Move It 2016

taxi4ballet

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a few times and there is lots of room for you to have a good view of the main stage. I'd imagine it'll be the same this year, however, it's a new venue this year (which I'm gutted about as it'll be an extra hour travelling and far more complicated a journey!), so I can't say 100%, but I would like to think they have changed for the better (although technically there wasn't anything wrong with Olympia).

In part I think it depends on where in MoveIt your DC is appearing.  The main stage is literally just a large raised stage at one side of the hall - there's no seating- its just people sitting on the floor or standing.  I would presume it will be the same for the new venue.  So yes you can see your DC on the stage but not necessarily with a good view - depending on how close you get and who happens to stand in front of you.  MoveIt also has the Showcase Theatre and a lot of the schools and colleges perform on this smaller stage.  This has a seated audience and limited numbers but you get a good view of the performances.  Entry is by ticket only - included in the MoveiT entry price - you just go to the stand of any college you are interested in watching and collect a ticket.

DDs dance school is running a coach trip to move it, I noticed lots of older girls have their name on the list but not many in DDs age group (although the girls have discussed it and many want to go). Would it be safe for a group of 11 year olds to attend? I don't think that there would be staff chaperoning at the event and haven't discussed the details, but if the arrangements are for example: someone would see the girls into the venue and then meet again at home time. Would you let your child go?

My eldest daughter accuses me of being overprotective and I am trying to relax but I see lots of dangers in the above scenario.

I could go too but don't want to be the only mum ! (Also it would cost an extra £40 and I am flat broke).

Edited by shygirlsmum
  • Like 1

Why don't you ask if younger students will be chaperoned? I'm quite surprised that the school does not make the position absolutely clear. I would not be concerned but I live in London. It depends on (1) how responsible your DD *and her friends* are and (2) where the students will be picked up by the coach at the end of the day (they will be able to follow the teacher to the venue). It's likely that the teacher will agree to meet the students somewhere in the venue at the end of the day and she will almost certainly carry a mobile phone if there are any problems. Large events usually have information stands and first aid points as well.

Thanks for responding Aileen.

The trip is being run by someone attached to the school rather than the school itself. I do intend to discuss with the organiser but keep missing her so I'm really not clear about the arrangements. It may be the case that the trip is only open to the older kids or that younger kids need to be with an adult.

The girls are very sensible, I have a tendency to be overprotective but I am trying to loosen up.

Under MoveIt terms and conditions it states all under 14s should be accompanied by an adult.  When our dance school ran a trip there were some parents in attendance for this very reason  so I would ask further questions of the school and of any arrangements being made.  Having said that, once they are actually inside the exhibition hall, if the new venue is similar to the old, it does mean that they are in a safe enclosed environment and I don't think children aged 11 would need to stay with an adult.  For our dance school trips some of the younger ones stayed with an adult and others went around in groups while the mums went around together.

Edited to add that it might also depend on if children are doing classes and can be relied on to get to the right place at the right time. Mobile phone reception is not always great in these places

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 1

In part I think it depends on where in MoveIt your DC is appearing.  The main stage is literally just a large raised stage at one side of the hall - there's no seating- its just people sitting on the floor or standing.  I would presume it will be the same for the new venue.  So yes you can see your DC on the stage but not necessarily with a good view - depending on how close you get and who happens to stand in front of you.  MoveIt also has the Showcase Theatre and a lot of the schools and colleges perform on this smaller stage.  This has a seated audience and limited numbers but you get a good view of the performances.  Entry is by ticket only - included in the MoveiT entry price - you just go to the stand of any college you are interested in watching and collect a ticket.

thanks, he's going to be on the main stage and the showcase stage and I wasn't sure if you needed tickets or anything to see the main stage as I know we have get tickets for the showcase.

I'm very excited and looking forward to seeing him there :)

• 1 month later...

We have only found out recently about Move It (via balletco forum!) and dd is keen to go.

But when I've looked online most of the classes say check availability on the day.  Does that mean they are sold out or do they keep some spaces back to sell on the day?  There's so many dd wants to do, she'll be gutted if she can't do any!

I had an email this morning saying last chance to book online, so maybe that's closed now and you have to turn up and book on the day. A lot of them are sold out already. My dd went up to the ticket counter last year and just asked what they still had available and chose from that. She ended up doing an Urdang workshop which she really enjoyed, but wouldn't necessarily have chosen otherwise.

I am so fed up, annoyed and extremely disappointed! Having booked tickets almost as soon as they were available, sorted out trains and hotel etc the main stage slot I was going to see was moved yesterday :angry: It was Sunday morning and now it's Friday (that's tomorrow!!).

When did we find out - after the rehearsal yesterday. So having been at college all day then having a 3 hour rehearsal they were told as they finished - no reason given.

I had also bought him masterclass tickets around his performances and he couldn't have his first choice as it clashed with his main stage performance. Needless to say it was sold out ages ago and the one for tomorrow now clashes with the new time.

I understand that the whole idea of Move It is to showcase the colleges and not performances for family and others but to change it so dramatically less than 2 days before is just not on!

Rant over I'm going to bed to cry into my pillow :(

• Like 1

How completely gutting for you! Of course you are desperate to see him dance. We can never see too much of our children dancing and when they are away at school there just aren't enough opportunities. I would feel completely sick too!

• Like 2

I am so fed up, annoyed and extremely disappointed! Having booked tickets almost as soon as they were available, sorted out trains and hotel etc the main stage slot I was going to see was moved yesterday :angry: It was Sunday morning and now it's Friday (that's tomorrow!!).

When did we find out - after the rehearsal yesterday. So having been at college all day then having a 3 hour rehearsal they were told as they finished - no reason given.

I had also bought him masterclass tickets around his performances and he couldn't have his first choice as it clashed with his main stage performance. Needless to say it was sold out ages ago and the one for tomorrow now clashes with the new time.

I understand that the whole idea of Move It is to showcase the colleges and not performances for family and others but to change it so dramatically less than 2 days before is just not on!

Rant over I'm going to bed to cry into my pillow :(

That's really rubbish :(

• Like 1

I think your rant is totally justified - that is appalling organisation. Sadly I think it is a reflection of MOVEIT though. It is great for visitors who get to see everything, collect information from colleges but it is not so great for the colleges and performers and the teachers that take workshops etc.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience of booking classes on the day?  It's too late to book online now and Move It are being a bit vague whether there will be spaces on the day.  Dd would have to miss her regular classes if we go tomorrow so not sure if to take a gamble.  She's chosen about 7 classes, do you think she would get to do at least some of them?

Does anyone have any experience of booking classes on the day?  It's too late to book online now and Move It are being a bit vague whether there will be spaces on the day.  Dd would have to miss her regular classes if we go tomorrow so not sure if to take a gamble.  She's chosen about 7 classes, do you think she would get to do at least some of them?

DD did last year, she just went up to the sales desk and asked what tickets were available and chose from what there was left. If you get there early enough, your dd will hopefully get at least one or two of the ones she's after. There's loads going on anyway, so performances on the main stages and a lot of trade stands. Dance Direct are usually there, and have great piles of discounted end-of-range stuff.