A 'ballet/dance miscellany' thread

On 03/11/2023 at 09:54, LinMM said:

I wonder if Arts philanthropy has dropped off because the people who have the money these days are much younger entrepreneur types than previously and sadly there seem to be few into classical music ( even less into ballet etc) 

When you listen to a programme like Desert Island Discs these days very few chosen to take part …and from all walks of Life …..have any classical music in their choices! Whereas 25 plus years ago or so I’ve often gone out and bought a record( or even CD!) from listening to the programme. 
I don’t think classical music is on most secondary schools agenda these days so young people are not exposed to it unless their parents happen to introduce it to them. 
I can remember when I was a young teacher working for ILEA in London children were offered free tuition in various instruments like violin etc. 
A PRIMARY school I worked at in Islington in North London had its own orchestra!!  We had a FULL time music teacher on the staff …..Just unheard of these days. 

So it’s not so surprising maybe that gradually the Arts are being less and less supported by Philanthropy especially where classical Music is concerned. 

The lack of classical music really upsets me.   I find it very sad indeed that today's children know absolutely nothing about any classical music unless their parents play it, or it is featured either in the intro to a film or tv programme, or a pop singer uses a scrap in their song. 

Both my schools had a full time music teacher.  I can remember at primary school she used to play records, and we listened to masses of stuff including opera and ballet.  We also had Children's Choice on the radio, which was extremely popular.  It had an eclectic mix, which included humorous songs by the likes of Danny Kaye and Flanders and Swann, hymns, and it always ended with a piece of classical music.   I only have to hear the tune Puffin' Billy and I am right back in my kitchen as a child with "Uncle" Mac.  I know it continued with Ed Stewart for a long time, but the BBC decided to appoint Tony Blackburn as the new presenter.  He said himself he had absolutely no interest in anything other than the latest pop music, and that was all he played.  So the programme was cancelled.  

• Like 7

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Above piccie is State Ballet of Georgia ( from their Facebook page) in “Bayadera” a new work premiered on November 14th 

There are loads of lovely pics from their version of Bayadere and makes me want to jump on a plane immediately to go and see it! 

• Like 2

Just one more! 
This looks like a great Production to look at. 
I think my first New Years wish has just come into being! 
A visit to UK by Georgian State Ballet Company ( or even a double visit from their Folk Company and singers as well!) for the 24-25 season bringing this Bayadere with them…..though do suspect it will be just too expensive to do it! 
Still you can have a dream. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 09:54, LinMM said:

I wonder if Arts philanthropy has dropped off because the people who have the money these days are much younger entrepreneur types than previously and sadly there seem to be few into classical music ( even less into ballet etc) 

When you listen to a programme like Desert Island Discs these days very few chosen to take part …and from all walks of Life …..have any classical music in their choices! Whereas 25 plus years ago or so I’ve often gone out and bought a record( or even CD!) from listening to the programme. 
I don’t think classical music is on most secondary schools agenda these days so young people are not exposed to it unless their parents happen to introduce it to them. 
I can remember when I was a young teacher working for ILEA in London children were offered free tuition in various instruments like violin etc. 
A PRIMARY school I worked at in Islington in North London had its own orchestra!!  We had a FULL time music teacher on the staff …..Just unheard of these days. 

So it’s not so surprising maybe that gradually the Arts are being less and less supported by Philanthropy especially where classical Music is concerned. 

Even if students opt to study music due to interest and efforts in learning and practising classical music at their own (ie parents') expense , the GCSE and Key Stage 2 syllabus have now been altered to include pop music as well! I know of pupils who have dropped GCSE Music as a result, despite continuing with their grade 8 and diploma level music studies.

That's down to the Department of Education and exam boards rather than the teachers. The cuts in education budgets resulting in the cutting of music teacher jobs and music lessons mean that many classically trained musicians don't have as many options to study for a PGCE and teach in schools in addition to/instead of a performing career as the jobs have been cut. (Ironically, schools are having trouble recruiting teachers in all other subjects apart from history as the pay has been cut so much that nobody is even applying for some posts.) Classical music is really struggling in this country at the moment. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

the GCSE and Key Stage 2 syllabus have now been altered to include pop music as well! I know of pupils who have dropped GCSE Music as a result, despite continuing with their grade 8 and diploma level music studies.

