BRB at Glasto!

BRB will be performing Juliano Nunes's 'Interlinked' on the Pryamid Stage at the Glastonbury Festival, on the Sunday (30th June)

Just now hope the BBC cover it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I remember they covered ENB a few years back, so fingers crossed.

Yes, that was great - and of course, they covered ENO (?) doing Wagner, which must have scared the beejeesus out of the hungover early risers on a Sunday lunchtime! lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Oh bother. This means my husband is going to try to convince me to go at some point….

Didn't tickets sell out several months ago? Or are you going there already?

40 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Wouldn't doing their Black Sabbath ballet be more apt for Glastonbury?😄

Especially if Tony Iomi coud be persuaded to turn up!

🙂

28 minutes ago, Blossom said:

This means my husband is going to try to convince me to go at some point….

You have to be registered with The Glastonbury Festival, months in advance, and be lucky to get one in the first 1-2 hours when they go on sale. You'd be very, very lucky to get a ticket at this point!

And the press release:

KXil9oDteH7J91-BIXHtO-DGiODUqEagdRfD-3FATyfHeDeMDJkB8rh_AjmI-lUFHjKvlSTGZ4uyuWqiBujDnal-YONuxVH3d0AhpGxQast1SKXCkMmuT6dgZBjv1sBehZfDrpdEObpjbr0mDAj6CAPRESS RELEASE

4 June 2024

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET TO PERFORM ON THE PYRAMID STAGE AT GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL
3bNotnpJzX9lZeFUKVZMV4rHgGcf8-mx11R8-Ce7rQcFQfQDcWJINp7LG4zkfpmYK5z4WORLVC_FB0Rs9NQjd33BmJwrU2zt0i6QdFtmcYaY4tuXJRJsuCHoURmOhC_ok87CTN62dKdI BP7eoPea-3klB5CaECvZEMdb7shikblIYy3akJJ-3m42qok7lJeo04WVdWg5_4t20dULjunqZjAUJ-WLefEg29O7ln3IV5uueo-0PGAX-eBP9FJ5_IvmyMHo9Ht8r8G8WQw-1ArcXtr0

• FIRST-EVER PERFORMANCE AT THE UK’S BIGGEST AND MOST ICONIC MUSIC AND PERFORMING ARTS FESTIVAL BY BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET

• BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET  WILL PERFORM INTERLINKED BY CHOREOGRAPHER JULIANO NUNES ON SUNDAY 30 JUNE

• BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET  WILL BE THE ONLY BALLET COMPANY PERFORMING AT THIS YEAR’S FESTIVAL

Birmingham Royal Ballet will make their debut at the iconic Glastonbury Festival on Sunday 30 June 2024. Taking to the legendary Pyramid Stage, BRB will dance Interlinked by choreographer Juliano Nunes.

BRB will be the only ballet company to perform at this year’s festival, playing in front of thousands of festival goers and broadcast across the globe to millions.

Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Director, Carlos Acosta said: “We are honoured to be bringing ballet to the iconic Pyramid Stage at this year’s Glastonbury Festival. All of us at BRB are ready and raring to bring Glastonbury festival-goers a performance to be remembered, as will we too.

“The young and extremely talented Juliano Nunes’s Interlinked has become an audience favourite since its premiere in 2022 as part of the Birmingham 2022 Festival marking the Commonwealth Games in our home city. Since then, it has gone on to play in venues across the UK and USA, including last year’s New York Pride celebrations. It seems like the perfect fit to bring to the Pyramid Stage in 2024. ” 

Interlinked features a specially composed score by Australian composer Luke Howard and lighting design from Netherlands-based Northern Irish designer Tom Visser. The piece for 16 dancers explores themes of gender identity and the perception of self, falling into four distinct movements. 

Created by an international team, Interlinked is an abstract piece that explores themes of unity, the influences that we have on each other’s lives, and how the energy that we exude bounces from one person to the next, in a never ending circle. 

Birmingham Royal Ballet’s featured performance at Glastonbury Festival follows on from the sell-out success of Black Sabbath - The Ballet in 2023 and a triumphant 2024 UK tour of one of the Company’s most beloved classics, Sir Peter Wright’s The Sleeping Beauty. Later this year, BRB will present the world premiere of Luna, a brand-new work inspired by the pioneering women of Birmingham presented by an all-female creative team.

For more information visit brb.org.uk.

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 100 shows a year nationally and internationally.

41 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Especially if Tony Iomi coud be persuaded to turn up!

🙂

You have to be registered with The Glastonbury Festival, months in advance, and be lucky to get one in the first 1-2 hours when they go on sale. You'd be very, very lucky to get a ticket at this point!

