Romeo and Juliet DVDs

My favourite is also the Ferri/Eagling recording. Unfortunately, the picture and sound quality are not great, unless it is just my own copy. It would be nice to have the recording improved or digitalised if that is the correct term, if it is even possible. 

Otherwise,for bang up to date quality in more ways than one, I too, would go for Cuthbertson/Bonelli.

• Like 1

I've seen a few wonderful YouTube clips of the R&J at La Scala with Alessandra Ferri and Angel Corella which I think is also a DVD release. Has anyone seen this one and is it as good as the Ferri/Eagling one?

Speaking about the leads Ferri and Corella it is a wonderful one. La Scala dancers are weaker but it is okay. The Georgiadis sets are beautiful and the quality of the film is good so I will recommend this too. Ferri is still very youthful. 

I've got the Cuthbertson bluray, which is outstanding.  Considering getting the Ferri - has it been reformatted for modern TVs or is it the old square shape?

The Ferri/Eagling dvd is a full screen picture for a modern tv. As I said earlier though, the picture quality is a little fuzzy. I've been reading reviews and it would seem this is the case generally, not just that my own copy has been watched so many times I have worn it out! I would thoroughly recommend it if you are considering getting a copy. The chemistry between Ferri and Eagling is incredible. It also has some dance/character greats such as David Drew and Derek Rencher. The slight fuzziness of the picture seems to add to the atmosphere of the ballet. In my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

The Ferri/Eagling dvd is a full screen picture for a modern tv. 

That's interesting.  It was filmed in 4:3 and my copy is definitely in that format.    Amazon are currently selling only the 4:3 version. Have you bought yours recently?  I didn't know it was possible to reformat a 4:3 recording so that it fitted a widescreen television.

That's interesting.  It was filmed in 4:3 and my copy is definitely in that format.    Amazon are currently selling only the 4:3 version. Have you bought yours recently?  I didn't know it was possible to reformat a 4:3 recording so that it fitted a widescreen television.

My copy is in 4:3 format according to the dvd box. I can't remember when I bought it but it was several years ago. You can go through the usual adjustments for screen size - cinema, panoramic etc and 4:3 comes up as the old square shaped picture but otherwise the dvd just comes on as a full screen picture on my tv, without any fiddling with the remote.

My copy is in 4:3 format according to the dvd box. I can't remember when I bought it but it was several years ago. You can go through the usual adjustments for screen size - cinema, panoramic etc and 4:3 comes up as the old square shaped picture but otherwise the dvd just comes on as a full screen picture on my tv, without any fiddling with the remote.

You must have a more intelligent television than mine then.  If I try to watch in anything other than 4:3 all the dancers suddenly become very fat!

• Like 1

If you are looking for a DVD of the MacMillan version you have several to choose from recorded at different stages of the ballet's history,two recorded during MacMillan's lifetime and two since then.

The earliest has the original costume designs which are less like standard ballet costumes than the current ones.The Romeo and Juliet are Nureyev Fonteyn with the supporting roles danced by the original cast. It includes Blair as Mercutio so you see the role played as created and, if I recall correctly, an incredibly young Dowell as Benvolio.The drawback for me are Fonteyn and Nureyev,who were great artists,but Fonteyn isn't Seymour and Nureyev isn't Gable or for that matter Wall.I recognise that this will not be of concern to anyone who didn't see a performance by any of  the dancers on whom the roles were created.It is a fascinating record of the company and the way the ballet was danced in its early years. The drawback is that I believe that it is only available as a DVD playable in zone 1.

The second recording has a cast headed by Eagling Ferri made during MacMillan's lifetime.This has Stephen Jeffries as Mercutio. His presence in the cast is a recommendation in itself.There are two more recent recordings of the MacMillan version with Rojo and Acosta and the most recent with Cuthbertson and Bonelli.All of the Royal Ballet recordings have casts of dancing actors which is what MacMillan expected to see on stage. I don't think that I would want a recording of this version in which the subsidiary roles are not strongly differentiated.MacMillan created characters to be inhabited by the dancer rather than roles to be performed.

There is a recording of the Lavrovsky version with Ulanova. This is fascinating for all sorts of reasons not only because Ulanova was the first Juliet but because she was one of the greatest dancers of the twentieth century and she does it all within the bounds set by her classical training. The Lavrovsky version of the ballet is the source of all subsequent versions except Ashton's both Cranko and MacMillan's versions are clearly heavily dependent on it. Ulanova's headlong rush with cape flying was an iconic image of Lavrovsky's Juliet which MacMillan appropriated for his own version.As far as Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet is concerned I have to confess that I find, as with so many of his productions, it is all a bit too frenetically busy. But that is just my opinion. There are others who love it.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

You must have a more intelligent television than mine then.  If I try to watch in anything other than 4:3 all the dancers suddenly become very fat!

