Royal Ballet Gala in Japan 13-18 July 2022

Looking forward to hearing the programme!
(And I see their website is not yet updated to reflect the new male principals).

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/stages/2022/royalballet/top.html

The Royal Ballet's top dancers perform exuberant pieces from the Company's repertoire.

Gala performances featuring top dancers of The Royal Ballet, one of the world's leading ballet companies, will be held this summer. Under the leadership of Director Kevin O'Hare, dancers mainly from the Principal rank will perform a selection of exuberant works from the Company's repertoire. Don't miss out!

Performance Dates

<Program A>
Wednesday 13 July 2022, 18:30 
@Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)
Thursday 14 July 2022, 18:30 @Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)
Saturday 16 July 2022, 13:30 @Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)

<Program B>
Sunday 17 July 2022, 13:30 
@Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)
Sunday 17 July 2022, 18:00 @Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)
Monday 18 July 2022, 14:00 @Bunkamura Orchard Hall (Tokyo)

*Programs will be announced at a later date.

Participating Dancers

Scheduled participating dancers includes Principal dancers Alexander Campbell, Cesar Corrales, Lauren Cuthbertson, Francesca Hayward, Ryoichi Hirano, Sarah Lamb, Yasmine Naghdi, Marianela Nuñez, Marcelino Sambé, Akane Takada, and First Soloists William Bracewell and Reece Clarke.

Venue
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Info I’ve seen so far …

LE CORSAIRE - Yasmine Naghdi and Cesar Corrales 

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Marianela Nuñez and William Bracewell

This may have changed...

Thanks @oncnp

Casting and programme as of 3 June 2022
https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/stages/2022/royalballet/programs.html

<Programme A>

Wednesday 13 July 2022, 18:30
Thursday 14 July 2022, 18:30
Saturday 16 July 2022, 13:30

Second movement pas de deux from Concerto
Choreography Kenneth MacMillan
Music Dmitri Shostakovich
Dancers Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet 
Music Sergei Prokofiev
Dancers Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell

Morgen 
Choreography Wayne McGregor
Music Richard Strauss
Dancers Francesca Hayward, Cesar Corrales

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Manon
Music Jules Massenet
Dancers Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell

Le Corsaire pas de deux
Choreography Marius Petipa
Music Riccardo Drigo 
Dancers Yasmine Naghdi, Cesar Corrales

Le Parc
Choreography Angelin Preljocaj 
Music Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
Dancers Yasmine Naghdi, Reece Clarke

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
Choreography George Balanchine 
Music Pyotr Tchaikovsky 
Dancers Marianela Nuñez, Reece Clarke

"Rubies" from Jewels
Music Igor Stravinsky 
Dancers Akane Takada, Marcelino Sambé

Pas de deux from Act 2 of Giselle
Choreography Marius Petipa after Jean Corrali and Jules Perrot
Music Adolphe Adam
Dancers Sarah Lamb, Marcelino Sambé

Black Swan pas de deux from Swan Lake
Music Pyotr Tchaikovsky 
Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan
Choreography Frederick Ashton 
Music Johannes Brahms
Dancer Lauren Cuthbertson

Dance of the Blessed Spirits
Music Christophe Willibald von Gluck
Dancer William Bracewell

Apollo
Music Igor Stravinsky 
Dancers Marianela Nuñez, Ryoichi Hirano

<Programme B>

Sunday 17 July 2022, 13:30
Sunday 17 July 2022, 18:00
Monday 18 July 2022, 14:00

"Diamonds" from Jewels
Music Pyotr Tchaikovsky 
Dancers Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Le Parc 
Choreography Angelin Preljocaj 
Music Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Grand pas classique 
Choreography Victor Gsovsky
Music Daniel-François Auber 
Dancers Marianela Nuñez, William Bracewell

Chroma 
Choreography Wayne McGregor
Dancers Akane Takada, Marcelino Sambé

Pas de deux from Act 3 of Alice's Adventure in Wonderland 
Choreography Christopher Wheeldon
Music Joby Talbot
Dancers Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell

Excerpt from Rhapsody
Music Sergei Rachmaninov
Dancers Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet
Music Sergei Prokofiev
Dancers Francesca Hayward, Cesar Corrales

Pas de deux from Act 3 of Don Quixote 
Music Ludwig Minkus
Dancers Yasmine Naghdi, Cesar Corrales

Pas de deux from Act 1 of Manon
Music Jules Massenet
Dancers Yasmine Naghdi, Reece Clarke

After the Rain 
Music Arvo Pärt
Dancers Marianela Nuñez, Reece Clarke

Within the Golden Hour
Music Ezio Bosso and Antonio Vivaldi
Dancer Sarah Lamb, Marcelino Sambé

Meditation from Thaïs 
Music Jules Massenet
Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Ryoichi Hirano

※ Programmes and casting as of 3 June 2022 are subject to change.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Interesting mixing of partnerships there – is this is the first time that Marianela Nunez has danced with Rioichi Hirano? Certainly a couple of very interesting programmes which I would love to see.

