Dancewear versus streetwear

Cara in NZ

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't mind DD wearing skimpy shorts over a leotard when just going to and from the car for dancing, or at studio/theatre. But last week she came out of school (not in uniform yet) in shorts so short that they could barely be seen below her sweatshirt. She said she'd changed for PE. I said they were too short, and even though at 12 she is slender and still fits age 10 clothes, sometimes they are not suitable to be worn in public!

Without wanting to get into discussions about sex/feminism, I just wanted to know how other parents deal with this. I love her being so comfortable with her body, but am feeling the need to differentiate dancewear from what she might wear to go shopping with friends. I hope I don't sound old-fashioned (and I have already raised two non DC to adulthood fairly successfully), but I am aware that at this age they may need some gentle guidelines!

I know where you are coming from - they spend so much time in only a leotard, that wearing very little comes naturally to them, and they aren't at all self-conscious about it (a good thing I suppose, in a way). It doesn't occur to them that the tiny strappy t-shirt and miniscule skirt combo probably isn't the best thing for wearing to the shops!

• Like 1

Well look I know I'm an adult and not a child but I'm continually bemused these days by seeing other grown ups out doing the shopping in gear that I would only wear to a dance class!!

Last summer I asked a lady in Brighton where she got the top she was wearing over her leggings as I thought it would be great for ballet class!!

This probably makes it difficult for children to see what "acceptable" dress in the street is these days. A difficult one!

• Like 4

DD is usually pretty good (although current fashions are for some quite skimpy outfits). She always wears shorts under skirts & dresses - she's not always the most ladylike & will dance and do cartwheels/walk overs without any thought to what she's wearing!

• Like 1

Thankfully we don't really have this problem.  DD's academic school does not allow anyone to leave school in PE kit - they must always be dressed in normal school uniform.  For the ballet school the principal has always operated a no underwear or dance wear on show policy - even for just going from the car into the school.  In winter she is able to just remind students of the importance of keeping warm and is not at risk of them feeling self conscious but in summer she will call students aside for a quick word about suitable attire for ladies.

• Like 2

I wonder if she would have a word with my DD

When she was 14 (or maybe 15) she crossed London by tube wearing lack leotard,black tights, flipflops & her black leather jacket I didn't know what to say!!

Mind you, she is a bit better now & tbh compared to her contemporaries "going out clubbing" she is quite well covered

• Like 1

Wow, I get up on the other side of the world and you have all been so busy giving me helpful answers – thank you!

We have NO rules about street attire at the dance studio and the younger girls often put a coat on over their ballet uniform and walk out the door – IN THEIR BALLET SHOES!!!!

• Like 1

When any of the local dance schools have a show on in our city centre, you see hoards of ballet tighted, bunned, leotard wearing, dancers with full make up pigging out in McDonald's, they tend to add shorts or t shirts but the overall look is uncoordinated and attracts lots of strange looks!

• Like 1

Make up is a particular issue for me as DD is no where old enough to be wearing it. I remember taking her home at ten in the evening from a performance in London and there was no time to remove anything we just had to run for the train. She had her winter coat on and wanted her hair out so no real sign of dance wear or that she'd been performing but had loads and loads of make up on. I did get some funny looks and I kept wanting to say 'she was at a thing' 'a dance thing, OK?'

• Like 3

Make up is a particular issue for me as DD is no where old enough to be wearing it. I remember taking her home at ten in the evening from a performance in London and there was no time to remove anything we just had to run for the train. She had her winter coat on and wanted her hair out so no real sign of dance wear or that she'd been performing but had loads and loads of make up on. I did get some funny looks and I kept wanting to say 'she was at a thing' 'a dance thing, OK?'

Reminds me of a friend of mine who had been performing in an Old Time Music Hall production. He stopped at a petrol station on the way home, quite forgetting that he still had full stage make-up on (including a stick-on twirly moustache) and it wasn't until he got home and looked in the mirror that he realised why the cashier had been looking at him so strangely!

• Like 4

My DD was dancing in a festival at half term and we went into town whilst she still had full make up and "big hair". As she was also wearing a leather jacket, skinny jeans and heeled boots the whole effect was rather bizarre. (If any of you watch Hollyoaks I had the distinct feeling that I was having lunch with Grace Black!) Fortunately there were numerous other peculiarly attired dancers out and about which made things a bit better - for me anyway as DD seems quite oblivious to the confused looks of the local population.

• Like 2

Last week I was in a hurry to catch my bus after ballet class, so I put my boots and coat on top of my ballet wear and rushed out to the bus stop. Turns out I needn't have bothered rushing so much because the bus came early and I missed it, I then realised it just wasn't cold enough for my coat, but all I had underneath was a black leotard, black tights and a chiffon wrap skirt. Me being me, I took my coat off and put my dress on top of my leotard at the bus stop, then once I was on the bus I removed the wrap skirt.

I was too hot to bother with decorum!

• Like 2