News - Birmingham Royal Ballet, Sleeping Beauty, Spring Tour 2024

39 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

For anyone thinking about going to Plymouth please be aware that the performances are already heavily sold.  I've abandoned my plans to go.

The lesson to self is that if I want to go to Plymouth in the Autumn I book the tickets when they go on sale!

So true Janet. I was delighted to find out I’m due to see Parma but will be on tender-hooks until the final cast sheet appears. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Very impressive enthusiasm from Plymouth audiences! Well done! Still some seats left in all the tiers and several price points although it's true tickets are selling quickly (tickets at the lowest price of £25 have gone though). 

BRB has a very strong fan-base in Plymouth built up over the years in part by them having a Friend volunteer (when the Friends really were Friends) encouraging people.  She personally recruited over 200 members over the years when the company still thought Friends outside of Brum and London were worth the effort.  A lot of people travel long distances up from Cornwall to see the company.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Half seriously contemplating writing to Carlos Acosta and Caroline Miller to ask if they might consider adding 2 extra shows of SB in London (like they added extra performances of Black Sabbath The Ballet) - one for Samara/Haoliang, and one for Miki/Cesar! 😀

It does look like Sadler's Wells is free for the dates either side... However given how many tickets are unsold for the scheduled performances at the moment they'd probably say No!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Thanks Alison! Gratifying, spooky and impressive in equal measure that you have such a good memory of what I posted.  😊

Not stalking, honest - I just recalled that you'd mentioned Bath / Bristol more than once recently.

• Like 1

If you're an English Heritage member you can enter a competition for 2 tickets of Sleeping Beauty in Birmingham. The winner will also be offered a night at the Grand Hotel, Birmingham, breakfast included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I usually book the date that works for me logistically and take pot luck on the cast.  Especially now the lovely Brandon has deserted BRB for Zurich (and he was always the one I had a particular soft spot for).  I was hoping for Tzu-Chao (as I love his jumping style) but apparently the day I've booked for has Miki and Cesar which I'm really happy about.  I've liked her every time I've seen her and I've never seen Cesar performing but he looks like a lovely dancer.  

• Like 1

I was hoping to see Cesar or Tyrone at SW in April- I’m disappointed that neither of them is down to dance. I’ll probably book for the Wednesday evening at SW as there’s still plenty of good seats in the second tier (my preferred seating option). 

• Like 1

@Emeralds asked about the safety rail at the Empire and whether it restricts your view. It does! I would recommend booking further back in the upper (row E onwards) or booking the far side blocks of the back row of dress circle which are very good value.

• Thanks 2

Tweet from BRB about a Facebook event:

Join @BRB  and our alumna @DarceyOfficial  for a livestream from the studio on 24 January at 19.00  She’ll be coaching company dancers including alumni Gabriel Anderson and Haoliang Feng in the iconic Rose Adage from The Sleeping Beauty.

• Like 1

A mod may want to move this to a different thread but I don't think anyone has commented that BRB will be dancing Cinderella next spring. Presumably Peter Wright's.

Priority booking has been announced for the Mayflower Theatre for February 6 - 9 (only 1 matinee, the Saturday at 2pm).

Presumably the company is sensibly trying to encourage people going to that, and other regional, theatres to watch Sleeping Beauty, to book a year in advance.

But I don't think it's yet been announced what they'll be doing in the autumn, just the Nutcracker in Birmingham and London (RAH).

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

that BRB will be dancing Cinderella next spring. Presumably Peter Wright's.

Priority booking has been announced for the Mayflower Theatre for February 6 - 9 (only 1 matinee, the Saturday at 2pm).

interestingly, rows A,B & C are onsale for this production.  

whenever I've visited the Mayflower to watch ENB or BRB (including next weekend for Sleeping Beauty), the front row has been D. any further forward and you are sitting amongst the orchestra.

does the selling of rows A,B & C mean the absence of live music for this production?, does it mean a smaller orchestra squeezed into a smaller space?, or perhaps it mean a roving orchestra onstage circulating amongst the dancers? 

I sincerely hope that the BRB Sinfonia will be playing live.

However, whereas the 'product description' for Sleeping Beauty includes "and Tchaikovsky's glorious music played live by the acclaimed Royal Ballet Sinfonia." , the 'product description' for Cinderella has no such inclusion.

Interestingly, ticket prices are more or less unchanged from year to year so is this a case of SHRINKFLATION....?