I’m surprised that Fumi Kaneko is apparently not performing in the gala. I wouldn’t have thought she would miss the chance of a trip home. Still, she’s appearing at the end of July in the Ballet Under the Stars weekend at Hatch House with Vadim Muntagirov.  I’m sure that Vadim’s Japanese fans will be disappointed he’s not appearing.

I also got the impression from Stephen Macrae’s IG that he was joining the trip to Japan as well.

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Oddly, none of the new principal ballerinas (Kaneko, Magri, O’Sullivan) are included in this gala.  Maybe they will be on the full company tour to Japan that has been delayed to 2023

Sadly, if the RB still intends to take Manon to Japan, none of these ballerinas will be able to take the lead as, unlike some Russian companies, the RB doesn’t seem to have debuts on tour.

3 hours ago, Nina99 said:

is this is the first time that Marianela Nunez has danced with Ryoichi Hirano

No they have performed together before, for example  in Onegin, with Hirano as Prince Gremin, and  also as Onegin....very good pairings both times.

7 hours ago, FionaE said:

(And I see their website is not yet updated to reflect the new male principals).

Unsurprising, since the promotions don't take place until the beginning of next season.

6 hours ago, FionaE said:

Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan

Music Johannes Brahms
Dancer Lauren Cuthbertson

London never did get to see Cuthbertson in this, did it? :(

7 hours ago, Nina99 said:

Interesting mixing of partnerships there – is this is the first time that Marianela Nunez has danced with Rioichi Hirano? Certainly a couple of very interesting programmes which I would love to see.

I’m surprised that Fumi Kaneko is apparently not performing in the gala. I wouldn’t have thought she would miss the chance of a trip home. Still, she’s appearing at the end of July in the Ballet Under the Stars weekend at Hatch House with Vadim Muntagirov.  I’m sure that Vadim’s Japanese fans will be disappointed he’s not appearing.

I also got the impression from Stephen Macrae’s IG that he was joining the trip to Japan as well.

Also Kaneko seems to be joining Roberto Bolle and Friends tour. She was also supposed to take part in a gala in August (which will be broadcasted on TV) and also appear on her original company's Giselle (Giselle will be danced by Misa Kuranaga and Kaneko was supposed to dance Myrta) but that was also cancelled, so Japanese fans are disappointed a little. 

Anyway I will be seeing the RB Gala so I hope I can report a little.

Speaking of Steven McRae, I managed to see him as Madhatter in National Ballet of Japan's Wheeldon Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, this was a last minute announcement and tickets disappeared in a couple of hours after the announcement. I would say he was sensational and did not show any signs of aging, nothing to show that he had just returned to stage after a long recovery period. He showed what a super star is on stage and not only his tapping but also his acting, his portrayal of the character was so vivid. The whole performance was also very good.  

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

I would say he was sensational and did not show any signs of aging, nothing to show that he had just returned to stage after a long recovery period. He showed what a super star is on stage and not only his tapping but also his acting, his portrayal of the character was so vivid. The whole performance was also very good.  

That's so great to hear - again what a testament to his dedication and determination to recover so well. A shame it wasn't recorded at all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

That's so great to hear - again what a testament to his dedication and determination to recover so well. A shame it wasn't recorded at all!

I am not sure this time but usually the National Ballet of Japan films most performances for archival purpose and some of them could be seen in their library. (There are some rare footages of guest dancers there such as Darcey Bussell, Jonathan Cope, Alina Cojocaru and Svetlana Zakharova that could be seen) I think I saw some video cameras at McRae's performance.

And very seldomly, they stream the recordings so I will have to see what they will do. The New National Theatre (where the National Ballet belongs) is currently streaming several opera and plays on their platform for free but no ballet at this moment. 

