A 'ballet/dance miscellany' thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, MAB said:

Marc Platt

You win MAB! Sadly the YouTube extracts of Platt in the Hollywood film Tonight And Every Night stop before the Hitler section so one needs to find a copy of the whole movie to see this remarkable sequence in full. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2024 at 12:41, Geoff said:

Sadly the YouTube extracts of Platt in the Hollywood film Tonight And Every Night stop before the Hitler section so one needs to find a copy of the whole movie to see this remarkable sequence in full. 

You can buy one here - Tonight and Every Night [1945] [DVD]  https://www.vicpine.co.uk/Tonight-And-Every-Night.htm

The feeble plot involves red-headed Rita falling for pilot Lee Bowman and blonde Janet Blair for dancer Marc Platt. Platt was a weak actor but a good dancer; here he has a bizarre number in which he mimes to one of Hitler's speeches.

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

While we’re still remembering Giselle here is a short clip of Carla Fracci:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2VCgQKtmvU/?igsh=MWhyN2kwajh3OHo0Yg==

Carla Fracci was a  beautiful dancer, though it's difficult to really believe she's an unsophisticated girl of tender years and she didn't immediately appreciate that Albrecht was perhaps not all he pretended, 

• 4 weeks later...

I will be helping a friend with her three Borzoi backstage at a performance of Giselle by the Grand Kyiv Ballet of Ukraine on March 13. I'm hoping to get some decent photos (if allowed). Might be a circus, as one of the zois is a 10 month old puppy who thinks he is a kangaroo! I have visions of him jumping on the table where the Duke and Bathilde are enjoying their refreshments. Kidding! We'll have a tight hold on him. I will give a debriefing and post photos if I get any decent ones. 

Edited by zxDaveM
edit to remove photo, as per member's request
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

On an Easter theme, can anyone ascertain if this is a real step? 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5Ju9UXy-Q5/?igsh=MTk4dmtrbDZneDl4bA==

Ha! Well he's doing it (and very elegant it is) so it's 'real'...  and I suppose it can be broken into component parts. What larks! 

Pas de lapin tr. 'no bunny'. And I don't think a pas known to be handed down from Pierre Beauchamp or Carlo Blasis and but who knows? 

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ummm, I thought this was an April Fool!

The dancer featured is based in Queensland, I think, so almost 12 hours ahead of us here in the UK. 

But he dances the step sooooo beautifully!

• Like 3

How have I missed 'internet sensation'  'YouTube dancing star' Audrey Nethery so far in my life?  

Kudos to New York City Ballet dancers and of course, Audrey! 🩰

There's apparently a whole lot more Audrey to catch up with... 

(More about Audrey here. She's grown since her Sugar Plum debut!  https://www.youtube.com/@scottnethery9414/videos

Edited by Roberta

On 27/02/2024 at 10:45, Sim said:

I very much look forward to hearing your report from front and back stage!!  :)

Well, the performance did not go on because the truck carrying the costumes and scenery was involved in an accident on the freeway. There were no human injuries, thank goodness, but the truck was damaged and would not be able to make it to the theatre in time for the performance. We arrived at the theatre, as per instructions, at 3:00 p.m.. Baby Pumpkin got loose in the parking garage (which gave us a minor heart attack), but he was retrieved without incident. We had to walk a couple of blocks to the theatre. A parade of two frazzled ladies with three giant Borzois is not something downtown Fort Pierce sees every day! We caused a couple of traffic jams and arrived at the theatre in time to see a group of beautiful young people (the dancers!) preparing to board a bus. They went crazy when they saw the dogs and one girl had tears in her eyes. My heart went out to them, as they were so far from home. They all wanted photos with the dogs, so we put their jeweled collars on them and had a field day snapping photos. It was an enjoyable afternoon and made up (somewhat) for the disappointment about the performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...