PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET PRINCIPAL DANCER, CÉSAR MORALES TO LEAVE THE COMPANY TO JOIN SANTIAGO BALLET AS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

All the more reason to catch him in Sleeping Beauty before he leaves, then.  (Edit: Oh, that will be before the Sadler's Wells season in April, presumably :( )

Congratulations to him.  And I think this probably deserves its own thread.

(PS: My brain for a moment interpreted this as Cesar Corrales, which gave me a huge shock!)

• Like 3

Congratulations to Cesar on the great job offer! Very meaningful being his hometown. He'll be greatly missed here- so wonderful in many roles that I saw him in: Oberon in The Dream, Albrecht in Giselle, Couple in Black in Forgotten Land. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Avanti please be good and ASLEF please do not strike on Cesar's show dates or you'll get an earful from me......!  😉

It is depressing that at the moment one has to have this trains caveat every time one books tickets, and for engineering as well as strikes. I'm actually relieved that, never having seen Morales dance, I don't therefore need to try to go to Birmingham to see his farewell.

• Like 1

Just now, Dawnstar said:

It is depressing that at the moment one has to have this trains caveat every time one books tickets, and for engineering as well as strikes. I'm actually relieved that, never having seen Morales dance, I don't therefore need to try to go to Birmingham to see his farewell.

I have no idea how I managed to make it to Birmingham for Swan Lake (Brandon Lawrence's last run of Siegfrieds in this country) last year while ASLEF and RMT have hit so many of my RB bookings, Dawnstar!  😲  ... I guess we were really lucky with that one. Might have to do coach each way if I'm unlucky!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I have no idea how I managed to make it to Birmingham for Swan Lake (Brandon Lawrence's last run of Siegfrieds in this country) last year while ASLEF and RMT have hit so many of my RB bookings, Dawnstar!  😲  ... I guess we were really lucky with that one. Might have to do coach each way if I'm unlucky!!

I would have liked to have seen a BRB Swan Lake but by the time the casts were announced there wasn't much ticket availabilty for matinees & with the possible strikes & having seen 2 ENB SLs only weeks earlier I decided not to go in the end. I dread to think how long the coach to Birmingham takes.

• Like 2

Tucked in at the bottom of the press release about Paul Murphy:

César Morales announced as new Artistic Director of Santiago Ballet.

In addition, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Principal, César Morales, has been appointed Artistic Director of the Santiago Ballet, a position which he will assume in March 2024. 

A former student of the Santiago Municipal Theatre Ballet School and former member of the Santiago Ballet, Morales has developed a vast and successful career spanning three decades in Europe.

Carmen Gloria Larenas, general director of the Municipal Theatre of Santiago said ‘After an extensive selection process, we have announced the new Artistic Director of the Santiago Ballet, a person who knows the company and the Municipal Theatre of Santiago well. His international career and achievements through his artistic merits make him an artist loved by the public and admired by the media. César Morales returns home.’

Morales, upon being informed of his selection, said ‘I am happy to return to the Municipal Theatre of Santiago to work with the company's dancers. It is a new stage in my career that I am ready to face and I am sure that my European experience will be a contribution to the development of the company’. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Does anyone have confirmation of Cesar’s last performance with BRB or has it been and gone? 
When I looked at the weekend Cesar was cast in Sleeping Beauty but now those dates are listed as TBC….

update: this para is included in the latest BRB e-newsletter :

We are thrilled for César and will let supporters know how and when we will be able to say farewell to him before he takes up his new role in March.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

We are thrilled for César and will let supporters know how and when we will be able to say farewell to him before he takes up his new role in March.”

Well that's interesting because in everything that was on the internet over the weekend it was saying he was taking up post in April.

• Like 1

Was reading it and now it's official.. 

https://municipal.cl/municipal/cesar-morales-nuevo-director-artistico-del-ballet-de-santiago/

Is great that he become AD ,I think later of the disaster of Luis Ortigorza years before , ballet municipal de Santiago needs return to its normal way. And well he's Chilean and wants contribute more to improve the national scene I think.

Edited by jorge
Adds more details
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, PeterS said:

I'd assumed that he would be taking up his role in late March after dancing his two last Sleeping Beauty performances on 2 March (last night of Birmingham run) and 9 March (matinee in Salford). Cesar was still on the cast list when I bought tickets on 20 Jan although it now says TBC-  I'll wait and see what they announce about his farewell.

Thankfully BRB staff and both David Bintley and Carlos Acosta have always recognised that fans and supporters (and dancers) like to do a nice, proper send off for a dancer who's leaving. (It's great for ticket sales as well!) 

22 minutes ago, PeterS said:

BRB revised castings for Sleeping Beauty are now on its website. César is currently listed for the 22/2 matinee and 28/2 evening performances at the Hippodrome.

It's so bizarre isn't it Peter - those were 2 of the 3 performances he was originally down for.  Miki is now due to dance with Max for one performance in Birmingham and dates elsewhere.  Lachlan is now partnering her too.  They were truly outstanding together in Fille.

