Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 01:11, mph said:

it;s the closest  recreational dancers  like me will get ot the 'feel' of vocational   training or  company life   ...  ( a  number of us have said  the ideal amped up  version of the ballet retreat would be a full week , ideally with everyone staying in acommodation  and  finishing with some kind of performance  , even if it was just for friends and  rellies )

I agree mph, there are such intensive course available but I guess mostly in London. This was the type of thing LAB used to do, ending with a performance with an audience made up of friends and family, I remember once inviting some people I met at the travel lodge I was staying at, to a LAB Intensive performance at the Royal Ballet School in Covent Garden.

Another nice aspect of those intensives, the first evening we would go down to a local designated pub and have general get to know each other drink, nothing informal. Part way through the week there would be a group evening out to a theatre, mostly it was showing the very ballet that we were to perform at the end of the week, that was really inspiring. Most used to attend that but it was optional and not part of the course, although LAB did supply the tickets for those that booked to go.

I had a brilliant day on Sunday, doing the Alive Ballet Company’s Ballet Boot-Camp with Desiree Ballantyne at Sadlers Wells, there were only 10 of us present although I think 12 booked to go. It turn out that Desiree and I had already met, but I didn’t recognise her name, I had a  photo of us both when she ran an ENB’s Swan Lake Master class  a year or so ago.

The morning was Ballet Class and pointe-work for those on pointe, the rest of us did the same exercises as strengthening. However we did make a start on the first rep of the day “Lilac Fairy variation “from Sleeping Beauty. I was pleased as it was based on the Russian version, However it was adapted in places, firstly the indulgent port de bras at the beginning was removed as that was done before the music commenced. The beginning was also simplified to a tombe before the first developpe on count 1, but never the less it was still a lovely piece to dance. We only did the first diagonal crossing of 16 counts before lunch, however as the music carried on I started to dance the return crossing, however the pirouette was a problem. Then it was Lunch break.

During the lunch break I tried to master the pirouettes which for me were very inconsistent. The pirouette was launched from the back leg of an arabesque; as that was going to become the pivoting leg of an en dedens pirouette, this required the body to turn towards the pivoting leg and do one and a half turns then pointing the gesturing leg forward (tendue ) on landing, that is in the direction from where you started on this diagonal.

One of the things I noticed from both professionals and students on You-Tube, on most the gesturing leg was not in a normal retire position during the turn. It was behind the pivoting and crossing it at right angles, that did appear to help a little with balance but not enough to complete the one and a half turns properly.

I was interested to see how our teacher was going to teach this piece, but it was simplified to only a half turn, but never the less with the arms up to fifth looked quite elegant and plausible.

This morning I had a session with my rep coach, I had warned her we would be dancing the Lilac Fairy variation. We spent most of the time re-plotting the stage travel and it was different in places to what I had been taught. The pirouettes really didn’t get sorted out, however on to me next studio which I later found shouldn’t have been open, was with someone on reception, so I was able to do my regular 2 hour practice session. I went back to the phrase with the problematic pirouettes in it, It wasn’t many minutes after experiment with various position of arm and legs then suddenly I seem to hit the magic spot, it first I didn’t know why. Then I discovered what I needed to do.

As I turned from arabesque, the back foot lowers, the key was to get on top of the pivoting foot and use the arms for rotation momentum, with very little from the gesturing leg. By placing the gesturing leg in that strange position it did tend to make the turn slightly faster with less resistance and more inclined to stay on balance.  All are successful turns now however occasionally the pointed foot (tendue ) to finish come out slightly prematurely at second.

The afternoon of the Ballet Boot-Camp we had “Body Conditioning” with lots of little tips, we then the Finished Lilac Fairy variation and then went on to the Kingdom of the Shades from La Bayadere. The entrance of this one was cut short with only 14 sets of arabesque to get everyone on stage in a snake like formation. In the second part it required a developpe of the right leg and then sustained for a short period. When I had practiced this at home, I thought it was my left and strongest leg. Just after lunch before we got started I see Desiree marking though this section, I thought Oh poo this isn’t going to look very good from my right leg.

During our tuition of this piece Desiree gave us various tips and how to improve that extension, it worked it really worked. I was well over 90 degrees and I could hold it, I couldn’t believe it for that leg.

