YBSS 2013

DancingDays

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In previous years there have been groups A, B & C.

Group A are usually those aged 15/16 plus, Group B 12/13 - 16 'ish and Group C the younger group. Group B might be split into 2 as it can be quite large.

I'll be there on the second Friday. Hope to meet some of you then. 

My friends Dd is on the advanced group doing the contemporary class .....as another similar group were doing something else but not contemporary Ill ask later if she is in a group B or A etc.

Yesterday she was looking at one of the boys and thinking she had seen him before somewhere and then remembered he was the boy on the RAD intermediate ballet DVD she has!!

This eve we are going to watch a Masterclass given by Anthony Dowell but don't know which student dancers will be in this class.

My friends Dd is on the advanced group doing the contemporary class .....as another similar group were doing something else but not contemporary Ill ask later if she is in a group B or A etc.

Yesterday she was looking at one of the boys and thinking she had seen him before somewhere and then remembered he was the boy on the RAD intermediate ballet DVD she has!!

This eve we are going to watch a Masterclass given by Anthony Dowell but don't know which student dancers will be in this class.

Nearly always a select few from RBS!

• Like 1

I'm watching this thread with interest and a bit wistfully - DD went to YBS for 4 or 5 years running but can't go now due to other commitments. She loved every minute of the time she had there and I also loved watching classes - including of course the evening masterclasses.

• Like 2

Sorry to correct you hfbrew, but I thought all the dancers on the RAD DVD were from Elmhurst - of course they may have changed schools since.

The new RAD DVDs do feature dancers from Elmhurst - but I *think* hfbrew was answering the question about which students Anthony Dowell would use for his masterclass - i.e. a select few from RBS. :-)

• Like 3

can I just say that the masterclasses I've seen didn't all consist of RBS students. The first year we were there we saw Lauretta S. in 2 or 3 masterclasses and she didn't go to RBS. It may well have been different recently though - we haven't been for a few years! 

You beat me to it spanner, I certainly was referring to masterclass!

I know the students on the dvd are from Elmhurst.ds knows ome!

They must be students from a selection of schools because several students from  DD's old dance school have also been used (local school)-

sorry - off topic!

This will be DS last year at York as he's gone since Year 9.  :(

RAD DVD - Last year DS had a letter from them asking him to go to an audition for the new RAD DVD's that have now been produced. He wasn't keen to go so didn't take it any further. We thought that RAD had asked him because he had achieved high marks in the Graded exams he'd done. They had got in touch with him through his old ballet teacher who passed the letter on to us.

• Like 1

My friends DD is in the Advanced group 2 on this years course.

Just got back from the Masterclass and it was very good.....Anthony Dowell pretty sprightly still.

I am pretty sure not all the students in the demo were from the Royal though a couple were recognised from the Linbury performances.

There was a very tall boy there who was very good and he wasn't at the Royal though can find out more by tomorrow.

The boys (it was all boys in the demo) worked really hard on a piece from Romeo and Juliet (Romeos dance while Juliet is playing the lute) They performed in twos and Dowell stopped them when he thought necessary and gave his advice and had a lovely easy manner with them. One boy had to dance round the chair(which was Juliet) holding eye contact with Dowell to make him more aware of this which must have been a bit nerve wracking for him!! While the two were in focus the others were still practising and listening to the advice being given out so worked non stop!

At the end they each performed the whole piece one by one. All the students on the course were watching too and including Marguerite Porter......looking incredibly young still!!?

The whole thing was very enjoyable. Anthony got a little prezzie at the end given to him by one of the younger students. But I thought the pianist deserved a little reward too as he had to keep picking up in different places in the right place and so on so he worked pretty hard too!! Look forward to Friday now to see friends DD dance.

Yes both Anthony Dowell and Marguerite Porter are pretty wonderful aren't they?

It was all boys the year I watched, again mostly Royal but one also at least one young man from ENB that year. It was certainly enjoyable to watch.

• Like 2

It's Donald Macleary doing master class next week.

The demo last night had at least three schools represented though more from RBS. Sorry got it wrong about the tall boy he is with RBS and was the only one in the group to have worked with Anthony Dowell before. If anyone wanted the names of the eight chosen boys I can get them from the notice board but would have to PM me as can't reveal on the public forum of course.

We will be watching some class and mini performance tomorrow. The week has gone very quickly. Everyone looks calm and very happy.

• Like 1

Hi LinMM - glad to hear everyone is having a good time :)

Could you let me know what time the mini performance is tomorrow?

DD is staying for two weeks but will have to leave early as sadly we have a family funeral to attend. Was wondering whether  I would be able to come and watch this Friday instead  as it is not too far from us on the train.  

I emailed about the performance at the end and was told that the demonstration would be at 3.30/45 on the Friday and is free to family members.I have no other information and it is my DDs first time at YBSS.

I'm sure it would be fine to watch tomorrow. It's not as if you have to say in advance that you're coming.

• Like 1

Yes the demonstration of work is at 3.30- 4-4.30 ish I think and may not be very long but is free. You can pay to see a DD in a lesson if you want as well....I think it's about £5 for parents. I think you see all the groups in the demo at the end so not just the one your DD may be in.

Just to add no wonder we thought the tall boy in the Masterclass was showing a lot of promise.....just discovered he won Young Dancer of the Year 2012! And he has won other awards to!!

But all the boys in the Masterclass had something going for them in different ways and it was fascinating seeing what Anthony Dowell picked up on for the different students. There also seemed to be a variety of ages probably(guessing) 14-17 is what I'd say so obviously some still have quite a bit of time to develop their talents.

I will be there wearing a navy blue blouse short sleeve top thing and sort of dirty pinky Mauvy trousers.....chinos is the proper name. I hasten to add dirty as in muted as opposed to clean that is unless I manage to fall over in York tomorrow.

I have some funeral business in York tomorrow as I need to get to the Cathedral to light a candle for my friend Judith who I went to visit in Nantes in France at the end of May. Well unfortunately she died suddenly on Monday and the funeral in France is tomorrow which I cannot be at.

So it's been strange this past few days enjoying the wonderful ballet summer school going on here in York but feeling pretty devastated about my friend. Ive worked some of these feelings off by writing about some of my times with her (we've known each other since we were 11) and this will be read out tomorrow at the service which helps a bit with me not being able to be there.

So I will see all the young people dancing tomorrow as a double celebration of life.

Most of the students seem to be making friends fairly quickly probably easier if boarding too. There are enough students on the courses for everyone to find at least a couple of friends I think. I'm sure she will have a great time !

• Like 1