RBS junior associates - insights please!

HappyGirl

We had no idea what we were going into when my son auditioned and had no thoughts at all about whether this was a long-term career prospect - just that he liked ballet, and how lovely would it be to get to have classes from the RBS!  When my daughter went, we knew an awful lot more!! However, she wasn't saying at that age that she wanted to be a ballet dancer - again, she was good at ballet, and it was an opportunity to see whether they liked her and she liked ballet enough to take it further.  As it turns out she wasn't made to be a ballet dancer, but she had a lovely time at the classes.

Even if a child gets into JAs, there are many, many more hoops to jump through before they're committing themselves to ballet as a career.  Just enjoy the audition and see what happens.  And just because they're offered a place, whether that's JAs, full-time school, dance college, it doesn't mean they have to take it - it's all about opportunities and not having regrets at not trying.

• Like 5

I totally agree Julie. I'm sure the JA experience has loads to offer and all sorts of other benefits even if they don't end up pursuing ballet any further and I can see that it's a wonderful opportunity whatever happens eventually. I guess I'm concerned that it could become the main focus when it's not perhaps what dd would chose to focus on if she were to actually sit down and decide - hence my feeling that we need to have a serious talk. I guess the audition itself would be a test of how keen she really is though?

• Like 1

Personally I would be inclined to audition for your local JAs and see what your DD thinks of the audition.  If she is lucky enough to get a place, let her try it and see what she thinks.  At this stage like any parent I am sure you just want your DD to be happy and enjoying herself.  Treat it as a special day out.  Certainly do not worry about the future at this stage - it would be an extra activity to do if she enjoys it - but it would not count against her if does not want to do it.  At the moment I think it is more about DD's enjoyment and how it fits timewise and financially for your own family circumstances than anything DD may wish to do or not do in the future.

• Like 3

Hi HappyGirl

I've been reading the thread but just thought I'd comment on my experience. About 20 ish years ago (gosh that makes me feel old) I auditioned as a 7/8 year old for the JAs (it might have been called something different back then though). My teacher suggested it to my mum and like you we knew nothing about it at the time. I was adamant that I did not want to be a ballerina and really didn't want to do the audition (especially as the process of taking a photo for the application form was a lot more difficult without a digital camera, I think we developed about 4 films before we found the right photo) but my mum just said I had nothing to lose and that even if they offered me a place I didn't have to take it. So I had the day off school to go to the audition and we treated it like a fun day out and went swimming afterwards and out for lunch. I went along to the audition and actually really enjoyed it and despite my threats that I wasn't going to try I actually tried my hardest on the day.  

In the end I didn't get offered a place, and I was a bit upset, but things moved on and I continued dancing at my local dance school until I was 18. I recently returned to dancing as an adult and I really love it. I didn't audition again and who knows what would have happened if I did, and in a way I'm glad that I didn't get in, I don't think I'd have had the passion and determination to be a professional dancer and I'm probably too tall and shapely too and maybe the RBS could tell that when I was 7) I also didn't have to go through the heartache that lots of young dancers do when they audition and get a no, but I still love dancing and I don't regret taking the opportunity.

I'd suggest go for it and see what happens and don't put too much pressure on your DD, like Julie said going to JAs doesn't mean that she will go on to being a ballerina. And if she doesn't get in then there are plenty more opportunities in the future to try again if she would like to persue dance.

• Like 3

Does the Royal Ballet School still run "JA for a day" (or as they are now calling them, "Associate Experience Days"? I had a look here: http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/training/associates/how-to-apply/ but could only see that some days were held last month. Happygirl, it might be worth emailing to see if there is a forthcoming day at Eastleigh.

Your daughter is still very young still and you say enjoys ballet as just one of other hobbies......and at her age this seems a very healthy situation. Although children can have wise old souls sometimes she probably won't know at that age just how much it will take to be a "ballerina" so I wouldn't worry that she says she doesn't want to be one at this stage! Who knows!!

If she continues to enjoy ballet somewhere in the next couple of years I would say the "bug" will get her if its going to at all and she will start to feel very serious about it and will want to do more classes. However even if the "bug" does get her there are still several directions Dance may take her in and in the end even if she is very good at ballet she may not choose this form of dance for a career.....