The only part of Sunday I mess up was going home, I managed to get on the wrong train, it was bound for Leeds, most Leeds trains stop at Peterborough. With only 3 minutes to departure I really legged it to the very first carriage on the Leeds train, no chance to check the destination board at Kings Cross. The train was pulling out of Kings Cross station, while I was making my way through the first class carriages of the train when the destinations were announced, no Peterborough, it sounded like the first destination was Grantham, oh poo, can I get back Sunday night, will I have to go all the way to Leeds, all sorts ran through my mind. Then I see the ticket Inspector, expecting to have to pay full fair to get back, he was a really nice man, a really really nice man, when he said I could get off at Stevenage( I didn't hear that bit on the announcement). At least I knew there was a regular service from there, in reality I was only a couple of hours late. 

I'm really exited about tomorrow, we start new set of rehearsals for our next Christmas show, various pieces from Act 1 of Giselle, fantastic, can’t wait.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ballet is really in the doldrums following an injury where I was incredibly stupid. Just over a week ago now, not sure if it was a Saturday or Sunday, I jumped off the wall that forms the foundation of my studio extension, I had done this before but then there was scaffolding to hang on to. I remember this time when I landed with nothing to hang on too, “How stupid I was and could have injured myself”.

It wasn’t until Monday night, I went out with Adrian, and his brother as it was their birthdays, his son and his daughter in law was also there. We were sat in the pub with a large round table, my left leg had plenty of room but my right leg was somewhat cramped by the woodwork under the table. The right foot started to stiffen and feel really uncomfortable. Once we left and I started walking on it, it felt much better.

Tuesday was my train journey to London for rehearsal, however by the time I got to Kings Cross my leg was starting to stiffen again. Fortunately before rehearsal I had some studios to check out in North London for our sister company. As there was  a good deal of walking involved it seemed quite beneficial to my stiff and aching leg.

Before our company class and rehearsal I told my teacher of the problems I was having, but in reality it didn’t effect the barre or rehearsal sessions. However the train journey was extremely unpleasant, the leg was stiff and aching to the point it was becoming painful and no movement of the affected foot would provide any rest bite. Even the fairly static position of the right foot driving my car home was also aggravating it.  

Wednesday, things were no better, it almost felt that thing were getting worse until night time came. The ach was intense and constant, no way could I sleep, until 5am came and I got up. Clearly things could not carry on, so it was a broad sweep of cancelling everything up to and including Elmhurst on Sunday. Fortunately I was able to find a Physio due to a cancellation that day, After lots of stretch , pulling pushing , twisting etc, he certainly knew how to find the tender spots, he concluded nothing was torn or broken just badly swollen, but did advise me it may take 2 to 3 weeks to clear up. I was also to ice that leg when I got home.

Home in this instance was Adrians to collect him, however I did pick up a bag of ice from the supermarket on the way. After 2 sessions of icing my leg, I fell asleep on Adrian’s sofa. I woke up and couldn’t believe it, the pain had totally gone. His sofa is in two sections forming a right angle, I put my poorly foot under the extended piece to lift myself, the pain hit me with a bit of a wallop, it was back.

The pain would diminish a bit when subjected to hot and cold, but resting it in a stationary position would make it ache.

I thought by Sunday afternoon there would be a chance I would be back to classes on Monday, however on Sunday I stepped out in a sort of lung to pick something up, the pain shot all the way though my right leg including the inside of my upper thigh, which did get accidentally stretched at Ballet West earlier this year. I seam to be back at square one. The classes for Monday all cancelled, it looks like the rest of the week may follow, another appointment with the Physio made for Thursday. I just hope its healed enough for my new 12 week course which is split between RBS and Sadler’s Wells. I’m keeping my fingers well and truly crossed.

That's no fun. It's always the stupid stuff that gets you, isn't it? I can ride horses and do karate with no more damage than a few broken/displaced ribs from people kicking me or Unplanned Emergency Dismounts (I have loads of ribs, I can spare a few) but I chronically damaged my ankle walking across a yard. 

Are you quite sure nothing is broken? 

• 2 weeks later...

