Morning! 

I’m new here so I hope I’ve posted this question in the right place :)

I am hoping to take my 8 year old to see the Nutcracker this Christmas.  It’s a special treat so I’d really like to get the best possible seats so she can see everything.  I’m thinking a matinee show so it’s not too late.  

i wondered where people would recommend sitting with a younger child? I imagine she might end up with someone tall in front of her if we sat in the stalls.  And do the matinee tickets sell out very quickly on release day? Is it worth doing the tour as well?

would really appreciate any advice!  This is very new territory for me as she pulls me into her ballet world! 

thank you 

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most important factors in terms of choosing the right seat is knowing what you would be prepared to pay. Top price tickets are £160 but there are some great places to sit across the auditorium, so set this first and it should be easier to advise!

If money is no object, I'd suggest front row of Stalls Circle/Grand Tier/Balcony depending on what's available when you book, sitting as centrally as possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blossom said:

One of the most important factors in terms of choosing the right seat is knowing what you would be prepared to pay. Top price tickets are £160 but there are some great places to sit across the auditorium, so set this first and it should be easier to advise!

If money is no object, I'd suggest front row of Stalls Circle/Grand Tier/Balcony depending on what's available when you book, sitting as centrally as possible.

Thank you this is very helpful.  When I looked at the ROH price list the matinee tickets were a lot less (stalls circles were £90 for the nutcracker matinee - unless I’ve looked at an outdated price list which is quite possible!) I’d be happy to pay that sort of price - £160 might be a push (especially if she falls asleep in the second act lol)

Hi Tiptoesmama. Hope you and your daughter have a great time. I would never advise anyone taking small children to sit in the stalls unless they're on the end of a row or on the front row and then they may be too close with the height of the stage to see properly. Probably the only stalls seats would be the side blocks on row H as they have an exit in front of them, therefore a gap rather than people. But there are only a few of these and they tend to sell out quickly. I would try and go for the front row of the stalls circle. You are raised above the stalls and should have no one directly in front of you so sightlines shouldn't be an issue. However, I haven't sat in them myself (I usually sit in the third row as it's cheaper). It also depends how much you want to pay. There are several prices for the front row Nutcracker; £160, £153 and £145. Unfortunately, no child discounts. The more expensive ones are more central and you get a more comprehensive view of the stage. However, because of the horseshoe shaped size of the auditorium the more central you are the further away you are from the stage. The cheaper seats are nearer but you may miss a little bit of the side of the stage. It's always a balance between being close to the action and seeing all of the stage. The £153 seats should be fine on both counts if you want to be a bit nearer, but others may be able to be more informative as it's a while since I've seen the Nutcracker at the ROH. Usually see it at the cinema. Do you have a particular date in mind? It's just I've had a quick look at a couple of the matinees and because they're so close to Christmas a lot of the front row stalls circle and grand tier have sold out already. If you're waiting for public booking I'd get in quick and try and be flexible with your dates. Even second row of the SC should be OK and you can always borrow one of the ROH cushions or take your own.

I've been on the backstage tour a couple of times and enjoyed it but the last time was a few years ago. Both times I went in the morning and had a brief glimpse of company class though I don't know if you went in the afternoon you might see rehearsals. It is only a few minutes but interesting. Your daughter might be interested in attending one of the onstage classes open to the public (check dates with website or box office) or the Nutcracker Insight Tues 21st Dec at 7.30. Or one of the Thurrock Tours of sets and costumes. This is just outside London and I don't think winter dates have been announced yet but again, check the box office or email customer services.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tiptoesmama said:

Thank you this is very helpful.  When I looked at the ROH price list the matinee tickets were a lot less (stalls circles were £90 for the nutcracker matinee - unless I’ve looked at an outdated price list which is quite possible!) I’d be happy to pay that sort of price - £160 might be a push (especially if she falls asleep in the second act lol)

Here's a seat map for the current production - this is for the 1 Jan matinee.

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=54527

You should be able to see the view from the seats which doesn't quite take into account heads infront of you but is a big help.

If you were to take row B or C to reduce the cost a little,  bear in mind that if you sit centrally, you will be fine view wise. The 'rings' are better than stalls from this perspective as there are fewer rows to negotiate if you are further back.

Welcome to the forum, Tiptoesmama.

