Lucky

Tulip

Just reflecting on how lucky we are in our country.

My daughter and all of her friends are now in the process of searching for professional work with dance companies. Up to now I really have to compliment the professionalism of Ballet UK and auditions for Anala. Their auditions are in the form of a workshop, so run for a few hours free of charge. For Anala audition today, just to experience what this company is about must wonderful and exciting. Vienna festival ballet were in London, again the dancers were treated so well during their audition, no rudeness and free of charge. There are some American ballet companies coming to London but you have to pay if they invite you to their audition.

I'm sure there are different experiences out there, and my daughter has got a massive journey ahead of her in just securing a job in her field of dance. But I have to say I'm very impressed in the way these companies have treated these young students.

We are also lucky regarding the amount of excellent quality summer schools up and down the country available to our dancers. They're not cheap but there are scholarships available at some. So my point for the morning is how lucky are we to have all of this in our country.

• Like 11

Thankyou but the fact she got an audition I'm pleased with. I don't expect her to get Inala as I think that is strongly contempory and there are so many out there where that is forte. When I googled who Inala where, I just thought that to have an experience of a workshop with this company would be amazing. I will find out later how it all went.

Just been laughing with my daughter. She has just come out of her Inala audition and she said she has never been outside her comfort zone so much. The ballet class was brilliant, but she found the African dancing part totally unfamiliar. She laughed saying she couldn't dance African. They have kept a few dancers back who my daughter said were brilliant. So all in all she has had a really good audition experience and has come out laughing. I didn't know much about Inala until I saw them on Google. They look like a really exciting company, I'd love to go and see them at some point. Has anyone else seen this company?

• Like 3

Tulip, what a wonderful posting and I am so pleased that your daughter has had wonderful experiences.

Word of warning about American auditions free, paid, open or by invitation. Unless you have the right to work there then it is extremely difficult to get a visa. You have to prove that you are world class by loads of press cuttings, winning international competitions etc. A particular well known American company came to london a few years ago, many RBS students applied and were invited but after the first hour were sent away unless they had a visa!

• Like 1

Thankyou GTKW. It's brilliant to get advice from mums who have kids who are now in professional companies. DD is really getting as much experience from auditions as she can. Learning the ropes so to speak. Are the rules when invited to company class, eg where to stand at the Barr, centre work, when to take your turn etc.

DD saw Inala with her school before Christmas and said they were fantastic. I think they are back at Saddlers Wells early summer. She would have liked to audition there - for the experience - but she is not starting the audition process until Easter as she has the graduate showcase tour and performances of La Bayadere this month and next. It is such an exciting and daunting time for them (and expensive). Good luck to all our DC trying to get their first professional contract.

• Like 6

Another thing that we are so lucky to have in our country now is dance medicine under our good old NHS. My daughter had an appointment in the London site for a hip flexor injury, she didn't have to wait long for an appointment and her check up was thorough. Sometimes we really do need to stop and look at all the fantastic things that is on offer to us in the UK.

• Like 11

Thankyou GTKW. It's brilliant to get advice from mums who have kids who are now in professional companies. DD is really getting as much experience from auditions as she can. Learning the ropes so to speak. Are the rules when invited to company class, eg where to stand at the Barr, centre work, when to take your turn etc.

I am lead to believe that in company class the Barre is the tricky one as everyone has their own special place and woe betide anyone who takes it (even other company members) so it is best to wait and slot in. Obviously you want to be seen so positioning yourself at the back in centre work isn't a good idea. Wait until a couple of groups have gone, just so you know what to do and if in doubt do it and go again. I will ask DS if he has any additional advise and get back to you via a PM.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi Tabitha, my daughter is with Northern Ballet professional programme, which she is really enjoying. She was offered a place at a small ballet company, but the pay was so small, that you couldn't afford to live in London and pay rent. The training is very high standard and excellent for keeping her at her best whilst auditioning. Auditions start again soon. Graduates are listed on Centralschoolofballet website saying where students have gone, however graduate lists change as student gain employment after the list has been printed and like wise contracts end, leaving students unemployed again.

• Like 4

Oh so pleased she found a place that she is happy with. I wish her the best of luck again this year with everything. It is a shame that there are a lot of jobs out there in smaller companies, both in this country and in Europe but as you say, paying barely enough to live on.

• Like 1

A lot of companies are asking for dancers with three years experience after graduation. It is difficult out there. My daughter got to dance in the Nutcracker at Northern company and now the graduates are learning swans for swan lake, which can all be added to a CV.

• Like 2

Tulip, we had noticed the two or three years experience required by some companies before they will consider you for audition and also with some the minimum age of 20. It is a worry.

Would you be happy to share details about the Northern Graduate scheme? For example numbers in class, ratio of boys to girls and opportunities to do PDD, hours of teaching and styles?

• Like 1

There is a Facebook page called starboard performers, which I have never seen advertised anywhere. It just happened to come up on my daughter little dance school private page. So there you go, some opportunities don't get seen on all these other websites. Starboard seems to be an agent for mostly cruise ships, I haven't heard of them before.

Starboard performers is an agent and and in fact she does attend quite a lot of the graduate showcases and end of year productions for quite a few more northern based performing arts colleges. She does recruit for cruise ships and does in fact post vacancies on sites like Talent Cast and Ents Web.