About 3 weeks has passed and I’m still not back to ballet. As for the question “Are you quite sure nothing is broken?”, I really did think it was, so much so, I got Adrian to take me to our local Hospital “Minor Injuries Unit, but that wasn’t exactly a confidence inspiring experience. We waited for two hours, all this time I was in agony, I never thought it would end.

When my name was called I was expecting to go for an X-ray then down to plaster, oh no, it was a quick feel with the nurses hands on my thigh, knee and calf and totd it was most possibly a muscle sprain and keep taking the pain killers, I ask about an X-ray and was told they would wouldn’t authorise an X-ray for me.

I went home very dejected and thought I had at least got the Physio tomorrow. During the Physio’s examination everything seamed extremely painful, my Physio said the lower part of my right leg was highly enflamed, it was also feeling quite numb to, my Physio also told me if it hadn’t cleared up significantly by the next time he sees me, he would send me for a scan. Needless to say it did continue to worsen with virtually no sleep. Saturday morning came, I couldn’t stand it any more, even Adrian was getting quite concerned as my detearating state,  he decided to take me into A & E at Boston.

Although it was nearly a two hour wait again, it was no messing and strait into X-ray (about 6 of them through different angles) and it hurt like hell, but it was confirmed there was no break, however they did change my pain Killers from Paracetamol to ParaCodol, at least I was able to sleep at night and possibly allowed me to turned the corner to recovery.

Although I have lost a lot of rehearsal time, at least I have been able to have a clear head to plan and order everyone’s costume for our Christmas show, I hope I can perform in it too, but it feels like early days yet, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Just read this. Hope it's ok to quote a paragraph from the article:

"I want to look neat, I want my leotard to be clean and ironed and I will admit to buying more skirts than I actually need, but otherwise, what I look like is a secondary concern. It’s the time of the week when my body gets the least mental abuse, to be honest."

1. Who irons their leotards?!

2. I definitely have more skirts than I need.

3. I suppose she meant least "mental abuse" from life, as I do really have to leave real life behind, have a complete change of mindset, and concentrate on me, myself and I, for the duration of the class. In some cases when I get a brain teaser from my teacher (and then asked to reverse it), the brain doesn't work any less hard than some of my most difficult problems at work...!

• Like 3

I agree with her that ballet fills your head so completely that you can’t worry about anything else other than your class. It has always been a complete mental relaxation for me because of that - the mental gymnastics of trying to do class as well as possible leave absolutely no room for anything else! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ssssshhhhh, but I’m going back to ballet tonight after a period of 23 years!!! 😮 I am so unprepared, have no leotard or shoes yet, but it sounds fun!

I danced ballet then contemporary to a high standard in the 90’s.

I think I can still demi plie, but the years haven’t been forgiving on my shape! Twins and various medications have left their wobbly wobbly bits.

I believe there are only 6 in the class, hope they are kind.

Please send good vibes! S xx

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Ssssshhhhh, but I’m going back to ballet tonight after a period of 23 years!!! 😮 I am so unprepared, have no leotard or shoes yet, but it sounds fun!

I think I can still demi plie, but the years haven’t been forgiving on my shape! Twins and various medications have left their wobbly wobbly bits.

Chookas my dear. Hopefully the muscle memory will kick in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Enjoy: the important thing is turning up. Leotards and shoes can wait. Just be careful to take it slow when muscle memory does kick in - and it will - so that you allow your body time to strengthen enough to support what your muscles remember being able to do. 

• Like 2

Yes take it easy initially....in fact it's about seven or eight months along you have to be careful!!

As it all comes back and you get a bit stronger it's very tempting to start doing too many classes OR as I did taking on full day workshops before I was truely fit enough to cope with them!! The enthusiasm can take over!! But I ended up with an Achilles stress injury and so had to virtually stop again for nearly six months......and you don't want this!! Take it easy build up slowly and you'll have another 20 years of dancing ahead ...hopefully!!

• Like 1

Well Colman if you are like me and took it all up again when 62 then 20 could be about right!! Hitting the big 70 in a month and with a bit of luck will actually be dancing on my 70th birthday as its in a Thursday!! 

Mind you not sure if have progressed much more than about 35 in the wisdom stakes....should be a wise old woman by now ha ha!!

