Press Release: English National Ballet's Our Voices at Sadler's Wells

Press Release 

10 July 2023

English National Ballet 
Our Voices 
Sadler’s Wells 

Thursday 21 – Saturday 30 September 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/our-voices

English National Ballet opens its first season programmed by Artistic Director Aaron S. Watkin with Our Voices. Showcasing the strength and versatility of the Company, this new triple bill premieres at Sadler’s Wells from Thursday 21 - Saturday 30 September 2023.

Our Voices includes the World Premiere of a new interpretation of Les Noces by American choreographer Andrea Miller with artwork conceived by renowned artist, the late Phyllida Barlow. Marking 100 years since the premiere of the Stravinsky’s revolutionary score, this powerful new work sees the dancers joined on stage by a live chorus from Opera Holland Park, accompanied by English National Ballet Philharmonic. 

Returning to English National Ballet for the first time in 15 years, one of the world’s leading neo-classical choreographers, David Dawson presents the World Premiere of his latest creation Four Last Songs. An uplifting and poignant work, Four Last Songs explores the beauty of humanity and the circle of life, set to the final score by Richard Strauss.

Completing the programme for Our Voices is Theme and Variations from one of ballet’s most influential choreographers, George Balanchine. New to English National Ballet’s repertoire, Theme and Variations sees 13 couples take to the stage in a beautiful showcase of virtuosity, featuring new designs by Roberta Guidi di Bagno. 

Further details and casting to be announced shortly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Theme and Variations is a fabulous piece.

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Good to have an opportunity to see the wonderful Theme & Variations . I last saw BRB dance it  (2015?) It’s worth a ticket just for this.

It is indeed; wonderful and fabulous both. And with Four Last Songs to provide a musical high, absolutely not to be missed. Plus far more reasonable prices than the RB. 
Like LinMM, I’ve already got tickets but may have to rethink when the castings come out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

It is indeed; wonderful and fabulous both. And with Four Last Songs to provide a musical high, absolutely not to be missed. Plus far more reasonable prices than the RB. 
Like LinMM, I’ve already got tickets but may have to rethink when the castings come out. 

Yes me too.  So far I only have tickets for the 30th but might have to go again as that is the last night!  Looking forward to seeing T&V again, and as Four Last Songs is one of my favourite pieces of sung music I can't wait to see what they've done with it.  Likewise Les Noces...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Any recommendations on where to sit? Will be in town for DonQ on the 30th so will try for the 29th. 

Mid-stalls or first five rows of the Dress Circle are my favourite places in SW.  

I would like to see this programme very much, but I don't think I could face it if people were going to be eating crisps and drinking pints of beer during Four Last Songs, so might have to give it a miss. The wording is a little ambiguous-'set to the score by..' Will it actually be a performance of Four Last Songs live?

• Like 1

I’m so looking forward to this.

I haven’t seen theme and variations but it’s Balanchine so feels a safe bet. Whilst it’s not Nijinska, any Les noces feels like it will be at least interesting, if not good. And intrigued by four songs now as well. Such a promising bill! And credit for ENB for getting opera singers in as well rather than foregoing that or relying on a tape! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mary said:

I would like to see this programme very much, but I don't think I could face it if people were going to be eating crisps and drinking pints of beer during Four Last Songs, so might have to give it a miss. The wording is a little ambiguous-'set to the score by..' Will it actually be a performance of Four Last Songs live?

Yes, all three pieces will be done to live music - so a feast of music for the wonderful ENB Philharmonic!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, oncnp said:

Any recommendations on where to sit? Will be in town for DonQ on the 30th so will try for the 29th. 

Any seats in the Second Circle or Dress Circle that are not the first 3 seats at the sides have unrestricted views. The Stalls are also good but I avoid the first few rows if going with someone petite or shorter in case in the view of the feet are cut off, but since there is an orchestra for this triple bill it should be less of a risk. I avoid the last 5 rows of the Stalls if the scenery eg Giselle matters, as the overhang of the tier above cuts your view of the set at the top. But basically Sadler’s Wells is great for the sightlines and the website is not only fast and reliable compared to the current ROH one, but also gives helpful info about which seats might be restricted view and in what way. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 19:18, Mary said:

The Sadler’s Wells ballet audiences tend not to bring in drinks let alone snacks, and the mixed bill audiences are even more disciplined and decorous. I can’t predict the future of course, but if anyone eats or slurps during this triple bill it will be the first time in 3 decades of visiting the theatre that I’ve seen it. (Audiences at SWT for musicals and flamenco do bring in drinks or snacks.) 