I can't access the seat prices for the Nutcracker: all I get is the (completely unsold) layout for the Paul Hamlyn matinee, whichever performance I click on.  However, since you are a first-timer, could you sign up for Paul Hamlyn performances, or whatever it is, which are aimed specifically at first-timers - if the date (December 9th matinee) suits?  The seats would be far cheaper!  I imagine you'd need to be quick, though, as public booking starts on Wednesday and you'd need to have everything in place by then, I assume.

Here's a link, although it mentions a performance on 17th December.  I don't think it would be restricted to NHS workers, regardless of what it says there:

https://www.roh.org.uk/learning/families/paul-hamlyn-christmas-treat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m planning on taking my child to the RB Nutcracker this year as it does look extra magical, but just wondered if you’d considered the ENB version at the Coliseum? You can get much better seats for a fraction of the price and children are half price.  I took my child last year as their first ballet and they loved it and we had a great view.  I’ve subsequently introduced them to the Royal Ballet, but as a first ballet for a child, the Coliseum is a beautiful venue and exciting experience (popcorn munchers notwithstanding).

My child has only sat in the Amphitheatre so far, and whilst you get a clear view of the stage, it is very far away and feels a bit remote.  I was considering the side part of the stalls, if I can get them, but now I’m wondering if they won’t see so well.

• Like 4

Guest oncnp

Here, I hope, is 27 Dec 1330 to give you an idea of the prices.  And if I remember correctly there was a Nutcracker tour esp for kids last year so you might want to keep an eye out for that

image.thumb.png.edde9109f19d52bb580ce9959d731f2b.png

Edited by oncnp

Thanks.  How strange.  I still get 9th December matinee for that one, with a non-functioning dropdown list.

Worth mentioning, as well, that experience suggests that post-Christmas and New Year Nutcrackers tend to sell less quickly.

Guest oncnp
14 minutes ago, alison said:

Thanks.  How strange.  I still get 9th December matinee for that one, with a non-functioning dropdown list.

Worth mentioning, as well, that experience suggests that post-Christmas and New Year Nutcrackers tend to sell less quickly.

You might have been caught by the dreaded "Essential Maintenance" banner. They had finished when I checked. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Hi Tiptoesmama. Hope you and your daughter have a great time. I would never advise anyone taking small children to sit in the stalls unless they're on the end of a row or on the front row and then they may be too close with the height of the stage to see properly. Probably the only stalls seats would be the side blocks on row H as they have an exit in front of them, therefore a gap rather than people. But there are only a few of these and they tend to sell out quickly. I would try and go for the front row of the stalls circle. You are raised above the stalls and should have no one directly in front of you so sightlines shouldn't be an issue. However, I haven't sat in them myself (I usually sit in the third row as it's cheaper). It also depends how much you want to pay. There are several prices for the front row Nutcracker; £160, £153 and £145. Unfortunately, no child discounts. The more expensive ones are more central and you get a more comprehensive view of the stage. However, because of the horseshoe shaped size of the auditorium the more central you are the further away you are from the stage. The cheaper seats are nearer but you may miss a little bit of the side of the stage. It's always a balance between being close to the action and seeing all of the stage. The £153 seats should be fine on both counts if you want to be a bit nearer, but others may be able to be more informative as it's a while since I've seen the Nutcracker at the ROH. Usually see it at the cinema. Do you have a particular date in mind? It's just I've had a quick look at a couple of the matinees and because they're so close to Christmas a lot of the front row stalls circle and grand tier have sold out already. If you're waiting for public booking I'd get in quick and try and be flexible with your dates. Even second row of the SC should be OK and you can always borrow one of the ROH cushions or take your own.

I've been on the backstage tour a couple of times and enjoyed it but the last time was a few years ago. Both times I went in the morning and had a brief glimpse of company class though I don't know if you went in the afternoon you might see rehearsals. It is only a few minutes but interesting. Your daughter might be interested in attending one of the onstage classes open to the public (check dates with website or box office) or the Nutcracker Insight Tues 21st Dec at 7.30. Or one of the Thurrock Tours of sets and costumes. This is just outside London and I don't think winter dates have been announced yet but again, check the box office or email customer services.

This is so helpful thank you - I did wonder about being on the side so slightly closer to the action! I think she’d probably like to see faces more than overall choreography at that age.  Rather naively I was hoping for 23rd Dec matinee because of the cast - but I guess that one would be the most likely to sell out quickly.  I’m not a member so need to wait for the general sale on 2nd august.  I’ll look at the insight dates as well - thank you so much!  

