YBSS 2013

DancingDays

Can't tell you about any night time shenanigans as friends DD didn't board.

I suppose depends on the timing of these visits if early evening could have just been for friendly chats obviously if at 2 or 3 in the morning might be more suspicious but weren't the girls sharing rooms? I'm sure nothing untoward happened but obviously if did security needs to be investigated at night with dire warnings about being thrown out immediately for any misdemeanours!

My guess is it was all just teenagers chatting into the night!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ybss is moving next year and I imagine it will change and hopefully improve the boarding situation. I know the older teens had some late nights but nothing bad came of it. I do think they need to add better evening activities for all ages though.

What age is your dancer Karen?

My dd is 12 and just going into yr 8 at voc school, audsjcanuck. I think she would be happy to do her own thing in the evening if she has friends to chill with so don't mind lack of organised activities. She will be frustrated, however, if the classes are not challenging, hence my question about how it is decided where each dancer is placed. Where is the venue going to be next year, please?

Thank you all for the replies and information - sorry if my responses are stilted- we are driving back from Turkey and wifi is limited.

They are moving to York university which is abit farther from downtown core. According To website, over 100 students were turned away this year as popularity increases. As you aren't confirmed a place until May, it would be difficult for them to give you placement info until after that time. Hopefully others can give you a better idea about age/level.

It is decided where they are placed by the level they have reached in the syllabus(RAD or equivalent) the last exam results and the photos sent...with some attention to age they were. Apparently Marguerite Porter also looked at how many classes they had been doing each week( as obviously some had been doing classes nearly every day and others only 2-3 times per week).However my friend said that nevertheless it was difficult to place some of the students on the initial criteria which was why some were looked at on the first day and then their group may have been changed after this.....which her DD's was. I think that then once the group had been decided they didn't change during that week but maybe if some stayed for the two weeks they might have been moved up a group then for the following week. Hope that helps.

Karen I think you will find the classes are challenging! My year 8 DD was in A2, just 13 and at vocational school. She was one of the youngest is this class and though used to daily classes at Elmhurst found it very challenging. They really push the children, the teaching is excellent. I watched their general ballet class on the last day and it was tough, but insipring and encouraging. I don't see that the B class would be any different. Got to watch a small amount of their rep and pointe class too, same here. So Karen if your child is lucky enough to get a place next year dont be concerned about your DD not being challenged it won't happen! A lot of the children are from vocational schools so being challenged is what it's all about....

We are hoping for a place next year...fingers crossed.

NL

• Like 1

My dd (also year 8) was moved to A2 for the second week as it was felt that B group was not challenging her enough.  She was one of the youngest and also one of only a very few that were non-vocational.  I think she was a little over-whelmed on the first day in A2, but by the time I watched her in the morning class on the last day, she was certainly holding her own. I think it's hugely inspiring to be dancing with children who are more able than them.  My older dd went in the middle of the week and watched her sister in a pointe class, where she felt that the length of the class was the biggest challenge as she normally only does 30 minutes max.

It seemed to me that there were more vocational students than non vocational ones but not sure of the exact percentages!!

My friends DD does four ballet classes a week but is not a vocational student and this is why it was felt initially that she should be in the B group as the number of classes per week seemed to be playing an important role but in the end she was put into A2 group and I think this was the right decision for her for her age and general strength......though even within this group there was quite a range of ability and there were a lot of girls who seemed more developed in style and dance quality.

The standard generally was very high.

I'm not sure what percentage of students were vocational or non vocational, I don't think it matters, If your DC gets a place they will have a fabulous learning opportinity. With their application you do have to send the last report form from their most recent exam, so presumably along with age and experience this is taken into account when deciding on which group they are allocated to, or maybe its just to make sure the children have passed the exam the parents say they have on the form ;)

NL

• Like 1

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/ybs/collection?album_id=2000586496

YBSS photographs.

Has anyone been successful in actually ordering any pictures from this site???

Two weeks ago, before we went away, I looked at the pictures and got the order numbers I required but today I went on to the site to order them and found that the order numbers have changed so I have just spent about 1 hour trawling through the slide show twice, found the pictures I want to order but then am now going round and round in circles trying to order them from the slide show thorough 'photobox' which is where you get directed to.

Can't seem to find the order link on the slide show pictures even though it says at the begining of the slide show that you can order pictures from the slide show. I have had to register with 'photobox' to have an account to be able to order but still don't seem to be able to order anything.

Going through the 'thumnail' pictures I can't get further than page 5 as it then takes me somewhere totally different and not YBSS pictures.

I only want to order 3 pictures and it's been so frustrating.

Might have to ring them up next week and see if I can order them by speaking to a human being.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been successful with ordering a picture would be most helpful. :)

I just watched a slide show of the photos - they are exquisite.  The photographer really knew how to capture the essence of ballet.  What is most impressive is that there are almost no photos that show the students to a disadvantage - every dancer is perfectly placed, with pointed feet, lovely lines, elegant ports de bras - you can really see the high level of technique that was there.  Not to mention that they all look soooo beautiful!   Amazing!

Please can anyone advise the likely dates for next year's summer school (if there is a pattern from previous years) I am trying to plan holidays and other family members' commitments and it would be very helpful to have an idea. Thanks.