YBSS 2013

DancingDays

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, we lost DD's much loved Granddad just before YBSS so I feel very proud of the way she's coping. It was lovely to get a glimpse of her dancing today, but a bit tough leaving her there! Still she is obviously having a great time and always feels that her pointe work improves so much during this summer school. The staff have been very understanding about her leaving on Thursday and I thought the atmosphere today so was so positive and caring - very impressed with all involved!

kiwimum - so sorry that you didn't get to see the mini show, all the boys were fantastic and had obviously been really inspired by the teaching. 

LinMM - thinking of you, I hope you time in the cathedral was peaceful.     

To anybody coming for the first time I'm sure your DC's will have a good time. I remember fretting on the way back home last year as we had left DD in a room by herself with a key to look after, nobody she really knew and an  unknown campus to navigate, she loved it! The resilience of our dancing kids never ceases to amaze me :)         

• Like 6

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back to Brighton and would like to thank everyone for their kind responses too.

Lisadebs the staff at the cathedral were lovely and let me through to find a place to just sit and have a few moments before I lit the candles and this was very much appreciated.

I had a lovely time today as I watched the A2 ballet class in the morning....some very good teaching points in this....and then came back for the final demo by all the groups.

This was really well done and most pupils were in two pieces of work giving parents plenty of chance to see their DC's dance.

My friends DD said she enjoyed the week and particularly liked Christopher Tudor's contemporary class even though she is not that experienced in this area. Am not sure if its all the same teachers for next week.

Good luck to all those DC's either staying on or starting next week.

• Like 4

Well my DD is all settled in - we had a relaxed drive up to York in time for a bite to eat before arriving a little after 2.00 pm to register.  DD is sharing a room with another lovely forum member's DD (lovely to meet you Amber21) :)

Apparently the girls had pasta for dinner and have watched a film this evening - I've just had an update via text from her!

So all's good - now I just have to pick her up after morning class tomorrow, get her down to London for A.E. Finals and back up again ready for start of class Monday morning....then I can relax  :mellow:

• Like 4

Thanks Afab and Fiz :)

I'm staying overnight tonight and tomorrow night in a hotel right next to train station in York and we're going to jump on the train to get down to London tomorrow - thought it would be way too stressful to try and drive down xx  

York was crazy busy today - not only were the Races on but there was a football match as well apparently so everywhere was just teaming with people.  Didn't manage to find Betty's tea room either...maybe on Friday I'll come a little earlier before the presentation to try and find it. 

• Like 2

Well my DD is all settled in - we had a relaxed drive up to York in time for a bite to eat before arriving a little after 2.00 pm to register. DD is sharing a room with another lovely forum

member's DD

My DD want to go YBSS next year ( too young this year) but is worried that they sleep in single rooms. How old are your DDs? Is it normal then to get double room?

Phew glad you are training it dtadmin!! Sounded like an awful lot of driving otherwise! Our train back was 2hrs exactly whereas one coming up was 2 and a half hours. There are some trains which are non stop to London/York but I didn't think to ask all this when booking.

The energy these young dancers have!! Amazing.

We didn't find Betty's either. But apparently it's about £3 odd for a cup of tea. Now even if it is served on bone china a little on the expensive side. I suppose if they have yummy cakes though might be worth that extra bit!

By the way pasta seemed to be the staple diet last week!! Whenever we asked friends DD seemed to have eaten pasta. I think there was "nice healthy salad" on offer but pasta seemed to be food of choice! Certainly need a lot of energy to do all that dancing......sounds like your DD better have double helpings with her London dash!!

For those looking for Bettys (coming from York st john uni) head into York along Gillygate & its almost straight line forwards (straight across at far end of Gillygate is slightly to left). You'll walk past theatre royal & McDonald's.

• Like 1

Hi Dtadmin. Lovely to meet you and your lovely DD! I have had lots of texts both have managed their buns! And off to breakfast! Looking forward to the first class of the day!

Good luck and safe journey to London!

Ax

• Like 1

Well my DD is all settled in - we had a relaxed drive up to York in time for a bite to eat before arriving a little after 2.00 pm to register. DD is sharing a room with another lovely forum

member's DD

My DD want to go YBSS next year ( too young this year) but is worried that they sleep in single rooms. How old are your DDs? Is it normal then to get double room?

Hello Happymum our DD's are both 10 in year 5, the rooms are made up for 2, DD text last night and said there were a few rooms with a 3

Ax

apparently it's about £3 odd for a cup of tea. Now even if it is served on bone china a little on the expensive side. I suppose if they have yummy cakes though might be worth that extra bit!

At Bettys you don't get a "cup" of tea - you get a pot of loose leaf tea (and a strainer) and a pot of hot water - giving you at least 3-4 cups.  The cakes are delicious and the amibience is wonderful.