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, Tiptoesmama said:

This is so helpful thank you - I did wonder about being on the side so slightly closer to the action! I think she’d probably like to see faces more than overall choreography at that age.  Rather naively I was hoping for 23rd Dec matinee because of the cast - but I guess that one would be the most likely to sell out quickly.  I’m not a member so need to wait for the general sale on 2nd august.  I’ll look at the insight dates as well - thank you so much!  

The Nutcracker Insight is showing sold out at the moment. I don't know if they hold seats back for public booking. If you do decide you'd like to go PM me. I may be able to help. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

Welcome to the forum, Tiptoesmama.

I can't access the seat prices for the Nutcracker: all I get is the (completely unsold) layout for the Paul Hamlyn matinee, whichever performance I click on.  However, since you are a first-timer, could you sign up for Paul Hamlyn performances, or whatever it is, which are aimed specifically at first-timers - if the date (December 9th matinee) suits?  The seats would be far cheaper!  I imagine you'd need to be quick, though, as public booking starts on Wednesday and you'd need to have everything in place by then, I assume.

Here's a link, although it mentions a performance on 17th December.  I don't think it would be restricted to NHS workers, regardless of what it says there:

https://www.roh.org.uk/learning/families/paul-hamlyn-christmas-treat

What does the Paul Hamlyn matinee involve? Thank you - will have a look! 

1 hour ago, OnePigeon said:

I’m planning on taking my child to the RB Nutcracker this year as it does look extra magical, but just wondered if you’d considered the ENB version at the Coliseum? You can get much better seats for a fraction of the price and children are half price.  I took my child last year as their first ballet and they loved it and we had a great view.  I’ve subsequently introduced them to the Royal Ballet, but as a first ballet for a child, the Coliseum is a beautiful venue and exciting experience (popcorn munchers notwithstanding).

My child has only sat in the Amphitheatre so far, and whilst you get a clear view of the stage, it is very far away and feels a bit remote.  I was considering the side part of the stalls, if I can get them, but now I’m wondering if they won’t see so well.

Ah thank you i might have a look at this as well! Really helpful x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiptoesmama said:

£160 might be a push (especially if she falls asleep in the second act lol)

I would suggest the front row of the stalls circle, second most expensive price. All risk of having her sight blocked must be avoided.  Just imagine how disappointing it would be.  If your daughter is likely to fall asleep in the second act (which has some of the best bits!) maybe you shouldn't squeeze in a tour as well, which would be even more tiring.  However I do think the ENB Coliseum nutcracker is much, much better value.

Although your daughter is young, I bet this wonderful experience will be remembered for the whole of her life!

• Like 3

Yes, I’d second signing up for Paul Hamlyn matinees if registration is still open.  When my daughter was little they were called “Welcome Performances” or something similar, but the premise is still the same.  

They’re matinée performances for families who have never been to a main stage performance before; all the tickets are a fraction of their usual price, during the intervals they used to leave the curtains open so the set changes and behind the scenes goings-on were visible, and you could even eat ice cream in the auditorium!  Back then you could sign up and see one opera and one ballet, so we took dd to see Giselle (with Cojocaru and Kobborg, dream cast ❤️) and then La Bohème a few months later.

If registration isn’t open, you don’t want to see Nutcracker at the cinema, and/or you have a specific date in mind, then I would definitely recommend row A of Stalls Circle, or row A of the Grand Tier. Row A of the Orchestra Stalls with a cushion might be ok if dd’s not absolutely tiny height-wise, although you are looking up slightly at the stage, but it’s fun to look down at the Orchestra (don’t sit right behind the Conductor though).  Row A Balcony is good but I’d say it’s better for Swan Lake than Nutcracker, where you need to be able to see faces and what’s going on onstage, especially during Act 1.  

If you’re going for Stalls Circle, you can miss quite a bit of action if you are too far round either side, so I always try to avoid A4-18-ish and A97-111.  And A43 is sometimes sold as Restricted View because an ROH Usher often sits in front of you, so I avoid that now.  My favourite SC seats are A25-42 and 71-88.

Your other option for a “first Nutcracker”, especially if you can sign up for Paul Hamlyn performances at the ROH, is ENB at the Coliseum or (if they’re doing it this year), BRB at the Royal Albert Hall.  I prefer BRB’s Nut to ENB’s current one, but that’s just me. ☺️

• Like 2

Does anybody find those “seat maps for pricing” actually work!! 
Occasionally a price will come up but usually just says not yet for sale….yes I know that….or seat not reserved until in basket etc etc. 

