Letter of protest against Wayne Eagling's resignation (Dancing Times)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that you acknowledge your professional links to ENB. I am however slightly surprised that, whether by oversight or not, you did not append your name to the posting, especially in view of earlier comments here about the anonymous writers of the Dancing Times letter and your stated intent to write to the papers under your own name.

Your posting is very critical of the ENB board's decision. Our stated policy is "If a member chooses to make highly critical comments this must be done in their own name and not behind an anonymous user name and email address."

John - I'm afraid this is ambiguous and it needs to be clear, in my opinion. You do not state what you require Irmgard to do, if anything. Are you saying that Irmgard must supply her full name or her post will be deemed to be in contravention of the acceptable use policy and removed?

So, anyone with a stake in a company or school (for example, Board members, major donors, employees, professional advisers such as solicitors, accountants etc) would be expected to declare themselves?

No, of course not. It depends what they were posting about. If a hypothetical leotard seller was posting a review of a performance then certainly not. If he or she was saying that Brand X of which he or she has the UK distribution rights is the most hardwearing then absolutely. I think one has to extrapolate from there and let common sense prevail. Or, to take a nearer but very improbable scenario, if an ENB board member was to post highly critical things about a member of ENB staff without declaring their position that would be totally unacceptable.

John - I'm afraid this is ambiguous and it needs to be clear, in my opinion. You do not state what you require Irmgard to do, if anything. Are you saying that Irmgard must supply her full name or her post will be deemed to be in contravention of the acceptable use policy and removed?

It's not for me to dictate to Irmgard what she should do, I was just pointing out what the policy is, mainly with a view to making people think about it.

And perhaps I should say that I did expect that Irmgard would have added her real name.

Edited by John Mallinson
Afterthought

If anyone is still more interested in the fate of ENB than poster's user names, you may care to know that I've received a reply from the Arts Council after writing to them yesterday. It was a cop out - my concerns weren't even addressed and they wrote at length about the confidentiality of candidates for Wayne Eagling's job, which was odd because at no point in my letter did I mention possible successors at all.

I won't comment further on what I thought of that "considered" reply (or the Arts Council) as I would almost certainly get censored.

Spannerandpony, nobody has to justify what they spend their money on or what they post on, but IMO little interest is shown in ENB on this site. Think of the vast number of posts on one dancer's (Melissa Hamilton's) recent debut, R@J and the revival of Alice at the ROH; in contrast, not one person seems to have gone to the current ENB programme apart from me. I'm not asking anyone to do anything; I'm just making what I believe to be a reasonable observation.

Aileen - it is a perfectly reasonable observation. On the old ballet.co site, there were very few posts on ENB compared to RB and I could never understand it given that they are both based and perform a lot in London. There were more posts on BRB than ENB, though that was generally down to a very small number of posters. I think it's very sad. I think many ballet supporters do have a team that they support, the "home" team, a bit like football supporters you could say. I hope we can continue to see a resurgence of posts about ENB - and believe me, this is a resurgence.

If anyone is still more interested in the fate of ENB than poster's user names, you may care to know that I've received a reply from the Arts Council after writing to them yesterday. It was a cop out - my concerns weren't even addressed and they wrote at length about the confidentiality of candidates for Wayne Eagling's job, which was odd because at no point in my letter did I mention possible successors at all.

I won't comment further on what I thought of that "considered" reply (or the Arts Council) as I would almost certainly get censored.

Sounds like you got fobbed off with a 'standard' letter, that didn't really address your own communication to them. Dealing with large organisations, the response you get often indicates theat your letter to them, was barely read, just skimmed for a few keywords that could be gleaned in order to pick an 'appropriate' (though they rarely are) standard response. Poor effort, in other words.

Wow, I can't believe how little interest in this topic there is on this forum (apart from people tut-tutting about anonymous letters). No-one seems to have gone to see the Beyond Ballets Russes programme either. I conclude from this that, with a few exceptions, most of the members are only interested in the RB. If this letter had been written about the RB I'm sure that there would have been dozens if not hundreds of responses. Is this site actually for RB supporters and I hadn't realised it? If there is a site for ENB supporters perhaps someone will point me in the right direction.