Mmm, I can't explain it. My tv is quite a standard,no frills model. Perhaps it is just an anomaly.'Tis better to be a little fuzzy than very fat I guess. :)

• Like 1

I'm delighted to know that the Ferri-Eagling version of MacMiillan's R & J  is now available as a DVD - I've got it as a VT recording, but no longer have a TV which can play VTs.   I judge all Juliets I've ever seen against Ferri's performance on that treasured tape, and none even approaches the rawness, vulerability and passion she gives her Juliet..

Does anyone know if the DVD is on sale at the ROH shop?

It is worth mentioning that there is a Bolshoi version of R&J available with choreography by Grigorovich.  Although I don't like Mukhamedov as Romeo and prefer the earlier DVD of Bessmertnova in the Lavrovsky version, I still think there are a number of reasons to take a look at this DVD, primarily because I believe it is the only production that actually uses all of Prokofiev's music, including the suite of dances performed by Paris's entourage on what should be his wedding morning.

The choreography isn't actually bad and in the supporting roles there is a wonderful Mercutio from Mikhail Sharkov and a near definitive Tybalt danced by Alexander Vetrov, the lack of scenery is an issue though.

As for the Nureyev production I think there's more than one version available.  Although I'm not a huge fan I find it the most literal version out there, rather as if Nureyev sat down and read the play first.  Watch the nurse and what she gets up to, Nureyev's nurse wouldn't hesitate to encourage Juliet to marry Paris, sexual pleasure is high on her agenda and she doesn't flinch at assisting Juliet to get off the starting blocks so to speak. 

If you have Sky Arts, the Cuthbertson/Bonelli version was broadcast at 11.00 pm last night so may be repeated or available on catchup. Then you can view it to see if your friend would like it. :-)

Yes I did actually phone my friend who has Sky Arts (I dont) and she told me R&J was listed. However she said when she looked on the TV guide on screen, it had been replaced with Nureyev and Friends!

If you are looking for a DVD of the MacMillan version you have several to choose from recorded at different stages of the ballet's history,two recorded during MacMillan's lifetime and two since then.

The earliest has the original costume designs which are less like standard ballet costumes than the current ones.The Romeo and Juliet are Nureyev Fonteyn with the supporting roles danced by the original cast. It includes Blair as Mercutio so you see the role played as created and, if I recall correctly, an incredibly young Dowell as Benvolio.The drawback for me are Fonteyn and Nureyev,who were great artists,but Fonteyn isn't Seymour and Nureyev isn't Gable or for that matter Wall.I recognise that this will not be of concern to anyone who didn't see a performance by any of  the dancers on whom the roles were created.It is a fascinating record of the company and the way the ballet was danced in its early years. The drawback is that I believe that it is only available as a DVD playable in zone 1.

The second recording has a cast headed by Eagling Ferri made during MacMillan's lifetime.This has Stephen Jeffries as Mercutio. His presence in the cast is a recommendation in itself.There are two more recent recordings of the MacMillan version with Rojo and Acosta and the most recent with Cuthbertson and Bonelli.All of the Royal Ballet recordings have casts of dancing actors which is what MacMillan expected to see on stage. I don't think that I would want a recording of this version in which the subsidiary roles are not strongly differentiated.MacMillan created characters to be inhabited by the dancer rather than roles to be performed.

There is a recording of the Lavrovsky version with Ulanova. This is fascinating for all sorts of reasons not only because Ulanova was the first Juliet but because she was one of the greatest dancers of the twentieth century and she does it all within the bounds set by her classical training. The Lavrovsky version of the ballet is the source of all subsequent versions except Ashton's both Cranko and MacMillan's versions are clearly heavily dependent on it. Ulanova's headlong rush with cape flying was an iconic image of Lavrovsky's Juliet which MacMillan appropriated for his own version.As far as Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet is concerned I have to confess that I find, as with so many of his productions, it is all a bit too frenetically busy. But that is just my opinion. There are others who love it.

Thank you for fantastic and comprehensive reply.

I can see there are more technical issues to do with the purchasing of this DVD(s), namely Region (?) and 4.3(what's that?).

