Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 Bookings

23 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

I almost had a nightmare but ended up okay in the end. I didn’t want to risk trying to add multiple performances to the basket before checkout only to find my seats unavailable by the time I got to checkout so I booked and paid for each performance individually.

I booked diamonds first - all SCS gone for the date I could attend and luckily got a balcony standing in row C - quite near the centre.

Next was Mayerling ended up accidentally booking twice for each performance I wanted as initially nothing was showing up in the ‘events’ section of my account and no confirmation of booking e mail arrived so I assumed I hadn’t completed the booking. Now I’ve double booked.

Lastly and most annoying was trying to book 4 seats for my husband and I to take the kids to see the nutcracker on New Years Eve. The booking system kept emptying my basket of seats and for some reason it wouldn’t add 4 seats to my basket at once. I had to individually add each seat to the basket in the end. All of this faffing meant that we can no longer all sit together now - we are front row of amphi at right of centre but there is a person in the middle of us with 2 of our seats on either side of them. Very frustrating as at the start of trying to book there were 4 seats together in this location. 

I thought about booking the Lost Dog and Crystal Pite too, but didn’t as there wasn’t much information explaining what they were like on the ROH website. Any ideas anyone?

Hi Angela Essex!

To answer your questions backwards, I too tried looking for info about the Lost Dog production, but all I got from the website was that it was to be a co-production with the Royal Ballet and an “exciting and inventive alternative for the festive season”. Looking at Ben Duke’s cv on the Lost Dog website, he comes from a contemporary dance background and has made lots of productions that include different art forms and diverse performance groups, so I’m guessing his work will be similar, and possibly either quite avant grade or a production that’s more for adults, or both. It could have some Royal Ballet dancers in the cast as well as the Lost Dog company. 

The advance info about Crystal Pite's premiere is that it will definitely follow on from the refugee story and theme of Flight Pattern. She is often known to respond from the heart to topics that crop up as major current issues, so I expect her new ballet may include the aspects of war/invasion whereas Flight Pattern’s characters could have been fleeing war, civil unrest, poverty etc (as was the situation at the time) and focused less on the cause than on the hardship of their journeys.

Pite’s ballet will be full length, and will use the same Górecki symphony, but I suspect it might include either other music or even speech and silence, as she has employed in her other works, as the symphony itself is only long enough for a 1 hour ballet. I have committed a large booking to her piece and it’s  the only time I have ever (apart from charity or student performances) booked without knowing the principal casting as I know she will create a piece that’s heartfelt and stirring, and will give choreography to the dancers that is powerful regardless of who dances it. She’s also outstanding at choreographing for the ensemble, so the corps in her works are often the star as much as any individual soloist or principal. I believe she is incorporating the whole or most of Flight Pattern itself into this work, from what the publicity says. 

Just to say that that the above is just my “guesstimate” and that there’s nothing more (officially) from the companies or ROH apart from what is on the ROH website. Also, very often the choreographers themselves don’t know beforehand 😊 and might change their minds after results from collaboration and rehearsals lead them to try something different. 

You have my sympathy for your booking hassles experienced! I booked between 9.40 and 10.30 - not sure if you booked the moment booking opened at 9.00 on the dot, which can be packed and lead to problems of many people wanting the same seats at the same time etc. Also, I don’t know if one is more likely to lose seats or come across errors if they have two or more windows open to the seat plan at the same time. I did experience a brief glitch when I had 2 windows opened so I closed one and had no further issues. I’m not totally sure why the system didn’t let you book 4 seats together, but the most likely possibility is that someone else was eyeing one or two of those seats at the same time and possibly added one  of them before you did for the whole group. I’ve had that happen to me on Friday Rush days when there are fewer seats to choose from. 

Since there is only one person in between you all, I suspect if you ask this audience member on the day if they would mind swapping seats with one of you and you offer them the most central seat, he or she is likely to say yes to avoid having you all talking over him/her at the intervals! Or just out of sympathy and because he/she may be nice. I’ve never had anyone refuse when they were a lone person stuck in the middle of our group. 😊

About the extra Mayerling ticket, you could either offer it for sale here on the forum or you could email or phone  the box office in advance and ask if they could take it back for resale (they may charge you £4 a ticket unless you can convince them it was due to a glitch though). Best of luck whatever you decide! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Hi Angela Essex!

To answer your questions backwards, I too tried looking for info about the Lost Dog production, but all I got from the website was that it was to be a co-production with the Royal Ballet and an “exciting and inventive alternative for the festive season”. Looking at Ben Duke’s cv on the Lost Dog website, he comes from a contemporary dance background and has made lots of productions that include different art forms and diverse performance groups, so I’m guessing his work will be similar, and possibly either quite avant grade or a production that’s more for adults, or both. It could have some Royal Ballet dancers in the cast as well as the Lost Dog company. 

