Royal Ballet’s fundraiser for Ukraine- Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Osipova, Muntagirov in unique combined Swan Lake, 5 May

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I do wish, however, the the ROH would clarify the casting for the special Swan Lake because the uncertainty they have created is not good in several respects.

I think we just need to sit tight for a while...it seems Lauren Cuthbertson has been replaced by Laura Morera in the 23rd April and 2nd May performances of AMITC so maybe there will need to be other positions to be clarified too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

have i missed something here?  what uncertainty has the RB created?

as far as i am aware, the published casting hasn't changed since the evening went on-sale, it remains:

"In a Company first, Principal dancers of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez and Natalia Osipova join forces to share the role of Odette/Odile across the four acts of this iconic repertory favourite."

as well as Muntagirov as Siegfried.  other than this, i have always assumed that the remaining casting will be decided closer to time based on availability and fitness to dance. 

But Vadim's name vanished from the cast at least a couple of weeks ago so perhaps this is the uncertainty referred to. I've no intention of speculating why his name might have been withdrawn but I have contacted the box office twice to ask when the situation might be clarified (the last time was yesterday) and was just told the Prince would be announced as soon as possible and just to keep checking the website. It is annoying as I might not attend if Vadim isn't dancing and if I am going I need to think about booking transport and accommodation.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2022 at 16:17, Sim said:

As far as I’m aware none of the dancers participating is Ukrainian so who would tell them not to dance with Russian dancers? 

I agree that this whole speculation thing is getting out of hand, so I won't add anything to that discussion, but just to note that Marianna Tsembenhoi the Aud Jebsen Young Dancer is Ukrainian and may well be dancing in the corps that night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sophie_B said:

I agree that this whole speculation thing is getting out of hand, so I won't add anything to that discussion, but just to note that Marianna Tsembenhoi the Aud Jebsen Young Dancer is Ukrainian and may well be dancing in the corps that night.

Thanks Sophie. Yes I know Marianna. I was referring more to the 'high profile' dancers (which I am sure Marianna will be  one day!).  I am sure she will be fine dancing in the corps here. She doesn't seem to mind, so hopefully it stays that way across the board.  Everyone is happy to dance with everyone else, as far as I'm aware.  :)

Joonhyuk Jun has posted on IG that he will dance Benno in Acts 1 and 2 and that there will be a second Benno.

Whilst I’m pleased about that casting (and it was obvious that the role of Benno could be divided) it seems unfortunate that news of who will be dancing is leaking out in this way.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, capybara said:

Joonhyuk Jun has posted on IG that he will dance Benno in Acts 1 and 2 and that there will be a second Benno.

At the risk of getting chastised for speculating, this sounds like there will also be two sets of princess sisters 👯‍♀️

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, Candleque said:

At the risk of getting chastised for speculating, this sounds like there will also be two sets of princess sisters 👯‍♀️

Far from being speculation I think that's a reasonable assumption

Goodness me - with all the roles being shared this is going to be one crazy night at the ballet. But this particular subdivision of Rothbart makes perfect sense.

[I actually wish that individual dancers would not post about their roles on social media - being aghast at all the casting will be part of the overall experience later!]

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

Goodness me - with all the roles being shared this is going to be one crazy night at the ballet. But this particular subdivision of Rothbart makes perfect sense.

[I actually wish that individual dancers would not post about their roles on social media - being aghast at all the casting will be part of the overall experience later!]

I wonder what the Rothbart Doubles Union will say about this! With different Rothbarts for I & III and II & IV there's no job for their members in the prologue or the start of act II. Will they go on strike for the rest of the normal shows!!??😮

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Oh my, so multiple princes now as well!! I wonder if that was the original plan or with four Odettes Vadim didn't know if he was coming or going

I heard that the original intention was to have multiple Princes but the ROH’ publicity machine presented it differently.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the third prince will be Hirano or Bracewell, and either Lauren or Sarah will only feature in the prologue for about 20 seconds at most, then

Edited by Rob S

18 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the third prince will be Hirano or Bracewell, and either Lauren or Sarah will only feature in the prologue for about 20 seconds at most, then

Lauren has posted that it is her debut in Liam Scarlett’s Swan Lake. That would suggest more than the Prologue 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, capybara said:

I heard that the original intention was to have multiple Princes but the ROH’ publicity machine presented it differently.

I'd rather assumed that Muntagirov wouldn't be doing the whole thing.  Perhaps the press release wanted to emphasise the "big names"?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Lauren has posted that it is her debut in Liam Scarlett’s Swan Lake. That would suggest more than the Prologue 

I saw that post and to be honest the only thought I had was that it confirmed what I had thought to be a fact, that her performances in 2020 were cancelled due to Covid and she'd been ill/injured for 2018. I didn't think to wonder if that meant that she wasn't the person that drew the Prologue straw. Particularly as Sarah Lamb was eventually withdrawn from last night's performance and replaced by O'Sullivan (maybe that was for another reason).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Particularly as Sarah Lamb was eventually withdrawn from last night's performance and replaced by O'Sullivan (maybe that was for another reason).

My guess with this would be that as Lamb couldn't very well do 16th with McRae, because she has her scheduled performance with Hirano on 17th, perhaps it would have been decided that O'Sullivan should do both performances rather than McRae have to rehearse with 2 Odette/Odiles.

If Ball is doing Act I & someone else Act II then I wonder who will get to do the solo that bridges the 2 acts? Also if Muntagirov is only doing Act III then will he have to put on Siegfried's first costume for the brief "I'm running late!" dash on & off or will the Act II Siegfried do that bit? So many questions! I'm glad they'll get answered in only a few hours' time as I feel like I spent most of last night either lying awake wondering about the SL casting or asleep & dreaming about cast sheets!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

My guess with this would be that as Lamb couldn't very well do 16th with McRae, because she has her scheduled performance with Hirano on 17th, perhaps it would have been decided that O'Sullivan should do both performances rather than McRae have to rehearse with 2 Odette/Odiles.

If Ball is doing Act I & someone else Act II then I wonder who will get to do the solo that bridges the 2 acts? Also if Muntagirov is only doing Act III then will he have to put on Siegfried's first costume for the brief "I'm running late!" dash on & off or will the Act II Siegfried do that bit? So many questions! I'm glad they'll get answered in only a few hours' time as I feel like I spent most of last night either lying awake wondering about the SL casting or asleep & dreaming about cast sheets!

Ball would do that 1-2 bridge surely....he then disappears and Benno comes on to be greeted by Hirano or Bracewell. 

If Sarah is only doing the prologue she'd better be lit better than Anna Rose was last night otherwise her mention in all of this so far will amount to a very dark cameo.

Edited by Rob S

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Bracewell

Have you seen that confirmed or is that what you've put on your betting slip?

All I can say is Sarah better appear as the vision as well or else. ( The else is yet to be decided ).

Edited by Rob S

3 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Have you seen that confirmed or is that what you've put on your betting slip?

All I can say is Sarah better appear as the vision as well or else. ( The else is yet to be decided ).

Bracewell has been rehearsing with Cuthbertson for their upcoming shows..........

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I can't even see either Odette vision from where I'll be sitting. I'll be disappointed if my only glimpse of Lamb were to be the prologue. Would they really bring in a Principal for only a minute of dancing?

• Like 1