It seems you can’t find out the prices until the booking period is open to you anyway. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Does anybody find those “seat maps for pricing” actually work!! 
Occasionally a price will come up but usually just says not yet for sale….yes I know that….or seat not reserved until in basket etc etc. 

It seems you can’t find out the prices until the booking period is open to you anyway. 

They used to but not this booking period

1 hour ago, alison said:

I'm pretty certain BRB aren't coming to the Albert Hall this year.

Shame, I don’t love the RAH for ballet (except for Swan Lake in the round) but that was a lovely production.

2 hours ago, alison said:

I'm pretty certain BRB aren't coming to the Albert Hall this year.

from the BRB newsletter dated 22/06/23

The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall

We're taking a year off from performing The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall this December, but very much hope to be back in 2024. If you're worried about missing your hit of festive magic, we'd urge you to come and see Sir Peter Wright's original production in Birmingham, as it returns to the stage in November. From the magical growing Christmas tree to Clara’s voyage on the Snow Goose, this spectacular production (restaged last year  after a £ 1 million refurbishment) is unarguably one of the finest in the world. 

Condé Nast Traveller recently voted Birmingham as one of the Top Ten cities to visit in the UK, so if you live further afield, why not make a trip of it and enjoy the German Market and some of the world-class restaurants that fill our home city.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tiptoesmama said:

Morning! 

I’m new here so I hope I’ve posted this question in the right place :)

I am hoping to take my 8 year old to see the Nutcracker this Christmas.  It’s a special treat so I’d really like to get the best possible seats so she can see everything.  I’m thinking a matinee show so it’s not too late.  

i wondered where people would recommend sitting with a younger child? I imagine she might end up with someone tall in front of her if we sat in the stalls.  And do the matinee tickets sell out very quickly on release day? Is it worth doing the tour as well?

would really appreciate any advice!  This is very new territory for me as she pulls me into her ballet world! 

thank you 

Hi @Tiptoesmama! What a wonderful treat! I have memories of taking a 4 year old (back in the days when the minimum cut off age for attending was a  bit lower than it is now) and later an 8 year old for their first ballets by the Royal Ballet at ROH- Nutcracker for the 4 year old and La Sylphide for the 8 year old, and they both loved it. There’s also Nutcracker by English National Ballet at the Coliseum. I too remember my first visit to Royal Ballet and ENB although I was a lot older than 8 at the time.

I’m going to be quite radical but I believe this has been proven to be true repeatedly- by several different children (of different ages) in our extended family and among friends: don’t do what most adult fans would do by going for the most central view.

Instead choose the front row, whether that’s amphitheatre, balcony, grand tier or stalls circle at the ROH, or Upper Circle or Dress Circle at London Coliseum. I would also suggest choosing seats more to the sides if the central seats are sold out, rather than going a few rows back. Don’t choose rows B to D or anything behind A in the Stalls circle or Balcony in ROH because you can still be blocked by taller patrons (even as an adult) and the ceiling of the Stalls circle (the grand tier overhang) gives a rather claustrophobic feeling to younger children and they wouldn’t enjoy it as much (especially at that price). Tried it twice and it was an unfortunate waste of money and time when they are under 13 and not yet tall enough.

Don’t select the seats that are right at the side of the ROH which are less than 8 seats away from the stage because the view of some of the dancing and action gets cut off. This includes the two grand tier boxes and balcony boxes nearest the stage and sides (eg balcony box 100, 101, 67 etc) but apart from those ones, the boxes at the ROH were really well liked by the kids because they saw the orchestra as well as being close to the action and found that really magical and thrilling. (Adult dance fans like to see a ballet facing straight on and don’t like the boxes as much, but unless your child has been watching ballet for years, that doesn’t always translate to the most enjoyable first time experience for children). 

At ROH and Coliseum, the auditorium curves around the stage, so the seats nearer the sides (eg boxes at Coliseum and the Stalls circle and Amphitheatre sides at ROH) are closer to the action than the most central seats in that row.

I really recommend getting the front row. I would move up to a cheaper section than to pay more to sit further back.  At that age, all the kids I’ve taken didn’t like sitting on the cushions when offered because they squeak a bit sometimes and one child told me “I don’t want to sit on one because it makes feel like a baby and I’m not”. (They are plastic air filled inflatables rather than cloth cushions like we have in our homes, so don’t be misled into thinking they are quite luxurious and comfy!). One child had to sit on something in order to see anything so we ended up putting  our coats together  to make a temporary “cushion”  to sit on which was more comfortable and didn’t squeak. 