• Like 5

I made my come back a year ago after 24 years. After my first class I ached for a full week! I found that I remembered everything that I once knew - the difficulty was actually doing it. After a couple of weeks I was generally OK and felt confident in doing things that I hadn't done for many years - I mean, jumping and pirouetting hadn't exactly featured in my life for many a year.  My first class was an easy going general adult class with a  friendly. encouraging atmosphere and dancers with a wide range of ability/experience. I still go to that class and love it but also take RAD syllabus classes now. I am careful to avoid risks that might cause  injury and try to be very aware of my body and its current capabilities. Regaining flexibility and stamina is still an ongoing process and I don't quite know where my turnout has disappeared to. Balance isn't what it was either. On the other hand, past experience does have a big effect on style and having nice arms and head is more attainable than high extensions.

Good luck with your class. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time and be dancing in your dreams tonight.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Good idea!  I took it up again after a gap of 40 years. I did a few classes when I was an undergraduate and then nothing until I was 63.  I have been doing it for the last 5 years. Can't say I was ever any good at it then or now but it has been a lot of fun, I've met a lot of nice people of all ages and backgrounds and it helps me to keep working.I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 3

It was brilliant! There were only 5 of us, but they were all my sort of age and mostly danced as teenagers like I did. 

The teacher was lovely, and very good at adapting things for our old bones!

Week off next week, but the week after, I’ll be first on the list! xxx

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

It was brilliant! There were only 5 of us, but they were all my sort of age and mostly danced as teenagers like I did. 

The teacher was lovely, and very good at adapting things for our old bones!

Week off next week, but the week after, I’ll be first on the list! xxx

Excellent good to hear.

I'm down in that There London for a business type meeting today. So caught up with the Very lovely David Kierce at his beginners  class at Central last night. Currently on the train from where i'm staying back into the Centre as i managed to get a Ticker for the MacMillan triple header at the ROH tonight.

• Like 1

Southern rail has been notorious for the last year now Nicola.

Theres another two day walk out coming up on the 8th and 9th of November. I usually use the Thameslink service which luckily goes to Brighton when Southern are playing up but it can make the difference of £16 in what I pay for fares if you can't get advanced tickets etc

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Southern rail has been notorious for the last year now Nicola.

Theres another two day walk out coming up on the 8th and 9th of November. I usually use the Thameslink service which luckily goes to Brighton when Southern are playing up but it can make the difference of £16 in what I pay for fares if you can't get advanced tickets etc

I was staying in Croydon   and this wasn't  industrial strife related , just simply being  checked by signals  and missing the  timetabled  arrival time  into Victora and consequent knock ons to the tube  to Covent Garden .  

if  one of the people involved in my regulatory thingy that was 'actual purpose of vist' to that there Lodon hadn;t prevericated for so long  could have had  lesire  jopurney  back from central london and back in ... 

...  I've used  Thameslink to Croydon before ,  as if one arrives  into Kx/ StP  or Euston the easiest way  to 'sarf of da river'  is to jump on a Thameslink  from StP  'low level'  

If anyone is interested Rambert company (Southbank) are offering a 'Rambert for 60+ years' on 6th November that includes a dance workshop. I was cheered to discover that there are still dance  classes for which I am not yet old enough.

Seven weeks and counting and no end in sight with the recovery of this injury.

At around week 5 I think my first Physio ran out of ideas, he described all the things he had checked for and basically were ok, in the end the only option was to write a letter to my GP and recommended further investigation via scan. I thought whoopee now we should get somewhere. Unfortunately my own GP had retired some six months previously, So I had to take pot luck with one from the practice.

More or less as predicted, he was strait for the prescription pad, I queried investigation via scan, then he asked if I had any problems with my back, I said no my Physio had already check that out, he said a scan wouldn’t be appropriate and proceeded to write a prescription for Amitriptyline, he said the pills would help with my sleep.

I tried then for the rest of that week and they did nothing to help with sleep, however I felt lethargic and bilious during the day so I stopped them.

This week I went back to a Physio I used some years ago that specialised in dance, I did initially try her but I got the phone number wrong, it was her fax number.

