Time out…

MrsMoo2

Hi guys, long time lurker here! 
DS used to dance a lot, he auditioned at 11 for Hammond and Elmhurst and unfortunately didn’t get in. He was a Phoenix Boy for a few years and this did help. He started at his local, very small High School tho and was bullied for 18 months for dancing. This led to him developing a hatred for all things creative. He was very angry with the bullies and blamed dance for this.
Anyhow, fast forward and he’s now 16, he left High School (and bullies) in July last year with a full set of GCSE’s at high grades and started his A Levels, in History, English and Chemistry but he’s a performer. As soon as he hears music he’s dancing again, he’ll dance in the aisle in Tesco, with the dog, wherever he sees open space, unusually for a teenager, he does not care who sees him and he enjoys the reactions. The joy on his face is lovely to see. 
Question is, what if any type of dance could he get into at 17 or 18? He’s always maintained his ballet figure, although is now over 6ft, and I believe he’s been doing barre secretly for a while. (Still has one in his bedroom).

He’s obsessed with musical theatre and has a decent voice (in the shower!)

Anyone else a late starter? xx

Edited by MrsMoo2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

DS used to dance a lot, he auditioned at 11 for Hammond and Elmhurst and unfortunately didn’t get in. He was a Phoenix Boy for a few years and this did help. He started at his local, very small High School tho and was bullied for 18 months for dancing. This led to him developing a hatred for all things creative. He was very angry with the bullies and blamed dance for this.
Anyhow, fast forward and he’s now 16, he left High School (and bullies) in July last year with a full set of GCSE’s at high grades and started his A Levels, in History, English and Chemistry but he’s a performer. As soon as he hears music he’s dancing again, he’ll dance in the aisle in Tesco, with the dog, wherever he sees open space, unusually for a teenager, he does not care who sees him and he enjoys the reactions. The joy on his face is lovely to see. 
Question is, what if any type of dance could he get into at 17 or 18? He’s always maintained his ballet figure, although is now over 6ft, and I believe he’s been doing barre secretly for a while. (Still has one in his bedroom).

My son started ballet at 12. Danced locally and did a weekly associate program til he went to vocational ballet school at 17. Survived the 3 years of that 😅 and has been a professional ballet dancer for the past 5 years.

In our experience, boys can start training later than girls. Schools seem to see potential in the older ones and want to invest. 
He was also very lucky that his senior school friends were very supportive of his dancing so didn’t experience the bullying as your son sadly did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My DS had never danced , but had done some acting and a little singing .

He abandoned his degree in primary education in the second year .

He successfully auditioned for Renaissance Arts in Leeds and after completing the 3 year course secured a DANCING job on Cunard cruise lines.

He has worked on the ships since that day .

It is never too late to pursue your dream .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Without doubt the chances are greater for boys starting late, than girls. Will still be a huge challenge but if he feels this is his pathway to fulfilment and he’s fully aware of the amount of hard work, then better to get started! Do you have a very good school near you that will support and offer enough training to get back to the level needed to audition? Having a decent voice will help no end.

The other option or plan b might be to take adult classes at a dance center and apply for amateur musical theatre groups. Another plan b would be to join some excellent dance and musical theatre groups at university. I’ve heard some are very professional. Sometimes you can do what you love by going through a different door.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Might he prefer musical theatre/jazz dance rather than ballet? (In other words, what Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman do rather than what Carlos Acosta and Baryshnikov do.) Barre work and ballet are beneficial for that genre of dance too. You don’t have to start early for that kind of dance/career and the job and salary prospects are great. Lots of excellent courses and schools/colleges in the UK and he could apply/start at 17 or 18 although I'd start looking, visiting the schools/colleges and applying now. And encourage him to continue dance lessons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mrs Moo - Arts Ed in Chiswick has a very accessible Musical theatre course. ( Hopefully I can mention this school? Moderators please delete if not)

When my daughter was 10yrs and in grade 2 ( she started late too) a much older male student came to her class every week. One day she told me he was 17 in a shocked voice, as though anyone could be so old!

This very, quiet unassuming guy continued to come to pretty much everything regardless of who was in the class - he was 1 of only 2 males in the school. He went to Arts Ed at 18 and BLOSSOMED. He came back to her school to do a West End workshop one weekend and boy!! He was unrecognisable! The confidence and his performance were incredible as was his dancing. Just blew me away actually. He danced professionally for a few years and is now a fitness coach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

My DS started dance age 11 (ballet and jazz) in a local dance school. He auditioned at central School of Ballet, Northern Ballet School and KS Dance at age 17, in his last year of school. He was offered places at all three and is now in his first year at KS Dance (started age 18) and LOVING IT! His absolute favourite genre is Ballet and he is learning so much and improving so fast. He is also enjoying jazz and contemporary, and is taking tap for the first time. There is also MT singing for those who show interest and talent. We are so happy with his decision to go to KS Dance. Amazing teachers, fantastic S&C and physio/rehabilitation programme. He feels seen, listened to and cared for. 