I’ve taken different children to different parts of the ROH and Coliseum, and the consensus was that the nearer the front the better , even if the view was slightly to the side (as long as it wasn’t severely restricted like in the halves of the upper and lower slips at the ROH nearest the sides of the stage). None of the children cared that it wasn’t a central view- they have no previous frame of reference, and were more comfortable when not blocked by other patrons. 

I don’t recommend the ROH Orchestra Stalls or Coliseum Stalls at all for children until they are at least in their teens. If you buy front row Stalls (A to E) at ROH the feet are cut off from your view by the safety grate over the orchestra, and further back there are taller patrons blocking their view, and it can feel claustrophobic. The feet aren’t so badly cut off at the Coliseum but you still don’t get an ideal view of the action at the back.  For the same top price, the dress circle at the Coliseum and at ROH, grand tier or first row balcony give much better views. The areas that the children enjoyed the most was actually from the grand tier and balcony boxes (just don’t pick the two closest to the stage) when we went in a group of four,  and front row ROH amphitheatre or Balcony sides or Coliseum front row upper circle. 

One thing more- this should not matter in principle but unfortunately it has happened a few times so I have to say it. Occasionally I have saved up for ages and paid for what should be in principle a great treat and civilised experience, to buy the most central seats in the Orchestra Stalls and central seats in front row Balcony Circle Centre at ROH, and found ourselves seated in front of patrons who were jealous that a child (very well behaved) was in front of them and made unpleasant snide comments to us at the interval or the end, or couldn’t stop interrupting us at the interval with unwanted and unsolicited comments about “is the child TRULY enjoying it or just being dragged along”. I can see they resent us sitting there - I’m not sure what they want us to do....give them our seats and go home?! (Maybe!) I’ve never had this problem in the cheaper seats higher up or nearer the sides - maybe the friendlier people don’t buy the centre. It’s happened more than once so just a small warning especially if it’s your daughter’s first experience. 

NB the balcony (tallest tier) at the Coliseum is the equivalent of the amphitheatre at ROH (confusingly the ROH balcony level is not the tallest tier and is actually quite a good tier to sit in) and the seats are quite hard (not padded) and unless you're very tall, the front few rows can be blocked by the lighting rigging so I don’t recommend it for children (it’s ok for tall adults). If budget is an issue, I would pick upper circle sides at the Coliseum or just choose the ROH single row lower slips (A22-28, or A86-92) instead.

The booking period for ROH opens on 2 August, at the Coliseum it already opened months ago. The matinees are as good as the evening performances  for both companies and there is no guarantee which one sells out faster (weekday shows tend to sell more slowly than Friday, Saturday and Sunday shows). I wouldn’t worry about casting - even though I’m choosy myself because I’ve already seen over 50 Nutcrackers and don’t want to have a repeat of the exact same cast- they will all be great when you both go for the first time, as I found when I went first time.  Choose the timing and date that suits you best in terms of travel, child dining times/bedtimes, and for convenience, and which show you can get seats in the front for. It doesn’t sell out immediately- I’d book by mid August for ROH, but not leave it as late as October, and for ENB you can book now. 

Re: ROH and Coliseum tours- I went on one many years ago and it was good fun to go behind the scenes. Also, the staff are very welcoming and lovely during the tour. Worth going if your daughter would enjoy learning about  theatre and has never been on a backstage tour before. It’s not necessary to go on one to enjoy Nutcracker though! PS because the groups for the tours are small and they don’t offer them frequently, I often find (when browsing the website) that the tours sell out faster than Nutcracker shows themselves! 😊

Enjoy the show, whichever you pick, and if you wish to, do let us know how it all went.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two points I'd pick up on what Emeralds has just written:

There may be some special Nutcracker-themed tours at that time of year (or you may get one thrown in if you make it to the Hamlyn performance).

Most of the booster cushions in the past have indeed been of the inflatable plastic variety, but recently I've seen some swisher black ones - I don't know if anyone can enlighten us further?

• Like 2

I’ve taken a child with their own car booster seat (the sort that are just a base…. Not a full one that looks like a whole racing car seat 😂) so they are already ‘at home’ with how the seat feels so less distracting shuffling for all!

One thought…. Be careful if you do go for a fabulously expensive wonderful position seat as you may just find your young person gets rather a high taste & expects this sort of treat all the time!!

My first ever experience of flying was in First Class (I was flying as a paid nanny with a family…) 

It was a bit of a shock to discover what ‘cattle class’ was like years later when I first flew on my own dime!! 

