Tring funding advice

Dancingpotato

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

The funding for 6th form is by Dance & Drama awards, the information is on their fees and funding page if you scroll down past the fee section. 

Thank you, do you know if there is a calculator similar to elmhurst / rbs? It is hard to know amounts of funding available with the info I can find.

• 5 weeks later...

That is right, after the first audition there are three options, plain no, offer of a self-funded place or invitation to the funding audition. Only a very few Dada places are available, so the majority of dancer families then have to decide if they can afford to self-fund if they haven't received an award.

2 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

Just to note; I’m not sure why but Tring have the least amount of MDS/Dada funded places available out of RBS/Elmhurst.

They do however offer bursaries and part scholarships.

Could it be because they’re spread out over the other courses? 
Eg the music, acting courses… 🤔

Not MDS no, it is for ballet only I believe.

Dada funding is for 6th form, and (or at least it was when dd was auditioning) is one pot of money, which is then allocated according to the level of eligibility until the pot runs dry. So some years there will be more students receiving funding, other years there will be fewer. It all depends on how much each student is allocated. 

1 hour ago, Dancingpotato said:

In terms of the dadas/bursaries etc if they are offered to somebody who then chooses to attend somewhere else (which I’m sure is quite likely?), do they get passed down to others? Just trying to see if rejected for funding there is still hope/waiting list?

Yes, they have a waiting list and if someone turns it down it gets passed on. 

6 hours ago, Dancingpotato said:

In terms of the dadas/bursaries etc if they are offered to somebody who then chooses to attend somewhere else (which I’m sure is quite likely?), do they get passed down to others? Just trying to see if rejected for funding there is still hope/waiting list?

Yes most definitely - DC’s friend was offered DaDA from wait list.

As a teacher, I was also able to phone up to ask how far down the DaDa waiting list my pupil was which would have helped us with our decision making. If they’re two or three on the waiting list then I’d say they’re quite likely to be offered a funded place, but beyond that, probably not. Only a handful of funded places are available at Tring, across the whole age-range.

• 3 months later...

I was going to ask this question on the closed RBS thread and now can’t recall who posted it.  Someone noted that Tring don’t have MDS available this year or did I get this wrong?  A few years ago they lost DaDAs due to missing the reapplication deadline (or something like that) but they offered them again for a number of years.  They rarely offer MDS to 6th Form but I thought they always had a limited number for lower years.  We have a friend whose DC is auditioning (today I think) and they wouldn’t have gone if they knew there was no possibility of funding. 

As far as I remember, although it may have changed more recently, they have a set number of MDS places available. Each year as people leave the school it frees up a number of those places, so it varies from year to year. Some years they have more places available, some years very few indeed.

Thank you - this is what we thought but the comment definitely said they didn’t have any MDS to give out.  My friend thinks it said “one year” but wasn’t sure if it meant this year or a previous year.  As DC knows of MDS being offered to friends in each of the last seven years I was concerned it meant this year.  On checking back posts in other threads this comment may refer to the DaDA but the few years this impacted the school apparently used bursary funds to bridge this until they had DaDA restored.