The advance info about Crystal Pite's premiere is that it will definitely follow on from the refugee story and theme of Flight Pattern. She is often known to respond from the heart to topics that crop up as major current issues, so I expect her new ballet may include the aspects of war/invasion whereas Flight Pattern’s characters could have been fleeing war, civil unrest, poverty etc (as was the situation at the time) and focused less on the cause than on the hardship of their journeys.

Pite’s ballet will be full length, and will use the same Górecki symphony, but I suspect it might include either other music or even speech and silence, as she has employed in her other works, as the symphony itself is only long enough for a 1 hour ballet. I have committed a large booking to her piece and it’s  the only time I have ever (apart from charity or student performances) booked without knowing the principal casting as I know she will create a piece that’s heartfelt and stirring, and will give choreography to the dancers that is powerful regardless of who dances it. She’s also outstanding at choreographing for the ensemble, so the corps in her works are often the star as much as any individual soloist or principal. I believe she is incorporating the whole or most of Flight Pattern itself into this work, from what the publicity says. 

Just to say that that the above is just my “guesstimate” and that there’s nothing more (officially) from the companies or ROH apart from what is on the ROH website. Also, very often the choreographers themselves don’t know beforehand 😊 and might change their minds after results from collaboration and rehearsals lead them to try something different. 

You have my sympathy for your booking hassles experienced! I booked between 9.40 and 10.30 - not sure if you booked the moment booking opened at 9.00 on the dot, which can be packed and lead to problems of many people wanting the same seats at the same time etc. Also, I don’t know if one is more likely to lose seats or come across errors if they have two or more windows open to the seat plan at the same time. I did experience a brief glitch when I had 2 windows opened so I closed one and had no further issues. I’m not totally sure why the system didn’t let you book 4 seats together, but the most likely possibility is that someone else was eyeing one or two of those seats at the same time and possibly added one  of them before you did for the whole group. I’ve had that happen to me on Friday Rush days when there are fewer seats to choose from. 

Since there is only one person in between you all, I suspect if you ask this audience member on the day if they would mind swapping seats with one of you and you offer them the most central seat, he or she is likely to say yes to avoid having you all talking over him/her at the intervals! Or just out of sympathy and because he/she may be nice. I’ve never had anyone refuse when they were a lone person stuck in the middle of our group. 😊

About the extra Mayerling ticket, you could either offer it for sale here on the forum or you could email or phone  the box office in advance and ask if they could take it back for resale (they may charge you £4 a ticket unless you can convince them it was due to a glitch though). Best of luck whatever you decide! 

Thanks for that very useful info Emeralds - I’ve booked for the New Crystal Pite - sounds very moving. Got row A side of Amphi for £15 - if the view from seat function on the roh website is accurate it looks like a clear view of the stage but it is described as restricted view which is confusing so we will see. Can’t quite believe that they are selling a full clear view of stage for that price though???

• Like 1

On 27/07/2022 at 22:01, Angela Essex said:

Hello Emeralds, do you know what the Crystal Pite ballet is about or what it’s going to be like? I couldn’t find much about it on the ROH website so haven’t booked yet. Any info would be very much appreciated. Ditto Lost Dog. Thanks in advance x

I saw Ben Duke/Lost Dog in Paradise Lost (Lies unopened beside me) a few years ago.  He is a very different performer.  There is spoken word as well as movement/dance and I absolutely loved it.

He created Goat for Rambert in (I think) 2019 and I'm afraid I thought it was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

I guess you pays your money and you take your choice.  If I was within easier reach of London I would definitely book his Linbury performance but I'm not travelling from Liverpool to London at the moment.  (I never thought I would say this but current train operators Avanti are not a patch on Virgin Trains!!)

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I’m so saddened with today’s news! 😢

The embroidered golden initials on the ROH’s red velvet curtain will change from “ER” to “CR”!

May Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Rest In Peace.

I am guessing the replacement curtains or replacement embroidery patch have been “in waiting” for some time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

There are photos on Twitter from several people in the audience at tonight's Salome that show the curtains with black patches over the EIIR monograms.

Indeed. It felt very fitting. There was also a minutes silence, and the National Anthem was also played before the performance.

• Like 4

I appreciate the sentiment about the curtains, but the royal family and royal line continues now and that enduring line is what the Queen stood for. I know it will be a shock and sadness to see it change but it is due to her stoicism and sense of duty that it can. If you see what I mean. Maybe they can name part of the House after her.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Was just e-mailed by the ROH informing me it was my last opportunity (hadn't realized there was a first) to win Nutcracker tickets for first night performance on 6 December 2022 at 7.30pm or our Christmas night performance on 22 December 2022 at 7.30pm (both Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Gary Avis, Isabella Gasparini, James Hay).  

Draw tickets are £10 each

The Royal Opera House: Royal Opera House Nutcracker First Night and Christmas Night Draw (enthuse.com)

The Nutcracker Prize (x2):

• Four top-price stall tickets to The Nutcracker
  • A pre-show meal for four in our Piazza Restaurant* and a complimentary bottle of one of our house wines
  • Four Aesop festive gift kits
Edited by oncnp