Jamie14

I'll try to explain:

Some DVD players are region locked and will only play back DVDs encoded to their region.

The UK and Europe are in region 2.  The USA and Canada are in Region 1. Australia, New Zealand and South America are in region 4.

Many DVD players are however multiregion and will play DVDs from anywhere. You'll have to check which sort of DVD player you have.

Having said that, ballet DVDs are often region 0 which means they can be played anywhere in the world..

As for your other question, before the advent of wide-screen televisions, all video recordings were in the 4:3 format which fitted the old style almost square TV screen.  It appears that some widescreen televisions can reformat this 4:3  picture to fit a modern television screen.  If not, you will need to watch a 4:3 recording with black bars either side of the screen.

Hope that's clear!

• Like 1

I'll try to explain:

Some DVD players are region locked and will only play back DVDs encoded to their region.

The UK and Europe are in region 2.  The USA and Canada are in Region 1. Australia, New Zealand and South America are in region 4.

Many DVD players are however multiregion and will play DVDs from anywhere. You'll have to check which sort of DVD player you have.

Having said that, ballet DVDs are often region 0 which means they can be played anywhere in the world..

As for your other question, before the advent of wide-screen televisions, all video recordings were in the 4:3 format which fitted the old style almost square TV screen.  It appears that some widescreen televisions can reformat this 4:3  picture to fit a modern television screen.  If not, you will need to watch a 4:3 recording with black bars either side of the screen.

Hope that's clear!

Additionally a lot of ballet DVDs are in NTSC broadcast format rather than the European PAL format. There are a number of DVD players out there that are not NTSC compatible. 

I still think there are a number of reasons to take a look at this DVD, primarily because I believe it is the only production that actually uses all of Prokofiev's music, including the suite of dances performed by Paris's entourage on what should be his wedding morning.

Doesn't the Ashton, too (albeit not necessarily in the right order)?  (Mind you, that unfortunately isn't available on DVD).  I didn't like the recording: Bessmertnova in no way made me think of a young teenager.

Although I'm not a huge fan I find it the most literal version out there, rather as if Nureyev sat down and read the play first. 

He definitely did.  And I think he kept referring to it all the way through?

I'm delighted to know that the Ferri-Eagling version of MacMiillan's R & J  is now available as a DVD - I've got it as a VT recording, but no longer have a TV which can play VTs.   I judge all Juliets I've ever seen against Ferri's performance on that treasured tape, and none even approaches the rawness, vulerability and passion she gives her Juliet..

Does anyone know if the DVD is on sale at the ROH shop?

I can't find the dvd listed on the ROH shop online site and I gather the actual shop is closed or much reduced in its alternative, temporary location. I don't know if they are still sending stuff out in the post if you order over the phone. It might be worth a phone call.

Anyway, the dvd is available from Amazon. Just be aware of the possibility that it may be in the old square shape picture format,unless your tv has the same facility as mine and shows a full size picture.  I don't even know how it works but am glad it does!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ali Pasha

With all due respect to others' preferences :  the original Mariinsky version danced by Vishneva&Shklyarov is the DEFINITIVE version ..... hands down !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prokofiev-Juliet-Mariinsky-Gergiev-Blu-ray/dp/B00M1562VS/

Flew in to see this live with the same dancers at the ROH last July when the Mariinsky were in residence. In the last scene had my kleenex in one

hand and was biting my lip so as not to give my wife reason to make fun of me. Vishneva&Shklyarov will probably be my R&J forever. The Artsdesk

critic thought it was a "dated" production ..... well the RB decor&costume could be better ......if only they could dance too !!

For second place I opt for the RB Macmillan version by Lauren&Federico : Lauren is the only PB of the RB other than Natasha who inspires me,

and imho this performance was technically and artistically top notch ...... the RB not being my fav company. Have seen this version of R&J at the

ROH twice in the Nineties, it's kinda OK but isn't copying the cheapest form of engineering when you've got an original on hand ??

NOW :  the Nureyev version of the Paris Opera Ballet has quite different choreo than the above two - amazing, imho. Swept me off my feet when

I first saw it on Mezzo ...... so much so that when it ended I dashed to my laptop to find and order it on Amazon. Filmed in the Nineties the picture

and sound quality is definitely not state of the art so buy the dvd not the brd. Has a companion "making of" dvd in the "Dancer's Dream" series :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romeo-Juliet-Blu-Ray-Blu-ray/dp/B002HTWC12/