An Intimate Evening with Anna Pavlova, 17th June

Unfortunately, I got caught out by the unexpectedly high prices of the programmes last night and wasn't able to buy one: perhaps someone who did could give us a better idea of what and who we saw than I can, so we can get a discussion started?

When I got home Sunday evening, I made a pdf document for a friend. I've attempted to copy this document and paste it here. Because of the font of the original, many of the words came out in gobbledegook. I've corrected all those I could see. Apologies if I missed any! This will also differ from the original as I've tried to put in the cast changes from the slip we were given. If I've missed any, I'd welcome corrections from others who were present.

An Intimate Evening

with Anna Pavlova

Narrator: Anthony Dowell

Pavlova: Ursula Hageli

SPANISH DANCE FROM THE FAIRY DOLL

Music:Josef Bayer

An evocation - Choreography: Ursula Hageli

Dancer Romany Pajdak

FOYER DE DANSE – EXCERPT

Research and Reconstruction

Christopher Newton with Ursula Hageli

Choreography: Frederick Ashton

Music: Lord Berners

Inspired by Degas's paintings, this ballet was created for the Ballet Club and first performed by

Rambert dancers, in 1932, at the Mercury Theatre. Ashton himself danced the role of the Ballet

Master and Alicia Markova, the role of the Ballerina. Could Ashton possibly have had in mind

Enrico Cecchetti and Anna Pavlova?

Cast

Yasmine Nagdhi, Jonathan Howells

and

Leanne Cope, Francesca Hayward, Leticia Stock,

Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Jacqueline Clark, Gemma Pitchley-Gale

Costumes realised by: Ursula Hageli, Christopher Newton,

Steven Gregory, Penny Hadrill

With additional support from:

The Ashton Foundation and The Linbury Trust

And special thanks to:

Jane Pritchard and Rambert Dance Company

BACCHANALE

Music:Alexander Glazunov

Choreography: Ursula Hageli

Pavlova:Emma Maquire

Mordkin: Valentino Zucchetti

GAVOTTE PAVLOVA

Music: Paul Lincke - Glow-worm Idyll

An evocation - Choreography: Ursula Hageli

Original costume design: Serge Oukrainsky

Dancers Roberta Marquez, Jonathan Howells

THE FAIRY DOLL - EXCERPT

Music: Josef Bayer

Choreography: after Ivan Clustine

Dancer Romany Pajdak

THE DRAGONFLY

Music:Fritz Kreisler - Schon Rosmarin

Choreography: after Pavlova

Dancer Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani

LA NUIT

music: Anton Rubinstein - "Romance" Op, 41 No. I

Choreography: after Pavlova

Dancer Roberta Marquez

AUTUMN LEAVES

music: Frederic Chopin - Nocturne in D flat Major Op. 27, No.2,

Fantaisie-Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66

The Poet: Johannes Stepanek

Tile Chrysanthemum: Meaghan Grace Hinkis

The North Wind: Valentino Zucchetti

Leaves:Jacqueline Clark, Leanne Cope, Gemma Pitchley-Gale, Leticia Stock,

Francesca Hayward, Emma Maguire, Yasmine Naghdi, Romany Pajdak

Marguerite, Dresser to Pavlova: Anya Phillips

Narrator’s Assistants: Reece Clarke, Sebastian Goffin

(Students, The Royal Ballet School)

Pavlova's dances rehearsed by Ursula Hageli

Costume for Dragonfly made by Steven Gregory

Costume for Chrysanthemum made by Anne-Marie Norton

Costumes for Spanish Dance from the Fairy Doll, Foyer de Danse, Bacchanale, Gavotte, La Nuit,, The Fairy Doll,

and Chrysanthemum loaned by Ursula Hageli

Wardrobe: Claire Fearon, Willemyn Bol

Hair and Makeup: Helen Bowmer

Piano: Paul Stobart

Cello: Peter Adams

Violin: Yuri Zhislin

Pianist for Autumn Leaves: Timothy Murray

Musical Arrangements: Paul Stobart, Timothy Murray

Technical Director and Lighting Design:Jeffrey Phillips

Stage Manager,: Johanna Adams-Farley

Assistant to Stage Manager:Christina Lemon

Images and Film edited by: Tom Nelson

Edited by Bluebird

Wow, *very* detailed. Thank you very much, Bluebird.

Can't claim credit for the detail, I'm afraid. The detail was already in the programme pages that I scanned. All I did was correct the gobbledegook that resulted from converting the pdf into a Word document. There were certain letters in italics that the conversion process clearly couldn't recognise. It just guessed what they were: - eg this is what it made of 'choreography' - CllOrcogl'aplly !!