But anyway, McRae's performance was phenomenal, what a great artist he is. 

• Like 4

I just found a short video of William Bracewell and Marianela Nunez rehearsing Grand Pas Classique on YouTube! (from a couple of days ago, courtesy of Dancer's Diary - so I am a bit late to the party!)  I'm presuming this is for the Gala in Japan.  I tried to link it here but the whole video clip shows and I know we are obviously not allowed to post videos, so sorry,  I can't link it. There probably is a way to link it without the video, but I can't seem to do it. I found it by accident after looking for Grand Pas Classique videos. All I can say is - wow! I am even more envious now. My two favourite dancers! 😍

• Like 3

The performance I'd kill to see is Yasmine Naghdi in Manon & Le Parc, both with Reece Clarke. Both such beautiful pdd's! Le Parc is something I've wanted to see live for ages. But it's fantastic news that Yasmine is dancing Manon - does that perhaps mean she will be cast next time it's performed in London? 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Sharon said:

The performance I'd kill to see is Yasmine Naghdi in Manon & Le Parc, both with Reece Clarke. Both such beautiful pdd's! Le Parc is something I've wanted to see live for ages. But it's fantastic news that Yasmine is dancing Manon - does that perhaps mean she will be cast next time it's performed in London? 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

I certainly hope so, especially since she isn't getting the chance to dance Mary Vetsera next season (although she will make a very fine Larisch).

• Like 3

Dancersdiary has posted a video on Instagram of rehearsals with Naghdi and Corrales for the Don Quixote Pas de deux. Absolute firecrackers, I felt dizzy from watching Corrales turn and that was through my phone! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I certainly hope so, especially since she isn't getting the chance to dance Mary Vetsera next season (although she will make a very fine Larisch).

I hope so too Sim.

I have to say I'm not really bothered about the Mary Vetsera role as I really don't like Mayerling 😒

But she would be a gorgeous Manon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

It looks likely - and another amazing Manon would be Fumi Kaneko!

Fumi Kaneko performed the bedroom pas de deux of Manon with Federico Bonneli at the World Ballet Festival in Tokyo last summer. She was very lovely in the role, even though she had not danced the full performance yet. Hope she gets a chance soon to play the role. 

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
On 19/06/2022 at 15:59, Linnzi5 said:

I just found a short video of William Bracewell and Marianela Nunez rehearsing Grand Pas Classique on YouTube! (from a couple of days ago, courtesy of Dancer's Diary - so I am a bit late to the party!)  I'm presuming this is for the Gala in Japan.  I tried to link it here but the whole video clip shows and I know we are obviously not allowed to post videos, so sorry,  I can't link it. There probably is a way to link it without the video, but I can't seem to do it. I found it by accident after looking for Grand Pas Classique videos. All I can say is - wow! I am even more envious now. My two favourite dancers! 😍

And another  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMo9MMxCea0

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

50 minutes ago, DoctorDerry said:

Dancers Diary has now posted the full Grande pas Classique in you-tube. Both are phenomenal

Wow! I am in absolute awe. This is breathtaking - what amazing artists these two brilliant performers are. Thanks so much for sharing - this has made my day! :) 

• Like 2

Changes of cast in the Royal Ballet gala. Lauren Cuthbertson became unavailable due to health reasons and Edward Watson, Mariko Sasaki will come instead. 
https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/royal-ballet-gala-cast-and-programme-changes.html

Changes in Cast and Programmes

Programme A

• Act 2 Pas de deux from Swan Lake (Dancers: Mariko Sasaki and William Bracewell) will replace the Black Swan Pas de deux from Swan Lake (Dancers: Lauren Cuthbertson and William Bracewell).

• Infra pas de deux (Choreography: Wayne McGregor, Dancers: Sarah Lamb and Edward Watson) will replace Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan (Dancer: Lauren Cuthbertson)

Programme B

• Meditation from Thaïs will now be danced by Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano.

• A new solo by Arthur Pita (Dancer: Edward Watson)  will replace Le Parc pas de deux (Dancers: Lauren Cuthbertson and Ryoichi Hirano)
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, oncnp said:

I was one of the ones calling for the full version, so was over the moon to find this last night. Dancers Diary gives us so many goodies!

Honestly this is divine, both are phenomenal here, such a difficult PDD and yet it's effortless.

And they work beautifully together too. I hope to see more from these two together because they're very well matched.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1