Results Day

swanprincess

Eldest Daughter -who doesn't dance- is collecting her a-s level results tomorrow! She did very well in her GCSEs (all A and A*) but she has found A-S levels a lot harder and has done a little less revision! Hopefully she will do well though!

Hope everyone else's children do well too! Good luck

Good luck from me too.  My children all found it a big change from GCSEs to ASs.  Luckily for my daughter - they were still doing January modules because she got the wake up call she needed at that point and realised how much work was needed to get the good grades she needed at AS and A level.

My son's AS results were pretty good and he got very high marks in the subject that he wants to study at university: history. That's always been the problem with him: he has only ever been interested in history and it has been hard to get him to put much effort into anything else. I asked him whether he would work harder next year to improve his grades in the other subjects and he said that he thought that he wouldn't and that he had worked hard this year, which he hadn't - at least not in my book. What can you do?

• Like 1

My non dancing son got his AS results yesterday. He has always struggled with exams and this year went from getting 100% repeatedly on practise papers to getting a U in the actual exam. His school won't allow him to return for Year 13 as he ONLY passed 2 AS levels, not 3, so now he has to totally rethink his life with very little support from the school he's been at since 11. We have hopefully found a level 3 diploma course in Mechanical Engineering for him (interview on Monday) and I think in time he'll see it as a good move but right now he's very down as he won't be returning to school with his friends in September. Huge shock. And to top it all off, yesterday was his birthday. :(

Oh sorry OrchidBlue.  Does your son panic in exams?  One of my cousins did but the technical college he had applied to for 6th form equivalent still accepted him on the basis of his school reports and a reference from the school.  This was more years ago than I care to remember.

It seems somewhat harsh of the school.

Good luck with building your son's spirits up and getting him sorted with something he will enjoy.

• Like 5

Well, that must have been a terrible shock for your son after he had performed so well in the run-up to the exams. Is exam nerves the problem? Is there any kind of additional support which could be given to him? I have heard of students being allowed to take exams in a smaller room rather than a large hall. These days some university courses have a high course work content, which will help your son. There are some very inspiring stories on The Guardian website about people who did very poorly in their A Levels but went on to succeed, academically and professionally, sometimes by changing direction.

Btw, is there any possibility that there has been some terrible mistake in the marking? You can ask to see the script (this has to be done quickly) before deciding whether to ask for a remark. I have heard of a student at my son's school whose grade went up from an E to an A on a remark; I don't know whether this was for the whole subject or just for one module.

• Like 3

He does, and always has, perform worse in exams so nerves definitely play a part, despite his calm exterior. Unfortunately, the school are unwilling to take any evidence other than this exam result as reason for his continued attendance. We are getting copies of the papers sent through and then we will decide if a remark is justified. Feel so sorry for him as his life has just been turned upside down with only a few weeks until the start of term, and in his defence, he worked really hard for the exams, something his teachers doubt, I fear.

Orchidblue,I`m so sorry to hear this. If your son does a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma it is equivalent to 3 A Levels,and is accepted by a lot of universities. There are no exams at all involved over the 2 year course. It is all coursework,assignments,projects,class presentations,etc. It`s a lot of pressure as you are continuously assessed and they throw assignments at you left right and centre,all with different deadlines. If you miss the deadline for handing in an assignment by even one day the only mark they will award you will be Pass,no matter how brilliant your assignment.  However there are no exams at all. My son has just finished the one in Health and Social Care with the awarding grade Distinction Distinction Merit,the second highest mark available. Distinction is equivalent to "A" Level Grade A and Merit is equivalent to "A" Level Grade C. Good luck to your son,in his decision.

• Like 5

Thank you. I do think the diploma will be a good move as the pressure of written exams won't be as intense. He is a hard worker and very bright so fingers crossed it works out for him. I do think his school have treated him harshly but this is just the situation we have to deal with. It's nice to be able to put my frustrations into writing as I only have my husband and my Mum to share this with otherwise.

• Like 4

Thank you. I do think the diploma will be a good move as the pressure of written exams won't be as intense. He is a hard worker and very bright so fingers crossed it works out for him. I do think his school have treated him harshly but this is just the situation we have to deal with. It's nice to be able to put my frustrations into writing as I only have my husband and my Mum to share this with otherwise.

That`s what we`re here for.!

• Like 2

I'm afraid that schools have become very preoccupied with league tables, which makes them very risk averse when entering students for A2s. Has the school expressed an opinion on the result? Was it surprised? What grade was he predicted to get in the exam?

The teacher we spoke to, his head of year, was sympathetic and agreed it was unfair but was strongly against him restarting year 12 at that school. No way they would allow him to begin year 13. The head of sixth form was more interested in eating his lunch than offering support or advice. I agree that it is all to do with A2 results and league tables. He actually got really good grades in his other 2 subjects and is disappointed that he can't continue them. He's reluctant to restart them elsewhere when he's already worked so hard this past year. Hopefully after his interview on Monday he will feel more positive about taking a different path to reach his ultimate goal.

• Like 2

Well, that's very disappointing that he can't continue with the two subjects that he did well in. Why not? He could complete those two A Levels at school and perhaps do a course at the local college at the same time. It sounds as if the school has washed its hands off him.

• Like 3

Well, that's very disappointing that he can't continue with the two subjects that he did well in. Why not? He could complete those two A Levels at school and perhaps do a course at the local college at the same time. It sounds as if the school has washed its hands off him.

Education finance now means you can only study at one educational establishment even if you self fund for one course, which is totally daft in my humble opinion!

Heather

Aka Taximom

Edited by taximom
  • Like 1

I agree, there's a lot that is totally daft about our education system. Compulsory to stay in education until 18, but cast aside with no support or remorse for failing one subject regardless of great grades in two more. And just 2 weeks to rethink his life. Fun times.

Orchidblue,

Apologies if you have heard this story before, but our son took an extended level 3 btec instead of A levels, as I was convinced they were the wrong route for him.  Before we took this move, we contacted a number of  Russell Group universities to check that they would accept them as an alternative.  Our son did well in the Btec, and is now heading for a high 2.1/possible 1st in his degree - and he got five offers of places to study.

His passion was technical theatre; he is studying stage management and earns a very respectable amount at weekends/holidays applying these skills.  Has just been offered a 3 month tour with a professional production.  Not boasting, just pointing out that Btecs can be an absolute blessing.  One point though, he did choose a degree with no formal written examinations as this obviously isn't his strength.  

Good luck to your son; no doubt it will all come out in the wash.

• Like 5