YBSS 2013

DancingDays

Thank you Lisadebs, we will get there for 3,30, DD loving the few classes she has done thanks, little ones are doing ballet and baroque, making some new friends which is what she also loves to do!

Ax

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, you were right first time Linmm - DD was competing today at All England Finals so I picked her up at lunchtime and we caught the 12.58 down to London. DD did great - got a call out with Honours so it was all worth it   :D

We're now back on the train to York and DD will be back for class in the morning  :) Long day for a 10 year old x

• Like 5

Wow that's fantastic commitment from your DD!! And she has done so well too....looks like she will be just beginning a continuous high now for the rest of this week!!

One does forget how much energy kids can have I seem to remember when I was a bit underweight as a child (9 at time) mum took me to doc just to make sure nothing wrong. the doc said well has she got any energy and my mum said oh yes she has got far too much of that!! So the doc said not to worry then!! Just wish I could be a bit under weight now!!

• Like 4

Well...DD had a bit of a wobble this morning when I took her back over to St John's - she actually cried which is something she rarely does.....she said she felt homesick and didn't want me to go :(

I had to leave her with her Housemother who was really lovely but it just tugged at my heartstrings to leave her when she was upset! 

I confess to having a few tears myself in the cab back over to the hotel!

I'm now back home having worried all the way down the M1 back to Rugby but have since had a few text messages from her to say that she'd been into town with a few of the other young girls plus Housemother, got soaking wet in the rain, had lunch, was told by Paul Lewis this morning that "she has good pirouettes", and the last one to say she's about to go for Baroque class now .....................so I'm kind of hoping that she's now over the homesickness :) 

Phew - I think I sprouted a couple more grey hairs this morning!

• Like 1

Well she is only ten still!! Is this the first time she has boarded away from home?

I must say....sorry to keep referring back to this....but when I was a teacher the number of times Ive seen children absolutely desperate and clinging onto mum for dear life....and this can be upsetting a bit even for the teachers.....really crying and then within about 10-15 mins after mum has left they settle perfectly happily into the days routine!! And then mum can't get them out of the classroom at the end of the day.

As children seem to be starting younger these days.....some only four still if there is only a September intake.....Ive always been pretty lenient about this and let mums stay as long as they need to but the wrench still has to come at some point. I always used to feel like ringing up a mum and saying he/she is absolutely fine now as I know they will be worrying all morning or day about it.

Sounds like DD is already starting to relax!

Ahh thanks LinMM....I think I did the right thing in just giving her a quick hug and handing her over and luckily they were silent tears from her - no sobbing so I doubt any of the other girls would have been aware ;)

You're right, she is only 10 and although she has been excited and we did discuss the possibility of her missing home beforehand ....she couldn't really know how she'd feel until she was actually there and I don't think it helped that I picked her up yesterday and interrupted the week.  She's a strong little character though and I'm sure I'll probably end up missing her more than she misses me xx

• Like 1

The first year dd was in residential school (11yo then) I would get the odd homesick call and would talk/cry/sing her to sleep with the cell phone. I would worry all night and into the next day just to have her call later with a happy voice having forgotten the night before. She would always say "I was just too tired but Im fine now".

kids!

• Like 2

Yes I would be interested to know how that goes. I'm pretty sure Donald Macleary is taking it but there just seems to be a piece of paper in the entrance there with the names of the dancers on who will be in the class.....if last week is anything to go by. I was wondering whether as last weeks was all boys perhaps this weeks will be all girls but maybe pas de deux even which would be really interesting.

So if anyone does go and has a min would be great to hear about it.

Thanks for that.....should be really interesting! Wish I was there again!!

Actually my friends DD is missing YBSS now. She is doing a summer school now in London...ENB one and so far thinks the one last week was better.... I think there is a particularly nice atmosphere at the Yorkshire one it seems. Still things might improve hopefully. Will be going there on Friday

That's a real shame if they haven't... I've just left a message on the photographers ansaphone to see if they've taken them of all groups this week so I'll let you all know if I hear back.

If not, I wonder if they'll let us take photos ourselves in the presentation class tomorrow...

I agree that there seemed to be hardly any group B pictures last week which was a shame. It was however a much smaller group than the A group which was quite large this year(two A groups) I only saw a photographer around on the Friday anyway so perhaps he did it all in one day. Personally I think a bit unfair on those younger pupils many of whom had bags of promise! So hopefully will be rectified this week. Can anyone report back on the Masterclass yesterday?

There are photos of week 2 and more coming. I met and chatted with the photographer and he showed me new photos and then he went into a class to get more so hopefully you will see them soon.

Arrived and am horribly jetlagged but watched dd's pointe class :)

Met one balletco'er already lol. Too foggy to actually properly introduce so my apologies!

Sea gazer was your son dancing with the blonde? That's my dd but there is another Canadian with dark hair.

• Like 2

Last week they sort of put the Romeo and Juliet piece which was all boys together to show how the sections rehearsed in the Masterclass but did as an ensemble so I'm sure they will show some of the pas de deux work from this week in a similar way.

There are photos of week 2 and more coming. I met and chatted with the photographer and he showed me new photos and then he went into a class to get more so hopefully you will see them soon.

Arrived and am horribly jetlagged but watched dd's pointe class :)

Met one balletco'er already lol. Too foggy to actually properly introduce so my apologies!

Sea gazer was your son dancing with the blonde? That's my dd but there is another Canadian with dark hair.

Did he say he'd taken any of B class do you know audsjcanuck?  When I asked my DD tonight, she wasn't aware of any photos being taken while she was in class but I suppose there's always tomorrow.

I'll have to check my camera settings Lottie - thanks for the tip :)