Edited by Mamaderuby
Error
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So glad your ds is enjoying KS! Dd went there and absolutely loved it. Would highly recommend over anywhere. It’s like one big happy family, show term is amazing - have fun and enjoy when you go watch

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

So glad your ds is enjoying KS! Dd went there and absolutely loved it. Would highly recommend over anywhere. It’s like one big happy family, show term is amazing - have fun and enjoy when you go watch

Thankyou! Flights and hotel booked already for end March. Can't wait!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When dd was at Northern Ballet School there were several boys who had started dance in their teens, one in his early twenties. Most of them went on to get work on cruise ships. I've also heard of late starter boys having successful careers in contemporary dance. But your lad isn't even a late starter - he's had a good grounding so hopefully he'd be able to pick up even better than these boys who didn't start until their teens.

NBS take students at 18 or older, so he could consider applying for when he's finished his A levels. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Might he prefer musical theatre/jazz dance rather than ballet? (In other words, what Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman do rather than what Carlos Acosta and Baryshnikov do.) Barre work and ballet are beneficial for that genre of dance too. You don’t have to start early for that kind of dance/career and the job and salary prospects are great. Lots of excellent courses and schools/colleges in the UK and he could apply/start at 17 or 18 although I'd start looking, visiting the schools/colleges and applying now. And encourage him to continue dance lessons. 

Northern Ballet School Jazz Focus springs to mind. Ballet remaining at the core of their training but pupils train in other genres are in a wide and varied curriculum. The school are not fixated on age but rather the potential of applicants/their pupils. 
If interested @MrsMoo2 please look at the schools website for information on auditions. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look at MT degree courses.  My youngest son at GSA (Guildford school of acting). Did 2 years dance at Emil Dale academy on their BTECH course. He did Ballet to grade 2 at 7yrs old and never danced after that.  Always sang and acted though. 

Best MT courses to look at (open days and summer shows this year worth exploring), GSA and Arts (probably some of the others do too)  do summer schools too which might be worth looking at and pre audition workshops. 

GSA

Mountview

Arts Ed

Urdang

Bird College

Laine Theatre Arts

Wilkes Academy

Royal Welsh 

Scottish conservatoire

There are literally loads more but the above are all very highly rated with great industry links and progression into the profession. Boys do not have to have done masses of dance, they just have to be trainable and have some natural ability.  They will have to be able to sing very well though.  My son was grade 8 at 15, however, grades are not required just a really good voice and if he can get some excellent singing lessons while doing his A levels it would give him chance to explore that.  Never too late to pursue a passion.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was also going to suggest private singing lessons - makes all the difference to get a good singing and breathing technique and repertoire of songs. If his school doesn’t have a visiting teacher, try the local borough music hub.

I don’t know anything about boys and dance (my son is a singer) but I wish him all the very best as he spreads his wings away from those bullies. Ugh, poor thing.

Edited by Betty
To give suggestions as to where to look for a teacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2024 at 21:34, MrsMoo2 said:

If he is a good performer and can pick up choreography quickly then Disney may be an option. They are looking for character performers, vocalists and dancers. Auditions regularly held in U.K.

If he needs to train in MT first then LSC, Laines, Urdang are all great options. Good luck.

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much peeps, I’ve told him we will support him whatever he decides. I think for now he’s gonna finish his A levels so he’s got a back up then throw himself into finding his “thing!” 
I just want to hug you all.

oh and for the ones who mentioned KS Dance, I was a student there in the late 90’s! Blast from the past! 🤣

xxx

• Like 7

We can not fault KS at all, they put our dd back together again after attending one of the schools that’s been on the tv! We had a big blip after watching the documentary, brought back too many bad memories, but she’s picked herself up and is on the up again! We’re soooooo proud of her and her determination to get somewhere 🩷

• Like 7

This is a useful

thread. My son 12 has recently been spotted by northern ballet. He hasn’t danced for long, but absolutey loves it especially ballet. The open day was a bit intimidating/ overwhelming  as lots of the other dancers ( mostly girls) appeared to have been dancing since they were tiny. Good to hear that boys can start later and it doesn’t hold them back too much. I was a bit worried about applying to the auditions due to him not dancing for so long, but think having read these comments he will have a go 😊

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2024 at 08:35, Dancing unicorn said:

We can not fault KS at all, they put our dd back together again after attending one of the schools that’s been on the tv! We had a big blip after watching the documentary, brought back too many bad memories, but she’s picked herself up and is on the up again! We’re soooooo proud of her and her determination to get somewhere 🩷

I’m so pleased to hear that your DD has been put back together and is back on top form. 

This process is so brutal. 

Would you mind if I DM you regarding KS Dance? I didn’t realise they offer places at age 14. 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

Morning 

15 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I’m so pleased to hear that your DD has been put back together and is back on top form. 

My DS is currently in Yr9 - this process is so brutal. 

Would you mind if I DM you regarding KS Dance? I didn’t realise they offer places at age 14. 

My dd was at KS from 16 full time and gained her trinity level 6 diploma! They don’t take under 16’s full time, but they do have a part time school, including Associates classes which, had we known about we would definitely attended instead of going away at 11 🥲

If you still want further info re KS then yes please do contact me 🩷

7 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Morning 

My dd was at KS from 16 full time and gained her trinity level 6 diploma! They don’t take under 16’s full time, but they do have a part time school, including Associates classes which, had we known about we would definitely attended instead of going away at 11 🥲

If you still want further info re KS then yes please do contact me 🩷

Ah, thank you! My misunderstanding! 

Will DM you. 😊

• Like 1