Coronation Concert - Ballet

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Absolutely.  I'm not religious either, but my goodness I'm eternally grateful for the music and art that faith and religion have inspired and given us over the centuries.

Not to mention the architecture, literature, and poetry.

@Suffolkgal I have absolutely no problem with anyone being religious; my own brother is a practising Christian as well.  

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still haven’t seen the Hayward Sambe bit …..but thought Katy Perry was terrific though know nothing about her music and thought the dress was rather a brave one to wear 😳 

She carried it off anyway. 
My favourite bit was the enormous turning whale in the drone light display  still can’t quite work out how they do that but rather spectacular. 

I’m not religious either in the sense of following any particular Faith but also enjoy the music art and buildings etc which have come over time from all Faiths. 

10 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Not to mention the architecture, literature, and poetry.

@Suffolkgal I have absolutely no problem with anyone being religious; my own brother is a practising Christian as well.  

I have no problem with whatever anyone believes either, i do appreciate the art, music, architecture etc but I'm an atheist and religious ceremonies are not my thing 

18 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

I have no problem with whatever anyone believes either, i do appreciate the art, music, architecture etc but I'm an atheist and religious ceremonies are not my thing 

I'm a devout aetheist (?), but can't deny having a liking for choral church music. Must be my old chapel roots...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fonty said:

I was sad when quite a few of my friends said they didn't watch the service because they are not religious.  Well, neither am I, but it doesn't stop me enjoying glorious music played and sung wonderfully.  

I must admit, my immediate reaction was one of surprise, and to wonder whether not being religious had prevented them from watching the late Queen's funeral, various Royal weddings, and so on.  (I'm assuming that you would have indicated if the primary reason was that they were actually anti-monarchist)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alison said:

I must admit, my immediate reaction was one of surprise

Yes, mine too. It was a religious service but also an event of enormous constitutional and historical interest and significance for the whole nation. I understand not watching if you hate religion, but not just because you're not religious. Even for those of us who are religious, a lot of it was new and strange and fascinating, because coronations don't come round very often... And yes, the music was spectacular whether or not you're religious.

• Like 6

The 'audience' at most religious services are there to take part, and are generally expected to do so, but rites of passage like funerals, weddings and coronations are an exception. An atheist or a member of a different religion can attend those purely because they have a personal connection of some kind with the main participants. They're not expected to take part, only to watch respectfully. 

• Like 2

Just now, DVDfan said:

The 'audience' at most religious services are there to take part, and are generally expected to do so, but rites of passage like funerals, weddings and coronations are an exception. An atheist or a member of a different religion can attend those purely because they have a personal connection of some kind with the main participants. They're not expected to take part, only to watch respectfully. 

Exactly this. I'm very happy to attend a wedding, christening etc but I decided long ago not to watch or take part in any other religious service. I don't care what people believe but I do think religion has way too much influence in this country. That's probably a debate for a different Website though! 

11 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

I don't care what people believe but I do think religion has way too much influence in this country.

That's probably a debate for a different Website though! 

Agreed - and agreed 😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

I don't care what people believe but I do think religion has way too much influence in this country. That's probably a debate for a different Website though! 

I would say that liberalism, individualism and relativism are rampant in this country (and others) and that religion has hardly any influence now! (Which is why the Coronation did in many ways feel so strange and anachronistic.) But yes, different website and all that... 

• Like 6

I would agree that religion doesn’t seem to have a huge influence in this country any more or at least has taken a more acceptable place in Society of people just being able to continue to practice their Faiths quietly and without any interference. 
Unfortunately this is not what happens in many other parts of the World where religion has more influence and interference and causes all sorts of unhappy problems.
But as somebody above said probably for another thread or Forum even!  

58 minutes ago, Sim said:

I can't see any way that religion has any influence at all in this country anymore.  

One third of state schools are faith schools and 26 bishops automatically sit in house of Lords making decisions on legislation. Plus its a legal requirement for all schools to hold a daily act of worship although many ignore this. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

I must admit, my immediate reaction was one of surprise, and to wonder whether not being religious had prevented them from watching the late Queen's funeral, various Royal weddings, and so on.  (I'm assuming that you would have indicated if the primary reason was that they were actually anti-monarchist)

They are not exactly anti-monarchist, or even anti-religion.  More a sort of general air of not being bothered, or having no interest.   Which I thought was sad, because I found it fascinating, both from the historical perspective, and from the sheer spectacle or watching so many ceremonial robes in action.  