Hello Aileen, I am very interested in ENB. I don't post very often as I am a bit shy. I have a ticket for the Saturday matinee & looking forward to it. However, I find ENB prices are way too expensive [if you want a decent view]. I can get a very good seat in the stalls circle at Covent Garden for half the price I paid for the Coli. Also, I am very sad that Wayne has been sacked.

Susan

It's not for me to dictate to Irmgard what she should do, I was just pointing out what the policy is, mainly with a view to making people think about it.

And perhaps I should say that I did expect that Irmgard would have added her real name.

Please see my post made at 1.46pm. Irmgard IS my real name. I would not dream of posting my take on ENB using an anonymous username.
  • Like 1

For information, the Acceptable Use Policy is at http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/417-the-balletcoforum-acceptable-use-policy/ . Section 3 is particularly relevant. Perhaps to make it crystal clear we should have "full name" :)

Edit: it has been brought to my attention that the original link appeared to lead to a page which wasn't visible to the general public. I hope I have corrected this, but if it is still not visible, please let us know.

Edited by alison
Changed link
  • Like 1

We feel that it is a real pity that this thread, which started being about Wayne Eagling, has been swamped by posts about anonymity and really quite unfortunate attacks on Irmgard, whom we know from our frequent visits to the ENB studios and attendance at performances of Giselle, and who wrote in such a supportive and thoughtful way about the situation at ENB. We should also say that, out of 14 possible dress rehearsals/performances in the current Ballet Russe run at the Coliseum, we are going to 11. We have been thrilled by the first programme, which evidences all the points we make below, and looking forward to the second, which includes the wonderful Apollo and Suite en Blanc, together with Jeux which Wayne has made at very short notice after a choreographer had to drop out.

In common with the writer of the letter to the DT, Jeffrey Taylor in the Express, and people we have spoken to recently, we cannot understand the thinking of the ENB Board in wishing to dispose of Wayne's services, as clearly they have. For us, his achievements include the following:

- standards of production and performance generally acknowledged to be the highest ever achieved by ENB

- attracting top dancers to join the company and stay happily

- bringing on, and giving opportunities to, new, young talent

- developing an exciting line up of young male dancers

- introducing international teachers of high calibre

- assembling and leading an enormously talented Ballet Staff able to get the very best out of the Company at all levels

and imbue the rehearsal process with a sense of enjoyment and shared endeavour (no wonder the corps is such a joy)

- nurturing choreographers from within and outside the Company

- commissioning new works as well as choregraphing some himself

- introducing audiences to little seen works and choreographers - e.g. Roland Petit

- balancing innovation in the repertoire (which inspires the dancers) with the necessary Box Office favourites

- programming mixed bills with great skill (an aspect which many Directors get wrong)

- developing the ENB brand and support in the regions even though progress in this respect is hard won

- engendering critical acclaim/media support

It is against such criteria that we believe the performance of an Artistic Director should be judged. The flower throw at last night's performance spoke volumes in terms of people's acknowledgement of the achievements of the Company under Wayne's leadership.

BalletcoForum readers who may not yet have a ticket for Ballet Russes Programme 2 - please get yourselves down to the Coliseum: you will not be disappointed.

Linda and Michael Gainsbury

• Like 2

It has been nobody's intention to "attack" Irmgard. The Acceptable Use Policy of the forum has been pointed out, and hopefully that makes it clear that anyone posting what could be seen as highly critical material (be that of a school, company, or board, for example) does so under their own name (including surname).

And welcome to the forum. :-)

Capybara, well said.

I know that this is off topic but could you tell me about the flower throw last night. I've never seen this at any performance by any company. Also, were there some debuts last night? Who were they and in what roles? I saw and very much enjoyed (and appreciated) two performances of Programme 1 and I'm going to two performances of Programme 2.

I know that this is off topic but could you tell me about the flower throw last night. I've never seen this at any performance by any company. Also, were there some debuts last night? Who were they and in what roles?

