Carlos Acosta's Nutcracker in Havana - November 2024 Norwich Theatre Royal and touring including London

Just found this announcement. The show is also touring to Canterbury, Aylesbury, Richmond, Southbank Centre, Woking, Milton Keynes and Salford:

Norwich Theatre and Valid Productions are delighted to announce the brand new dance co-production CARLOS ACOSTA’S NUTCRACKER IN HAVANA, choreographed and directed by Carlos Acosta CBE, which will open at Norwich Theatre Royal on 1 November 2024 before embarking on a UK tour including a week-long run at London’s Southbank Centre in December 2024.

NUTCRACKER IN HAVANA is a colourful Cuban take on the festive classic, set to an exuberant Cuban newly-commissioned version of the magnificent Tchaikovsky score, arranged by Cuban composer Pepe Gavilondo. Featuring over 20 dancers from Carlos’ Cuban company Acosta Danza, this traditional story is brought to life with ballet at its core but in Carlos’ unique style, seeing dance traditions of Cuba carefully fused and woven throughout the classic tale.

With spectacular video projection and set design by Nina Dunn (9 to 5 Musical, Bonnie and Clyde, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Don Quixote), Cuba collides with the Land of Sweets, bringing snow to Havana in a visually stunning spectacular treat for all.

Carlos Acosta CBE said: “I am so excited to be bringing Acosta Danza to the Nutcracker. My generation in Cuba grew up without the spirit of Christmas and with this show I can combine the joy of the Nutcracker with the vibrant Havana culture. I cannot wait to take audiences from the humble settings of Clara’s home through to the beautiful dream sequences passing through the grand and vibrant Havana ballrooms of the 1940s and 50s.

“I have always taken pride in recreating some of the most iconic and loved ballet titles, from Carmen through to Don Quixote. Infusing the colour, feel and vibrancy of Havana with the tradition and beauty of Nutcracker is a real highlight for my career.”

Stephen Crocker, Chief Executive and Creative Director of Norwich Theatre said: “Norwich Theatre is delighted to be working with Carlos Acosta, Acosta Danza and Valid Productions once again, following the success of our partnership in reviving Carlos’ solo show, On Before, which continues to tour in the UK and internationally. This is the next major step in Norwich Theatre’s evolution as an originator of new work and creative force bringing the world to Norwich and Norfolk and taking Norwich and Norfolk to the world.

“The whole Creative Team and I are so inspired by Carlos’ vision for a fresh and different Cuban telling of this much loved tale. I hope that Nutcracker in Havana will both capture the imagination of dance lovers and also bring new audiences to dance. I am proud that we are creating a Nutcracker able to tour to the widest range of venues and to towns and cities not regularly receiving dance of this scale and quality.” 

International superstar Carlos Acosta was born in Havana, Cuba and trained at The National Ballet School of Havana. After winning a succession of awards, including the 1990 Prix De Lausanne, he went on to dance professionally with the world’s most prestigious companies, with London’s Royal Ballet becoming his home. Carlos retired from classical ballet in 2016, after 28 years, having performed almost every classical role from Spartacus to Romeo. Carlos created many award-winning shows throughout his ballet career, including Tocororo, and Carlos Acosta and Friends of the Royal Ballet, also choreographing the Royal Ballet productions of Don Quixote and Carmen and the 2014 West End production of Guys and Dolls. He has also written two books, including a work of fiction ‘Pig’s Foot’ and his autobiography ‘No Way Home’. Yuli, a film inspired by his life, premiered at the San Sebastian, Havana and Berlin Film Festivals to critical acclaim before its premiere and general release in April 2019.

The culture and history of Carlos’ homeland have been important influences throughout his career and continues to be so following the establishment of his own dance company, Acosta Danza, in 2016. The company tours the world with its vibrant combination of classical and contemporary, fused with Cuban elements of dance. In 2017, Carlos opened his first Dance Academy through the Carlos Acosta International Dance Foundation and in 2023 opened The Acosta Dance Center in Woolwich. He was also recognized in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List and received a CBE in 2014, later also receiving the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Award from The Royal Academy of Dance in 2018 and the Critics’ Circle’s Annual Award for Outstanding Services to the Arts in 2019. In January 2020, Carlos became Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet.

