PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET PRINCIPAL DANCER, CÉSAR MORALES TO LEAVE THE COMPANY TO JOIN SANTIAGO BALLET AS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

It is all very bizarre and @PeterS is quite right that left and right hands don't seem to know what they are doing!  

Fortunately for me I did my usual booking and am seeing both performances on 22nd but I feel desperately sad for anyone who may have booked for the matinee to see César one last time.

I also hope Miki isn't injured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Oh no.  That is incredibly annoying and disappointing for anyone who has booked that matinee specifically to see him dance one last time.  People from outside of Brum might have already booked train tickets as well as show tickets.  Very poor show from BRB.  

I booked it this very morning - for that reason :(  And even if I could stay on for the evening performance, I'd have to leave before he put in an appearance :(  Oh well, at least I hadn't booked the train tickets.

And there's no point in changing to the other Thursday matinee, because it's the same cast :(

Not going to say anything about Southampton, in case they decide to change that one too.

• Like 1

Don't suppose you can do Wed 28 evening, @alison

I know they don't usually announce why casting is swapped but this does seem a bit cynical, as though to push Cesar fans who booked the matinee to buy extra tickets for the evening show. But it's a bit unfair to artists and audiences alike if  some/many people are at the show because they have to be there and not because they want to be there.

No doubt fans would enjoy the matinee performances too, but some people can't afford to stay overnight, pay for two shows, or are physically infirm and can't handle two performances in one day.

I think in this instance the company should allow audience members (like they did for the Muntagirov performances last year although that wasn't actually a cast change) to switch tickets at no extra charge/penalty charge for the evening show, given that there is no chance to catch Mr Morales in Sleeping Beauty with BRB in subsequent seasons (for obvious reasons). Some audience members may be fine with not taking up such an offer. After all, the website does advertise Cesar's last and second last shows with the company in the knowledge that this helps ticket sales.

I can see the logic of not scheduling Mr Morales' performances on a Saturday  (although that's a tad mean to us non-local folk who can't just skive off work on weekdays) since Saturdays generally sell well but this abrupt change without the opportunity to switch tickets does seem inconsiderate.

Miki Mizutani is still scheduled to dance on 2 March with Max Maslen so hopefully her performance is still going ahead and she isn't injured. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, alison said:

As I indicated, emeralds, my last train goes before he would even have put in an appearance. And yes, at first glance it does appear somewhat cynical.

Yeah, I had a feeling it was down to weekday trains. Pity you can't stay overnight. I can’t either, so that's me out also. Will just cherish the memory of his excellent Albrecht and Seventh Symphony- the last two things I saw him in, plus his incredible Oberon. 

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - CÉSAR IS DUE TO DO THE MATINEE ON 22ND.

I had queried what was happening with the Company and while there has been some confusion it has now been resolved.  A note should be coming out from the Company today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I had queried what was happening with the Company and while there has been some confusion it has now been resolved.  A note should be coming out from the Company today.

I did some ‘lobbying’ of my own too 😉, so hopefully all will end well. 
Casting details on the BRB website have now been changed.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I did some ‘lobbying’ of my own too 😉, so hopefully all will end well. 
Casting details on the BRB website have now been changed.

I bet quite a few of us did some lobbying!!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope nobody here who wants to see Cesar Morales has dumped or exchanged their 22/2 matinee tickets! Well done to everyone who wrote in to cajole, persuade, plead etc! 

Edited by Emeralds

Part of an email from BRB:

César Morales's final performances

1613293_moralesheadshot.png

César Morales will leave BRB at the end of this month to take up his new role as Artistic Director of Ballet de Santiago in Chile. We can now confirm that his last performances will be in Birmingham at the matinee on Thursday 22 February (partnering Beatrice Parma in her debut as Aurora) and on the evening of Wednesday 28 February (partnering Miki Mizutani). 

César's Thursday 22 February performance was briefly advertised as being the evening show; if you purchased tickets for the evening show after 30 January (when the casting was changed), intending to say farewell to César, we would be happy to move your booking to 28 February. Dancers' Circle supporters can contact Georgia or Helen to help move their seats; other bookers should ring the box office on 0844 338 5000* from 11am tomorrow, Thursday 8 February.

5 hours ago, alison said:

Presumably the asterisk is supposed to refer to a footnote telling you just how expensive it is to call the box office on that number.

Yes - I once got caught out ringing it from a Vodafone mobile and got an extra £10+ added to my bill!

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Yes - I once got caught out ringing it from a Vodafone mobile and got an extra £10+ added to my bill!

Me too. In fact, I'm not sure that Vodafone didn't block the call after it had reached a certain threshold ☹️

On 07/02/2024 at 10:51, Jan McNulty said:

i hope be resolved soon ,it would be sad that the farewell happens such date confusions from the company ..