I'll take this bit into the Beyond Ballets Russes bill thread so as not to take this thread too off-topic: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/481-enb-beyond-ballets-russes/

Unfortunately, it seems that we can only move posts to another forum, not duplicate them, and I wanted to leave your comment relating to this thread here.

• Like 1

Thank you, Linda and Michael, for bringing the thread back to its original topic and for stating with such clarity your concern about the company, which we love and care about.

Thank you, Irmgard, for letting us learn more about the ENB’s situation, which worried me last year and even more in the last few weeks.

The anonymity of the letter to “Dancing Times” does not worry me at all. It looks that the author knows someone in the company or close to it and obviously is keen to protect his contacts and sources by remaining anonymous.

I trust the content of this letter since I also heard the rumours that the Artistic Director did not volunteer to be relieved of the job. And why should he? These two last weeks at the Coliseum showed that his company is in good shape, that new imaginative programmes are produced, and the dancers are performing them with great enthusiasm.

WHY SHOULD WAYNE EAGLING GO?

Why that ludicrously short amount of time - just 12 days! - were given between advert going in and closure of applications for new Artistic Director?

What terms of Eagling’s departure made him silent? I am sure he has nothing to hide and can tell the world a lot about this situation. It looks to me as a forced resignation.

If my assumption is wrong, I would like to hear the Chairman of the Board contradicting this.

If I am right, even more I would like to hear his explanation why the successful AD is leaving the company and nobody in the company utters a word about it PUBLICLY.

As a company subsidised by the state the ENB can not carry out the major changes in the leadership in total secrecy.

• Like 1

It has been nobody's intention to "attack" Irmgard. The Acceptable Use Policy of the forum has been pointed out, and hopefully that makes it clear that anyone posting what could be seen as highly critical material (be that of a school, company, or board, for example) does so under their own name (including surname).

And welcome to the forum. :-)

Sorry for all this fuss about my name. I realise no-one is trying to attack me and Alison has clarified that all I needed to do was put my FULL name against my post which I am happy to do. Incidentally, I have sent letters of tribute about Wayne to Dancing Times and Dance Europe and both have agreed to publish in full. Dancing Times should be online tomorrow and I was asked by the Editor if I am happy to have my name published which of course I am.

Irmgard E. Berry M.A.

Adviser to the Skeaping Estate :)

(to clear up any confusion!)

• Like 2

We feel that it is a real pity that this thread, which started being about Wayne Eagling, has been swamped by posts about anonymity and really quite unfortunate attacks on Irmgard, whom we know from our frequent visits to the ENB studios and attendance at performances of Giselle, and who wrote in such a supportive and thoughtful way about the situation at ENB. We should also say that, out of 14 possible dress rehearsals/performances in the current Ballet Russe run at the Coliseum, we are going to 11. We have been thrilled by the first programme, which evidences all the points we make below, and looking forward to the second, which includes the wonderful Apollo and Suite en Blanc, together with Jeux which Wayne has made at very short notice after a choreographer had to drop out.

In common with the writer of the letter to the DT, Jeffrey Taylor in the Express, and people we have spoken to recently, we cannot understand the thinking of the ENB Board in wishing to dispose of Wayne's services, as clearly they have. For us, his achievements include the following:

- standards of production and performance generally acknowledged to be the highest ever achieved by ENB

- attracting top dancers to join the company and stay happily

- bringing on, and giving opportunities to, new, young talent

- developing an exciting line up of young male dancers

- introducing international teachers of high calibre

- assembling and leading an enormously talented Ballet Staff able to get the very best out of the Company at all levels

and imbue the rehearsal process with a sense of enjoyment and shared endeavour (no wonder the corps is such a joy)

- nurturing choreographers from within and outside the Company

- commissioning new works as well as choregraphing some himself

- introducing audiences to little seen works and choreographers - e.g. Roland Petit

- balancing innovation in the repertoire (which inspires the dancers) with the necessary Box Office favourites

- programming mixed bills with great skill (an aspect which many Directors get wrong)

- developing the ENB brand and support in the regions even though progress in this respect is hard won

- engendering critical acclaim/media support

It is against such criteria that we believe the performance of an Artistic Director should be judged. The flower throw at last night's performance spoke volumes in terms of people's acknowledgement of the achievements of the Company under Wayne's leadership.

