Opera Ignoramus

Fonty

Although I go to the ballet frequently, I admit I know nothing whatsoever about opera and have never been to one at the ROH.  I have just received an email with the Winter programme, and it contains some operas I have actually heard of.  Which would people recommend for an opera newcomer?  Given the price of tickets I can only go to one.  

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

Ah, now that is on at the cinema.  I might go along and give that a go.  I am sorry if this sounds an extremely crass remark, but will I be able to understand what on earth they are singing about?  

yes, there are surtitles with the lyrics in English 

Just now, Fonty said:

Ah, now that is on at the cinema.  I might go along and give that a go.  I am sorry if this sounds an extremely crass remark, but will I be able to understand what on earth they are singing about?  

You might well recognise Nemorino's aria 'Una Furtiva Lacrima' which is the centrepiece of the opera.  I will never, ever forget seeing Pavarotti sing it at the ROH.  I have never heard such loud and long applause for an aria.  It brought a few furtive lacrime to my eyes, that's for sure.  Unforgettable.

• Like 3

What about next season?  Even I know the Vesti La Giubba song from Pagliacci (although I did have to look it up to see what it was called).  But I know nothing else about it.  I realise Madame Butterfly is not going to be a barrel of laughs.   Any other suggestions? 

Hansel and Gretal?  I loved the fairytale characters living in the woods.   Sadly the ROH has some truly awful opera productions so do ask about them here before you book.  The Cav and Pag is quite good.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Any other suggestions? 

Possibly not next season (though it comes round regularly) but best for frocks is La Traviata. Also a many tissues opera. Never fails. 🥹 Great tunes!  (Yes it's the same story as Marguerite and Armand.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ondine said:

🙂

Oh go on, who can resist this?  (Or indeed anything from Mozart)

Me.  I saw a number of Mozart Operas in the 80s plus Puccini and several others and (until the slightly niche Maria de Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago) I've never felt the need or desire to go again.  WNO, SO and ON.

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've never felt the need or desire to go again.

Oh that's sad. I admit I'm quite picky and some ROH productions in recent times have been frankly ghastly but I like a nice tune, a pretty frock  and a good cry is always a bonus...  😌

8 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Me.  I saw a number of Mozart Operas in the 80s plus Puccini and several others and (until the slightly niche Maria de Buenos Aires a couple of weeks ago) I've never felt the need or desire to go again.  WNO, SO and ON.

This is heretical stuff but I find most Mozart operas too long and could live without Puccini. Verdi, however...!

29 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'll disappear from this thread after this but I prefer opera without the singing...

I do wish we could respond with a laugh Emoticon.  :lol:

I can see that answering my question is probably going to provoke the same reaction as a ballet beginner asking for suggestions!  I would never send them to see something like Swan Lake - too pure, too "balletic".  I always suggest Romeo and Juliet if it is on.  Great music and a wonderful, dramatic story we all know.  With a tissue ending.....

I would prefer an opera that is a) tuneful and b) not too long.  The operatic equivalent of La Fille Mal Gardee if there is something like that.  Sitting through 4 hours plus of Wagner doesn't sound like my cup of tea, to be honest.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I would prefer an opera that is a) tuneful and b) not too long.  The operatic equivalent of La Fille Mal Gardee if there is something like that.  Sitting through 4 hours plus of Wagner doesn't sound like my cup of tea, to be honest.  

I look at this page more often than I should admit to: https://theopera101.com/operaabc/runningtimes/ - NB you can sort by length!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I would prefer an opera that is a) tuneful and b) not too long.  The operatic equivalent of La Fille Mal Gardee if there is something like that. 

I'd say L'elisir d'amore would be the nearest in tone to La Fille Mal Gardee out of the ROH's current offerings. Young woman deciding between two suitors with a nice happy ending. The ROH production isn't precisely traditional but it's straightforward & reasonably attractive. (I was going to see it again next week, having seen it in 3 previous runs, but with the train & tube strikes I think I may have to see the cinecast instead.)

If L'elisir is too short notice then my next pick out of what's coming up in the next few months is Cav & Pag. However they are both tragedies. In fact looking at what the ROH is doing this season there's a distinct dearth of comedies.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last sentence.
  • Like 3

I think the cinema showing for L'elisir d'amour might be a good staring point.  If I hate it, at least I will have tried.  Sometimes I feel as though I am missing out, as I love music generally.  Well, you can't like ballet and not like classical music, can you?  Yet opera has passed me by.  

• Like 4

And wonderful singing at the end! SeokJong Baek  

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/25/arts/music/opera-seokjong-baek-tenor.html

https://www.intermusica.com/artist/seokjong-baek

Here he is on his on YouTube channel (another opera you have to see at least once, Turandot) and wow.

And this. 

Edited by Ondine

I’m a bit of an opera newbie myself. With what’s on now and soon then definitely L'elisir d'amore is a great starter opera and as said it has the same sort of cheerful feel as La Fille Mal Gardee (I’m going tomorrow 🙂).

I’ve also quite surprisingly discovered that I love Handel. Jephtha is coming up so that may be worth a look.

• Like 2

WNO did a staged Jeptha in the 2000s which I found rather shattering. What is musically a if not quite happy ending at least a resigned-to-God's-will one was made considerably more depressing. Of course a different production might do it differently but I decided I didn't want to see it again.

I thoroughly recommend "Hansel and Gretel".  I saw this new production before lockdown and it is slightly subversive but also utterly enchanting - and the music is gorgeous throughout.  If you go to Elisir, you will realise that you recognise a lot of the music as John Lanchbery used it (and bits from Barber of Seville) when putting together the score for La Fille mal gardee 😊.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1