• Like 7

MY dd sharing with a girl she met as a ja in yr 5. my dd moved centres for yr 6 so haven't seen each other for 2 years. Her text last night said she's made lots of very nice friends. We met a few girls that had stayed on for a second week all had had a great time and said it had passed very quick. My dd couldn't wait to start classes today. Pity I can't get Friday off work so dh picking her up :(

Thanks Lottie - that is really helpful to know, will ask DD if there is anything on the board yet. Spotted a nice photo of DD on the board when we were there on Friday and now another one has appeared on DD's FB page. As she normally manages to avoid being in photos I am quite keen to get hold of these! Hope everybody has a very enjoyable week 2 :)

I'm guessing they're tired as well...it's a long time to work at that pace, there are bound to be some down times. DD said she couldn't keep her eyes open when she was watching the Antony Dowel masterclass and could feel herself nodding off. Hope he didn't notice...

• Like 2

We were there yesterday in the madness that was York on a race day, I have never seen so many people all heading to one destination ! (luckily YBSS was the opposite direction). It is dd's first time so she was a little apprehensive but glad to be sharing a room. Unfortunately her room mate hadn't arrived by the time I left so I haven't met her but dd says she is lovely (phew). Just waiting to hear how classes have gone today - although once she is into the swing of it I don't expect to hear anything... unlike the very early text this morning.

Yes that would have been a long day for some of those students with the concentration involved even just watching!!

I went to the website yesterday.....but there is no new info on this years course. I think a lot of the info even down to who is exactly teaching that week is just on the notice boards in the entrance there(bit of a gripe actually with my friend)

I hope she has realised this password code thing then.....which is a good idea really....otherwise she may be assuming they are going to be accessed more generally via the website at a later date. If she hasn't got it (I'll email her today) is there a possibility you could PM me with the code so I can give to her. I'm sure her DD is not that keen to be photographed either (kids are particularly self conscious at that age) but then I'm sure YBSS would not put any detrimental pics on their site!!

I think I misunderstood your post dtadmin.....it's you going down to London ....not you and DD!! I did think it was a bit hectic for DD to register then dash down to London on the first day but then these kids have so much energy it seemed a possibility!! Hope you've got a 2hour train anyway.

I don't know how we missed Betty's then as we seemed to walk past the theatre several times on our comings and goings.

I do get the picture of the nice pot of tea and ambience Janet....it's just that teenage boys may not be that keen to go in such a place and then mum has an expensive "tea" as well as everything else.....however if just us two would probably have been just up,our street for an occasional treat!! Is this Betty's a sort of "chain" in northern UK or is there one in London or south.....can try down here then :)

Hope someone will report back on the Masterclass this week would be interested to know details etc.

And yes you can pay to see a class although I'm not sure how strict this is....if you turned up half way through and found a seat near the door I'm sure you could just watch for free. I myself sat on the floor.....partly to keep a low profile for DD...mum had paid but then didn't dare hardly go in!! Not because DD would have had a tantrum but because she felt especially in this knew situation that she might put her off fully concentrating. I think she said it was £5. It was £5 to see the Masterclass and well worth it.

Thanks petit jete we were posting at more or less same time. I will have a look there.

Forgot to say can anyone there this week give some info on who is teaching there.....is it the same teachers as last week or are there some changes? Thanks

Thanks Amber21 have now accessed the piccies if you go into that bit which says "order your YBSS photos clink on link etc.

Just seen a lovely close up of friends DD and another in the background where she seems to be facing in the other direction!!

Wow 244 photographs. I had just got to no. 75 when our Internet cut out.....first time happened to me but partner says happening more frequently and has happened to him a couple of time before.....could just be can't cope with the number of users these days.

So will have to look at later.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this thread, had a very busy and hectic time. My DD returned on Friday from a fabulous week. She loved everything about the SS, teaching, environment, ecouragement, very friendly atmosphere, much learned and may new friends made. Thanks for posting the web page for the photos' I has assumed it was the same photographer from last year. A couple of gorgeous photo's of my DD, have placed my order in the shopping basket, but DD thinks there may be more to be posted on the website yet. Loved watching on Friday, it was a real treat to see my DD dancing and loved the end of week display, what very talented dancers!Sorry to hear about those with sad news, sending you best wishes

Hope all have a fabulous week, its certainly a very special SS.

NL

• Like 2

Hi Amber21

last Friday the showing was scheduled for 3.45, though I think it was more like 4.00 before it began. Lasted about an hour and was a demonstration of what the three different groups had been learning during the week. Might be a good idea to be there about 3.30ish?

Hope your DC has a lovely week :)

• Like 1