A lovely thing to do - have a wonderful time!!

one final thought….what about extending to more family members/friends & share a box? If so, I’d highly recommend the Coliseum as I think I’m right in remembering they have dress circle or stalks circle boxes that span the whole circle so you can get a centrally placed one to get a terrific view & amazing special experience!! And you can I believe enjoy more personalised hospitality (can take in your bottle of wine & proper glasses) And oh the joy of people watching…. & indeed of ‘being watched’ & feeling ‘super special’ in a box like Royalty!! 
Think I’m talking myself into looking to book this again myself now - ha ha!! 😘

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Hi @Tiptoesmama! What a wonderful treat! I have memories of taking a 4 year old (back in the days when the minimum cut off age for attending was a  bit lower than it is now) and later an 8 year old for their first ballets by the Royal Ballet at ROH- Nutcracker for the 4 year old and La Sylphide for the 8 year old, and they both loved it. There’s also Nutcracker by English National Ballet at the Coliseum. I too remember my first visit to Royal Ballet and ENB although I was a lot older than 8 at the time.

I’m going to be quite radical but I believe this has been proven to be true repeatedly- by several different children (of different ages) in our extended family and among friends: don’t do what most adult fans would do by going for the most central view.

Instead choose the front row, whether that’s amphitheatre, balcony, grand tier or stalls circle at the ROH, or Upper Circle or Dress Circle at London Coliseum. I would also suggest choosing seats more to the sides if the central seats are sold out, rather than going a few rows back. Don’t choose rows B to D or anything behind A in the Stalls circle or Balcony in ROH because you can still be blocked by taller patrons (even as an adult) and the ceiling of the Stalls circle (the grand tier overhang) gives a rather claustrophobic feeling to younger children and they wouldn’t enjoy it as much (especially at that price). Tried it twice and it was an unfortunate waste of money and time when they are under 13 and not yet tall enough.

Don’t select the seats that are right at the side of the ROH which are less than 8 seats away from the stage because the view of some of the dancing and action gets cut off. This includes the two grand tier boxes and balcony boxes nearest the stage and sides (eg balcony box 100, 101, 67 etc) but apart from those ones, the boxes at the ROH were really well liked by the kids because they saw the orchestra as well as being close to the action and found that really magical and thrilling. (Adult dance fans like to see a ballet facing straight on and don’t like the boxes as much, but unless your child has been watching ballet for years, that doesn’t always translate to the most enjoyable first time experience for children). 

At ROH and Coliseum, the auditorium curves around the stage, so the seats nearer the sides (eg boxes at Coliseum and the Stalls circle and Amphitheatre sides at ROH) are closer to the action than the most central seats in that row.

I really recommend getting the front row. I would move up to a cheaper section than to pay more to sit further back.  At that age, all the kids I’ve taken didn’t like sitting on the cushions when offered because they squeak a bit sometimes and one child told me “I don’t want to sit on one because it makes feel like a baby and I’m not”. (They are plastic air filled inflatables rather than cloth cushions like we have in our homes, so don’t be misled into thinking they are quite luxurious and comfy!). One child had to sit on something in order to see anything so we ended up putting  our coats together  to make a temporary “cushion”  to sit on which was more comfortable and didn’t squeak. 

I’ve taken different children to different parts of the ROH and Coliseum, and the consensus was that the nearer the front the better , even if the view was slightly to the side (as long as it wasn’t severely restricted like in the halves of the upper and lower slips at the ROH nearest the sides of the stage). None of the children cared that it wasn’t a central view- they have no previous frame of reference, and were more comfortable when not blocked by other patrons. 

I don’t recommend the ROH Orchestra Stalls or Coliseum Stalls at all for children until they are at least in their teens. If you buy front row Stalls (A to E) at ROH the feet are cut off from your view by the safety grate over the orchestra, and further back there are taller patrons blocking their view, and it can feel claustrophobic. The feet aren’t so badly cut off at the Coliseum but you still don’t get an ideal view of the action at the back.  For the same top price, the dress circle at the Coliseum and at ROH, grand tier or first row balcony give much better views. The areas that the children enjoyed the most was actually from the grand tier and balcony boxes (just don’t pick the two closest to the stage) when we went in a group of four,  and front row ROH amphitheatre or Balcony sides or Coliseum front row upper circle. 

