Summer schools

dancerbabe82

Hi W445403,

The Kenn Burke and Friends Summer School in Glasgow held at The Dance School of Scotland at This years dates are 9th - 13th July

I have the contact No. for the people who do the admin here and could send it to anyone interested.

T.

yes please - and thanks for the info

This has been a great thread for passing on information about summer schools - thanks everyone.

Also, though, I just want to reassure parents out there that they're not failing their children if they're not sending them to a summer school. I know from my own experience how inadequate it can make you feel when you hear about what a great time everyone's had at their various SSs. We just didn't feel as a family that we could afford to spend yet more money on our ds and he was happy with that - also he misses home a lot when he's at school so the treat for him was coming home and spending time with us or just sleeping! (He has done two over the years, but only a week long each.)

• Like 3

Gosh, absolutely! As a non-Vocational teenager, I do think it's important that my dd does an Easter course and a Summer School (or EYB this year) because it keeps her training hours up, and most importantly, she loves doing it!

But of course I have her at home with me all term. If she was away in full time training, I would be inclined to let her rest and enjoy the time at home during the holidays. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is in the Hertfordshire area then you may be interested to know that there are still plenty of spaces at The Harpenden Summer Dance School.(HSDS).

All details found on the website- www.harpendensummerdanceschool.co.uk

The venue, Park Hall on Leyton Road is only 5 minutes walk from Harpenden Rail Station which is on the First Capital Connect LIne to St Pancras. (at least 4 trains an hour.)

Mary Schon's repertoire classes are particularly popular, many people will know her from Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy. Last year she also piloted the successful Trring summer school which is running again this year. If for any reason you've missed out on the Tring one then this is a good back up! (Afterall the Tring one was partly modelled on HSDS which is now in its 7th year.)

I am very happy to announce that Nicola Bowden (from London Junior and Senior Ballet) will once again be one of our guest teachers. Others will be confirmed nearer the time.

There is no need to commit to an entire week,I have known some students only ever do one class,although we do feel that its better value if you come all week! The last day is open viewing day so that parents can watch the students.

We also hope to repeat the ever popular pas de deux demonstration- this year I've set my DS the task of enticing one of his beautiful partners from Ballet Theatre UK along!

Please do join us if you can.

Am happy to answer questions, so please feel free to PM me.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

It looks great and DS would love it but there just isn't the money for him to do it. If there were cheap train fares and/or free accomodation or a lottery win lol....

It always makes me sad to keep saying no to things but I guess that's life and a no to a summer school or Easter course isn't anywhere near as bad as saying no to vocational school!

We still have a couple of places in both age groups - Juniors should be inter foundation or grade 3/4ish and seniors at least Intermediate and above (in Birmingham) at the end of August - the whole focus is 'back to school'. Anyone interested can email me via the MIDAS website :)

This has been a great thread for passing on information about summer schools - thanks everyone.

Also, though, I just want to reassure parents out there that they're not failing their children if they're not sending them to a summer school. I know from my own experience how inadequate it can make you feel when you hear about what a great time everyone's had at their various SSs. We just didn't feel as a family that we could afford to spend yet more money on our ds and he was happy with that - also he misses home a lot when he's at school so the treat for him was coming home and spending time with us or just sleeping! (He has done two over the years, but only a week long each.)

Heather has decided that she doesnt want to do a summer school this year aswell. She has also probably done the two your son has done over the last two years at Elmhurst (which were fantastic) but has decided to give it a rest this year. Summer schools are good fun and children can get a lot from them, however they are expensive for a lot of people. I would just like to reassure those that cant do the summer schools that their children will not fall behind in their training as swimming and stretching alongside resting the body can be more beneficial to the student.

• Like 3