Another one needing some support.

Pups_mum

I've just had some very bad news - the studio where my DD has danced for more than 15 years is closing. With a pile of half filled in audition forms in front of me I feel I need to calm down and start looking for alternatives for DD but actually I just want to cry....

• Like 1

Oh I'm so sorry to hear it Pups Mum!! Such a terrible timing! Cry if that makes you feel better and then finish the audition forms and make sure you send them on time! It will be ok, you'll find other lessons, studios etc so your DD will be able to carry on with her dancing and will be ready for the auditions! Positive thinking!!!

• Like 1

Is the teacher retiring or just closing the school? Perhaps you could ask her to continue some one on one tuition where you cover her wage plus the hire of a venue, whilst also attending classes elsewhere? At least your DD maintains some continuity auditions are stressful enough as it is, without the added drama of trying to fit in and adapt to a different teacher and school!

• Like 2

The management of my DD's school has changed this year. It happens suddenly and with no previous advice to parents. One day the school called parents for a meeting where they introduced the new staff and rules and the changed schedule of classes. All of us were very worried as we were totally satisfied by the previous staff and we didn't want any change. They reassured us telling that the teachers of intermediate and advanced classes would have been the same, but to be honest I was not convinced that the new management would have been a guarantee of good professional training. So I started to look for alternatives but my DD and me were devastated, as she grew up in that school and it was her second home. With her teacher we considered even the option of finding a new venue and transfer all her students there.... Finally we decided to stay till december and see how things go on.....now I can tell you that this was the best decision as the school is running very well, my DD and her teacher are fully satisfied.......this to say that sometimes a change can bring unexpected positive improvement and, once you recover from the shock of a loss, we can have even better perspective in front of you! That's what I wish to your DD and you!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this Pups_mum. It must be a shock and especially coming at such a time. My advice would be to firstly talk to the teacher and make sure you have any signatures/information etc you need for DDs application forms and also to see if they can recommend anywhere for your DD to continue dancing. My DD changed dance schools at Easter before leaving for vocational school in the September after her teacher said she could not offer her any more classes other than purely privates and she had a couple of recommendations for where might suit DD, although we did have quite a trek to get to them. Re continuing to dance - I don't think at this stage what she would have learned at her current dance school in the next few months would be the make or break for if she gets offers or not - it is more the fact that she needs to dance and maintain her current levels of fitness and training that is important. My DD actually had no weekly grade lessons from the September to March of the year she applied - but she was taking classes in a lower grade and learning new material for a dance show and having non syllabus classes at her dance school and attending an associates class. Looking back I don't think it affected the outcome of her auditions and I am sure the same will be true for your DD - as long as she dances somewhere. Emotionally is harder - I would hope that your DD can keep up a relationship with her teachers and you will have to put a positive spin on a new school for her - chance to learn off new teachers and meet new people - her new college room mate could be at the next school! DD shared a room with someone she had met at a summer school a few years previously - in this small world of coincidences. Anyway, good luck

• Like 3

Thanks all. It is unexpected and a dreadful shock as the closure is immediate. I have arranged a trial lesson at another school next week. DD is a bit reluctant as there is some possibility that the studio may reopen in the future and of course she has unswerving loyalty to her old teachers and friends. But we can't afford to put all our eggs in one basket at the moment, especially a basket that hasn't yet been woven. She has been poorly recently and I've seen how quickly her fitness and flexibility drops off with even a couple of weeks of inactivity so the top priority now has to be to keep her dancing with any reputable teacher who will have her. If the old studio does reopen we can reassess the situation but right now we don't have the luxury of having time to contemplate the next step. I think DD thinks I'm being a bit unfeeling but I have to do what is best for her and can't let sentiment get in the way really. Of course I am upset as the studio and people there have been a huge part of my life for a long time, but my own child's needs are my top priority.

• Like 5