Is honesty really the best policy?

Dizzy dancer

I am new to this but am seeking advise. My DD is currently at vocational school but would like to audition for a different school. DD is on the MDS so I would hate for her to risk losing it. So, my questions are;

1. Should I let her do this? (She got a no last time and was incredibly upset).

2. Do we tell her current school she is auditioning elsewhere?

3. Will this affect her MDS?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

I know for a fact that students already attending vocational school audition for other schools every year. It won't affect your MDS but I would say it is only courteous that you inform the current school that your child is planning on attending an audition-the school will soon find out anyway as the ballet world is so small! They may want to know why your child is auditioning elsewhere-a good answer is simply that it is for audition practise..long gap between year 7 and 11! I was once told that an audition is never a waste of time-you can always learn something. You need to do what you feel is best for your own child at the end of the day:) Best of luck!

• Like 4

I think this is a really tough call. Ideally, I would want to tell DDs current school if I were in that position because I don't like underhand activity and often think that stories created to cover where DD had gone in audition day may come back to bite later. However, I am also aware of dancing children who feel that their school's attitude towards them changed when they knew they were auditioning elsewhere.

I think you and your DD have to weigh up how telling school/friends feels versus keeping it quiet and your decision about what's best is yours, not what any others have done before. I do think it's good to hear what others have done and what reactions they had, though. Good luck!

Students at the Hammond school were given a very strictly worded letter stating that any students on MDS auditioning for other schools (or entering competitions, attending outside classes without permission etc) would risk having their MDS award removed. 

Tring park School notify other vocational schools that a DC is auditioning (as a matter of courtesy) making the risk, in my opinion/circumstances, too great.  

I think Tring also have a strict policy.   

That said.  You do have to do what you think is best for your child, of course.  Good luck  :)

Edited by angel

my understanding is that the MDs is for that school, you might get a place elsewhere but without the MDS. thought if u leave the school, the MDS goes back to the school.

the school will definately know when other schools hold audition days so will notice.

if you have a valid reason for changing school (distance, family etc)

maybe chat to school and make them aware

Although I cannot help with regards to this, I actually have a question of my own which I'm hoping someone may be able to answer, and it does kind of relate to the original post......when do vocational schools hold their assessments? As I was under the impression that it's after the new year, in which case what happens if a dc doesn't audition for other schools, as many auditions are before Christmas, and then they get assessed out of their current school? Surly auditioning just helps to give them options should they fail in their assessments?

• Like 1

See that's what I was told also, Feb half term, by which time it is way too late to audition for somewhere else!! So surely if you have a dc in a year which has assessments then surely auditioning is just a precautionary measure for if they were to get bad news at assessments?!

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought it was too late to audition elsewhere though it would be a rush to get photos done.

Aren't the last rounds of preliminary auditions held in January? And then Tring funding audition is Feb and RBS and Elmhurst finals are early March. So finding out assessment results in Feb half term would mean you've missed all the preliminary auditions that end in January?

• Like 1

The closing date for White Lodge applications was 6th November, Trings last preliminary was 3rd Dec but they then added 26th Jan and Elmhursts was 21st Jan but they have now added 28th Jan, so all before Feb half term. Seem's to me that The Hammond have the best policy with assessments being in November then, that's a lot fairer than doing them in the new year!

So to me if your up for assessments in Jan/Feb I would definitely audition elsewhere, purely as a precautionary measure!

• Like 1

Elmhurst pupils and parents now have a pre appraisal meeting with the AD and their teacher. At the meeting, before October half term, the children are given advice about what needs working on before the appraisal in February. I understand if it isn't something that can be addressed then the family is made aware how the land lies.

I know that when my dd year went through this process those that were no longer suitable for Elmhurst training where advised where to think about auditioning.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies everyone! And Jane that seems very good of Elmhurst, even though it must be heart breaking to get the news that you are no longer suitable, at least they are being up front with you and giving you chance to get in else where!

You are in a tricky situation depending on the school your child is at, tread carefully. It's shocking really though that any student should feel fearful of having to ask permission risking negative consequences. Some schools may be fine, so good luck.

• Like 1

Hammond assessments are held in November & the results given at Christmas. I am led to believe RBS assessment results are given during February half term & Elmhurst also sometime that term. I have no idea about Tring.

