Bolshoi Ballet for London Appearance in Summer 2016?

In her review of the Bolshoi's TAMING OF THE SHREW (choreography J-C Mailot) for DanceTabs such as appears in today's Listings as generously provided by Janet McNulty, Margaret Willis states:

"(The ballet will be screened in cinemas next January – and hopefully be brought when the Bolshoi returns to London in the summer.)"

This 2016 appearance by the Bolshoi in London chimes with a very brief comment that K. O'Hare made (under the Russian translation) in one of the now removed clips from the RB's Russian tour last year.  

I wondered if anyone else had heard more concrete detail concerning the above suggested notifications.  No venue has been specified as far as I am aware nor can I find any reference as to the presenters for this projected London outing.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Hello Bruce,

A friend of mine has spent a month in Russia recently.

He was told by one of the Bolshoi dancers about the company's London visit in summer of 2016.

The company will bring ballets include Marco Spada & Hamlet to London.

• Like 2

As a side note - in the same article referenced in Item no 1 - (although not pertaining to the Bolshoi) - Margaret Willis mentions that - by his own confirmation - Mr. Osiel Gouneo (a young Cuban much admired by C. Acosta) will be dancing with ENB during the Winter season at the Coliseum (perhaps in Corsaire - to which he is well suited.)  

QUOTE:. "(Osiel told me at the party afterwards that he expects to be coming to English National Ballet for the Christmas season – he is a force to watch)."

I have only seen this particular dancer on one occasion but felt he was exciting.

You can see him in but one video clip here where - as a turner - he appears that he may well one day head toward the heights of Damian Woetzel who Baryishnikov once called the 'best turner in ballet history'.  

Here is the same dancer as Ali in a solo from Le Corsaire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjkh1Dw_5es.. 

• Like 4

Oh my. I think my jaw just dropped watching the Osiel Gouneo clip. So elegant.

ETA: Bolshoi! Yes! At this point I barely care what they bring as long as they come. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Coated
  • Like 2

Osiel Gouneo?  Bring him on!  I have seen many clips of him dancing, and he is indeed a wonderful turner....not to mention jumper as well!

And a review of the recent St Petersburg Gala in yesterday's links had him as mentioning that he will be guesting with ENB during their 2015/16 Christmas Season.

Edited to add apologies for the repetition. Didn't see that Bruce Wall had included this news in his post.

Edited by capybara

Brilliant news if the Bolshoi are returning next year. Presumably it will be at the Coliseum if the ROH is still closed for alterations. Will the Hochhausers still be bringing them? I know we sometimes complain about the prices but no one else brings them for so long and hopefully with such diverse programming. I'd love to see Marco Spada though don't know about the new Shrew and don't know anything about Hamlet. It would be great to see Flames again and it seems ages since they brought Bright Stream and Pharoah's daughter though there will obviously have to have some of the 'bums on seats' ballets to counter the more obscure ones (though not I hope their Swan Lake unless they've got a new production).

• Like 4

Hmm. So we now have Cubania, Casablanca screenings, the Buena Vista Social Club and Ben Folds occupying the main house between the 27th of July and the 12th August this year, so I guess maintenance starts at the usual time.

At least it means I won't be sweltering in a theatre at the beginning of August, but I'm not entirely impressed how the 'russian season' has been replaced with 4 things I ain't bothered about.

• Like 2

Oh me oh my .....would love to see Osiel Gouneo he looks fantastic and certainly wonderful for Corsaire .....can't wait!

Sorry not about Bolshoi but had to comment on that clip!!

Hmm. So we now have Cubania, Casablanca screenings, the Buena Vista Social Club and Ben Folds occupying the main house between the 27th of July and the 12th August this year, so I guess maintenance starts at the usual time.

At least it means I won't be sweltering in a theatre at the beginning of August, but I'm not entirely impressed how the 'russian season' has been replaced with 4 things I ain't bothered about.