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Presumably Peter Wright's

Praised by audiences and critics alike, former Company Director David Bintley’s Cinderella is a sure-fire mix of wonderful dance, spectacular scenery, and a cast of characters that include mice, lizards and even a dancing frog – something to capture every imagination. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

interestingly, rows A,B & C are onsale for this production.  

whenever I've visited the Mayflower to watch ENB or BRB (including next weekend for Sleeping Beauty), the front row has been D. any further forward and you are sitting amongst the orchestra.

does the selling of rows A,B & C mean the absence of live music for this production?, does it mean a smaller orchestra squeezed into a smaller space?, or perhaps it mean a roving orchestra onstage circulating amongst the dancers? 

I sincerely hope that the BRB Sinfonia will be playing live.

However, whereas the 'product description' for Sleeping Beauty includes "and Tchaikovsky's glorious music played live by the acclaimed Royal Ballet Sinfonia." , the 'product description' for Cinderella has no such inclusion.

Interestingly, ticket prices are more or less unchanged from year to year so is this a case of SHRINKFLATION....?

I’d check with the theatre.  To my cost a few years ago I booked front row for something only to find months later that it wasn’t the front row and I was reallocated a circle seat as the stalls was full!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I’d check with the theatre.  To my cost a few years ago I booked front row for something only to find months later that it wasn’t the front row and I was reallocated a circle seat as the stalls was full!

I rang the box office. I'm assured that there will be a live accompaniment to Cinderella though not of the size needed for Sleeping Beauty hence rows A-C onsale.  

Rows AA, BB & CC remain off sale and will accommodate the musicians. phew!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SheilaC said:

A mod may want to move this to a different thread but I don't think anyone has commented that BRB will be dancing Cinderella next spring. Presumably Peter Wright's.

Presumably the company is sensibly trying to encourage people going to that, and other regional, theatres to watch Sleeping Beauty, to book a year in advance.

But I don't think it's yet been announced what they'll be doing in the autumn, just the Nutcracker in Birmingham and London (RAH).

I don't think Peter Wright ever made a Cinderella, Sheila? RB had Ashton's and Bintley did this one for BRB. Ben Stevenson did one for ENB (although they now dance Wheeldon's, which was made for Dutch National Ballet and San Francisco Ballet). 

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I don't think Peter Wright ever made a Cinderella, Sheila? RB had Ashton's and Bintley did this one for BRB. Ben Stevenson did one for ENB (although they now dance Wheeldon's, which was made for Dutch National Ballet and San Francisco Ballet). 

I do believe a performance of Stevenson's Cinderella in Manchester may have been Muntagirov's first time in a leading role...  I was there!

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I do believe a performance of Stevenson's Cinderella in Manchester may have been Muntagirov's first time in a leading role...  I was there!

Ooh, very nice, Jan! I saw Agnes Oaks and Thomas Edur in that production but it would have been great to see Vadim too! 

16 hours ago, SheilaC said:

They did this last year when they toured Don Quixote - promoting Sleeping Beauty for the following year- and it seems to have worked judging by Janet’s comments about Plymouth sales earlier in the thread.

I would be very surprised if the production of Cinderella wasn’t Bintley’s. It’s very good and popular. Although I only saw  it in Birmingham, I assume it adapts well for touring. 

Edited by Odyssey

50 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

They did this last year when they toured Don Quixote - promoting Sleeping Beauty for the following year- and it seems to have worked judging by Janet’s comments about Plymouth sales earlier in the thread.

I would be very surprised if the production of Cinderella wasn’t Bintley’s. It’s very good and popular. Although I only saw  it in Birmingham, I assume it adapts well for touring. 

I assume it will be SDB's, which is gorgeous.  It tours well - I have seen it in both The Lowry and the Empire in Sunderland.

It was a cut-down version of this lovely production that was shown at Birmingham Rep during the experimental shows of Autumn 2020.  I assume from this that Acosta must have a good working relationship with SDB.  So good that wouldn't it be wonderful if Hobson's Choice or Madding Crowd was announced for the Autumn!

• Like 1

It's gratifying to see that demand for ballet in Southampton has had a last minute surge. When I looked last week there were plenty of tickets available.  Now, the seatscape has changed and the Balcony has gone onsale for Thursday 8th & Saturday 10th matinee shows as the Stalls & Circle have sold out.