My husband is going for the second year in a row. He made getting tickets look easier than Friends booking day for ROH 🤣. Last year was gorgeous weather, I am secretly hoping it is revoltingly muddy so he has a slightly less happy experience and doesn’t push it for me to go based mostly  on camping generally and toilets. 

• Like 2

I can see why Interlinked was chosen but like others here, couldn't help thinking Black Sabbath the Ballet would have been very apt - especially act 2 or act 3 - and so much fun!  😀  🎶  🎤  Fingers crossed It'll be on BBC! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Oh but @Blossom a wet Glastonbury is like a wet Paris-Roubaix - schadenfreude for the rest of us 🤣

Well, exactly, as long as I'm not there... Even if there is ballet!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know why they chose this particular ballet for Glastonbury!! Can’t see it would have got that many new ballet fans anyway. 
With such a massive general audience Black Sabbath would have been much more Appropriate. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t know why they chose this particular ballet for Glastonbury!! Can’t see it would have got that many new ballet fans anyway. 
With such a massive general audience Black Sabbath would have been much more Appropriate. 

It seems to have been very well received.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

At first I thought Black Sabbath The Ballet would be the obvious choice but having watched the performance in the Glastonbury setting and heard Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton talking about it, I think Interlinked was the right choice for the month of June (especially with both Paloma Faith and Shania Twain included in the line up after them) and a more original choice that makes audiences think: why are the men in tutus as well? What's it about? 

BSTB might have seemed too "derivative", like "Oh you want to be in a band, but you're not,  so you're pretending instead". I think choosing Interlinked was an excellent decision after all. I remember getting up early to catch ENB dance Dust live on a Sunday and the excellent reception they received too. Hope ballet at Glastonbury will be a regular feature in future!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

I thought Interlinked was a perfect choice for Glastonbury with its theme on inclusivity, probably more so than Black Sabbath - Glastonbury has never really been big on Heavy Metal. While I appreciated the short film of the event, I just wish the BBC had put its main Pyramid Stage cameras on an hour earlier so we could have seen it covered properly in its entirety. Much as I like Seasick Steve, who was on immediately after and WAS covered, I think BRB might have got more people watching, especially on catchup, than him. 

Away from that though I thought it was a pretty good Glasto, especially on the smaller stages, and especially the Park stage which I spent much of the weekend watching, particularly enjoying This Is The Kit, Lankum and London Grammar. Dua Lipa was great on the main stage, but I still can’t stand Coldplay!!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

but I still can’t stand Coldplay!!

I am so glad you said that…I thought I was the only person on Earth who can’t stand them!  😂

• Like 4

Bit of a thin Glastonbury for me this year. The outstanding acts for me included the imperious Polly Harvey, potential superstars The Last Dinner Party, Idles, Fontaines DC (the latter two clashing horribly), The National, Paul Heaton and Fat White Family (utterly bonkers). Surprised at how much I enjoyed both LCD Soundsystem and Corrine Bailey Rae. Still a few to catch up with on the iPlayer, so not an exhaustive list, but not many more I’d probably add

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

Bit of a thin Glastonbury for me this year. The outstanding acts for me included the imperious Polly Harvey, potential superstars The Last Dinner Party, Idles, Fontaines DC (the latter two clashing horribly), The National, Paul Heaton and Fat White Family (utterly bonkers). Surprised at how much I enjoyed both LCD Soundsystem and Corrine Bailey Rae. Still a few to catch up with on the iPlayer, so not an exhaustive list, but not many more I’d probably add

Yes I liked Corinne Bailey Rae too, especially her exciting new direction, and Paul Heaton’s set was more fun than I was expecting, especially when Norman Cook came on!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sim said:

...I thought I was the only person on Earth who can’t stand them!  😂

Think you'll find most of the 6Music listnership would be in that camp! I quite liked their first album, can't deny, as I saw them a few times on the way up (though I had actually gone to see the headline band in one case, and the support band in 2 others!) as 'Yellow' was breaking. Was at the aftershow in The Scala in Kings Cross - where it was rumoured Kylie was on the guest list. Though she didn't show up

• Like 1

I was seriously cheesed off with the BBC for sticking neither to their announced "if there is football ..." schedule nor to their "if we're not showing football ..." one!  I switched on to watch Shania Twain at the scheduled time, only to find no sign of it, and a total mess of programmes which hadn't been scheduled at all :( The iPlayer is not really an adequate substitute, but obviously I'm going to have to catch up with several acts I didn't know were appearing.