BalletcoForum readers who may not yet have a ticket for Ballet Russes Programme 2 - please get yourselves down to the Coliseum: you will not be disappointed.

Linda and Michael Gainsbury

Thanks so much for your kind words. See you at Saturday matinee?

Incidentally, I have sent letters of tribute about Wayne to Dancing Times and Dance Europe and both have agreed to publish in full. Dancing Times should be online tomorrow and I was asked by the Editor if I am happy to have my name published which of course I am...

The letter to the Dancing Times is available online; here's the link: http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/dance-today-news/item/859

• Like 1

It isn't just Dancing Times that is featuring the Wayne Eagling story. Check out the editorial in the current issue of Dance Europe. They seem very interested in the selection process for Eagling's successor too; apparently the brief window of time given to apply is highly unusual.

Ridiculously unusual, I'd have said. When you think about all the fuss that's been made in the past about the Royal Opera House's selection processes for directors, executives etc., I'm surprised this meets standards.

Capybara, you have beaten me to it as I just received an e-mail alerting me to the petition and have already signed it.

By the way any one signing does so anonymously because although you have to give your name and email to sign it, your name is not published on the site, just added to the total number. That means that any dancers and staff within ENB that also support Wayne Eagling and want him reinstated can do so without worrying about repercussions.

Both letters were written too late for the deadline for the April issue of "Dancing Times," now out. However, there is a short news item on the resignation and the editor, Jonathan Gray, makes his own position fairly clear in an Editorial: "unwelcome news," "indecently short deadline," "question the direction and suitability of ENB's Board." I dare say that both letters, discussion here, and now the epetition, plus whatever else may transpire in the next two weeks or so, will provide sufficient material for a longer article in the May edition.

• 2 weeks later...

This post is to celebrate the critical acclaim heaped this week on ENB's Beyond Ballet Russes Programme 2. Two reviews which we have just read in the Sunday papers serve to highlight the achievements of the Company under Wayne Eagling's: the very interesting repertoire, the skilled composition of mixed bills, the introduction of new choreography, the nurturing of young talent, the excellence of established stars and the overall high standard of performance. Yet the services of this Artistic Director are being dispensed with.

It is still not too late to sign the petition calling for Wayne's reinstatement at: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32127

I go to see ENB more often than RB....the fact the company tours and is accessible to the suburbs really helps but I love what has been done over the last few years under Wayne Eagling's directorship. At the end of the day there is a need for 'bums on seats' and Eagling's 'Nutcracker' will assure just that for quite a few seasons to come. I loved 'Strictly Gershwin'...it showed real versatility and, I believe, might tempt more people to come to see more traditional repertoire in the future. I did go to see Ballets russes (programme 2) but don't feel able to comment on it as I don't feel in any shape or form expert enough to pass comment....except to say I loved it and was entranced by how precise the corps de ballet was. It was beautiful.

I think it is a pity WE is leaving but I don't know the ins and outs of why he is going. To me as an outsider, he seems to have done a great job in introducing new productions, giving dancers the chance to dance in promoted roles, getting the profile of ENB raised in the public eye. The company is really getting out there...at music festivals, dancing with flawless. I think it is a move in the right direction. Add to this ....he is a very personable chap. Over Christmas he made time to pass a moment or two with me and my eldest daughter as we were awaiting our offspring to come out of the theatre. It changes the face of ballet from stuffy and elitist to open and welcoming. I for one am sorry he is going.

• Like 3

I did go to see Ballets russes (programme 2) but don't feel able to comment on it as I don't feel in any shape or form expert enough to pass comment....except to say I loved it and was entranced by how precise the corps de ballet was. It was beautiful.

Sounds like you enjoyed it, and saying so is fair enough! :-)

• Like 2

Aileen: Two days on and at least one Tweeter known here also appears to know who the next AD will be. Clearly, it's all under a Press embargo until some future day and time. I can wait - "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof," as my Classics teacher was wont to say, many years ago.