, and then there's a lovely one at Harpenden which she's done several times. It's at the end of the holidays which is great for easing back into ballet for autumn.

If anyone's within striking distance of Harpenden, here's the website: www.harpendensummerdanceschool.co.uk. :-)

• Like 2

Dd does a stagecoach musical theatre workshop every year but we were looking at others this year ad well as it would be the first time she is old enough. She was going to do Hammond but because we are going to London for a few days and she has an intensive her benny rehearsal week at the end of August we have decided against partly due to the cost and the commute

DS (14) is doing 3 weeks technique SI at Kirov and 2 weeks at RBS seniors. Kirov includes classical, contemporary, character and flamenco as well as Russian language and ballet history. Not sure what is in RBS as DS hasn't done it before. His interest is classical ballet though so these prob wouldn't suit an all rounder as much.

Edited by CeliB

Hi Dancerbabe82

I think they take from 12 - 18 at Laine. The musical theatre course doesn't specify any grade achievement in dance but you need to say which levels you are working toward and if you do drama/singing-so I suppose that is for grouping purposes. The dance course require IF modern/jazz (I think) but both dds doing musical theatre because there were no places on the first dance week :(

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post!! I've read here for a while, its been really informative and also fab to hear whats available and going on in various parts of the country - finally decided to post! There are lots of really great summer schools out there and its great to keep them dancing over the summer :)

• Like 2

My dd is going to one of her dance schools for a week. They will be doing ballet, tap, modern, jazz, street & contempary (sp?) and they are also having guest teachers.

I know of a another dance school in Selby (North Yorkshire) that are doing their own summer school, dd went to this when she was 7 as she went there for all her dance classes when we lived there but I do know that it may not be as 'intense' as other dance schools.

Related to, but not actually ballet, my DD called me yesterday and was in a terrible state. There is a brilliant drama/dance course for drama graduates. It is £ 270 for the week and they do not take more than 8. She has the money but it is on a lay over account and she cannot access it immediately and she wanted to know if we could lend her the money for a deposit. She was so wound up and excited she was crying over the phone! These drama/dance types, eh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 5

Dd not old enough for Elmhurst. If she wasn't doing EYB, she'd probably have wanted to do LCB's performance one at the beginning of the holidays, and then there's a lovely one at Harpenden which she's done several times. It's at the end of the holidays which is great for easing back into ballet for autumn.

If anyone's within striking distance of Harpenden, here's the website: www.harpendensummerdanceschool.co.uk. :-)

Spanner my DD did this 2 years ago (or was it 3)? She won their musicality award at the end. I wonder if I met you then, unknowingly?

• Like 1

Kenn Burke is listed as the Artistic Director of the Dance School of Scotland's Dance Course. I remember him from Scottish Ballet where he was, I think, Ballet Master and also did character roles when I used to go to Glasgow on a regular basis. He was the most wonderful Widow Simone. I'm sorry but I couldn't find any details for the summer school.

• Like 2

Spanner my DD did this 2 years ago (or was it 3)? She won their musicality award at the end. I wonder if I met you then, unknowingly?

Oh, very possibly! The first year dd did it she won the Intermediate Ballet prize; she would have been 9 or 10 then and she also did it the following year, so I bet we have met! It's a lovely week. :-)

• Like 1

Hi W445403,

The Kenn Burke and Friends Summer School in Glasgow held at The Dance School of Scotland at Knightswood, is really good value, excellent faculty and tuition with dancers kept busy 9.30 - 4.30 everyday. Classes in ballet, repertoire, pointework, classical greek, mime, dance history, Jazz and singing.

This years dates are 9th - 13th July

Senior School is 2 groups intermediate foundation & intermediates and advanced foundation and above £160.00 tuition 5 days dancing 21/2 hours every day with Mr Burke and if you need accommodation £100.00 for four nights with a host dancing family, although I believe some of the farther traveled kids paid a little more to the host families to arrive on the Sunday evening.

Junior School is two or three groups grade 1 - grade 5 standard £130.00 10.15am - 4.15pm.

I have the contact No. for the people who do the admin here and could send it to anyone interested.

T.

I'd like to let everyone know that MIDAS (www.midas-dance.org.uk) are doing a 'back-to-school' training course from Aug 20th - 24th, Monday-Friday in Birmingham. The course includes ballet technique, lots of dance-specific fitness eg flexibility, balance, strength, power as well as some simple anatomy, artistry, performance psychology, contemporary, jazz and classical repertoire. There's still places for students from age 10 upwards. Katie Love (finalist from So You Think You Can Dance) is also going to be teaching workshops on the last day.

• Like 1