Olga Smirnova - Dutch National Ballet

3 hours ago, Sim said:

No surprise there then.  I am full of admiration for her.  I just hope that her family back home is left alone. 

As do I.

I did laugh when I read the announcement though - their loss is definitely our gain. And Olga has the opportunity and freedom to dance a varied exciting repertoire.  And more importantly she has proven to be a woman of principles who stands up for what she believes. And leaves others - ahem Zakharova/Polunin - in startling and disdainful contrast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

The Statement from Bolshoi theatre is from April 2022?🤔

Olga left then, but they have only just officially fired her, retroactively (so taking effect from one year ago):

She was scheduled to return to work next week, but the theatre has now dismissed her retroactively: “Ballerina Olga Smirnova was fired on April 1, 2022"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Olga left then, but they have only just officially fired her, retroactively (so taking effect from one year ago):

She was scheduled to return to work next week, but the theatre has now dismissed her retroactively: “Ballerina Olga Smirnova was fired on April 1, 2022"

they got their retalliation in early, even if it was late...

• Like 1

I think the description here is “You can’t fire me- I quit”. Olga’s words were very definite- “a line has been crossed”. She wasn’t planning to return till the war was over, and Russian troops had left Ukraine - at the very least. The likelihood of her returning to the Bolshoi next week was nil, zero, nada. And that’s from her in person interviews. Besides, she has so much interesting and well remunerated projects lined up in the West. Why even bother to go back.  Sounds like this announcement is from the Kremlin trying to muster up a few nanograms of credibility after losing most of it last week in press conferences.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

On 08/04/2022 at 22:05, FionaE said:

The livestream is now in the calendar.  

6-8 May 2022

Tickets €12.50

booking link here https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dutch-national-ballet/2021-2022/raymonda-stream

CAST:

Raymonda  Maia Makhateli
Abd al-Rahman  Young Gyu Choi
Jean de Brienne  Semyon Velichko

Too excited for this! But looks like it was in 2022 when I click the link?

Edited by Blossom

Guest oncnp

46 minutes ago, Blossom said:

The original post was April 2022 so the stream may have expired by now? 

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

I don’t think the livestream was planned to stay on after 2022, or even more than a few months after the premiere. It was a beautiful and successful production though - I’m sure it will be revived soon and either streamed again, or recorded for tv/DVD-  like their Giselle (also created by Rachel Beaujean, together with Ricardo Bustamante), Cinderella, Mara Hari, Don Quixote etc.

• Like 1

Slipped Disc do like to sensationalise their headlines.  I’ve seen too many from them to have much respect for anything they write.  

Olga asked for a year’s leave of absence.  That is up.  Bolshoi terminated her contract and backdated it to the date she left.  That is all.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Slipped Disc do like to sensationalise their headlines.  I’ve seen too many from them to have much respect for anything they write.  

We don't agree on everything but I concur 100% with this!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Amelia said:
On 22 and 26 September Olga Smirnova and Jacopo Tissi will appear in the lead roles in "Swan Lake" at La Scala. https://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/2022-2023/ballet/swan-lake.html

Hopefully she’ll be back in form by then. She had to cancel her planned performances with the Dutch ballet in the US (Jacob’s Pillow, etc.) due to injury.

https://www.dancemagazine.com/olga-smirnova/

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Olga Smirnova - Dutch National Ballet