One thing more- this should not matter in principle but unfortunately it has happened a few times so I have to say it. Occasionally I have saved up for ages and paid for what should be in principle a great treat and civilised experience, to buy the most central seats in the Orchestra Stalls and central seats in front row Balcony Circle Centre at ROH, and found ourselves seated in front of patrons who were jealous that a child (very well behaved) was in front of them and made unpleasant snide comments to us at the interval or the end, or couldn’t stop interrupting us at the interval with unwanted and unsolicited comments about “is the child TRULY enjoying it or just being dragged along”. I can see they resent us sitting there - I’m not sure what they want us to do....give them our seats and go home?! (Maybe!) I’ve never had this problem in the cheaper seats higher up or nearer the sides - maybe the friendlier people don’t buy the centre. It’s happened more than once so just a small warning especially if it’s your daughter’s first experience. 

NB the balcony (tallest tier) at the Coliseum is the equivalent of the amphitheatre at ROH (confusingly the ROH balcony level is not the tallest tier and is actually quite a good tier to sit in) and the seats are quite hard (not padded) and unless you're very tall, the front few rows can be blocked by the lighting rigging so I don’t recommend it for children (it’s ok for tall adults). If budget is an issue, I would pick upper circle sides at the Coliseum or just choose the ROH single row lower slips (A22-28, or A86-92) instead.

The booking period for ROH opens on 2 August, at the Coliseum it already opened months ago. The matinees are as good as the evening performances  for both companies and there is no guarantee which one sells out faster (weekday shows tend to sell more slowly than Friday, Saturday and Sunday shows). I wouldn’t worry about casting - even though I’m choosy myself because I’ve already seen over 50 Nutcrackers and don’t want to have a repeat of the exact same cast- they will all be great when you both go for the first time, as I found when I went first time.  Choose the timing and date that suits you best in terms of travel, child dining times/bedtimes, and for convenience, and which show you can get seats in the front for. It doesn’t sell out immediately- I’d book by mid August for ROH, but not leave it as late as October, and for ENB you can book now. 

Re: ROH and Coliseum tours- I went on one many years ago and it was good fun to go behind the scenes. Also, the staff are very welcoming and lovely during the tour. Worth going if your daughter would enjoy learning about  theatre and has never been on a backstage tour before. It’s not necessary to go on one to enjoy Nutcracker though! PS because the groups for the tours are small and they don’t offer them frequently, I often find (when browsing the website) that the tours sell out faster than Nutcracker shows themselves! 😊

Enjoy the show, whichever you pick, and if you wish to, do let us know how it all went.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply, this is so helpful.  We’ve already decided we’re going to get really dressed up and make it a special day - might even pretend she’s famous in preparation for any snide remarks (what is wrong with people?!)  

• Like 1

Just to add  what Peanut68 said about the Coliseum boxes- if you can find two other family or friends to join you, the Coliseum boxes have slightly better sight lines than the ROH ones. The ROH boxes have slightly restricted views for the people sitting in the taller seats behind, while Coliseum ones were big enough and stick out so all four can have a decent view. NB don’t be tempted to share a box at the Coliseum with strangers-buy all the seats and have close friends/family go along. At ROH you have to buy all four seats  anyway- they won’t split up a box.  Ooh, @alison, I haven’t seen the black ones yet- don’t know if they have enough for everyone on a Nutcracker day? I think front row is safer- the inflatables also look a bit slippery and easy to fall off! (One of the kids did slide off once!)

I'd also advise that if you do a tour, don’t do it on the same day as the performance- one will diminish the other. There’s quite a lot of walking around on the tour and a lot to take in, especially if you are under 10 and it’s all very novel and exciting. By the time the tour is finished, they are ready for a hot meal and home (but they will have enjoyed and remembered lots)- treat it like going sightseeing at a museum or zoo and don’t try to squeeze both in on the same day. The Nutcracker itself is quite a heady and exhilarating experience on its own if you are small, and though it feels like a short ballet for adults used to long movies or plays, it’s quite a lot for a first timer and child to take in, so do the show and tour on different days (I’d suggest even different weeks) to get maximum enjoyment of both. None of the children we took fell asleep at Nutcracker, but Giselle  has been known to lull a few to sleep (it’s that dark forest in Act 2!) 