Yes, Four Last Songs and the rest of the music will be performed live by ENB Philharmonic and the wonderful Madeleine Pierard has been announced as their soprano to sing the Strauss. I think it could be ENBP’s first time playing Richard Strauss for ENB in a very long time/ever, but judging by how beautifully they play Stravinsky, Glazounov, Liszt, Delibes, Tchaikovsky, etc I think they will relish having a sublime concert work to perform and give glorious performances of it. No pressure 😂 on them but I too have high expectations as 4LS is one of my faves. ENB Philharmonic’s performance of Stravinsky’s Petrushka about a decade ago is still my all time number one favourite rendition and I’ve heard loads - from LSO to RB to visiting companies etc. I’m looking forward to both the music and dancing in this triple bill. 

I'm going to book but will have to wait for the casts as I don’t want to book two dates with the same cast and miss out someone by mistake; and I might also go three times depending on how many casts and if they are on weekends/days that I can go.

Edited by Emeralds

On 11/07/2023 at 19:46, JNC said:

I’m so looking forward to this.

I haven’t seen theme and variations but it’s Balanchine so feels a safe bet. Whilst it’s not Nijinska, any Les noces feels like it will be at least interesting, if not good. And intrigued by four songs now as well. Such a promising bill! And credit for ENB for getting opera singers in as well rather than foregoing that or relying on a tape! 

You’ll like Theme and Variations, JNC- one of the few ballets (that survive till now) that Balanchine didn’t create for New York City Ballet, but for the legendary Alicia Alonso and Igor Youskevitch, and the dancers of the company that we know today as American Ballet Theatre. ABT still dance it, NYCB do (as part of a bigger work called Tschaikovsky Suite number 3) also, as does RB, BRB, and many companies, from Mariinsky Ballet to San Francisco Ballet to Royal Danish Ballet etc etc.

It’s a tutus and tiara piece rather like Diamonds in Jewels or Raymonda Act 3 divertissement (without the Hungarian bits). Very classical, pretty and gorgeous. The set is usually a grand ballroom-like setting with chandeliers although ENB has said they are getting new designs as it’s never been in their repertoire before, so I don’t know how theirs look yet. But the Balanchine Trust will stipulate that they cannot depart too much from Balanchine’s original intentions, so they won’t be allowed to reboot it to a disco or car park, for example! 😆

I first saw it danced by BRB (then called SWRB) in Oxford with Miyako Yoshida and Petter Jacobsson leading a brilliant cast and they were amazing (literally, with their stunning virtuosity, amidst the shimmery chandeliers and regal costumes), and I was on cloud nine as I walked back to catch the two trains home.....they’re still my benchmark for all future performances I see! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

The Sadler’s Wells ballet audiences tend not to bring in drinks let alone snacks, and the mixed bill audiences are even more disciplined and decorous. I can’t predict the future of course, but if anyone eats or slurps during this triple bill it will be the first time in 3 decades of visiting the theatre that I’ve seen it

Sadly Emeralds that is not my experience. I have suffered this behaviour at Sadlers during ballet performances several times in a row, hence my comment.

Edited by Mary
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mary said:

Sadly Emeralds that is not my experience. I have suffered this behaviour at Sadlers during ballet performances several times in a row, hence my comment.

Oh dear, how annoying that must have been, Mary 🙁.....do you remember which company/companies or programme/s it/they was/were? Maybe I’ve just been extraordinarily  lucky, but honestly, whether matinee or evening, weekend or weekday, never come across that for SWT’s ballet mixed bills. The worst I ever had was the ENB Swan Lake at London Coliseum, with entire rows and sections of patrons talking loudly over the music and the beginning of Act 2, and popcorn being sold for patrons to munch during the show, but that was caused by the stage management and theatre management. Then there are the random folk talking and taking photos during RB performances at ROH, though (so far) without food involved.

Maybe what you might like to consider is to wait for the first few performances to be over and see what members here have experienced, which still gives you 5-7 days to decide whether to book and attend. Also, I often find that the side gallery seats in both first (dress) circle and second circle are the quietest in terms of behaviour - if you don’t mind a slightly restricted view of the corners, that’s probably where you’ll get the least disruption. I must admit that crunching or slurping during the Strauss and Tchaikovsky of this mixed bill would also annoy me a lot! 

Edited by Emeralds