Well I wish that were true & that schools would offer an option of pop or rock music as part of A level music. One of my offspring sadly dropped A level as it was ‘too dry’. They are accomplished with Grade 8 in Trinity Rock & Pop one instrument Grade 5 several others in ABRSM and plays with Jazz & Swing bands & Orchestra but over emphasis on very intense classics left him very uninspired & so he dropped the A level. If only schools & teachers could embrace a wider variety & tailor teaching on a more individual level rather than just making each student do exactly the same… and in a class of just 5 disappointing it was not even discussed….sigh 

When my kids were at school, the difficulty was that the teachers took the attitude that the pupils wouldn't be interested in classical music, only in the pop they already liked and were exposed to.

A prize example of teaching children to be children, instead of opening their eyes to the wider world and expanding their minds.

• Like 6

My point is that any element of teaching music should involve sharing the vast array of genres, instruments, composers, performance styles, delivery methods (eg. radio, records, digital, live performances from busking to Opera - again so many places to discover music!). And maybe enable pupils to select area of their preferred interest to delve deeper into for project based work perhaps….?

I know my own musical endeavours got curtailed by the insistence to continue beyond grade 5 instrumentally you had to take grade 5 theory… and I hated the dry teaching then so stopped the lot!! Regret it deeply now of course….

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

I know my own musical endeavours got curtailed by the insistence to continue beyond grade 5 instrumentally you had to take grade 5 theory… and I hated the dry teaching then so stopped the lot!! Regret it deeply now of course….

Mine too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Well I wish that were true & that schools would offer an option of pop or rock music as part of A level music. One of my offspring sadly dropped A level as it was ‘too dry’. They are accomplished with Grade 8 in Trinity Rock & Pop one instrument Grade 5 several others in ABRSM and plays with Jazz & Swing bands & Orchestra but over emphasis on very intense classics left him very uninspired & so he dropped the A level. If only schools & teachers could embrace a wider variety & tailor teaching on a more individual level rather than just making each student do exactly the same… and in a class of just 5 disappointing it was not even discussed….sigh 

Am afraid I don't know as much about A level as I do GCSE. At Key Stage 2 and 3, and the GCSE exams it isn't actually an option but you have to study them as compulsory topics. I think it would be better to have them as options, and likewise it would be better to have them as options at A level also.

By the way, just an aside about music theory for @Peanut68and @alison- music theory syllabuses have changed a huge deal in the last 20 years. Grade 6 to 8 theory is almost like A level or a mini degree now whereas 20-25 years ago they were simpler, more fun and you could fit it all in between GCSEs. However, Grade 1-5 theory is now more practical and simpler (and includes alto and tenor clefs!- very wise) and you can actually teach it to yourself (there's a fun series of books)....so no need to rely on a 'dry' teacher.

With regards the pop in Key Stage 2, 3 and GCSE, the problem is that in trying to force a mishmash of topics at GCSE they end up losing a lot of students who previously would have been the very candidates that picked GCSE Music. If they were options then students can flourish in the topics they've clearly worked hard on- just like there are options in history (although the school department picks the history ones rather than the students). From what the course brochures and other students have told me, A level music seems to be more classically oriented and the ones who pick it tend to be aiming for a university degree in music.

Of course, neither a university degree nor A level (or indeed GCSE) in music are necessary to be a performer- you're hired on your performance at audition and not because of a certificate (and for some performers their audition is their  performances at a competition or a public concert). The GCSE and A level is really for those keen to study it as an academic degree.