At the moment nothing tangible has come out of the session, however more time was carried out doing test and checks that my previous male Physio which was more heavily based on deep massage.

She asked me what medication I was on, so I said alternating Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, so she mentioned  Amitriptyline, so I told her I had stopped them and why, she then explained what they were for and the fact they need 4 to 5 weeks to work, so for the time being I have restarted them.

During the test and exercises there was a bit of a funny side too, I was asked to do a plie, I assumed a demi from first, wrong !, I wasn’t supposed to be stood up strait with virtually no gap between the legs and in a presentable turn out. First I had to widen my legs but not as far as second, then reduce the turnout, the plie became almost a squat, very un-balletic and quite an alien feeling. Another one was to check my range of leg/hip movement, for that I was laid with my back on this couch and my physio was supposed to guide my legs round while I sort of relaxed, however I couldn’t help drawing beautiful arcs with pointed but firm feet, it was extremely difficult for me to let go that control and relax, but never the less it did bring a little bit of a smile.

One of the test we spent some time on is “the Slump test” which I am also to use as therapy at home with 5 repetitions 3 times a day.

Strangely while we were going through various tests and exercises and my Physio was pressing a squeezing to identify the sensitive areas, the pain felt less intense, it was almost embarrassing, as if I was a fraud, it bothered me a bit. Feeling a lot better I turned the conversation round to when could I get back to dancing as my next performance is only a month away and there is still a lot of rehearsals to attend, she wouldn’t be draw in to a yes.

I left feeling a lot better but not really knowing why, but it was short lived, about three or four miles down the road and got a familiar feeling that I have had several times before, a feeling of fluid running down my leg under the skin, then the verosity of the pain returned around the ankle and shin,  it was awful and has not diminished in the last 3 days. I was so struck with the difference in pain and its possible causes, I’ve emailed my physio with the observation, in the hope there may be a clue present.

Unless I can find some of that magic dust my physio used last time I think its very unlikely that I will be performing in our Christmas show this year. I just hope my legs hold out as I will be taking the remaining Giselle costumes in for our dancers next week. Last week Adrian helped me take the bulk of the costumes in, even though I didn’t stay to dance and we go away early, the train and car journey home was extremely painful and unpleasant with running fluid effect, at least we did break up the journey at Adrian by icing it for a while to calm it down.

I just wish I could see an end to it, in some ways I wish I had broken my leg, as there would be a finite time for it to mend.

It's very disappointing that the doctor in your practice didn't leg you have a scan.....such a pity your other doctor had retired as doctors who know you well are more likely to be on your side ....and would know you wouldn't be round the doctors surgery for this problem without VERY good cause.

The new drug ( in low doses) is really to deal with the pain and often used in treatment for arthritis pain. You do have to be careful driving if using it. It takes a while to work and would be good if helps the muscles relax a bit but I would only give it so long if things don't improve especially if a source for your problem doesn't come to light. I can't help feeling it's some kind of nerve damage Michelle which is why a scan would be helpful.

I would go back to the doctor after a month ....if no improvement ....and insist on having a scan. Would your partner go with you to the  doctor? sometimes it can help having someone you know with you so you don't let the doctor talk you out of your best interests!! 

Hi Linda

The strange thing over that new drug, my doctor suggested if there was no improvement in the first week to double the daily dose, when I told my Physio about the side effects she suggested I half the dose, but the fact that it is supposed to take 4 to 5 weeks before it becomes effective for me is unacceptable, I really cant stand 11-12 weeks of agony which is what it will be.

I honestly think seeing my GP was a mistake and I will most definitely not be going back to him.

It appears I can get an MRI scan via a self referral, but its expensive, I will stick with my present Physio for up to a month and sound her out about helping me with the referral especially the specific area to be targeted and the number of scans required to properly identify the issue.

As things are I am definitely not getting any better, There just doesn’t seem to be any end to the agonising pain or sleepless night. At one time I would really get energised with ballet music, I’m afraid that doesn’t happen any more or at least not for the time being.

I know I have to go in to rehearsal this Tuesday to take the last remaining costumes in, If I thought I could get though the rehearsal unscathed I would do it, as its my last opportunity to be part of the show, but I’m sure even the journey to London and back will take its toll like the last one.