NUTCRACKER IN HAVANA is choreographed by Carlos Acosta, with video projection and mapping by Nina Dunn, costume design by Angelo Alberto, compositions and arrangements by Pepe Gavilondo Peón and set and lighting design by Andrew Exeter.

NUTCRACKER IN HAVANA is produced by Norwich Theatre and Valid Productions.

Find out more about the full tour at nutcrackerinhavana.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must admit my heart sank when I read the headline, as I thought he was bringing in a new one for the BRB.  As I think that this production is by far the best one around, I felt really anxious when I clicked on the link.   I was quite relieved when I saw that it is for Acosta Danza.  

• Like 1

Must admit I feel quite excited about it. Yes, the world doesn't exactly need one more Nutcracker, but this will be going to places that don't normally see a decent Nutcracker, which I'm sure this will be. I'm especially glad this will be going to the Lowry (even if it will be a month after Christmas!)

• Like 2

An interesting reboot. (To join all the other reboots in the UK and worldwide.) Go for it, Carlos! 

I was wondering what he would do about the Snowflakes scene if it was set in Havana/Cubs but he said there would be snow, so that part, I assume,  would be Clara dreaming about travelling out of Cuba (on holiday?) or perhaps just dreaming about a fantasy snowy land.

I'm surprised to see it opening in Norwich though.....unless the theatre management had offered them very preferential rates (half price? 70% discount??) for hire in return for the publicity/prestige...or maybe they both found local sponsorship to cover costs.

I've seen the programming for Theatre Royal Norwich for the rest of the season and it's compact and very ambitious- very unusually for Britain, you're competing with the likes of West End sell out plays and hit musicals in the very same theatre- it's like the West End, ENO, Sadler's Wells, O2, RSC and National Theatre all squeezed into one venue and it can either be a roaring success (if your marketing is good) or an expensive failure, as Norwich has a small population and is difficult for out of town audiences to get to. Eg as the crow flies, Norwich is nearer me, but it is cheaper and more convenient for me to get to Birmingham. I have seen touring dance companies sell badly and lose a lot of money  in Norwich by not realising this.

All credit to Stephen Crocker and his colleagues at the theatre not just for booking Carlos and Acosta Danza for this premiere but all the other sought after productions they've secured. I'm very impressed. If I were a Norwich resident who lived near enough or within convenient travelling distance of the theatre I would be a very happy bunny. 

That said, I'm not going to be travelling (and paying for a hefty train fare and hotel stay)  to Norwich for a new Nutcracker but I would catch it in London when it transfers and I liked the sound of it from reviews. (So many Nutcrackers already, reboots or otherwise!) Anyway South Bank Centre (I presume he is using Royal Festival Hall) is convenient for me so no point shlepping to Norwich.

I would travel to Norwich for (sadly as yet only hypothetical) Ronald Hynd's Merry Widow with orchestra though! 

Anyone here planning to go?  😀

Edited by Emeralds

I’ve only just heard about this. I think it sounds intriguing! I like Acosta Danza and I’d definitely like to see this production.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Must admit I feel quite excited about it. Yes, the world doesn't exactly need one more Nutcracker, but this will be going to places that don't normally see a decent Nutcracker, which I'm sure this will be. I'm especially glad this will be going to the Lowry (even if it will be a month after Christmas!)

Northern Ballet has toured its Nutcracker to at least 4 of the theatres on the list over the years.  Does that not count as a good production?

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I'm surprised to see it opening in Norwich though.....unless the theatre management had offered them very preferential rates (half price? 70% discount??) for hire in return for the publicity/prestige...or maybe they both found local sponsorship to cover costs.

