Press Release: Viviana Durante steps down as Artistic Director of English National Ballet School.

Jan McNulty

PRESS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Viviana Durante steps down as Artistic Director of English National Ballet School.

English National Ballet School announces that Viviana Durante, Artistic Director, has informed the Board of Governors that she has decided to step down at the end of the current academic year. Viviana will be leaving after five very successful years at the artistic helm of the School.

Ms Durante said: "It has been a privilege to lead and guide the artistic development of the School for the past five years. It has been a joy to work with five cohorts of exceptional dancers, and to witness their growth as talented and creative artists.

"The artistic, educational, healthcare, executive and operational team I have worked with are dedicated and talented, and we have created a safe, nurturing and inspiring environment to empower the students.

"We have been blessed to have enjoyed the support of English National Ballet1, and many sponsors, donors, partner organisations, and visiting choreographers and teachers. Together with all involved at the School, their commitment has enabled us to provide our students with a wealth of opportunities that place us amongst the world's leading ballet schools.

"Having had the opportunity to bring fresh ideas for training and collaboration to the School, I very much look forward to seeing the future success of the School. We have been able to introduce new courses including our graduate trainee programme, innovate in the field of dance and healthcare, and we have strengthened our international reputation. I wish all involved at the School the very best."

Viviana will continue to lead the School's artistic streams through the summer performances in July.

The ENBS Board said: "Viviana has provided exceptional artistic leadership and has co-led the School through a time of significant challenge and change. Her vision and ability to create opportunities for our students is remarkable. We very much look forward to continuing to work with Viviana for the rest of this school year. She will leave with our thanks and very best wishes."

In addition to the summer performances in July, Viviana will be at the Prix de Lausanne with third year students Gabriel Pimparel, who has been selected as a Prix candidate by the esteemed judging panel, and Lana Klemen, who will participate in the choreography section of the elite dance competition. 

In her tenure, Ms Durante has helped ensure that ENBS students benefited from unrivalled performance opportunities, most recently being the only school in the UK and Europe to perform Sir Frederick Ashton's Romeo and Juliet, as well as the only school in the UK and Europe to be permitted to perform a work by Pina Bausch: both of which will be staged this July. 

Recruitment plans will be announced in due course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That will be a blow for ENBS though. 
She seemed to be doing such a great job there.

One shouldn’t speculate but if there is a move to another well known Ballet establishment at least you know  they will be in a very good pair of hands!! 

I really hope ENBS can find a replacement equal to Viviane but won’t be easy. 

• Like 6

She was doing a fantastic job as ENBS, and will be sorely missed! Wherever she goes, I'm sure she'll be successful.

I wouldn't like to speculate where she's going....

But I hope that the other prominent person "stepping down" stays well away from ENBS. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LinMM said:

That will be a blow for ENBS though. 
She seemed to be doing such a great job there.

One shouldn’t speculate but if there is a move to another well known Ballet establishment at least you know  they will be in a very good pair of hands!! 

I really hope ENBS can find a replacement equal to Viviane but won’t be easy. 

I guess that it's the timings that lead us to that speculation: all will be revealed in time.

Viviana is doing an incredible job at ENBS and will be sorely missed. 

Before their Winter Showcase, this year, she gave all the Students some performance polishing from her unique perspective: my DD was fortunate enough to have some help from her, with a solo she performed. Admittedly, DD was a bit sceptical as she was given a tweak here, a timing change there: but on reviewing the videos, the difference was like day and night. Trusting her excellent teaching staff, hands on where needed.

I'm sure that all the students can tell a similar story.

Of course, thoughts move on to who might be the next AD...

Edited by SpideyDad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A bit sceptical ?  You can't be sceptical when you have the honor of working with an artist and ballerina like Viviana Durante !

There are some incredible things happening with this new generation....

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MAX said:

A bit sceptical ?  You can't be sceptical when you have the honor of working with an artist and ballerina like Viviana Durante !

There are some incredible things happening with this new generation....