• Like 2

I contacted the company before booking for his last performance and was told he would definitely dance unless injury or illness prevented it. When I checked this morning there were virtually no tickets for the matinee, a few more, and better, seats for the 28th

• Like 1

I wonder whether anyone else is experiencing ‘mixed feelings’ about this and other recent appointments?

As just two examples, Cesar Morales and Leanne Benjamin have given me so much pleasure from their dancing over the years - both of them in multiple companies - that it’s kind of sad that they are now moving on even though we wish them the very best in their ‘new’ careers.

• Like 3

Hmm, I won't be able to make it for Cesar's new Sleeping Beauty dates as they're week days unfortunately. A pity he isn't scheduled for the earlier weekend of 24 Feb. Still, there seems to be no shortage of audience members who can do the new midweek dates, which is good news for Cesar and BRB. I think my Birmingham friends will be going to the performance I booked, which will be great since they've been waiting ages for a traditional Sleeping Beauty to return after being disappointed by the recent Matthew Bourne version. 

Edited by Emeralds

Just now, Emeralds said:

Hmm, I won't be able to make it for Cesar's new Sleeping Beauty dates as they're week days unfortunately. A pity he isn't scheduled for the earlier weekend of 24 Feb but presumably he isn't available either. Still, there seems to be no shortage of audience members who can do the new mid week dates, which is good news for Cesar and BRB. I think my Birmingham friends will be going to the performance I booked, which will be great since they've been waiting ages for a traditional SB to return after being disappointed by the Matthew Bourne version. 

He was always scheduled to dance the matinee on 22nd February and the evening of 28th.  It's just that things went a bit bizarre when he was taken out and then reinstated on the website...

11 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

He was always scheduled to dance the matinee on 22nd February and the evening of 28th.  It's just that things went a bit bizarre when he was taken out and then reinstated on the website...

I had tickets for Sat 2 March eve as that was one of the dates he was scheduled to do; unfortunately I can't do weekdays that week. I suppose "remaining shows" is more correct than "new dates" (must admit I didn’t take notuce of weekdays as they weren't feasible for me). Really sad as I always enjoyed Cesar's artistry, great partnering, and  musicality - as well as technical ability. A pity teleporting doesn't yet exist!  I'm very grateful I got to see his Albrecht and Oberon though. 

Edited by Emeralds

16 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I had tickets for Sat 2 March eve as that was one of the dates he was scheduled to do; unfortunately I can't do weekdays that week. I suppose "remaining shows" is more correct than "new dates" (must admit I didn’t take notuce of weekdays as they weren't feasible for me). Really sad as I always enjoyed Cesar's artistry, great partnering, and  musicality - as well as technical ability. A pity teleporting doesn't yet exist!  I'm very grateful I got to see his Albrecht and Oberon though. 

Yeah that's the one I'd booked as well.  I always book the date I can do and take pot luck on dancers.  So I am disappointed I'll miss the chance to see Cesar in this role as he's not someone I've seen before.  Still I'm sure Max will do very well indeed.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Happy to read the announcement but - wait - wasn’t Marcia Haydee that company’s A.D. until recently? I’m thinking of Santiago, Chile.

Marcia Haydee was AD from Teatro Municipal de Santiago until December 2020 ,later taken the position Luis Ortigoza (Marcia Designated him) from 2021 until March 2023 and later had to resign because accusations of bad laboral practice and there was strike and a lawsuit to the laboral justice and from that month if my memory doesn't fail there was an interim AD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET PRINCIPAL DANCER, CÉSAR MORALES TO LEAVE THE COMPANY TO JOIN SANTIAGO BALLET AS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

Finally ... the press release:

5JEeOvArpIBD9KZ94JvPi0BOs1P7tdkih4yvKpuAUiiaAUw76OU8hTGHjH9n0S3LOUdzkLbILeDT0gp25_IWpH5NTqXgEckxNs9d7Yap9DyvAauxZgDO06dqBFleWAQx_apO9X5nQbzHpqAwzsCBKFE

PRESS RELEASE
5 February 2024
Twitter / Facebook / Instagram /Website

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET PRINCIPAL DANCER, 
CÉSAR MORALES TO LEAVE THE COMPANY AFTER 16 YEARS 
TO JOIN SANTIAGO BALLET

giDFXm6N3njEzEK4U1V_0RKyKKtx2_CjCQB7iniM8LfB7KeTE9AoReuDxoV3vZ8lFFVqh1VP5Ufe-zXKITFc8jeuv3EAINtEU8tGm5a9tVHbGiSy5KoZyMmh685NYpgWu0crGPmAGAvPJWtmK1xiAVo

Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal Dancer, César Morales will depart the Company after 16 years to take up the role of Artistic Director at Santiago Ballet in March 2024. 