I do find occasions like this to be  spiritually uplifting, and nobody needs to be religious to feel that.  The rousing music, the gorgeous singing, the glorious pageantry, all made me swell with joyful emotion.   :)  

(I often feel the same way watching a ballet at Covent Garden) 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, balletfanatic said:

One third of state schools are faith schools and 26 bishops automatically sit in house of Lords making decisions on legislation. Plus its a legal requirement for all schools to hold a daily act of worship although many ignore this. 

Yes they almost all ignore this now.  Furthermore, most schools are too scared to even have a nativity play at Christmas in case of causing offence, so I hardly see how religion (or Christianity, at least) has any influence whatsoever anymore.  There might be 26 bishops in the HoL, but they don't have the final say on any legislation, especially as there are 755 Lords who can affect legislation. So the bishops are hardly a majority.  Furthermore, as has been evidenced in the recent census, a large proportion of people in this country don't count themselves as religious in any way, and church congregations have dwindled to almost nothing.  So I still fail to see how religion has an influence in this country.  We aren't even allowed to call it a Christian country anymore. Hardly over-influential.  

Anyway, with my moderator hat on let's please leave it there and return to discussing the Coronation Concert.

• Like 4

Schools are no longer required legally to hold a collective Act of Worship …and doubt they would just ignore a legal requirement like that. 
Only schools of a designated Faith are required now to provide this. 
Of course via the National Curriculum schools do provide knowledge of other Faiths and cultural practices etc. in the classroom but school assemblies are no longer generally required to provide any religious input. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Schools are no longer required legally to hold a collective Act of Worship …and doubt they would just ignore a legal requirement like that. 
Only schools of a designated Faith are required now to provide this. 
Of course via the National Curriculum schools do provide knowledge of other Faiths and cultural practices etc. in the classroom but school assemblies are no longer generally required to provide any religious input. 

It is still a legal requirement. RE lessons are a totally different matter and I don't think anyone objects to that. Anyway I have strong views on this topic but I'm not saying any more as I certainly don't want to offend anyone 

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Anyway, with my moderator hat on let's please leave it there and return to discussing the Coronation Concert.

Yes, please.................although there's really not much to say about the ballet element of the Coronation Concert.

• Like 2

I think you will find it is no longer a legal requirement. 
I retired back in 2012 and it wasn’t a legal requirement back then….not to ordinary state schools anyway. 
As I said above Faith schools are different. 
RE is a general requirement of the National Curriculum but is hardly ever called that at Primary level anyway. 
Usually at Primary level the big celebrations of the main religions are taught such as Diwali and Eid and Christmas and Easter etc etc. 

I don’t know about secondary as presumably pupils select their subjects more so may not select RE to study.

OFSTED stopped inspecting non Faith schools on Collective Worship back in 2004. 

Edited by LinMM

Well, I caught up with this last night, having recorded it because I was out partying on the Saturday.  

I really enjoyed the whole thing, as did my husband, which surprised him more than me, as I had seen the concert for the Platinum Jubilee.  I thought each act was given the right amount of time (although personally I think Olly Murs could have been allowed 2 numbers as I think he is very good).  I enjoyed the ballet segment, although like others I found it irritating that the camera kept cutting away during the dance segment.  But at least this time we did actually see the dancers, plus the little interview with Sambe before it was welcome.  

• Like 3

Oops, I must have FF-d through the Sambe interview, then.  Where was it?

I did FF through a fair bit of the concert, but from what I did see it looked enjoyable and very well produced.  (And I was surprised to see Kermit had indeed managed to make his way into the "Royal Box"!)

17 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I'm a devout aetheist (?), but can't deny having a liking for choral church music. Must be my old chapel roots...

Same - I’m an atheist who loves such music, and also visiting cathedrals and churches across the world which are on the whole open to everyone.

Can anyone give the time stamp for the interview with Sambé - is it the same one that was shown on BBC news earlier on Sunday?

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Same - I’m an atheist who loves such music, and also visiting cathedrals and churches across the world which are on the whole open to everyone.

Can anyone give the time stamp for the interview with Sambé - is it the same one that was shown on BBC news earlier on Sunday?

Voila!  .....12:46

Ah! I thought Marcelino might say who choreographed it or who designed the costumes but it’s not mentioned (maybe edited out?). If anyone finds out, I’d love to know and give them a round of applause each!

(It ends just in time for us to catch Kirsty Young - perhaps due to nerves? - making the rookie mistake of calling Ncuti “the newly crowned Doctor Who” instead of “the next Doctor” or “the newly crowned Time Lord”!) Eek! But he (diplomatically) didn’t say anything. 

Edited by Emeralds