Paris: Aurélie Dupont resigns from Paris Opera Ballet

Ariane Bavalier, ballet critic of Le Figaro, just tweeted that Aurélie Dupont resigns.

tps://twitter.com/arianebavelier/status/1537364854830399489?s=20&t=5ofSL0FwCTTjVcK507EpPA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've not been following events in Paris closely enough to know whether this is really a shock or not, and the reasons behind it, but thanks for letting us know, Angela.  So, another vacancy at the head of a top company :( 

Edit: So, she feels it's "job done"?

• alison changed the title to Paris: Aurélie Dupont resigns from Paris Opera Ballet
23 minutes ago, Angela said:

Whatever the reason, it is on very short notice - six weeks and she'll be gone. Poor Laurent Hilaire, who just signed his contract at Munich some weeks ago...

So he did: I was thinking he might have been an obvious choice.

49 minutes ago, alison said:

So he did: I was thinking he might have been an obvious choice.

Yes, but so are Nicolas Le Riche (Sweden) and Manuel Legris (La Scala, although he's only been there a year and a half.) Indeed, there are other former Paris Opera etoiles directing companies successfully. Hopefully they will choose someone who values classical ballet more than Dupont, Millepied or Lefevre...... very unlikely in the present climate!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Yes, but so are Nicolas Le Riche (Sweden) and Manuel Legris (La Scala, although he's only been there a year and a half.) Indeed, there are other former Paris Opera etoiles directing companies successfully. Hopefully they will choose someone who values classical ballet more than Dupont, Millepied or Lefevre...... very unlikely in the present climate!

I don't see why it is proving so difficult to find an AD who actually understands that despite the current climate it is still the classical ballets that sell out the big houses across Europe, and that many people out there love it.  For a heritage company like POB to hire ADs who disdain or ignore the artform that has brought them to the fore for two centuries is incomprehensible to me. But then I guess I am just an old dinosaur.  

• Like 23

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, alison said:

I've not been following events in Paris closely enough to know whether this is really a shock or not, and the reasons behind it, but thanks for letting us know, Angela.  So, another vacancy at the head of a top company :( 

Edit: So, she feels it's "job done"?

Maybe not....

Paris Opera dance director resigns amid management criticism (lemonde.fr)

The survey quoted appears to have been done ~ 2018 when Many criticized Ms. Dupont's lack of support and poor communication, and she responded by setting up regular meetings, though it remained unclear to what extent the atmosphere had improved in the aftermath.

Edited by oncnp

1 minute ago, capybara said:

I wonder whether this top new opening will impact on ENB’s recruitment of an AD in any way?

In any case, they all have their applications and CVs still ready 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FionaE said:

And only 6 years in position.   After Millepied was only there for 2 years prior.  Hmm. 

Excluding Brigitte Lefevre's directorship (which lasted for 19 years), the average length of a Paris Opera Ballet directorship since 1958 (when Serge Lifar's second tour-of-duty at the helm ended) is only 3 years. So, Aurelie Dupont's tenure is in line with that trend. In fact, she did better than most. Her stay at the top is comparable to Raymond Franchetti's and Rudolf Nureyev's and better than those of such bold-faced names as Claude Bessy, Violette Verdy, Rosella Hightower. Patrice Bart and Patrick Dupond.

The reality of the Paris Opera Ballet is that the troupe is notoriously ungovernable and can push back hard against a director. Benjamin Millepied discovered that to his detriment. (Lefevre's lengthy tenure speaks to her very astute management and political skills.)

11 hours ago, Sim said:

I don't see why it is proving so difficult to find an AD who actually understands that despite the current climate it is still the classical ballets that sell out the big houses across Europe, and that many people out there love it.  For a heritage company like POB to hire ADs who disdain or ignore the artform that has brought them to the fore for two centuries is incomprehensible to me.  

The challenge with the Paris Opera Ballet is that it's really two companies - a heritage company and a contemporary company. There are many dancers at the Opera who only ever appear in contemporary works. Strong emphasis on the heritage side of things is possible but it would take time and would be akin to changing the direction of an ocean liner.

Edited by miliosr
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Angela said:

Whatever the reason, it is on very short notice - six weeks and she'll be gone. Poor Laurent Hilaire, who just signed his contract at Munich some weeks ago...

I was thinking the same about Legris,  at La Scala for not so long. Oh darn.

Eric Vu-An…for a little diversity? Still the head of the company in Nice (12+ yrs)?

Edited by Jeannette

13 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I was thinking the same about Legris,  at La Scala for not so long. Oh darn.

Eric Vu-An…for a little diversity? Still the head of the company in Nice (12+ yrs)?

I wonder if a "big name" is the route management will take. I think of the former Ballet Mistress Clotilde Vayer (who has assumed leadership of the troupe at Teatro di San Carlo) and the current Ballet Master Lionel Delanoe. Neither one is the flashiest of names but they know the repertory inside-and-out and, more importantly. they understand the Paris troupe and its ways. (That was Benjamin Millepied's undoing.)

When Millepied resigned/was pushed out, then-Opera director Stephane Lissner already had Aurelie Dupont lined up as Millepied's replacement. We'll know soon if there's been a successor waiting in the wings to replace Dupont.

The Paris opera ballet for decades now has made a name for itself as being a very versatile company, they’re one of the few classically based companies that gets the rights to as many contemporary works as they do and with no national contemporary dance troupe based in Paris they won’t want to throw away that audience by going back to just the classics. 

They also, as we all know, have a terrible reputation as being unmanageable. I think the only viable candidates would be someone who has worked in the French system like Vu-An (if he even wants it). I wouldn’t be too worried that it would entice people away from applying for ENB. Direction is no easy job, but Paris makes it seem entirely unappealing. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, capybara said:

The Times is tipping Eleanora Abbagnato from Rome for the job.

She would be a good choice, although I think there's been some unrest among her dancers in the past.

Is there any chance Irek might get it? It's true he's not had a lot of directorial experience but years ago he ran a very good little company, but he's been at POB several years now and could be Nureyev's heir! (Although that would be truer still of Legris, Le Riche, and various others)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

When at ENB, and in interviews, the wonderful Irek has said consistently that he wants to coach, not to manage.

Aaa true. But I love Irek and I think he would be an amazing AD - I'm sure he could still coach?? 

1 hour ago, Sharon said:

Aaa true. But I love Irek and I think he would be an amazing AD - I'm sure he could still coach?? 

He could...but it's all the associated stuff that comes with being an AD that he wants to avoid!!  :)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Aschenbrödl said:

José Martinez did a wonderful job trying to bring classical ballet back into the repertoire of the Spanish CND. POB trained, the epitome of a classical prince, and choreographer. Surely a POB director in the waiting?

Hello Aschenbrödl and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1