• Like 4

I've just been to have a look, and am totally SHOCKED at the rip-off prices.  Unless the theatre has had a revamp since I was last there, the Balcony is still pretty similar to that of the London Coliseum - vertiginous, with uncomfortable bench seats - and it used to be cheap.  Not any more.  I know I got a very generous discount when I booked way back when, but for Balcony seats to be more than twice my stalls seat - WELL!

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 17:44, PeterS said:

I rang the box office. I'm assured that there will be a live accompaniment to Cinderella though not of the size needed for Sleeping Beauty hence rows A-C onsale.  

Rows AA, BB & CC remain off sale and will accommodate the musicians. phew!

On 26/01/2024 at 17:41, Jan McNulty said:

Also when I went to book LCB in Bath row A was being sold for the first night but not for the rest of the week.  I rang up and it was a mistake on the first night.

The Mayflower has now changed its seating plan for Cinderella 2025. rows A-C are now off-sale.  The front row in now side stalls row E or centre stalls row D.

• Thanks 1

LfrYlnJo_LSwjcIbZ8xBrLdp8Ha7mKxpRELy8eDL_-cMsgnoTVsY1fNasezdGQOSmSI69gHSM6Ktl2LMUMVuldPawajr5GWWEi0Oifysq6UIc32JqLeTWGWccpZU9KEV6FmE9SuyvZ-hl_Z9XuRusQ

PRESS RELEASE

12 February 2024

PRODUCTION IMAGES RELEASED FOR
BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET’S 
THE SLEEPING BEAUTY

INCLUDING MALE DANCER, GABRIEL ANDERSON'S DEBUT
IN THE ROLE OF CARABOSSE

DAME DARCEY BUSSELL DBE COACHES DANCERS
e6WPybB4fPvDyhc_AKDtfgYWpewwHta_USkmwI2xAejirQyH0wZ9Hhw6Y-ANqbgDzuF1SzOXbCAGwpaO3XoDL8hKpzoBSlNbmUfsYCNOlpM8VRzN1bqyfq6IyduVqpXw-kB-JHJ9l3nq

Gabriel Anderson as Carabosse in Birmingham Royal Ballet’s The Sleeping Beauty - credit Tristam Kenton

• SIR PETER WRIGHT’S CLASSIC STAGING OPENS A UK WIDE TOUR IN SOUTHAMPTON ALSO VISITING  BIRMINGHAM, SALFORD, SUNDERLAND, PLYMOUTH, BRISTOL AND LONDON

• GABRIEL ANDERSON DEBUTS IN THE ROLE OF CARABOSSE, THE FIRST TIME A MALE DANCER HAS DEBUTED THE ROLE IN THE COMPANY FOR 34 YEARS

• YU KURIHARA AND BEATRICE PARMA MAKE THEIR PRINCESS AURORA DEBUTS WITH COACHING BY DAME DARCEY BUSSELL DBE

• 2024 MARKS 40 YEARS OF SIR PETER WRIGHT’S BELOVED PRODUCTION

• ALINA COJOCARU TO GUEST STAR IN SELECT PERFORMANCES AT LONDON’S SADLER’S WELLS

• TICKETS FOR ALL VENUES ON SALE AT  BRB.ORG.UK

Following a sell-out success with one of the most talked about theatrical events of 2023 with Black Sabbath - The Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet has returned to the stage with one of the Company’s most beloved classics, Sir Peter Wright’s sumptuous staging of The Sleeping Beauty.

Marking the production’s 40th anniversary year, the 2024 UK tour opened last week at the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton where the production played until Saturday 10 February. The tour then continues to Birmingham Hippodrome (21 Feb-2 Mar), The Lowry, Salford (7-9 Mar), Sunderland Empire (14-16 Mar), Theatre Royal, Plymouth (20-23 Mar), Bristol Hippodrome (18-20 Apr) and London’s Sadler’s Wells (24-27 Apr).

At select performances on the tour, the role of the villainous Carabosse will be danced by Gabriel Anderson, marking the first time a male dancer has debuted in the role of Carabosse with BRB for 34 years. Other notable male dancers who have danced the role in the Company’s history include previous BRB Director, Sir David Bintley back in 1986.

Dame Darcey Bussell DBE has been joining BRB in the studio during the rehearsal process, coaching dancers who will be taking on some of the ballet's most iconic roles such as Princess Aurora - following in the footsteps of Dame Darcey herself. Coached by Dame Darcey, Yu Kurihara and Beatrice Parma will make their debuts as Princess Aurora during the UK tour. 

