Genée Competition 2015

Circe

Sorry if there is a topic on this somewhere on the Forum that I have not spotted and I am duplicating but I wanted to say good luck to anyone  who has a dc in the RAD Genee 2015 taking place in London. Really interesting to see the small sections of the coaching day on the RAD website.

• Like 3

Thank you to all who rooted for my DD , what a great experience. Unfortunately nerves got the better of her but she did manage to show glimpses of the lovely dancer that she is. Lots of valuable learnings. We do appreciate your support . There are some fabulous dancers in the final … if you are going to watch have a wonderful evening.

• Like 7

My daughter also took part in the Genee and what a wonderful experience she's had she didn't make the finals but I thought she looked amazing. I've got two ticket for the final tomorrow if anyone's looking to buy them second circle 1 row G18 & 19 if anyone's interested please get I touch x

Well done to your daughters Kat09 and tracieanne01. Fabulous achievement. What I admire so much about the Genee is how they have the dancers for 5 or so days and so actually have a jolly good look at them and give fab coaching so decisions aren't made necessarily on a one time moment.

Good luck to all the finalists.

(Edited to add last sentence)

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 6

It must be a wonderful experience to enter and be part of. I'm sure there are many positives to be taken from the whole experience,whether the students get to the final or not. Just one more piece in the tapestry to getting that first professional contract.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this tonight. Seems like South Africa is where it's at. Hope that's not going to be transferred to the the Rugby!

The South African dancers are very impressive. Very strong and very confident with great technique, one in particular,at just 15 years old, is a joy to watch … have fun tonight. 

• Like 1

Ah, now I know who you were referring to. Quite a remarkable young chap - even if he looks more like a 10 year old. Is it usual for audience and jury to agree on the top dancer, I wonder?

I found it very hard to pick a top 1, although the rest of my family all voted 4!

Thought 3 and 10 were unlucky to miss out, although 6 and 11 were very good.

Couldn't understand why so many of them did that Raymonda variation - I thought it a bit dull... 

My favourite round was "Dancer's Own" where 2 and 3 really shone for me among the female dancers. Enjoyed all the male dances.

Yes, no 4 will be very special as long as he grows - can't lift girls at that height! I also liked no 10 and thought the 2 other medal winners were lovely but didn't really feel One of them was ready to be placed. Liked other SA boy and was surprised he didn't get a bronze - maybe not the most classical. Very enjoyable evening.

• Like 1

After paying out £14 for the live streaming I am still struggling to get past 1 minute 20 and am viewing half a screen so I can watch either feet or heads, but not both! Could be my settings on the screen size, but rather annoyed I can't progress beyond 1.20 mins and I have top notch broadband hmm

According to a page on the RAD website listing previous winners, Rachel Hickey and Isabella Swietlicki were medalists in 2014 (I believe they trained at Elmhurst & Ballet West respectively but please correct me if I'm wrong!) however as the page doesn't specify winners' nationalities, I only know that Brenda Last, who won gold in 1955, was definitely British, although there may be other Brits who have previously won gold whose names I didn't recognise.

https://www.rad.org.uk/documents/genee-docs/PastGeneemedallists_updated_Jun2015.pdf

(Edited to add source of information)

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 1

I was able to watch it very well on my computer in full screen.  I think we have 48 hours to see it again.  There was a symbol in the bottom right of the screen to click on and that opened it in full screen.  If you really can't see more than the first minute, you should contact them, Nana Lily. 

The Genee medals were once awarded as part of the Solo Seal awards, which were performed on stage. I know for a fact that many British won it then.  If you put Past Winners of the RAD Genee Competition into Google you will see the full list, although it doesn't give nationalities. 

• Like 1

According to a page on the RAD website listing previous winners, Rachel Hickey and Isabella Swietlicki were medalists in 2014 (I believe they trained at Elmhurst & Ballet West respectively but please correct me if I'm wrong!) however as the page doesn't specify winners' nationalities, I only know that Brenda Last, who won gold in 1955, was definitely British, although there may be other Brits who have previously won gold whose names I didn't recognise.

https://www.rad.org.uk/documents/genee-docs/PastGeneemedallists_updated_Jun2015.pdf

(Edited to add source of information)

Clair Thomas is British

• Like 1

In 1966 all three medal winners were British - Georgina Sibley, Barbara Rhodes and Heather Hems. I know because I was at the RBS with them! John Gilpin won it in 1945 - he was definitely English!  If you look carefully through the list you should find some very well known dancers among the winners.  It seems to me more in recent years, since the competition has been internationalised, that the winners have been from other countries - Australia, South Africa, Canada etc.  Again should we wonder why? 

By the way going back to this year, I watched it over again and I still think that No.10 (aged 16 from South Africa) deserved a medal and I actually preferred her to both 6 and 11.  All three of her dances were excellent and those feet!!!!!

My dd was in the audience, and absolutely loved it. The thing she noticed most though, was their age - the winners were 15.

In the UK, it is almost unheard of for 15-year-olds to take their Adv 2 exam - let alone pass with distinction. I know that the subject has been discussed many times before, but are we lagging behind a bit here in good old Blighty?