Exactly this! Exciting times!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Interesting timing….wonder if there’s a move to another very well know UK establishment….???

A number of people have jumped to this conclusion on this thread. I don’t know anything but surely one doesn’t need to have no job in order to apply for one, never mind one that hasn’t even been advertised yet. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

A number of people have jumped to this conclusion on this thread. I don’t know anything but surely one doesn’t need to have no job in order to apply for one, never mind one that hasn’t even been advertised yet. 

Unless a new job offer has been made,  it's never a good plan to jump the ship you're sailing on already. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Interesting timing….wonder if there’s a move to another very well know UK establishment….???

I can't imagine that the timings would coincide, so I doubt it.  I can't believe she's been there five years already - wasn't hers supposed to be a stopgap appointment?

And ENBS doing the Ashton R&J this summer?  Count me in!

• Like 6

A rather large number of prestigious dance schools seem to be searching for heads this year

- RB

- ENBS

- Dutch National Academy

- Palucca

- Australian Ballet School

- National Ballet School of Canada 

Others? 

• Like 2

If Viviana Durante is moving to be head of another school, it would be lovely if it were in the UK rather than abroad, although any establishment would benefit a lot from having her- she is an inspiring coach and a very experienced former ballerina who danced all the major roles (including 2 full length performances as Manon in Manon on the same day.....with different partners!). I wish ENBS all the very best in their search for a new artistic director who can be equally inspiring and beneficial to the students as she has been, or even more so. The school and its graduates are achieving great things.  Ooh, exciting times! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

Good points Colman which I think is generally replicated in all industries…. Certainly seen more movement in things like normal schools with changes of Heads or Acting Heads now become the official headteacher. Think also people feel more able to commit to geographical moves too now so necessarily changing jobs 

• Like 2

At Dutch the current head of the school is also head of the junior company. He is staying at Dutch but is taking on a new role of Talent Development and will remain AD of the junior company. So not moving on as much as moving up. But they are looking for a new person to lead the school. He is a wonderful teacher and extremely supportive and engaged leader, so his shoes will be hard to fill. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Birdy said:

At Dutch the current head of the school is also head of the junior company. He is staying at Dutch but is taking on a new role of Talent Development and will remain AD of the junior company. So not moving on as much as moving up. But they are looking for a new person to lead the school. He is a wonderful teacher and extremely supportive and engaged leader, so his shoes will be hard to fill. 

I have heard the same from acquaintances whose children attend/attended the school. Nothing but good words for him and his leadership. Very refreshing! 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 03:15, FionaM said:

A rather large number of prestigious dance schools seem to be searching for heads this year

- RB

- ENBS

- Dutch National Academy

- Palucca

- Australian Ballet School

- National Ballet School of Canada 

Others? 

Its sad this is happening just as school auditions are happening. Like league football transfer window but at the wrong time imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theunderdog said:

Its sad this is happening just as school auditions are happening. Like league football transfer window but at the wrong time imo.

I would assume that, as with many such jobs, at least 6 months notice would be required to give time for the next incumbent to be found.  Once the job is advertised the cat is out of the bag so all they have done is make the announcement before advertising the job and causing even more speculation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh apologies, difficult sometimes for a french man !

I guess you would have the same kind of problems if participating on a french dance forum.

Edited by MAX
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MAX said:

Oh apologies, difficult sometimes for a french man !

I guess you would have the same kind of problems if participating on a french dance forum.

🤣 Le seul fois que j'ai rencontré Aurélie Dupont, j'ai dis "Madame!"

The only time I met Aurélie Dupont (at stage door at the ROH in 2017, I was leaving a note for someone, she was waiting for security to finish with me), I just said "Madame!" and then babbled something about Hannah O'Neill. To which she replied graciously. I got out of her way ASAP, I mean, Aurélie Dupont !

I didn't call her Madame Dupont, but Madame. She's Mademoiselle Dupont professionally, and Madame Bélingard (I think, still) privately.