Edit: Indeed I've just noticed one example of this that I failed to correct. In Autumn Leaves, I didn't notice "Tile" Chrysanthemum - this should, of course, have been 'The' Chrysanthemum

Edited by Bluebird

This turned out to be a very interesting evening. The various items listed in the programme were all slotted into the narration spoken by Anthony Dowell, combined with brief dramatic incidents in which Ursula Hageli played the part of Pavlova and interspersed with film clips and photographs of the great lady herself. We got to see the "Fred Step" which had previously appeared in the "Gavotte Pavlova" demonstrated by Anthony Dowell and Ursula Hageli, and there were various references in the course of the evening to the effect which Pavlova had had on Ashton. There was also an extract from the silent film "The Dumb Girl of Portici", in which she took the title role, involving some really larger than life silent film style acting. I was disappointed to find that, unlike the opera from which the plot of the film is derived, she did not meet her death by jumping into the crater of Vesuvius! The whole programme amounted to a fascinating overview of Pavlova's life and career and was far more than just a series of danced items. In conclusion we were shown the well known film clip from "Christmas" which is said to be part of Ashton's inspiration for the opening scene of "Marguerite and Armand", and which perhaps more than any other demonstrates the unique magnetism of her personality as she sits on a sofa and emotes with only the smallest of gestures.

• Like 1

I approach anything that smacks of a gala with justified trepidation, especially as in this case when there was scanty prior information. How wonderful to be wrong! It was a splendid evening, well-conceived and very well executed. It was certainly a programme that could run for some nights without the support of wealthy patrons. A shame and a waste if it doesn't.

Indeed, John. I'd merely booked a ticket when Carol first flagged it because there was only a handful of low-price tickets left, and I thought "better get one now - I can always sell it nearer the time". How glad I was that I didn't. A very enjoyable evening - and even the fact that my trip home took longer than the entire performance didn't entirely dent that for me.

I didn't spot the usual lot of critics there, so I wonder how many reviews - apart from Zoe Anderson's, which has already appeared - we shall actually see? In view of that, other people's thoughts would be more than welcome.

Having put what I assume was a considerable amount of effort in the evening I think that it is a shame that the Royal are only showing this programme once. Like John, I am wary of anything gala-esque and so I didn't book for it (I think that the tickets were also expensive) and missed out on what seems to have been a very absorbing evening.

All the Solos were of course completely new to me so I hope someone with much more knowledge will comment on the event!

The evening started with Anthony Dowell (Fokine) teaching a young Anna Pavlova (Yasmine Naghdi) the "Dying Swan". Romany Pajdak danced "Spanish Dance from The Fairy Doll" beautifully. Old film material was projected on a screen in between the Solos and the "Dumb Girl" illustrated to me what a real artist Pavlova was!

"Foyer de Danse" showed us a Degas scene with six women at the barre and "Pavlova"(Yasmine) arriving late for class. Jonathan Howells (Cecchetti) takes her under his wing and starts teaching her his method....

Several Solos followed and "Autumn Leaves" closed the evening. IMO the role of "The Chrysanthemum" was miscast. I'd rather seen someone in this role reminding me of Anna Pavlova... I would have left on a real high.

Having put what I assume was a considerable amount of effort in the evening I think that it is a shame that the Royal are only showing this programme once. Like John, I am wary of anything gala-esque and so I didn't book for it (I think that the tickets were also expensive) and missed out on what seems to have been a very absorbing evening.

Nothing to do with the Royal (other than some of their dancers appearing). This was a London Jewish Cultural Centre organised event.

Anticipating tomorrow's Links, the Independent has a review of a book on Pavlova that may well be of interest:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/picture-preview-anna-pavlova-twentieth-century-ballerina-7873178.html

Proceeds from the book will be going towards support of the RBS. (And don't miss the article's embedded Slideshow!)

Am just catching up after a very busy week. As with some posters above, I'm usually very wary of galas, but this one was different; it flowed and made dramatic and artistc sense. This could have been very cheesy had it not been done with so much thought, respect and excellent performances from everyone onstage. My highlights of the evening were Valentino Zucchetti's performances and seeing Anthony Dowell dance again. That alone was worth the ticket price for me.

I'm sorry I missed this, but reading about it made me go on You Tube and see if there were any snippets of Pavlova herself. After a false start where I got videos of people showing you how to make strawberry pavlova, I found several clips of Pavlova doing various dances including The Dying Swan.

Very moving, in spite of the rather jerky nature of the film

Edited by Fonteyn22