For full casting information and performance dates visit brb.org.uk/castsheets.

The acclaimed Royal Ballet and English National Ballet Principal, Alina Cojocaru will return to the London stage for special guest star performances at Sadler’s Wells at evening performances on both Thursday 25 April and Saturday 27 April 2023. Throughout her illustrious career, Alina Cojocaru has received acclaim for her performances in classic roles such as Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Giselle and, perhaps most famously, Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty - for which she won the Critics' Circle Dance Award for Outstanding Female Classical Performance in 2017. Alina is a regular guest artist with the Hamburg Ballet as well as appearing with companies across the globe. In 2020, she presented her own programme “Alina at the Wells” at Sadler's Wells. Alina Cojocaru presented and performed in La Strada, a new ballet based on Fellini’s cinematic masterpiece, at Sadler’s Wells in January this year.

The 2024 tour of The Sleeping Beauty follows on from the 2023 UK tour of Sir Peter Wright’s Swan Lake -BRB’s most successful spring tour to date, having been seen by over 53,000 people.

Last seen on UK stages over six years ago, The Sleeping Beauty continues Birmingham Royal Ballet’s legacy of presenting the acclaimed heritage classics and celebrating the beloved work of its founder, Sir Peter Wright. The Sleeping Beauty is the fourth of Sir Peter Wright’s productions to be presented by the company since autumn 2022, following Coppélia, The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. The acclaimed Royal Ballet Sinfonia performs Tchaikovsky’s glorious score live, with designs by Philip Prowse and lighting design by Mark Jonathan. 

Sir Peter Wright said: “I find it hard to believe that this tour marks the 40th Anniversary of The Sleeping Beauty. This has always been the most opulent of ballets, but Philip Prowse’s incredible design created a unique fairy tale world (with almost 30 fairy character tutus alone!) that allows dancers to really inhabit some of classical ballet’s most famous roles.”

Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet Carlos Acosta said I am thrilled to be reviving Sir Peter Wright’s production of The Sleeping Beauty in the Spring of 2024.  The Company is excited to be delighting audiences once more with this definitive version of one of the great classical ballets, welcoming people of all ages to our performances throughout the UK.

"I am also honoured that the acclaimed Principal Ballerina, Alina Cojocaru, will be joining the Company for selected performances at London’s Sadler’s Wells, sharing her celebrated interpretation of the role of Princess Aurora."

Listings:

Southampton Mayflower Theatre
8–10 February 2024

Birmingham Hippodrome
21 February–2 March 2024

The Lowry, Salford
7–9 March 2024

Sunderland Empire
14–16 March 2024

Theatre Royal Plymouth
20–23 March 2024

Bristol Hippodrome
18 - 20 April 2024

Sadler’s Wells, London
24 - 27 April 2024

Choreography: Peter Wright, Lev Ivanov, Marius Petipa

Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Production: Peter Wright

Designs: Philip Prowse

Lighting: Mark Jonathan

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 100 shows a year nationally and internationally.

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia
The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances withParis Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

Alina Cojocaru
Born in Bucharest, Alina trained in Kiev for seven years before joining the Royal Ballet School in 1997. Upon completion of her training, six month later, she returned to Kiev, to join the company as a principal dancer. A year later she joined the Royal Ballet Company (November 1999) and at the end of the season she was promoted to Soloist. On 17 April 2001 Sir Anthony Dowell promoted Alina to the rank of principal dancer after her performance of Giselle. Alina performed as a Leading Principal Dancer with the English National Ballet from 2013 until 2020. She continues to perform as a guest artist with companies worldwide, and is a regular guest with the Hamburg Ballet. Alina has organized Gala's in Romania and in London (Hospice of Hope) over the last few years. In February 2012 Alina premiered her Alina Cojocaru - Dream Project, in Tokyo, Japan, which she directed and staged, while performing along side friends and colleagues from the Tokyo Ballet, Hamburg Ballet, ENB and Royal Ballet. Alina's second Dream Project took place in July 2014 and 3rd in February 2020. In 2015 Alina presented a charity Gala at the Lincoln Center NY. In 2020 she presented her own programme “Alina at the Wells” at the Sadler's Wells Theatre in London.