Sooo disappointing :( :( :(  I thought there was no "russian season" because of the new works to the house but it doesn't look as though that's the case unless the timing for work has fallen behind ? 

• Like 1

Brilliant news if the Bolshoi are returning next year. Presumably it will be at the Coliseum if the ROH is still closed for alterations. Will the Hochhausers still be bringing them? I know we sometimes complain about the prices but no one else brings them for so long and hopefully with such diverse programming. I'd love to see Marco Spada though don't know about the new Shrew and don't know anything about Hamlet. It would be great to see Flames again and it seems ages since they brought Bright Stream and Pharoah's daughter though there will obviously have to have some of the 'bums on seats' ballets to counter the more obscure ones (though not I hope their Swan Lake unless they've got a new production).

Thinking about it a brief 2016 Bolshoi ROH residence might well be under the Royal Opera House/Royal Ballet banner as a reciprocal gesture for the Bolshoi's hosting of the Royal Ballet in Moscow.  This would also allow the Company to benefit from any profits that might be realised by the Bolshoi appearance much as had been surely/deservedly realised by the Hochhausers during longer sojourns in the past on those occasions they had been able to rent the ROH.  This too may well be what K. O'Hare was speaking about in that YT clip I referred to above when he mentioned the element of an increased interaction between the two companies.  It would then make sense that an equivalent Bolshoi London season might consist of a two bill fare as Ryo kindly suggests in item two above.  That would balance the Royal Ballet's own showings during their Moscow week (i.e., Marco Spada and Hamlet vs the Rhapsody mixed bill and Manon).  Still, this is but speculation.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I hope they don't being Hamlet - not that I've seen it but it didn't get good reviews in Moscow. I believe it's more dance theatre than dance and I'd have thought that it would be quite risky for ticket sales.

• Like 1

Thinking about it a brief 2016 Bolshoi ROH residence might well be under the Royal Opera House/Royal Ballet banner as a reciprocal gesture for the Bolshoi's hosting of the Royal Ballet in Moscow.

I regret that it is not being done this year instead of 2016.

• Like 1

There is an absolutely brilliant 1-hour interview with Lilian Hochhauser taken by Katya Novikova in Moscow about 10 days ago. In English with Russian subtitles.

Lilian is telling there the whole story of her work with the Russian performers, at first with musicians (!!! AND WHAT MUSICIANS THEY WERE !!!) and then with ballet companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WclfAGgyQ

Edited by Amelia

• 1 month later...

Hello Bruce,

A friend of mine has spent a month in Russia recently.

He was told by one of the Bolshoi dancers about the company's London visit in summer of 2016.

The company will bring ballets include Marco Spada & Hamlet to London.

Here is the Plan of Bolshoi Ballet's 2015-2016 season:  Bolshoi Ballet will visit London, ROH Covent Garden during 25Jul2016-13August2016.  5 Ballets will be performed:  Swan Lake, Don Quixote, Le Corsaire, The Taming of the Shrews, Flames of Paris

In her review of the Bolshoi's TAMING OF THE SHREW (choreography J-C Mailot) for DanceTabs such as appears in today's Listings as generously provided by Janet McNulty, Margaret Willis states:

"(The ballet will be screened in cinemas next January – and hopefully be brought when the Bolshoi returns to London in the summer.)"

This 2016 appearance by the Bolshoi in London chimes with a very brief comment that K. O'Hare made (under the Russian translation) in one of the now removed clips from the RB's Russian tour last year.  

I wondered if anyone else had heard more concrete detail concerning the above suggested notifications.  No venue has been specified as far as I am aware nor can I find any reference as to the presenters for this projected London outing.  

Here is the Plan of Bolshoi Ballet's 2015-2016 season:  Bolshoi Ballet will visit London, ROH Covent Garden during 25Jul2016-13August2016.  5 Ballets will be performed:  Swan Lake, Don Quixote, Le Corsaire, The Taming of the Shrews, Flames of Paris