No surprise at all to me.  Carlos Acosta's current production On Before is also (IIRC) a co-production with Norwich.

I love going to Norwich - it is one of our favourite Northern Ballet venues and we will be there for R&J.

• Like 3

I did manage to get to Norwich - last year, I think, rather than the year before - for six quid each way :)  Haven't checked prices yet for this year, but I remember the trains were hardly oversubscribed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Northern Ballet has toured its Nutcracker to at least 4 of the theatres on the list over the years.  Does that not count as a good production?

No surprise at all to me.  Carlos Acosta's current production On Before is also (IIRC) a co-production with Norwich.

I love going to Norwich - it is one of our favourite Northern Ballet venues and we will be there for R&J.

The theatre is doing great work, @Jan McNulty- if you can see this production in November I look forward to reading your review and feedback before I book/attend. 

South Bank Centre is actually even more convenient for me than ROH or Sadler's Wells so I'll look out for it there. I think it's very good that he's planning a Nutcracker for Acosta Danza. 

I'd like to have gone to see NB in Norwich- I looked up schedules and everything. But the fare was too high and connections took too long. I'd rather spend the time and money on extra performances by

NB when they come to London. A bit wistful that the special fares @alisonfound weren't during NB's visit to Norwich last year! (Although the connections would still have been a slog.) 

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

With all Carlos Acosta’s outside interests it feels like the job of  Director of BRB merits only a part-time appointment. One has to wonder if he is able to give BRB the attention it needs at this time.

I don't want to repeat myself from an old thread too much but I think Carlos fits in more in one week successfully than many people do in one month. I noticed when he turned up in the First Circle to watch his BRB dancers performing, he managed to fit in work (scrutinising the performance), time with friends/family (he wasn't on his own) and even granting fans selfies and autographs....and that was just to get to the exit. I know many directors only do one - watching the show- and will often run out quickly at curtain down to avoid questions or chats with fans. I notice he doesn't spend a long time with one or several people, although he will wait patiently if someone's phone plays up, but he gives a smile and a quick nod so that people feel they have been given attention yet not rushed!, they are left happy.

I  think he does a lot of delegating and trusts the coaches,  repetiteurs, admin  staff etc to do their roles, doesn't micromanage, and gives the dancers and orchestra interesting projects and positive roles to be involved in. I don’t see BRB being neglected in any way, things are happening proactively and efficiently. (....even casting info is quick nowadays under Acosta's directorship!) They're creating new work, they have a second company touring, they are performing in different venues (I include BRB2 in that as the members are BRB company members and not students), and I think he's successfully learnt how not to over manage or be too controlling, which I've seen some new ADs making the mistake of doing. Remember BRB is not the first company he is directing- Acosta Danza was the first. 

I did joke at one point that since he can juggle so many plates maybe they should ask him to run the Birmingham Council - he'd probably be able to fix the financial problems as well....lol. OK I'm just kidding. But only half kidding! (The impact of the Council problems on the arts has been discussed even in the national news and newspapers.) 

• Like 6

Saw all my early ballet in Norwich and visit often. Wonderful city and great the company is going to be there. A Nutcracker with a Cuban feel I’m afraid would not be my idea of freezing festive gorgeousness though may well be fab but I’m too old to change my ways! If anyone does go I can heartily recommend the Assembly House next door. Fabulous…

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

i don’t think the prices are expensive for central London in mid-December.  They range from £20 for rear stalls up to £72 for front stalls depending on the performance with the weekend being slightly higher.

The price range for Richmond in late November and Woking in January is broadly similar. Richmond also has premium seats inc drinks & nibbles at £105.

For comparison stalls seats for:

A Christmas Carol at the Old Vic range from £25 - £180

and for:

ENB Nutcracker at the Coliseum range from £85-£115 (child reduction is available)

Edited by San Perregrino
Removed reference to Festival Hall as this is being staged in the Queen Elizabeth hall

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Carlos Acosta's Nutcracker in Havana - November 2024 Norwich Theatre Royal and touring including London