So, if your finances etc permit I would suggest she does go for this audition. If she gets a place now (definitely go for local if poss) She will find out faster no doubt just how much a passion for ballet she has or not! If she doesn't have it she will not want to continue with the classes but at least she has found that out. If she is unsuccessful on this occasion but really loved the audition etc she may want to try again in a years time......and as you say yourself in another year with perhaps more local classes she will have a better idea of where she stands with it all and how serious she wants to be about it all.

Certainly to make it as a dancer and especially in ballet you would just have to have that passion and desire for it all and a degree of single minded ness to succeed with a career in the professional world. Very few make it to "ballerina" status in the end.

But having said that if she just enjoys dancing then its a lovely hobby to have and she may want to try different styles and forms of Dance as she gets older which she can get a lot of pleasure from and take into adult life. So it's fine just to carry on with classes etc without it being seriously considered as a career option.

I'm pretty sure your fears of being swept up into something will be totally unfounded.....unless....your daughter does discover ballet is her passion after all that is!! Just attending a JA class (if she is successful) cannot put a passion there she does not feel but it will certainly help to clarify how she does feel. I feel that at her age she has nothing to lose and maybe lots to gain by going for this audition.

Not that many children get asked to even try!!

Linda

• Like 2

Thanks again for all the really helpful thoughts. Lin I agree with a lot of what you say. She is still very young and it is healthy for her to have a balance of intetests. It's all about exploring and finding out what's out there at this age - much of it will be about life enrichment rather having any influence on future careers too - and that's the way it should be in my opinion.

My comments about dd not wanting to be a ballerina were more about how she views her ballet right now, rather than actually thinking ahead to the future. But, I totally see your point Lin in that she is too young to really got a 'bug' for one thing yet - and JAs would be a good way of testing out whether or not ballet is her thing.

Unfortunately Eastliegh only offer weekly sessions so kind of thinking that fortnightly in London might be better option if it were to come to that. I don't think dd would cope well with weekly just yet, even if it was closer. Tricky one.

All pie in the sky at the moment I know but need to weigh it up.

• Like 1

Yes Happy Girl must be all very bewildering at this stage but your DD should guide you and as long as she doesn't have to give up something she doesn't want to, to make room for the ballet.....at this stage.....I'm sure she will!! She will either be nagging you she wants to give up or nagging you to attend more classes, auditions for JA's, or even vocational schools!!

I would just like to clarify that I'm not a parent of a DD or DS just someone who has had a lifelong and on/off relationship with ballet.

There have been points when it has been my main passion in life (as it is again now as a 60 plus return to ballet person!!) but at other crucial times I just didn't have that single minded ness and other things took priority.....like studying languages!! However had a lovely time in my 20's and 30's performing in ballet in an amateur capacity.

You can have a passion for something that doesn't actually become your career choice. I'm sure many in the Forum (could make an interesting thread come to think of it) are very good at things that are nothing to do with their jobs!!

So go for what suits you and DD at the moment and if this is a fortnightly JA in London then that's fine. Hope you do get offered a place anyway.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more Lin re. having a passion that doesn't relate ok any way to career. In fact I think it's important to have an outlet that enriches your life but doesn't necessarily earn you a living. Amazing if you can combine the two of course but that must be a rare thing.

Dd and I had a chat about the whole JA thing yesterday. She's being very sensible about it and says she would really like to go to TG audition for the experience and just to see what it's like and because she'd always wonder if she could've got in if she doesn't. She's got reservations about the lessons though - she hates long journies and loves family time at weekend. I think if she goes to audition she'd have a better idea if whether it's something she'd enjoy though. Plus, I emphasised that it was something to take one step at a time. Now to discuss with dh who is less keen on the concept - another factor in all this!

• Like 2

Ah yes the problem of the ultra practical males!! Bless them!!

When I was growing up my dad was much keener on me concentrating on getting "a good education" than all the "Dance malarkey!!"

So mum had to be a very good diplomat so to speak?

• Like 2

Dh is more sports focused - if it was a sporting academy trial he might view it differently! Although since watching dd's ballet class at the end of last term he has more respect for it! I think he thought they just pranced around pretending to be fairies! He's also more practical and sees the huge commitment it would entail - and the cost too of course. That's men for you I guess.