Repertory includes:

Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Giselle, Princess Aurora and Princess Florine in Sleeeping Beauty, Julie in Liliom, Marguerite Gautier in Lady of the Camellias, Vera and Natalya in A Month in the Country, Kitri in Don Quixote, Olga and Tatiana in Onegin, Cinderella, The Sugar Plum Fairy and Clara in Nutcracker, Titania in Dream, Titania and Hippolyta in a Midsummer nights dream, Ballerina in Etudes, Nikiya in Bayadere, Diamonds in Jewels, Marguerite in Marguerite and Armand, Symphonic Variations, Mary Vetsera in Mayerling, Manon, La Sylphide, In the Night, Las Hermanas, Swanilda in Coppelia, Nina in Seagull ,Scenes de Ballet, Gong, Masquerade, Polyphonia, Symphony in C, Chloe in Daphnis and Chloe, Lise in Fille Mal Gardee, Student in The Lesson, Duo Concertant, The Leaves Are Fading, Other Dances, Voices of Spring, Beyond Bach, Tombeaux, Ondine, Virtiginous Thrill Of Exatitude, Fest Polonaise, Stars and Stribes, Raymonda act 3, Flames of Paris, Medora in Le Corsaire, Flower Festival, Napoli act 3, Grand Pas Classique, Tjakovski Pas de Deux. Musorgski Waltz, Dances at a Gathering, Dying Swan, Rushes, Two Footnotes, Chroma, Bird as a Prophet, No Man's Land, Sylvie in In the Middle somewhat Elevated, Spring and Fall, Approximate Sonata, Des Knaben Wunderhorn and Mahler 5th and many more.   

Created Roles includes:

Musketeer and Valse (Rubina Alla Davidovna), Swanilda(Anatolyi Shekera's Coppelia), Ad infinities (Vanessa Fenton), There where she loves (Christopher Wheeldon), This House will Burn (Ashley Page), Les Saisons(David Bintley), Two Footnotes, Bird as a Prophet, Rushes(Kim Brandstrup), Engram and Chroma(Wayne McGregor), Les Lutins and La Sylphide (Johan Kobborg), Julie in John Neumeier's Liliom, Laura in John Neumeier’s Glass Menagerie,  24 Preludes (Alexei Ratmansky), Solveig in John Neumeier's Peer Gynt, Giselle in Akram Khan's Giselle, Second Breath (Russell Maliphant) and others.

As a Guest Artist: 

She appears with the Kirov Ballet, Paris Opera, Bolshoi Ballet, American Ballet Theater, Hamburg Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, Hungarian National Ballet, Viena State Opera, Zurich Ballet, National Ballet of Portugal, La Scala, Nacional Ballet Of Cuba, Teatro Colon, National Ballet of Romania, South African Ballet Theater, Kremlin Ballet, Sarasota Ballet, Zagreb Ballet, NBS, The Tokyo Ballet, New National Ballet Company, Zurich Ballet Company. Galas with Hamburg Ballet, La Scala Ballet, National Ballet Of China, Ballet Basel, National Ballet of Latvia, Munich Ballet, Dortmund Ballet, National Ballet of Finland, Morphoses Company, The 10/11/12/13 and 14th World Ballet Festival (Tokyo), Fall for Dance Festival 2016 and 2018 as well as galas in South Korea, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, USA and Denmark. 

Prizes and awards includes: 

Critics' Circle Dance Award ( 2002 Best female dancer, 2018 outstanding female classical performance Aurora in Sleeping Beauty , 2017 Giselle in Akram Khan) Dance for You Magazine (2014 Best dancer (Juliet and Giselle / Ch. Neumeier)), Taglioni-European Ballet Award (2014 Best female dancer), German Dance critics award (2012 Dancer of the year),  Benois De la Dance (2012 Best female dancer, (Liliom)), "Ballerina of the Decade" Award (Moscow 2010), VIP Romanian music and performing arts Award (2010). The Nijinsky Award (2004 Best female Dancer). Benois De la Dance (2004 Best female dancer, (Giselle)), 1 Internationaler Movimentos Tanz Preis (2004 Best female dancer), Nagoya International Ballet Competition(Gold Medal), Prix De Lausanne (1997 Winner), April 2002 she was given by the president of Romania Ion Iliescu, the medal of Cavaler of Romania (Ordinul national "Pentru Merit"in gradul de cavaler).

Video,TV and live relays include: 

Kennedy Center Awards 2012, Swan Lake, Cinderella, Nutcracker, Onegin, Daphnis and Chloe, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, The South Bank Show, The Dream, Manon, Cinderella, Romeo and Juliet,Mime Matters, Don Quixote and pas de deuxs in various galas.