Letter of protest against Wayne Eagling's resignation (Dancing Times)

Ann, once something has become common knowledge in some circles it is IMO pointless to delay making an official announcement once those most affected by the decision have been informed. It makes the Board look weak, or worse, and is not fair on the incumbent.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lindsay - please - I cetainly wasn't including you among the 'insistent' posters!

Incidentally, I see another poster has now made an announcement and, although I'm very pleased, I'm holding back on my congratulatory message (yes, I'm delighted!) until I see something official-looking from the ENB board.

Has my post about the new AD of ENB been taken down? The Board should just get on with it and make the announcement! The situation is becoming ridiculous. The identity of the new AD is being hinted at if not actually stated all over the web. I'm off to DT now.

I have genuine respect and admiration for the administrators here following the letter of the law, but it is ridiculous that a professional body should expect to be able to rely upon such goodwill. "Press management" of the standard seen at ENB (and indeed several other major arts institutions) is so amateurish that it would likely constitute a sacking offence in most commercial organisations.

The post was taken down - it was based on information elsewhere that was put up in error and has been removed elsewhere. It was an unfortunate mistake. We all understand that the news needs to be out there BUT releasing news is more then just about chucking it up on the net. Staff, papers, TV all need to be considered by organisations and all need to be on side.

As I said before, the Board is not helping itself. Wayne Eagling's departure is on the face of it controversial and the best thing for the Board to do is stifle that controversy by announcing the new AD and talking about the future etc. etc.

Bruce, of course you need to try and bring people with you and "manage" opinion but any semi-decent inhouse PR professional these days understands that in the age of the internet speed is of the essence. Any advance briefings must be to professional reporters you can absolutely trust not to tweet or otherwise leak the news (usually assured by offering them interviews or other exclusive access once the news becomes public) and when you do release onto the web you get on the phone at exactly the same time to any other "opinion-formers" so they also feel they have an inside scoop. Letting it drift out piecemeal as is currently happening prevents you from telling "your version" of the story. Even the ROH (not exactly the smoothest of operations in many, many areas) managed to keep the Kevin O'Hare announcement "clean". As I said, I have great respect for the way this site conducts its operations but the reality of the internet age is that very few will be so scrupulous.

Lindsay, by allowing speculation to go on and on ENB are not managing opinion at all as people are forming their own opinions and will be less receptive to what ENB says when it finally breaks its silence. Timeliness is really important in this type of situation.

I won't say more - I'm not an active moderator here but I could see a mistake had probably been made by a reputable organisation, called them to check and the info had already been removed by them. I spoke to John Mallinson, chief admin here, and he was not in a position to act himself. Its an unfortunate position for all.

• Like 1

As the post has been removed now, I do think people should perhaps say little on the subject until an official announcement is made. I know that many disagree with how the whole situation has been handled by the board of ENB but I am worried that someone may accidentally say more than they mean to.

The internet is one thing but email is something else and I've been sent a copy of the press release that had clearly done the rounds before it got to me. I will play by the rules and not reveal the name here. I will however be forwarding it to everyone I know personally in the ballet world that is interested in ENB.

Guest Effie

Hello Effie, I assume you've wandered over here because of the lack of dialogue on the Dancing Times page (which must be raking in a small fortune in advertising with all the page hits!) As mentioned earlier in this thread, this forum is predominantly pro-RB rather than pro-ENB, so the members don't necessarily feel as passionately as the ones commenting on the WWW? page.

As Ian has suggested above, there are probably diplomacy reasons at stake, while for myself, I feel that the board's statement so far is entirely standard, and a means of trying to keep the full story where it belongs - in private. However, the various bits and pieces I've heard from various sources at ENB have been echoed by several people in the comments on the Dancing Times thread so as I said earlier, please do read through them if you are still seeking answers.

I appreciate that you want to stimulate the conversation, however as you'll see, the pro-Wayne/anti-Talbot discussion is a lot livelier over on DT! Us lot are happier discussing the intricacies of the Sweet Violets storyline....

Hello Effie, I assume you've wandered over here because of the lack of dialogue on the Dancing Times page (which must be raking in a small fortune in advertising with all the page hits!) As mentioned earlier in this thread, this forum is predominantly pro-RB rather than pro-ENB, so the members don't necessarily feel as passionately as the ones commenting on the WWW? page.

As Ian has suggested above, there are probably diplomacy reasons at stake, while for myself, I feel that the board's statement so far is entirely standard, and a means of trying to keep the full story where it belongs - in private. However, the various bits and pieces I've heard from various sources at ENB have been echoed by several people in the comments on the Dancing Times thread so as I said earlier, please do read through them if you are still seeking answers.

I appreciate that you want to stimulate the conversation, however as you'll see, the pro-Wayne/anti-Talbot discussion is a lot livelier over on DT! Us lot are happier discussing the intricacies of the Sweet Violets storyline....