Perhaps in future they might offer A levels with rock/pop and jazz options (with the A level stipulating their focus) instead of just classical, to encourage a wider range of talent and more students to study it. Anyway, back to the ballet miscellany. 😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Maybe I’ll add taking my grade 5 theory of music to my ‘bucket list’…. I ticked off  taking RAD Intermediate ballet a few years ago (almost 35 years after doing the old elementary 😮😂) so perhaps this could be next 🤔

Go for it, @Peanut68- you really don't need a teacher unless you wish to The Ying Ying Ng books are brilliant - so clearly explained. t's now taken online and there are past papers with solutions to help you practise too. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

Our class was taken every year to the Festival Hall for a schools' concert. Early 1970s. We also had music lessons and a school orchestra, every class learned dancing including some basic ballet, and we had Art Appreciation, with nicely-bound folder/booklet things containing colour plates and info on both the works shown and the artist's bio, one per artist.

Them were the days.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Though some may not realise this was just its ROH premiere - it was already 10 years old.

Premiered in fact in France!

https://www.rohcollections.org.uk/work.aspx?work=514

Ballet: Work details

Choreographer: Ninette de Valois
Composer: Arthur Bliss
Music title: Checkmate (1937)
Work definition: Ballet in one scene with prologue
World premiere: 15 June 1937, The Vic-Wells Ballet, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Paris
ROH premiere: 18 November 1947, Sadler's Wells Ballet
ROH company premiere: 15 June 1937, The Vic-Wells Ballet, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Paris

It would be good to have a revival. If anyone wishes to see it, YouTube will oblige. 

• Like 3

Actual birthday of Checkmate- 15 June 1937....in Paris! (Théâtre des Champs-Éysées), so wiki tells me! Same birthday as one of my friends (different year 😀 ). I think a triple bill for next season with Checkmate and Les Biches would be très chic. Just one more ballet to make it a triple bill- Les Noces? Or Les Sylphides? Shall we have a vote? 

A) Les Biches, Checkmate, Les Noces

B.) Les Sylphides, Les Biches, Checkmate

C) Awful! None of the above. 

D) Do not make me choose- I want all four. Do the triple bill twice in the season and have both A & B.

😉

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Haha! Ondine beat me to the French birthday of Checkmate while I got carried away by the wish list. 😄 

I am voting D  😀

I want all four too, but I'd rather they weren't combined in what would no doubt be described as some sort of 'heritage' bill. They deserve to be programmed as part of the standard repertoire, not as historical curiosities. 

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I want all four too, but I'd rather they weren't combined in what would no doubt be described as some sort of 'heritage' bill. They deserve to be programmed as part of the standard repertoire, not historical curiosities. 

I'd be happy to see them with anything, as long as they get programmed. Oh wait, maybe not with Corybantic Games....I have my limits!  🤣 Polyphonia, Fool's Paradise or Electric Counterpoint instead would be fine- I geherally like most of Wheeldon's short ballets. Just not all of them!

Just now, Ondine said:

Add some Massine and Balanchine?

Nothing wrong with 'heritage' works!

Yes, Yes and Not at all! I just don't like them being pigeonholed like that. (KOH does tend to talk about 'heritage' works as if they're something rarefied and outside the mainstream. If they were programmed regularly, they would be part of the creative present too, which is precisely where they belong.)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

So Ondine is voting B? Or D?  

I'd like Les Noces too, but I think B.

Les Noces could be in a bill with some Ashton, as he was taught by / worked with / was influenced by Nijinska.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

I'd like Les Noce too, but I think B.

Les Noces could be a a bill with some Ashton, as he was taught by / worked with / was influenced by Nijinska.

Yes - as I've mentioned on the forum before (apologies!), my first ever ballet performance was Enigma Variations/Symphonic Variations/Les Noces. No wonder I got hooked! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Three choreographers who danced for Diaghilev?

Actually, it was “three classics with a Paris connection”- Les Sylphides was first performed under the name of Les Sylphides in Paris, and under the name of Chopiniana at the Mariinsky a bit earlier. Strictly one for the geeks I guess....lol. They are also 20th century classics. I must check again to see if Fokine made any changes after its Mariinsky premiere before presenting it in Paris. I have this inkling that he did but must check again.