Mark Bruce Company - Phantoms, a Triple Bill

Anyone else caught this? I saw this dynamic & thought provoking show in Winchester a few nights ago - my first experience of this company. There was a well attended enlightening after show talk with Mr Bruce afterwards which really rounded the experience.

It was fierce (especially the strong first piece, Green Apples’ a striking duet to White Stripes music) evocative, provocative & really drew you in on a journey that at times had the comforting feel of a childhood bedtime story then turned on a dime to leave you feeling quite chilled. The second two pieces gave me a definite sense of the darker side of fairy tales with a striking cinematic feel to the set/lighting/props/staging. 

The 5 dancers really were amazing for their stamina & versatility as well as their absolute commitment to their characterisations in each piece. Clearly all had very strong classical & contemporary technique. 

In ‘Folk Tales’ I was reminded of an Amish style insular community & all the unknown & hidden mysteries in those type of societies. The third piece ‘Phantoms’ had a horror film noir feel. I was transported to a dangerous hinterland between an industrial urban Detroit type city & somewhere like an arid Arizona desert (I’m sure my geography is way off there, sorry!) There was skilful eye contact out to the audience with the dancers maintaining their characterisations to a truly unnerving effect which, coupled with the sound of wind, really made me feel chilled to the bone. I got a definite sense of vigilante law & rough justice. 

I have to say the talents of Mark Bruce are far & wide in this production - even composing & performing much of the music for Phantoms I believe. 

I’m so glad I went ‘off piste’ from my usual classical slopes to watch this. 

I will most definitely move out of my comfort zone more & will seek out this company again. I can highly recommend going to view with an open mind & soul....

Would love other recommendations of 

dance companies to look out for....thank you 

• Like 6

Great review, Peanut.  If you can ever catch Mark Bruce’s Dracula, it’s more than well worth it.  There’s a review somewhere in the forum that I wrote about it.  It was one of the best things I had seen in years. Not counting ballet, of course!  😀

• Like 5

Sorry if that sounded terse, I was just on my way out.  I saw Mark Bruce company in February 2020 for a performance of Return to Heaven.  As with all his works it was a memorably performance, and it sounds as if Phantoms will be in a similar vein.  Dane Hearst was dancing and as he is now returning to South Africa it may be the last time I will see him dance live.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Sorry if that sounded terse, I was just on my way out.  I saw Mark Bruce company in February 2020 for a performance of Return to Heaven.  As with all his works it was a memorably performance, and it sounds as if Phantoms will be in a similar vein.  Dane Hearst was dancing and as he is now returning to South Africa it may be the last time I will see him dance live.

Dane Hurst was in Leeds last weekend!

Yes Jan, but I am in the South and I don't see Dane Hurst scheduled to perform anywhere near here in the next few months.  (Sorry for mis-spelling Hurst.)  In fact I was wrong on the company too, the last time I saw him was at the first Athelhampton performance in September 2020.  Another memorable performance was when he was in Yorke Dance Project 20th Anniversary in early 2019, Jonathan Goddard was also in the cast!  

Anyway, I am planning to see Phantoms in Salisbury in March.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
missing word
  • Like 2

I’m still umming and aahing about going to the matinee on the 5th as will be in London as staying over after seeing Swan Lake on the Friday. 
Normally this would be an absolutely ideal and fortuitous conversion of events but unfortunately there are going to be travel problems getting back to Brighton that Saturday involving a long part of the journey on a bus which they always fill up before starting on the next one at least when it’s busy! If trains were normal wouldn’t be thinking twice about this but having to weigh up knowing I can travel back when it won’t be busy to seeing the show but travelling back when it will be. Luckily I’ve not been on a really crowded bus where nobody wants any windows open yet but can foresee this happening on these rail

replacement bus services. 
The Company are not going to perform in Brighton this time around unfortunately. 

Edited by LinMM

I’m not going up for my usual London courses this week either….it’s the same situation for ten days …work which is usually at the weekends will happen every day this week so can’t face the journey both there and back again!!! Goodness knows how people working up in London cope with this. One lady in our yoga group says she is taking this week off work…legitimately of course…but not everyone can do that. The ticket price is still the same naturally! 
I really want to see Phantoms so haven’t made a final decision yet but so annoying it can’t be a normal weekend. 

You won’t regret making whatever changes you need to in order to see this production!

A few weeks ago the only way I was looking at all the travel methods & costs to make it to see R&J at ROH. Based on timings etc & fact that SE trains in reduced service I decided in the end to drive right into town & just pay the congestion charge. Parked up at 6.45 in a space 200m from ROH which was free to park as after 6.30pm. Reckon even with the congestion charge it was easier & cheaper the tube & train & station parking if I’d driven to a station nearer London big that I’d still  be able to get a train to after the ballet. And was in comfort & safety of car door to door. Perhaps not the most eco friendly  though….& it was pretty exhausted as it was a very late end…I got home at 2.45am with school run at 7.50am. Ouch….. but Nunez as Juilier so worth it!! 

• Like 2

We're looking forward to seeing this at Dance East in Ipswich in March - sounds like a cracker and we love that venue as it is so intimate.  A couple of weeks earlier we've got James Wilton Dance Company doing Four Seasons there, which also looks interesting.

Peanut68 - as another  company recommendation, keep an eye out for Jasmin Vardamon Company; more dance theatre than pure dance but often very innovative, and hugely entertaining. 

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I’ve not heard of that or the James Wilton dance company either so will get googling!! 

with Jasmin Vardamon, the production to look out for is Medusa, which is excellent. We recently saw Pinocchio, also good fun. 

• Thanks 1

It's on at Wilton's until March 5th. I was particularly taken by Folk Tales: Phantoms itself was a little episodic but still delivered some goosebumps moments. Mark Bruce has a very individual style and taste, and he has found the collaborators that work in sympathy with that. The company are all terrific dancers, but if I was forced to choose it would be Jonathan Goddard in the song Beaulampkin in Folk Tales, pivoting in an instant from the concerned father to the sinister intruder just by donning a hat and shifting the expression in his compelling eyes.  Very much worth your time. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

We saw Phantoms at Dance East on Friday.  Green Apples is a great attention-grabbing opener, full of energy and shifting dynamics between the couple. Folk Tales was my favourite, moving from bravura display to nursery rhyme horror to folksy humour. Phantoms itself was pretty bonkers, to use a technical term, and I gave up trying to follow the plot somewhere around the point where a goblin gets distracted from gutting a villain by his mobile phone ringing. I thought it needed tightening a bit, but the dancing was excellent. For me too, Jonathan Goddard was the outstanding dancer of the evening, fluid, assured and able to convey characters.  The whole company was impressive though, and I note that several have a Rambert background. Great stuff.

• Like 3