I have been told that White Lodge and Elmhurst have begun giving reassessment advice to those who they feel might need it..sorry just seen Jane's post!

Edited by angel

Tring pupils this year were made aware by October half term if their MDS was being renewed or not into 6th form. The 5th formers have been advised that if they wish to audition out, it is a matter of courtesy to notify the school. We have been told that if they are very keen to audition for a particular school then that's ok but they would be a bit perturbed if a child was auditioning everywhere if their MDS had been renewed, as if would suggest they really do not wish to be at Tring. Personally, I think it's best to let them know out of courtesy, it's a very small world and you need to feel you have done the right thing. However, it is a bit scary and rumours abound.....

• Like 1

I am new to this but am seeking advise. My DD is currently at vocational school but would like to audition for a different school. DD is on the MDS so I would hate for her to risk losing it. So, my questions are;

1. Should I let her do this? (She got a no last time and was incredibly upset).

2. Do we tell her current school she is auditioning elsewhere?

3. Will this affect her MDS?

Which year are you going for?

My first thought about telling the current school is don't you need a signature from your child's current teacher on the application form?

As someone else said, the MDS award is connected to her place at the school she is at now. If she successfully auditions at another school which offers MDS places then she might or might not be awarded one there (I think all places at RBS are MDS, correct me if I'm wrong.) If she's accepted at the new school and doesn't get an MDS award, can you afford to take the place? If not then I would not risk upsetting the current school by auditioning somewhere else.

• Like 1

Students at the Hammond school were given a very strictly worded letter stating that any students on MDS auditioning for other schools (or entering competitions, attending outside classes without permission etc) would risk having their MDS award removed. 

Tring park School notify other vocational schools that a DC is auditioning (as a matter of courtesy) making the risk, in my opinion/circumstances, too great.  

I think Tring also have a strict policy.   

That said.  You do have to do what you think is best for your child, of course.  Good luck  :)

About Hammond, I understand why they would not want their students entering competitions or attending outside classes, that makes total sense but auditioning at other schools is in a very different category in my opinion! I would think that the majority of students who audition for lower school places are auditioning for more than one school and would be happy to accept a place at any one of them, however, they might still have a preference for a different school or believe that a different school might suit them better.

I suppose the school is thinking that they've shown a commitment to the student by offering them a place with funding and if the students continues to look around for a "better deal" then they're not really showing commitment in return, but I personally don't agree with this stance. A student might wish to move schools for a number of different reasons.

Regarding Tring, I'm afraid I don't understand this courtesy thing of informing other schools. Why would they do that?

Invisiblecircus I agree with you, apart from the fact that the students who do attend outside classes tend to be the ones who do better when auditioning at 16!  Also, it feels like a very unfair policy (yet again) weighted towards those who can afford fees.

I would imagine that Hammond, Tring and Elmhurst staff have been pretty cheesed off in the past when students they have worked hard to train, have moved to the next school.  Personally, I feel that they should be pleased that their training has been effective and that a child can go where they believe that they are better suited but as a business, with funding bodies to justify their policies to, I can see their point I guess.

There is a real danger that a child may be offered a pace at Tring and no funding.

Tring's policy of informing other schools isn't one you can get around as they ask for a reference from current school.  I suppose they feel that it stops people attending without showing full commitment.  Again, it deters those who can't afford to pay full fees.

Children should be allowed to explore schools and schools should not punish them by suggesting the child is not committed to that school, thus risking their MDS being removed. Children on MDSs are not owned by a school, as someone already suggested audition experience is always a good thing. If I was you, I would find out if there have been previous students on MDS who have sought permission to audition, where there any concequences? Again good luck.

• Like 1

If you were on a school scholarship I would think it totally just that they should be able to remove it but MDS isn't paid for by the school is it, it's the tax payers money and you should be able to audition wherever you like! Could you get a second opinion on how likely it is that she would be considered at the other school before you rock the boat and more importantly risk her upset again?

• Like 1

I agree it seems unfair to be draconian about auditioning elsewhere. Virtually all of us would agree there is a pecking order - especially of lower schools. Why shouldn't students try to improve? As someone says the current teachers should take as a compliment if successful