Think I will need to polish up on my diplomacy skills if we're going to go ahead and audition!

• Like 2

Whatever you both decide, HappyGirl, I hope it works out for the best for you all. I feel for you. Neither of my parents were the least bit interested in my ballet classes and they both considered that it was more important for me to get a good education. My father was sport oriented and I think he would have preferred me to do something athletic well rather than dancing. Good luck!

My dd auditioned for the junior associates last year she was 7 at the time, but was 8 in the august so was very very young, the audition was very simple with actually very few dance exercises in, most of it was looking at the body, my dd loved the experience but was unsuccessful, this year she wants to try again and is under no understanding she will get in again but just said she loved dancing in the Covent garden royal ballet studios and she said to me I will never know if I don't try, so what could I say to that!! So photos are done and audition ready to post! Good luck to what ever you decide, but I would also say you have to follow your child cause I think if it was up to me, I would not be doing it x

• Like 1

You're so right balletmum20 - it's got to be about a balance between practicalities and what dd wants - it's her life after all. If it was down to me I wouldn't do it (and certainly wouldn't have wanted to when I was 8!) but it's not about me. I have yet to read about a bad experience with the audition process and the fact that your daughter wants to try again shows that it must be an enjoyable experience. I'm starting to think we have nothing to lose at this stage.

• Like 1

Honestly she came out of the audition on a real high, thoroughly enjoyed it, the only thing I would say that was bad, was the waiting before they went in, with some mothers over stretching there children, but my dd was not that bothered by that, it was me think omg what are you doing to that child! But apart from that a well organized and enjoyable day, and yes she would go every year if she did not get in xx

• Like 1

I fully understand where you are coming from regarding your DD's age balletmum20, my granddaughter is almost the same, the odd thing is she was born nine weeks premature, and misses the younger section by one day.

Edited by Vonrothbart

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who shared their JA insights with me on this thread. After much deliberation we have decided to take dd to the London audition. Photos have now been taken and form is all ready to send off. Dd is very excited about the whole thing but has a realistic approach to it too - the deciding point for me was when we were discussing it and she said "I'll never know what might have happened unless I try". So true. Who knows what will happen but for now we're going to enjoy the experience of the audition.

• Like 5

My daughter has applied for JAs and I sent the form off last week. We applied last year and had an email confirmation from them to say they had received her application and that they would be in touch re audition date. This year I haven't had an email confirmation and it says on the application form not to contact them re arrival of forms. It suggests sending guaranteed delivery, which I did. I have tracked it on line with Royal Mail and it says it's been delivered but I wandered if others who have applied have had confirmation emails this year from RBS?

HappyGirl, I'm glad you've made a decision! I watched your thread here and on Mumsnet with interest. Balletsister, my dd has applied and yes we did get an acknowledgement but we applied a week or so earlier to Birmingham when possibly they weren't so busy so I'm sure they'll get to you soon. I notice that there are four days of auditions in London so I expect it'll take time to plough through them?...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when applying for ja if a second centre can be requested? We live between London and Eastleigh and have applied for London. I know very competitive entry at all centres but looking at RBS report looks like odds much lower for London last year as huge nbers auditioned there.

When My DD applied we put two ticks, as we live in the middle of know-where so there were two possible options for us. The one that was easier for us to get to, I put a big tick by that centre ( and that was the centre she auditioned at) we also put a small tick in the other centre that would have been OK too. We were told that this was quite normal and encouraged. In fact the lady there on the audition day said that if anyone would consider another centre to tell the lady on the door, as you leave.  I think the centre we applied for is quite popular. Anyway she got a place at our first choice location. ;-)

Well, I posted dd's audition form today so guess we're definitely 'in'! She is really excited and caht wait for it to happen. I wondered the same thing about ticking more than one centre. I'm sure I've read on here that people are sometimes offered centres other than the one they tick, maybe because it's nearer or to balance numbers etc. interesting that they actually say about mentioning willingness to go to another centre at audition. I can't begin to imagine the logistics of sorting auditions and/or offers out. The mind boggles as to how they work all that out!!!