The Insights are lovely for veteran dancegoers and advanced students, but I’d probably wait a few more years after your daughter has studied a bit more dance to attend one in person; I think it will be more interesting for her and you that way. They’re not usually pitched for under 12s so she might find the “rehearse and stop, dance a bit and talk” nature of it not as interesting as a teenage student might. If you have a look on YouTube under the Royal Opera House account, I think they have some full and partial recordings of previous Insights, including Nutcracker (eg with Gasparini and Yudes as Clara & Nutcracker, and another where they rehearsed the Soldier and Vivandiere dolls’ dance) .....perhaps if your daughter enjoys watching them from start to finish, she might like to attend one entire one in person (they are not long, but they can feel quite like a specialised interest talk). I’d definitely say just going for the performance itself is fine, plus maybe if she’s allowed to buy a treat, a little browse in the shop after the matinee and go through Covent Garden Piazza to enjoy the Christmas sights, smells and treats. 😊🎁🧁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I’ve taken a child with their own car booster seat (the sort that are just a base…. Not a full one that looks like a whole racing car seat 😂) so they are already ‘at home’ with how the seat feels so less distracting shuffling for all!

One thought…. Be careful if you do go for a fabulously expensive wonderful position seat as you may just find your young person gets rather a high taste & expects this sort of treat all the time!!

My first ever experience of flying was in First Class (I was flying as a paid nanny with a family…) 

It was a bit of a shock to discover what ‘cattle class’ was like years later when I first flew on my own dime!! 

A lovely thing to do - have a wonderful time!!

one final thought….what about extending to more family members/friends & share a box? If so, I’d highly recommend the Coliseum as I think I’m right in remembering they have dress circle or stalks circle boxes that span the whole circle so you can get a centrally placed one to get a terrific view & amazing special experience!! And you can I believe enjoy more personalised hospitality (can take in your bottle of wine & proper glasses) And oh the joy of people watching…. & indeed of ‘being watched’ & feeling ‘super special’ in a box like Royalty!! 
Think I’m talking myself into looking to book this again myself now - ha ha!! 😘

It really made me smile that you started this post with a word of caution about not giving her too much of a taste of the high life - and then ended the post with the suggestion of getting a box 🤣  this is exactly what happens to me… start off thinking it would be nice to take her to see the royal ballet, next thing I’m on a forum asking what are the best seats for her.  

It’s my first time too - so I think a box is the way forward! 

• Like 3

If you’re pushing the boat out, @Tiptoesmama, a grand tier box will give her a front row view, no need for cushions, and if you have two good friends or family members to split the cost/justify the cost  that will give her and you all good views of everything.  (And no strangers behind you to make snide comments!) 

The show you mentioned on 23 Dec is currently cast as Cuthbertson/Bracewell, on a Saturday but quite an early matinee at 12.30. I think you’ll have a good choice of seats if you book on 2-5 August. Nutcracker does sell out as it gets closer to November but as most fans will generally have seen it before and there are so many performances, there isn’t usually a mad scramble for tickets in the first week of public booking, as there are lots of tickets to go round. 

1 minute ago, Emeralds said:

If you’re pushing the boat out, @Tiptoesmama, a grand tier box will give her a front row view, no need for cushions, and if you have two good friends or family members to split the cost/justify the cost  that will give her and you all good views of everything.  (And no strangers behind you to make snide comments!) 

The show you mentioned on 23 Dec is currently cast as Cuthbertson/Bracewell, on a Saturday but quite an early matinee at 12.30. I think you’ll have a good choice of seats if you book on 2-5 August. Nutcracker does sell out as it gets closer to November but as most fans will generally have seen it before and there are so many performances, there isn’t usually a mad scramble for tickets in the first week of public booking, as there are lots of tickets to go round. 

She has been quite transfixed by the streamed recording of Lauren Cuthbertson dancing the sugar plum fairy - which is why she asked if we could see her dance (although I am sure you are right, once there she would equally enjoy any cast!) 

love the idea of a box - not sure I will find two others to love that idea as much as I do - but I am going to try! 🤣

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tiptoesmama said:

It really made me smile that you started this post with a word of caution about not giving her too much of a taste of the high life - and then ended the post with the suggestion of getting a box 🤣  this is exactly what happens to me… start off thinking it would be nice to take her to see the royal ballet, next thing I’m on a forum asking what are the best seats for her.  

It’s my first time too - so I think a box is the way forward! 

Just to endorse people’s words of warning. My Dad used to buy front row stalls tickets in the days when there were just 4 in the left side block, the price was cheap and even small children like me could see the dancers’ feet.

And guess what? More years later than I care to admit, I am still aiming to get tickets in the front row when I can.

Seriously though, a box is a good idea for your Nutcracker treat. 

• Like 3