César’s final performances with the Company will take place at Birmingham Royal Ballet’s home venue of Birmingham Hippodrome. He will partner Miki Mizutani for the final time in The Sleeping Beauty at the matinee performance on Thursday 22 February followed by his final on stage appearance on the evening of Wednesday 28 February. 

During his time with BRB, César has received acclaim for his leading roles in Company classic titles from Sir Peter Wright including The Nutcracker (Prince), The Sleeping Beauty (Prince Florimund) and Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried). He has performed in Frederick Ashton’s Enigma Variations (Arthur Troyte Griffith), Symphonic Variations and Les Rendezvous (lead role) as well as George Balanchine’s Serenade and Theme and Variations.

He also collaborated with Sir David Bintley on new productions including Beauty and the Beast (Beast), Aladdin (title role), Sylvia (Amynta), Cinderella (Prince) and 'Still Life' at the Penguin Café (Southern Cape Zebra).

In 2021 he was awarded the Dancing Times Award for Best Male Dancer at the National Dance Awards.

César Morales said “Thank you is the only thing I can say to all the audiences, dancers, ballet staff and all the departments in BRB, your support and love will always be appreciated by me. I am excited for the next chapter in my career, but of course, having spent the last 30 years as a dancer and 15 of those years in BRB, leading a company will be a big change for me. 

“I have learnt so much from the many people I have had the pleasure of working with over my 15 years at BRB. I will do everything I can to pass on my knowledge and experiences in dance to the dancers of Ballet de Santiago with honesty and continued passion for this great art form.”

Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet, Carlos Acosta said; “All of us at Birmingham Royal Ballet are grateful to César for sharing such an incredible talent with us and our audiences over the past 16 years. He is a treasured part of BRB’s history and has danced a selection of the Company’s most prestigious roles during his illustrious career. 

“It is a bittersweet pleasure to see César return to Santiago Ballet in the role of Artistic Director where he will oversee many new generations of talented dancers.”

Carmen Gloria Larenas, General Director of the Municipal Theatre of Santiago added; “After an extensive selection process, we have announced the new Artistic Director of the Santiago Ballet, a person who knows the company and the Municipal Theatre of Santiago well. His international career and achievements through his artistic merits make him an artist loved by the public and admired by the media. César Morales returns home.”

A former student of the Santiago Municipal Theatre Ballet School and former member of the Santiago Ballet, César Morales began his career at Ballet de Santiago, Chile, where at the age of just 18 he was made a Principal. He then went on to join English National Ballet before beginning with Birmingham Royal Ballet in 2008. 

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 175 shows a year nationally and internationally.

Music is at the heart of BRB’s activities and the company is committed to regularly commissioning new orchestral music for ballet. Through BRB’s Ballet Now programme which was launched in 2017 BRB has commissioned the largest number of new orchestral music for Ballet since Diaghilev. 

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia 

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. Alongside touring with Birmingham Royal Ballet The Royal Ballet Sinfonia plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances with Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

César’s final performances with the Company will take place at Birmingham Royal Ballet’s home venue of Birmingham Hippodrome. He will partner Miki Mizutani for the final time in The Sleeping Beauty at the matinee performance on Thursday 22 February followed by his final on stage appearance on the evening of Wednesday 28 February

this was published only yesterday and for a while now César was listed as dancing the 22/2 matinee with out-of-town fans relishing the prospect of a day trip to see César one last time.

HOWEVER,

checking the BRB website, the casting for 22/2 matinee is now:

Aurora*Yaoqian Shang

Prince*Max Maslen

ConductorPhilip Ellis

* change from originally advertised casting

whilst the 22/2 evening is now:

Aurora*Beatrice Parma

Prince*César Morales

ConductorMartin Georgiev

which will doubtless upset Cesar fans who booked the matinee to see him dance. 

i wonder what has prompted this switch?.

given that the matinee is more or less completely sold out and the evening awash with available seats, a cynic might say that the switch is to generate sales on a slow night….
Talk about not one hand not knowing what the other is doing, BRB seems not to know it’s a** from its elbow…

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

this was published only yesterday and for a while now César was listed as dancing the 22/2 matinee with out-of-town fans relishing the prospect of a day trip to see César one last time.

HOWEVER,

checking the BRB website, the casting for 22/2 matinee is now:

Aurora*Yaoqian Shang

Prince*Max Maslen

ConductorPhilip Ellis

whilst the 22/2 evening is now:

Aurora*Beatrice Parma

Prince*César Morales

ConductorMartin Georgiev

which will doubtless upset Cesar fans who booked the matinee to see him dance. 

i wonder what has prompted this switch?.
Talk about not one hand not knowing what the other is doing, BRB seems hot to know it’s a** from its elbow…

Oh no.  That is incredibly annoying and disappointing for anyone who has booked that matinee specifically to see him dance one last time.  People from outside of Brum might have already booked train tickets as well as show tickets.  Very poor show from BRB.  

• Like 3