I'd dispute that: it's just that the people who tend to post seem to watch the RB rather more than they do ENB. And/or we don't know enough about the situation to add anything concrete, rather than just speculate :). Anyway, dating back at least as far as Peter Schaufuss in 1990, the board has never discussed decisions of this sort publicly (and arguably it shouldn't, for legal reasons), and I doubt anything will change this time.

Guest Effie

I am astounded: I was under the impression that ballet is an art, not a sport. So we all have to be on one side or the other. Do you give out team scarves? It does seem a bit kindergarten time to me. Sorry, I will get off before I am mugged and not post further.

• Like 1

It is a fact in all walks of life that the reputable press accepts and adheres to voluntary embargos until agreed release times. As an example there was a really nasty drug trial in Liverpool some years ago where witnesses and jury members had been threatened. We all knew something was going on in the court because we could all see the police convoys every day. The press did not report anything at all until the jury had pronounced and sentences had been made. This is just one example.

It is likely that at least one more organisation is involved. I am assuming that the incoming AD is not currently claiming JSA. If you applied for a job, would you go round telling everyone, including your employers, of your intentions - I think not. Therefore it is only proper to assume that the other organisation requires some sort of notice in case that organisation also wants to organise a press release.

I myself was subject to news being issued to early some years ago in work. A colleague issued a statement across our internet announcing his happy appointment to a project post I had been told was mine a couple of weeks earlier. My management team (in a different location) had not told the Liverpool team that the project team structure was being changed. You could imagine how distressed I felt. As it happened the new team structure made much better sense and I ended up with a post I much preferred. It did not, however, erase the memory of the distress I was caused by the premature announcement.

I can understand that everyone is waiting with bated breath but it is unfortunate that current comments seem to be casting aspersions at personnel within the Company who, at the end of the day, are only trying to do their job to the best of their abilities. From what I have read, the official announcement is due tomorrow. Let's leave it till tomorrow and we can then have a separate thread with all the congratulations for the new incumbent.

• Like 1

A trial is a very good example and these things work when something that serious is involved. I work in a press office and although the organization I work for places embargoes on many press releases, these are constantly being breached by both press and politicians.

Out of interest, if the new incumbent is unsuitable, will you still offer congratulations?

• Like 1

The ENB Board was quick enough to recruit the new AD (Wayne E's departure was only announced on 20 February) and so it seems strange that the Board is so slow to let everyone know who the new AD is going to be. I'm sure that the new AD's current employer has known for weeks that s/he is going, for obvious reasons.

*deemed* unsuitable, I hope you mean :).

Janet, as usual, makes some good points. Trouble is, people who break embargoes tend to put their future relationship with the press office in question at risk.

• Like 2

MAB, if the new AD is who I think it is then I do have some concerns, although I do of course wish him/her well in his/her new position, which is a very challenging one. I imagine that all the dancers and staff are feeling apprehensive. Regardless of who the new AD is, there is generally a shake-up when someone new is appointed to a position like this. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few departures from ENB as the new AD's preferences and priorities become known.

In my office we send out embargoed press releases so that the press have our response to major pronouncements in advance. Saves them the trouble of having to ring us and saves us the trouble of a switchboard jammed with calls from journalists.

In the wider scheme of things I don't understand why ENB have released in this fashion, after all this news isn't of interest to the wider public anyway.

Well here's another work example. A reorganisation was being planned. Our senior managers had done a draft that was given to several of us to input. One person, not involved in the discussions, was shown the early draft by her manager (not me). She then told an individual that he was picking up a promotion. Think of his mortification when someone else was allocated to that post. Embargoes are there for a reason and we need to respect that however strongly we feel that it is a waste of time.

I understand that Janet and that is why I appreciate this forum's respect for such etiquette and would always follow it myself. The point I'm making is that once the cat is effectively out of the bag (which is without doubt the case here) it is unwise of an institution to continue to wait. Wouldn't it have helped the employee in your example if, once senior management knew the information had leaked to him, they had given him a frank explanation of their discussions rather than letting him "stew" on semi-informed half-truths?

Sadly, senior management did not find out about the leak until the general announcement. The look of shock on people's faces was quite staggering and we only found out later what had happened! I should have said also that other changes had been made to the draft structure hence the mass shock.

I don't know what the answer is and, presumably in this case, more than one organisation is involved so it may not be a case of ENB being able to change the release time without negotiation.

As it must be less than 24 hours to go I just think people should let the sleeping dog lie for the time being.

Well, as I'm 99.9% certain who the new AD is I've already made up my mind about what I think of the appointment. It might, however, be interesting to hear what the new AD's vision and plans for ENB are but I wonder whether we, the lowly taxpayers and paying public, will be given this information. Probably not. Oh well, I'm off to see the rivals across town now.