Genée Competition 2015

Circe

It was a lovely evening and heart warming how supportive all the audience were to each finalist and the semi finalists upon their entrance on to the stage at the end. Some mind blowing talent particularly in the Dancers own. Personally there were only two girls I felt didn't quite hit the mark but I felt the rest could easily have medals. Reading the assessment criteria, I agreed with number 6, she was beautiful and fitted the criteria exactly. I felt number 11 really was more of a Bronze than a silver. I thought numbers 2,3,8,10&12 were the unsung heroes. 2 was stunning but lost her nerve in the Summwr solo. 3 you could pop on stage in a company today! All very interesting and inspiring. Bravo to all.edited to say young Mr Mokgatle had me on the edge of my seat. Incredible!

Edited by balletqs

In 1966 all three medal winners were British - Georgina Sibley, Barbara Rhodes and Heather Hems. I know because I was at the RBS with them! John Gilpin won it in 1945 - he was definitely English!  If you look carefully through the list you should find some very well known dancers among the winners.  It seems to me more in recent years, since the competition has been internationalised, that the winners have been from other countries - Australia, South Africa, Canada etc.  Again should we wonder why? 

By the way going back to this year, I watched it over again and I still think that No.10 (aged 16 from South Africa) deserved a medal and I actually preferred her to both 6 and 11.  All three of her dances were excellent and those feet!!!!!

I had predicted that number 10 would be among the medallists and was very surprised when she wasn't. She was my favourite of the girls. I do think that they got the overall winner on the button...I predicted he would win after round one!

I agree numbe 10 was stunning so clean! However for me her solos were danced with the same dynamic, I was trying to put my finger on why she wasn't selected and put it down to artistry. Her classical was beautiful but her dancers own had let her down and I didn't feel she danced the choreographers piece in the way it was designed. Just my opinion, as I say this was me being really picky as to why she wasn't handed a red box. The other factor of course is they are assessed throughout the week and apparently from several sources 6 and 11 were clear favourites. One examiner I spoke to on Saturday night said 11 had been exquisite all week and the potential of both of them and number 4 was very exciting.

• Like 1

My dd was in the audience, and absolutely loved it. The thing she noticed most though, was their age - the winners were 15.

In the UK, it is almost unheard of for 15-year-olds to take their Adv 2 exam - let alone pass with distinction. I know that the subject has been discussed many times before, but are we lagging behind a bit here in good old Blighty?

It does happen here and with high marks.

I've heard an interesting theory on why young Australian and NZ dancers are particularly strong. An Aus parent explained that because they are so far away geographically from Europe they feel pressure to train dancers exceptionally hard so they are not behind when they arrive in Europe/northern hemisphere for auditions/competitions/summer schools etc! Infact what seems to have happened is that they are so thoroughly prepared/trained that they arrive and discover they are often stronger than their European competition. Just a bit of hearsay but does make some sense.

I really don't think there is anything to worry about with the British training. It may appear at first glance that our students are not at the same level at the same age but really, is it THAT important? We are talking 1 or 2 years difference. This year the medalists just happened to be all very young - their potential was undeniable but there were also some other lovely dancers in the final who maybe just lost out on the day. I thought no 2 was mesmerising in the choreographic piece but as balletqs mentioned above, lost her nerve in the classical solo. The 2 girls who won silver and bronze had impeccable classical solos - not so much the choreographic piece I thought, so maybe there is a higher weighting to the classical?

There is a discussion going on about the training in Australia on the 'News' pages and I really don't see an issue. Are our companies littered with Australians? Er no! There are some incredibly gifted principles (Stephen McRea and of course the wonderful Leanne Benjamin) but I'm not aware of loads of others in our companies - just because they get to a very high standard early does not mean they will necessarily mean they will make professionsls or professionsls of high rank - just as many will burn out, get injured and fall by the wayside - just as In any country.

I know one very talented dancer who got her advanced 2 with distinction at 16 ( could have done it at 15 but there was no rush) she decided not to enter the Genee this year as she does not wish to pursue a ballet career - changing her view to contemporary - I would love to have seen her against the finalists she is a stunning dancer both technically and artistically. Not all our best dancers apply, not all our best dancers do RAD.

It was a lovely display of talent and I really don't think anything else should be read into it.

• Like 1

Well, your standard in the first half of the third year of upper school is important as that is when you are auditioning for companies. If you don't have everything in place by then then you are unlikely to secure a contract with a classical company as there will be plenty of others who are the 'finished article' competing against you for a place in a company.

Agreed Eileen, and that is age 18 not 15.

Ballet as a career is for an elite few, some develop early, some a little later. Just because a child trains vocationally is no guarantee of a career - perhaps a more pertinent question, as has been raised before, is are we training too many dancers and is it just an economic exercise for the majority of schools?

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 2

Agreed Eileen, and that is age 18 not 15.

Ballet as a career is for an elite few, some develop early, some a little later. Just because a child trains vocationally is no guarantee of a career - perhaps a more pertinent question, as has been raised before, is are we training too many dancers and is it just an economic exercise for the majority of schools?

That has historically been quite an emotive subject, so perhaps we should stick to the original topic of this year's Genée competition.:-)

• Like 2

I think the overall feedback I gleamed from people who watched the semis and the final was that the ones that shone had a true artistry about them and command of the stage that was missing from some of the UK students. They remarked them as being very strong but perhaps not as willing to let go their personality and Dame MM kept reiterating about the importance of musicality which is a many layered gift! As Mr Rittner so rightly said we should all be encouraging anyone to become part of the arts culture in light of some of the horrors of today's society. I do not think any dancer should be discouraged, culture is ever growing in my opinion, they will all find their path.

• Like 2

My dd was in the audience, and absolutely loved it. The thing she noticed most though, was their age - the winners were 15.

In the UK, it is almost unheard of for 15-year-olds to take their Adv 2 exam - let alone pass with distinction. I know that the subject has been discussed many times before, but are we lagging behind a bit here in good old Blighty?

I know one who did this year, but decided not to enter the Genee as she wished to settle into vocational school and enjoy those important few weeks :)

• Like 5

That's an interesting point that Balletqs made about their being judged also on their performance during the week. That may well explain some judging decisions which we may wonder at.

I think the Australians and South Africans have always pushed their students faster than those in the UK. Possibly for the reasons stated above. I remember that when I was at RBS we had an Australian in our class who had taken her Solo Seal before she joined (I only had my Advanced 1). She could do 64 fouettes on pointe right and left, if my memory hasn't exaggerated her ability! She took the silver Genee in 1967 I think.

I was surprised that they didn't give more medals. They have three each for male and female and I believe can also tie winners. They don't always award the Gold, but I do think boy no.12 was good enough to get either bronze or silver. He's the one who demonstrated on the new RAD Vocational Grade videos. I saw him a couple of years ago at the Yorkshire seminars and he is really good! The third boy was a bit disappointing in his classical solo, although his other two dances were super.

I must say it was a real treat to watch the live streaming and to be able to go back and rewatch it as well. Ah the joys of modern technology and how small it makes the world!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2