YBSS 2013

DancingDays

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How frustrating for her!   But you know I've had students who have come to classes and danced with their arm in plaster!   What's important when the arm or leg is in plaster is to keep the muscle tone as high as possible.  If she can clench and unclench her hand a few times every now and then, that will keep the arm in better form.  I broke my ankle some years ago and I worked like mad with my foot to keep the calf muscle as active as possible.  The surgeon was very surprised when he took off the plaster - I think he was expecting a little shrivelled up leg, but my exercising definitely paid off  :D

• Like 1

I can identify with the above to some extent....I got quite good getting around on my plastered leg without the crutches in last three weeks (six in all) including attending a course in London that I initially thought I might have to cancel because of the large number of stairs there. However I was dismayed when the plaster finally came off at how weak my foot was and had to go back to the crutches again!

Mind you I still felt a bit of a fraud when sent for rehabilitation exercises as there was a young man there recovering from a serious road accident trying to walk again using the room on same day and there was me messing around trying to balance on this wobbly ball thing!

Hope your DD is back to normal soon....young people do usually recover very quickly!!

They are hoping to go for early mobilisation and her school is primed with a dance psychologist on hand to help deal with emotions at missing dance classes and of course there will be support from the physio. She is hoping to get back to barre this week but, two weeks on from the op, still tires very easily so we will have to see :( thanks for all the support folks :)